ML GLX-R Audio Options

Re: ML GLX-R Audio Options

Postby K-Spec on Sat Sep 06, 2014 12:56 pm

Hey guys,

It has been quite a long while since i last posted on NewTriton. As some may be aware my first Triton had to be taken back by the dealer after a few weeks of ownership and a new vehicle eventually given to me due to some ongoing gearbox/transfer case issues as reported back in 2012, but the new one hasn't had an issue so far with just over 30,000km on the clock.

Back on topic, i was just curious if the members that have brought the double decker shroud also got the update info unit? I am about to change the factory stereo to a double DIN touch screen and would like to keep the information screen if possible however i am not a big fan of trying to cut an shut it like "rodeddy's" awesome effort to make my standard unit fit. From the attached pic above it looks like a different Info Unit with slimmer buttons etc to fit the shroud may be available but when searching the net i can't seem to find any info as to if it is a factory of aftermarket option.

Thanks for any feedback guys.

Click to view larger picture
Struggle is Strengthening...
K-Spec

Postby rodeddy on Sat Sep 06, 2014 5:27 pm

hi,
your correct in that it is a different unit as the buttons are closer to the screen ....... the only option i can see is to buy the updated unit from mitsubishi ..... pricey i think .?

quote="K-Spec"]Hey guys,

It has been quite a long while since i last posted on NewTriton. As some may be aware my first Triton had to be taken back by the dealer after a few weeks of ownership and a new vehicle eventually given to me due to some ongoing gearbox/transfer case issues as reported back in 2012, but the new one hasn't had an issue so far with just over 30,000km on the clock.

Back on topic, i was just curious if the members that have brought the double decker shroud also got the update info unit? I am about to change the factory stereo to a double DIN touch screen and would like to keep the information screen if possible however i am not a big fan of trying to cut an shut it like "rodeddy's" awesome effort to make my standard unit fit. From the attached pic above it looks like a different Info Unit with slimmer buttons etc to fit the shroud may be available but when searching the net i can't seem to find any info as to if it is a factory of aftermarket option.

Thanks for any feedback guys.

Click to view larger picture[/quote]
rodeddy

Postby K-Spec on Sat Sep 06, 2014 10:56 pm

rodeddy wrote:hi,
your correct in that it is a different unit as the buttons are closer to the screen ....... the only option i can see is to buy the updated unit from mitsubishi ..... pricey i think .?

Cheers rodeddy. So that is a factory unit? and i guess that the double decker shroud is factory too? I just couldnt find any information about them. Thanks mate
Struggle is Strengthening...
K-Spec

Postby rodeddy on Sun Sep 07, 2014 3:53 pm

sure is ....see:
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=8224&start=525

K-Spec wrote:
rodeddy wrote:hi,

Cheers rodeddy. So that is a factory unit? and i guess that the double decker shroud is factory too? I just couldnt find any information about them. Thanks mate
rodeddy

Postby rodeddy on Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:12 am

Hi,
I was going to post in the other thread, ie dig options, but its getting really long, so i have decided post here.
For those that remember, i have been trying to get my multifunction display in the new updated hood, without success.
I wanted to upgrade my head unit and also keep full voice activation etc, etc.. GPS is not my concern, as i use my phone.
Hence i wanted to fit the Mitsubishi ASX head unit, from my wifés car, into my Triton.
Its taken me about a year and today ... SUCCESS!
My issues were:
1. couldn't fit multifunction display in the top section
2. i needed to get full wiring schematics, pin out identifications numbers, cross reference pin outs, find/make new plugs for back of head unit.. etc etc...
But after so much ....
This is my final outcome:

If you want to do this, buy the MID unit, the new hood and cut and fit all this so it is ready prior to even removing the gear in your car..

If your only issue is fitting multifunction display into the top hood, that i can help with, and ended up being reasonably easy. U need to be good with a dremmel, a hacksaw, tiny file and patience.... and its not expensive at all.
If you want to fit ASX head unit and keep voice activation ... oh my god that's a book!!
First you need buy one of these: I got mine from aliexpress.. see link:
http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product ... 70921.html or http://www.aliexpress.com/item/For-Mits ... 85837.html

you will need to remove your current display from its metal housing.. Very easy but before this just unplug the small electrical plug and black plastic housing that sits on top - as is the compass... here this is a pic showing the display and the black plastic section ( the compass) still attached. Just unclip this
On the new MID unit, you need to carefully hacksaw the top section off along here:
(ps on the back of the new MID there is 4 screw holes that hold the unit together. Make sure when you cut the top section off, you "just" leave the top screw holes in tact) ie cut as much of the top as possible leaving the 2 screw holes still there.

Then you need to grind off/ file the sharp corners from the FRONT CORNERS only here: ( this gives the MID unit a little more space to fit in the new hood)
(ps the buttons on the MID unit were too tight so i had to file carefully with tiny file so they moved in and out easily)
Once this is done, fit your display unit into the MID unit, screw together (make sure your buttons move freely), plug in the compass unit into the top, once plugged it, it just sits free - you'll see why later - and your done...

With the dash hood, you need modify the opening:
This section needs to be carefully dremmeled away so the new HID sits flush. Its fiddly, and needs patience BUT as you do it you will see what i mean.
Once done, the new MID unit will sit in nicely. The width is perfect and locks in like its made for it. Check the front sits nice and flush and then simply make a bracket that sits across the back holding the MID unit in place. The little compass will still fit in but as there is not much room above the MID, its just sits back a bit, hence why its loose from previous, you will understand when you at this step.

