Installing new speakers

Re: Installing new speakers

Postby Headley on Wed May 24, 2017 10:09 am

Side question, how are you going going with the soldering iron?

Do you use lead based solder?

Solder the wire separately, drop a blob of solder onto the electrical lead then heat them together?
Headley

2012 Triton Speaker replacement

Postby hatlesschimp on Wed May 24, 2017 7:38 pm

Hi lads,

I pick up my mew 2012 triton on wednesday and I want to upgrade the speakers. Im hoping I can fit the Focal PS165fx in the doors and fit the tweeters. Jas anyone done this? What size are the original speakers in a 2012 Triton. Do you think i should upgrade the original headunit and add an amp? I know an amp will allow the speakers to reach their potential but just wondering how loud the front speakers really need to be.The speakers come with their own cross overs which is nice. Thanks lads.
hatlesschimp

Re: 2012 Triton Speaker replacement

Postby Muddy 1 on Wed May 24, 2017 8:11 pm

I put a pair of Orion xtr 6.5 inch splits in the front on 25 mm spacers and 6.5 xtrs in the rears worked a treat! Also sound deadened and sealed the door enclosure which makes a big difference in a tinny Triton ( I'm a car audio/ electronics installer by trade hence the OCD) and have the whole car amped up.... In relation to how loud do your speakers really have to be??? How loud do you want to go? :D
If you don't want to replace the head unit you can still run a amp to power your speakers and maybe a sub if your inclined to get some nice crisp sound.

Cheers Matt
It wasn't me!!!
Muddy 1

Postby hatlesschimp on Wed May 24, 2017 9:33 pm

Muddy 1 wrote:I put a pair of Orion xtr 6.5 inch splits in the front on 25 mm spacers and 6.5 xtrs in the rears worked a treat! Also sound deadened and sealed the door enclosure which makes a big difference in a tinny Triton ( I'm a car audio/ electronics installer by trade hence the OCD) and have the whole car amped up.... In relation to how loud do your speakers really have to be??? How loud do you want to go? :D
If you don't want to replace the head unit you can still run a amp to power your speakers and maybe a sub if your inclined to get some nice crisp sound.

Cheers Matt

What amp would you recommend? Thanks for the help. Also how does the stock headunit connect to an amp. Does it have rca?
hatlesschimp

Postby Muddy 1 on Thu May 25, 2017 6:39 am

Amp brand really depends on budget mate. Im only a installer not a seller as such so i dont really have a preference. As far as hooking up you can get a amp with high level input which simply uses your existing speaker wiresfrom your head unit as a input or buy a hi-low converter which converts the same speaker wires to rca's ( my preferred method)
Cheers Matt
It wasn't me!!!
Muddy 1

Postby beej75 on Thu May 25, 2017 1:28 pm

Muddy 1 wrote:Also sound deadened and sealed the door enclosure which makes a big difference in a tinny Triton ( I'm a car audio/ electronics installer by trade hence the OCD) and have the whole car amped up....

Hi there Muddy,

Re: sound deadening and sealing up the doors, have you either got time to run through this, specific to Tritons, or otherwise a particular resource (url) that explains how to do it in a way you consider good, and products used etc?

Other than putting an aftermarket Kenwood single-DIN DAB+ headunit and (cheap but good) Jensen splits in my MK, I haven't dabbled in car audio for well over a decade.

I expect to be the owner of a new MQ Triton in the coming month or so, and already have a decent Amp I plan to install, with the idea of running a slimline sub behind the rear seat, and splits up front in place of factory units.

