FYRLYT - The new standard in driving lights?

FYRLYT - The new standard in driving lights?

Postby NowForThe5th on Mon May 13, 2013 11:41 am

Over the weekend I had the opportunity to be part of some real world testing of a few different driving lights, comparing to the new boy on the block, Fyrlyt.

To say that I was impressed would be an understatement. These are possibly the best lights I've ever seen, and I've seen and owned all the big names, plus a few others. Well made with innovative design features that recognise the harsh reality of life on the front of a moving vehicle plus light output that puts even boosted HIDs to shame.

Here are a few pictures:

As a reference point, standard Triton low beam
Click to view larger picture

Standard Triton high beam

Nane (1 x spot, 1 x spread) with 100 watt HID, 8000K

Hella Rallye 4000 Ref 17.5 spread driving beam, standard 100 watt halogen bulbs

Lightforce Genesis spot beam, with 35 watt HID, 4300K

Fyrlyt, spread beam mode

Fyrlyt, spot beam mode

Distance to the tree at the end of the road was 420m. Not ideal for very long range beams but indicative for comparison purposes.

A couple of comments:
- Don't be deceived by the mass of light from the boosted HIDs - notice how little you can see outside of the immediate lit area
- The Lightforce Genesis were much too narrow in this company, even though they are much wider than other Lightforce offerings
- Look at how well the halogen lights (both Hella and Fyrlyt) light up the edges of the road and the colour and contrast definition of things like the telegraph poles.

Edit: I believe about $600/set although street prices may be a little lower. Not bad value for 5000 lumens/light.
Last edited by NowForThe5th on Mon May 13, 2013 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Re: FYRLYT - The new standard in driving lights?

Postby borngeek on Mon May 13, 2013 1:50 pm

Very nice! :mrgreen:
Aussie designed & MFG'ed too. 8-) Quality all the way. :D

//What sort of dollars for a set? (not that I have anywhere to put them... :oops: Meh, just pull the LF240's off. :lol: )

Don't be a tool, use this: FORUM DIRECTORY

Did you search first?

FL/LSD FTW

Sucks to be you, glad I bought a 3.2 :lol:
borngeek
Platinum Subscriber

Postby motoz on Mon May 13, 2013 2:27 pm

Anyone want a set of Narva 225's...

These new lights look great. What price point are they at?
One day your life will flash before your eyes. Will it be a good show ???
motoz
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Kegsy on Mon May 13, 2013 3:17 pm

To the untrained eye (me lol) id say the hella was the best...?

Quite a shock though the hids dont seem a patch on the hella or the fyrlyt.

Got me wondering how my narva extremes would fair...
Triton be gone :cry:
Kegsy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby peterdeg on Mon May 13, 2013 3:29 pm

Slightly off topic but personally, would love to see shots of standard lights but with Phillips +100's and/or Narva +120's included in your comparison. The interim upgrade until you (ie. me) can afford a 'real' solution ;-)
Peter
2011 MN GLX-R manual.
Some pics here.
Build thread here.

4WD History: 2004 NP GLS Pajero DiD. 2002 Freelander Td4. 1996 Subaru DL wagon. Learnt in a 1980 F100.
peterdeg
Platinum Subscriber

Postby schem81 on Mon May 13, 2013 3:47 pm

Saw these today, at the shop where I get my 4x4 accessories from. The person who had them fitted had had water get into them. From what he said the company that make them just swapped them over no questions asked, and they r going to test to see if its a product fault or manufacturer issue. Which is great as they are doing the right thing by the customer whilst making a name for themselves. Apart from that I too was impressed with how bright they r.
Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.
schem81

Postby Kingbrown on Mon May 13, 2013 4:27 pm

Guess it's horses for courses really.

For my style of driving, I couldn't give a toss what's 500m or more down the road. I don't want to focus on a bush that's a km up the road (not the vegetative kind anyway :lol: ) It's those mongrels lurking in the verges and ready to jump out immediately in front that will catch you out each and every time :evil:

Think of it this way: 110km/h has us hurtling along at about 30m/s. If we can't react to an object on the road that's more than 10 or 15 seconds away, then we shouldn't be driving.

