Installing new speakers

Re: Installing new speakers

Postby insomniac92 on Wed Dec 16, 2015 4:29 pm

Four of us wrote:I'm thinking of installing some split speakers in my GLX. The question is does anyone know if any brand of splits will fit in the lower corner of the door panel where I assume they fit in the GLXR and are they easy to install?

I put focal splits in mine. You may have to fab something up or stick them in with something, but there's a fair bit of room in there.
insomniac92
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Cowboy Dave on Wed Dec 16, 2015 4:33 pm

You can buy a little pod for the tweeters on ebay. Might be easier and neater.

Salt I bypassed the amp because I put in a bigger one on the other side.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby brentus on Thu Dec 17, 2015 3:45 pm

I was going to bypass the amp because if I put in the focal splits then the crossover in the amp will bugger things up........ I think. Because the splits have there own crossover.
I was also told that a decent head unit and decent speakers will still be better than the factory unit/speakers/amp.
I'm just really hoping that it's not salesman speak leading me down that path. :roll:
Going to search around here now and see if it's plausible to move the trip meter display thing.
If it isn't scratched then you're not doing it right.

09 GLXR Trion
Cub camper
brentus

Postby Four of us on Thu Dec 17, 2015 9:29 pm

I have started to change the rear speakers on my 14 GLX . My question is...is the yellow wire on the rear left side pos or neg? Thanks
Four of us

Postby NowForThe5th on Thu Dec 17, 2015 10:00 pm

See my post #3 on page 1 of this thread. ;)
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby Cowboy Dave on Thu Dec 17, 2015 10:03 pm

Four of us wrote:I have started to change the rear speakers on my 14 GLX . My question is...is the yellow wire on the rear left side pos or neg? Thanks

Positive

http://mmc-autoelectric.org.ua/manuals/eur/l200/IMG/90/HDC14E01AC00ENG.pdf
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby Four of us on Fri Dec 18, 2015 5:02 am

Thanks guys
Four of us

Postby RHKTriton on Fri Dec 18, 2015 6:24 am

If you consider the car audio has evolved from a stereo output with 5W to two speakers to typically 25W to each of four units and the actual volume of the vehicle cab, the standard installs aren't too bad these days.

That said, swapping in a more featured head/amp unit and more efficient speakers does result in noticeable improvements. For me I can't justify the the huge booster amp and sub woofer, space is not at a premium in a twin cab. :lol:

Your never going to have HiFi in a vehicle (unless its not running and fully kitted out with sound dampening), rather put the money into my home audio.
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Four of us on Fri Dec 18, 2015 2:30 pm

Just fitted some new rear Sony speakers. It's amazing how much difference a set of cheap rear speakers make. Next on the list is a set of pioneer front component speakers. Thanks to this thread it made it a lot easier to do rather than paying someone to do it.
Four of us

Postby dieselweasel on Fri Dec 18, 2015 3:33 pm

Ive seen in repco that they have some insane deals on speakers, dont quote me but saw a set of triton sized jvc's 250w for $25, im sure that's what they were
Proud owner of 'Wheelbarrow'
dieselweasel

Postby brentus on Tue Dec 22, 2015 6:58 pm

Thanks cowboy dave :D
If it isn't scratched then you're not doing it right.

09 GLXR Trion
Cub camper
brentus

Speaker and headunit upgrade suggestions ?

Postby amyh4n on Mon Jul 18, 2016 4:18 pm

Hi I want to upgrade my stock speakers in Triton MN 4X4 just wodering if people can suggest some tried and tested speakers. Running stock GLR doubledin Headunit

1- Should I put components in all four doors or components in front and coaxial in back ?
2- Budget $400 for all four
3- Want to upgrade my stock double din GLR headunit budget $400 for that as well any suggestions ?

total budget $800

would love nice crisp base and vocals

thanks guys
amyh4n

Postby Thomas.keith95 on Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:54 am

Hey guys trying to find out how to remove the cover from the rear speakers in my MN Triton GLXR 2011, do you have to take all the door covers off?

Cheers
Thomas.keith95

Postby NowForThe5th on Sat Mar 11, 2017 11:02 am

Yes, the grille is moulded into the door trim panel. See photos early in this thread.
Chris

NowForThe5th

Postby davros on Sat Mar 11, 2017 5:02 pm

Hi Chris,

Did you relocate the Rv meter yourself or have a car audio place do if for you?

Cheers,

David

Click to view larger picture
MY09 GLX-R 3.2
davros

Postby NowForThe5th on Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:52 pm

Hi David. Yes, I did it all myself. Back in those days there was almost nothing available aftermarket so we owners had to be creative.

A bit more information here. I seem to remember a photo of all the wiring too, but haven't been able to find it.

Bottom line is that I simply extended each and every wire. Cut, solder one end, solder the other end and then realise I'd forgotten to slide the heat shrink on. Unsolder, fit heat shrink, resolder..... :lol:
Chris

NowForThe5th

Postby SLIMaxPower on Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:15 pm

I have the upgrade bug again. I initially put in some gear from supercheap - sony splits in the front and sony co-axials in the back and a 4 channel focal amp. That amp lasted 2 days before one channel blew, got it replaced and has worked fine since.