I really wanna get the fronts mounted well and not vibrating. In my teens I once siliconed marine carpet tiles to the inside of the outer door skin behind the drivers. I hope to move on from my ghetto ways of the past.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
beej75

Postby dieselweasel on Thu May 25, 2017 4:43 pm

Beej, if it works, then it works, I used K-fart yoga matting in the doors, two layers in the door and one layer on the inside of the removable panel and I was impressed with the difference, yes it's ghetto but it's very effective
Proud owner of 'Wheelbarrow'
dieselweasel

Postby Muddy 1 on Thu May 25, 2017 8:38 pm

Hi Beej75 I took photos of the whole process which I'll post as soon as I find them. Over the years I have tried all sorts of different techniques but what I tell people is you really want to add a bit of mass/ weight ( dynamat or something similar) to your outer door skins ie if you knock on my doors they sound like knocking on a brick instead of sounding tinny.
Second I sealed up all of the holes in the inner skin with dynamat type material just cutting out holes for door lock and latch cables. Then I got some insulex ( the 6mm silver stuff they put inside wall cavities of houses) and made a complete inner skin that fits under the door skin. Each door takes about a hour and a half to do but now my car is as quiet inside as my wife's Maxima. I also put insulex on top of my roof lining and dynamat and insulex on the floors.
It wasn't me!!!
Muddy 1

Postby beej75 on Tue May 30, 2017 10:32 am

Thx Muddy, would love to see those pics. I can visualise most of it, but yeah ... one person's 'inner' is another person's 'under'.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
beej75

Postby gunn parker on Tue May 30, 2017 3:02 pm

Hi
Is there a thread on how to remove the door skin to get to the speakers?
cheers
gunn parker

Postby NowForThe5th on Tue May 30, 2017 6:24 pm

This one. First page.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby gunn parker on Wed May 31, 2017 10:06 am

NowForThe5th wrote:This one. First page.

Great, thanks. I missed that page :oops:
gunn parker

Postby beej75 on Mon Jul 03, 2017 1:10 pm

Just curiously to those in here that have gone through the process of replacing factory speakers in the front doors - do you think there's any way a 7in driver would fit?

Obviously, the technique of hacking the original speaker out of the spacer and re-using it wouldn't work. I'm wondering if I could saw & route some MDF sheets laminated to the appropriate thickness (that spacer looks to be about 30mm?) to both fit the odd polygonal hole in the metalwork and fit the 7in driver.

I know I could wait until I pick up the car in a few weeks, but I'm eyeing off some never-used component units on eBay and they'll finish before then.

Other than needing to probably cut a hole in the skin (since the grille holes already present probably aren't 7in diameter) and putting an aftermarket grille on the outside, is there any other spacing issues I might face?

One more question - is the factory speaker cable up to the task of handling amplified signal? Or are they of puny gauge variety? I'd love to not have to try and run my own cable into the door. Did that with my MK and it was an absolute PITA. Unless there's some trade secret for doing this I don't know of....
beej75

Postby ag9111 on Mon Jul 03, 2017 1:25 pm

ML/MN or MQ?
I love cats, but I couldn't eat a full one!

Mud is like unprotected sex
30 secs of fun for a lifetime of grief
ag9111
Platinum Subscriber

Postby beej75 on Mon Jul 03, 2017 2:15 pm

Sorry - MQ.

Now I realise I jumped directly to this thread previously in Tapatalk without realising it's in the 'Fourth Gen' group, not 'Fifth Gen'.

I'll see if anyone's messed around with upgrading speakers there and if not ... well, I'll guess I can be guinea pig.
beej75

Postby Yeah james on Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:26 pm

Hi there just wandering if I can replace tweeters and mid range speakers in my Triton without a crossover or do I need to add that in as theyre splits
Yeah james

Postby NowForThe5th on Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:08 pm

The standard system just has a cap on the tweeter, which works well enough on the low power output.

If you're intending to change the speakers to a split system then the better ones come with a crossover and this is preferable, especially if you intend to add an amp, now or later.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby Top End Wrangler on Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:47 pm

Hi Guys, I have a 2008 GLX-R with an aftermarket head unit ( screen and separate cd/dvd player). I am now wanting to upgrade the factory speakers. It has the factory amp under the passenger seat.

Question is, the fronts have factory tweeters near the mirrors and separate door speakers. When I purchase new component speakers for the front, do I need to use the spitter/filter thing or can I just wire up to the existing wiring (Just plug and play so to speak) ?

Guys at JB Hifi were no help, just confused me more. Appreciate any advise.
Top End Wrangler

Previous

Return to Electrical