NFT5th: How do the FYRLYT's compare in this regard (ie spread coverage) . . . . ?
Kingbrown
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Froggy on Mon May 13, 2013 4:35 pm

Kingbrown wrote:Guess it's horses for courses really.

For my style of driving, I couldn't give a toss what's 500m or more down the road. I don't want to focus on a bush that's a km up the road (not the vegetative kind anyway :lol: ) It's those mongrels lurking in the verges and ready to jump out immediately in front that will catch you out each and every time :evil:

Think of it this way: 110km/h has us hurtling along at about 30m/s. If we can't react to an object on the road that's more than 10 or 15 seconds away, then we shouldn't be driving.

NFT5th: How do the FYRLYT's compare in this regard (ie spread coverage) . . . . ?

I agree. I chose both spreads on my narva 225s and i feel they are still too focussed.

I seem to remember a thread started by an owner of fyrlyt who was a disgruntled founder of light force originally or something along those lines...
Froggy

Postby NowForThe5th on Mon May 13, 2013 4:54 pm

Kingbrown wrote:NFT5th: How do the FYRLYT's compare in this regard (ie spread coverage) . . . . ?

Those Hella spreads are the Ref 17.5 model which is not available in Australia. They're wider than the ones sold here. To my eye the Fyrlyt were very close in width, maybe a little less streaky but had much more punch down the middle. That's in spread beam mode. In spot mode they were way wider than the Rallye 4000 HID spots with similar range.

peterdeg wrote:Slightly off topic but personally, would love to see shots of standard lights but with Phillips +100's and/or Narva +120's included in your comparison.

The intention is to do another test in a few weeks, this one including a new light bar. I'll try to swap the bulbs in my standard lights to the high output Philips, which I have a set of...............somewhere.

motoz wrote:These new lights look great. What price point are they at?

I understand they have an RRP around $600/set.
Chris

NowForThe5th

Postby Lunny on Mon May 13, 2013 5:05 pm

IMHO the hids look as if they are not adjusted correctly, the beam seems to be heading to the top of the tree.

I have been told my a friend who runs a cattle transport business that he had a set of the fyrlyts he brought them as the lightforces he had were getting old and they looked familiar, due to the corrugations the front of the lens fell out and chucked them out as he said he cant rely on a light that falls apart, he now runs a set of narva HD HIDS and a light bar and said its the best light set up he has ever seen.

I would prefer to run the hid and a light bar, in saying that though, im going to be running 3 lightbars lol

but thats my 3.4 cents worth

lunny
Lunny
Lunny

Postby 4WD Supplies on Mon May 13, 2013 5:17 pm

These really are a great bit of gear and yes the guy that designed and manufactured them is an ex lightforce employee, there was alot of stories going around as to how it all came about but after hearing it from the horses mouth i say good on him.

Correct me if im wrong 5th but dont these lights run at a higher wattage or something like that? I remember the owner telling me about them but be buggered if i knew what he was taking about. :oops:
4WD Supplies

Postby odie602r on Mon May 13, 2013 5:39 pm

150w. hope they don't blow out back somewhere, not many places out there would have spares. Unless they've come down i think they were at least $600 each only a couple of months back
Last edited by odie602r on Mon May 13, 2013 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
the truth will set you free

My build thread:
http://www.newtriton.net/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=11704
odie602r
Platinum Subscriber

Postby NowForThe5th on Mon May 13, 2013 5:58 pm

Yes, 150w Xenophot (whiter) but standard 6.35mm pin so same as the Lightforce halogen bulb format. Think I heard mention that spares were under $15. That price was per set, Odie, not each.

I was hopeful that we could have tested with the 100 watt versions but they were just on loan. There will be another opportunity, even if we have to involve someone who sells them.
Chris

NowForThe5th

Postby odie602r on Mon May 13, 2013 9:06 pm

NowForThe5th wrote:That price was per set, Odie, not each.

:o don't tell me that, I just purchased a set of Narva 225 HIDs today for $510. I'd looked at the FYRLYT's a couple of months back but the price was too much ......... :?
the truth will set you free

My build thread:
http://www.newtriton.net/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=11704
odie602r
Platinum Subscriber

Postby NowForThe5th on Mon May 13, 2013 10:09 pm

Chris

NowForThe5th

Postby borngeek on Tue May 14, 2013 7:34 am

The truth will set you free. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Don't be a tool, use this: FORUM DIRECTORY

Did you search first?