Then I put 2 6" bazooka tubes running off a single channel alpine amp in behind the back seats. I removed all the crap from behind there including the center seat belt and latch. So there are 2 amps mounted in there now as well as dual 8 guage cable run from the battery fused to a busbar which then feeds into the tub to power my compressor in the tub.

Now I want to upgrade both front and rear door speakers to some good quality splits and a bigger amp to drive them.
SLIMaxPower
Platinum Subscriber

Postby NowForThe5th on Sun Mar 12, 2017 2:38 am

I used the Jaycar 3-ways in the Triton and was happy enough with them - nothing seemed to unsettle them at all. In the Pajero I went Sony splits in the front and Pioneer 2 ways in the rear and they're a bit better. For even better still search for what Cowboy Dave did with Clarions - sound is really nice. We fitted some Alpine splits in Tony's MN which blew me away - beautiful sound, even without an amp and just the MMCS headunit.

One of the lessons I've learnt is that matching amp and speakers is really important. At home I have some speakers that I designed and made to match a Sony receiver/amp. Sound was truly astounding. Recently had to replace the receiver which I did with a Yamaha and the sound isn't anywhere near as good although the Yamaha was technically a big improvement over the Sony.
Chris

NowForThe5th

Postby BillMcQuade on Sun Mar 12, 2017 5:32 am

NowForThe5th wrote:I used the Jaycar 3-ways in the Triton and was happy enough with them - nothing seemed to unsettle them at all.

+1 for the Jaycar units. I have run them in several cars, and they punch well above what their cost suggests. I also use Jaycar speakers in my home audio setup, and their active subs are especially good.
White 2013 MN GLX+ manual

"Tuned by Doctor Diesel"
BillMcQuade
Platinum Subscriber

Postby NowForThe5th on Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:37 am

Agree, although limited to their Response or Venom series. Their standard stuff can be a bit ordinary.

I don't think they sell the active sub range any more. Shame, really. I built an 8" sub into the bottom of each of the front towers at home, each powered by one of their 80W subwoofer amplifier modules. Amazing! The windows and gyprock vibrates. :lol:
Chris

NowForThe5th

Postby BillMcQuade on Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:07 pm

NowForThe5th wrote:Agree, although limited to their Response or Venom series. Their standard stuff can be a bit ordinary.

I don't think they sell the active sub range any more. Shame, really. I built an 8" sub into the bottom of each of the front towers at home, each powered by one of their 80W subwoofer amplifier modules. Amazing! The windows and gyprock vibrates. :lol:

Yeah, I like the Response stuff.

I have the 15" active sub. The volume is turned down fairly low :lol:
White 2013 MN GLX+ manual

"Tuned by Doctor Diesel"
BillMcQuade
Platinum Subscriber

Postby davros on Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:43 pm

Thanks Chris,

I think that's where i'll relocate mine to when I get a new 2 din head unit

cheers,

David

NowForThe5th wrote:Hi David. Yes, I did it all myself. Back in those days there was almost nothing available aftermarket so we owners had to be creative.

A bit more information here. I seem to remember a photo of all the wiring too, but haven't been able to find it.

Bottom line is that I simply extended each and every wire. Cut, solder one end, solder the other end and then realise I'd forgotten to slide the heat shrink on. Unsolder, fit heat shrink, resolder..... :lol:
MY09 GLX-R 3.2
davros

Mitsubishi Power Sound System (MPSS) - Speakers MY09

Postby davros on Mon May 15, 2017 7:37 pm

Hi Again,

Up until the weekend my plan was to replace the speakers as the first stage of my stereo upgrade of my MY09, I had already purchased some infinity speakers to replace the originals - the idea being to retain the factory amp in the first instance.

The Infinity's are rated at 70 watts at 3 ohms, splits for the fronts and 2 ways for the rear, I also purchased some dynamat.

So I removed the passenger side front door trim and the first thing I noticed was there seemed to be quite a bit of insulation covering the cavities in the inner door frame. Now it's no Dynamat but it is much more than I was expecting (none!)

There is also some insulation on the back of the door trim itself:

The next surprise was that the actual speakers themselves were considerably better than I was expecting (again I hadn't set a high expectation here).

40 Watts at 2 ohms, looks to be Mitsubishi Electric as per the amp and head unit

Not sure how the teeter cone got deformed given it has 2 grilles protecting it - lack of attention on the production line perhaps?

So the upshot of all this is I am now going to upgrade the head unit first as I think I will get more value out of a double din unit with cameras, android auto etc than replacing these speakers without upgrading the amp and the speaker wires as well.

As a side note, I had looked long and hard on net for info on the factory amplifier but had no luck finding its wattage and impedance, looking at the speakers it would seem that it is (at most) 40 watts RMS at 2 ohms. Not sure if this is the same set up as the MN and challenger, someone with a newer model who has turfed the amp and speakers could probably confirm.

Cheers,

David
MY09 GLX-R 3.2
davros

Postby Beauzoladz on Tue May 23, 2017 12:36 pm

Hi does anyone know how to take door trims off the mq without wrecking it tia
Beauzoladz

Postby NowForThe5th on Tue May 23, 2017 1:04 pm

Chris

NowForThe5th

PreviousNext

Return to Electrical