All those with carputer...

All those with carputer...

Postby Jitsukablue on Sat Sep 20, 2008 11:09 am

One day I'll get around to fitting one of these, but I was thinking, what better way is there to document a trip than to install a little camera to take snaps of your trip to the hard drive. Also be useful just driving around the burbs as evidence. Like a rear camera, just installed on the rear view mirror or on the front somewhere.

Just a thought.
He who dies with the most toys, wins
It's not the size of the dog in the fight that matters...
Jitsukablue

Re: All those with carputer...

Postby Coled on Sun Sep 21, 2008 10:42 am

Hey Jitsukablue,
Thought the same thing as you once i've got my gear installed. I thought it might help the misses getting a sore eye from hitting herself in the eye with the video camera while on rough tracks. :lol:
Coled

Postby Iron_eagle70 on Sun Sep 21, 2008 12:30 pm

Had been thinking of that also. I would think a decent webcam would do the trick facing out the front. Then their software could run in the background or whatever. Take single pictures or video. Or if you really wanted to get flash I guess you could mount a good HiDef video camera on a mount and stream the video to the HD of the CarPC.

Just my thoughts.
Life isn't like a box of chocolates. It's more like a jar of jalapenos. What you do today, might burn your butt tomorrow
Iron_eagle70

Postby Jitsukablue on Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:37 am

Mate, you'd need an array of hard drives to capture HD. I've got a HD handcam that records onto tape. You're looking at 2 GB an hour fully compressed, or 160 megabytes per second (not bits per second, bytes) (500 GB an hour) uncompressed. I have to capture from the tape it in SD-DVD quality, do all the editing on the SD-DVD quality then save in SD or HD compressed. Standard PCs lack the capability to edit native HD.
He who dies with the most toys, wins
It's not the size of the dog in the fight that matters...
Jitsukablue

Return to Electrical