FL/LSD FTW

Sucks to be you, glad I bought a 3.2 :lol:
borngeek
Platinum Subscriber

Postby DocBassett on Tue May 14, 2013 12:01 pm

For me, the only image I can see here that demonstrates a well lit verge are the 100w HID's. The rest leave shadows on the left side verge- some are pitch black. This is where the roo's etc are going to come from. Also how can you compare spot beams to spread beams and state that the spots are too narrow??? that's what they are for. If you want a wider beam, compare it to other spreads. It's like saying that my dunlop all-terrains aren't as good in mud as the KM2's. deeerrrr.
DocBassett

Postby myself62 on Tue May 14, 2013 12:12 pm

I think to make a good comparison you need to do it in pairs (spot and spread)
As far as the genesis being to narrow, thats what its for and that works well with my set up which is genesis in the middle and a lightforce 270 striker either side of it with wide lenses.
I get a huge spread and the genesis pencil gives me a very nice, narrow pencil beam.
If you can do it all again in pairs it would be an interesting comparison.
Bruno.
myself62

Postby Cowboy Dave on Tue May 14, 2013 12:15 pm

The fyrlyts have more than one mode as I understand it so your tyre analogy might be a little inapt.

You're also failing to allow for the fact that in some shots the lights were on the left and in others they were in the centre of the road which is bound to create a different pattern on the verge.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby DocBassett on Tue May 14, 2013 1:46 pm

That would make it very hard to deduce an outcome then based on these photos alone- I didn't take into consideration that the lights were on opposite sides- i assumed when comparing they'd be done equally. As myself62 stated, would be great to see them done in pairs (obviously a pain in the arse to do and probably not feasible with borrwed lights etc). But is a good write up to see the comparison, especially the way it has been done in the same location. I wish my lights were up there to compare. distance and spread aside, I still prefer the whiter light of a HID, especially when doing long distance to keep me alert.
DocBassett

Postby Homer on Tue May 14, 2013 2:24 pm

I can't cop the really white HID's. They're only good way out west where there are no road signs or you spend more time squinting and looking away from the road due to sign glare :(
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Everything you want to find or know about the Triton - click here
Easy how to search on this site - click here
Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby Crash486 on Tue May 14, 2013 4:58 pm

Since its so easy to remove the lens, globe and reflector without tools in under 1 minute, I can't see how anyone could have a set of these for long. Think I'll go for the 225's in halogen , both spread (Narva that is).
Crash486

Postby Lunny on Tue May 14, 2013 5:15 pm

we should line up a group meet to compare lights, all brands and take photos from one place and park the cars in the same spot. even if it means line marking a spot to park.

that would be the best way to do it.

lunny
Lunny
Lunny

Postby NowForThe5th on Tue May 14, 2013 6:17 pm

Crikey Lunny and you too, Doc. Give us a break! We went down there in single digit temperatures on a Saturday night to get some comparisons and satisfy our own curiosity about these new lights and make some sort of comparison versus the lights on our own vehicles. Came back and shared some photos and my thoughts for those who might be interested.

None of us are professional photographers, nor are we lighting engineers. I accept that our testing methods may have been better and I've already said that we intend to back up again in a few weeks time with some ideas to improve the results, including taking measurements of the lighting levels at various points and using a single position to test from, comparing standard and alternative options for headlights. plus some other things that might improve the photos. Even invite some retailers who may wish to show their wares.

The idea of this thread was to share and foster some discussion on the Fyrlyt lights, which may be of interest to others. It wasn't to invite armchair criticism of the photos or our testing methods. If you think you can do better, be my guest. Or you can join us and we can include your lights in the comparison. The more the merrier, as they say. ;)
Chris

NowForThe5th

Postby har05l on Tue May 14, 2013 6:22 pm

NowForThe5th wrote:If you think you can do better, be my guest. Or you can join us and we can include your lights in the comparison. The more the merrier, as they say. ;)

Oh goodie, camping trip with lots of rum :lol:
[censored]
har05l
Platinum Subscriber

Next

Return to Electrical