The reason this works and my previous attempt did not is that the this MID unit allows the original display to sit closer to the buttons and the whole unit is thinner and more compact that i could create when i was trying to cut down the metal housing.
Be mindful though:
-it still sits at a sharper angle than previous but still good and easily read.

-you do need to sit forward a little to see the very bottom of the screen that show adj, back, etc but not an issue.

- the new red plastic lens will make your display a dark pink colour when on, not white like it shows now.
Why it looks this colour , i don't know - as the lens on the original is also red?? You will need set display a brightest for day time, ie on 6 and its easy to read. It actually looks good at night as it matches the red of the dash lights.

- in daytime, the sun can be a pain, but this depends on the sun angle and only on the bottom part of the screen, more unshaded section. The top which shows time, temp, compass is virtually always shaded.

-Another issue i found at the very end is that the wiring loom that goes to the display unit is not that long. so i could not push my new head unit in as the wiring ran up here.
I did overcome this issue by:
unclipping the main loom just at the back where the original display sits in. Then lifting this up and using a cable tie to keep it sitting higher. This just gave me another few cm so i could fit in the new head unit.
sorry i don't have more pic's, but im open to questions and if you in the sutherland shire can certainly help.
cheers, Rod :D
Last edited by rodeddy on Sat Nov 22, 2014 6:24 am, edited 5 times in total.
rodeddy

Postby Cowboy Dave on Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:42 am

That's come up looking very nice mate, very impressed. I reckon it deserves its own thread to be honest. I might make a copy of your post tonight and give it a separate howto thread with an easier to find title if that's okay with you.

The info display still needs the can adapter box does it? I didn't see that mentioned anywhere? Or did they drop that in the MN? I don't have any of this and haven't checked if the loom is still back there. I'm hoping it is there somewhere so I can do something like this one day.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby rodeddy on Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:51 am

hi Dave,
you can do whatever you think best re the tread..as for CAN adapter box .. not sure what you mean there?
I simply unplugged the std display unit, and re-plugged back in when done.. :D

Cowboy Dave wrote:That's come up looking very nice mate, very impressed. I reckon it deserves its own thread to be honest. I might make a copy of your post tonight and give it a separate howto thread with an easier to find title if that's okay with you.

The info display still needs the can adapter box does it? I didn't see that mentioned anywhere? Or did they drop that in the MN? I don't have any of this and haven't checked if the loom is still back there. I'm hoping it is there somewhere so I can do something like this one day.
rodeddy

Postby Cowboy Dave on Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:05 pm

Interesting. The ML's had a little black box that went on the back of the info display which sort of interpreted the canbus data for the info display. Maybe they did away with that in the MN. Clearly I need to research more. Anyone care to donate an info display... :lol:
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby rodeddy on Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:20 pm

hi Dave,
no nothing on the back... just the display unit with the black plastic housing, in the pic, compass, sitting on top
I just checked the wiring diagrams for the ML and yes you have a can adapter on the back, the MN has no such thing>
cheers, rod

Cowboy Dave wrote:Interesting. The ML's had a little black box that went on the back of the info display which sort of interpreted the canbus data for the info display. Maybe they did away with that in the MN. Clearly I need to research more. Anyone care to donate an info display... :lol:
rodeddy

Postby rodeddy on Fri Mar 13, 2015 6:28 pm

rodeddy wrote:Hi,
I was going to post in the other thread, ie dig options, but its getting really long, so i have decided post here.
For those that remember, i have been trying to get my multifunction display in the new updated hood, without success.
I wanted to upgrade my head unit and also keep full voice activation etc, etc.. GPS is not my concern, as i use my phone.
Hence i wanted to fit the Mitsubishi ASX head unit, from my wifés car, into my Triton.
Its taken me about a year and today ... SUCCESS!
My issues were:
1. couldn't fit multifunction display in the top section
2. i needed to get full wiring schematics, pin out identifications numbers, cross reference pin outs, find/make new plugs for back of head unit.. etc etc...
But after so much ....
This is my final outcome:

If you want to do this, buy the MID unit, the new hood and cut and fit all this so it is ready prior to even removing the gear in your car..

If your only issue is fitting multifunction display into the top hood, that i can help with, and ended up being reasonably easy. U need to be good with a dremmel, a hacksaw, tiny file and patience.... and its not expensive at all.
If you want to fit ASX head unit and keep voice activation ... oh my god that's a book!!
First you need buy one of these: I got mine from aliexpress.. see link:
http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product ... 70921.html or http://www.aliexpress.com/item/For-Mits ... 85837.html

you will need to remove your current display from its metal housing.. Very easy but before this just unplug the small electrical plug and black plastic housing that sits on top - as is the compass... here this is a pic showing the display and the black plastic section ( the compass) still attached. Just unclip this
On the new MID unit, you need to carefully hacksaw the top section off along here:
(ps on the back of the new MID there is 4 screw holes that hold the unit together. Make sure when you cut the top section off, you "just" leave the top screw holes in tact) ie cut as much of the top as possible leaving the 2 screw holes still there.
here it is with the top cut off .. does not need to be too neet as it is hidden....

Then you need to grind off/ file the sharp corners from the FRONT CORNERS only here: ( this gives the MID unit a little more space to fit in the new hood) - see pic above...
(ps the buttons on the MID unit were too tight so i had to file carefully with tiny file so they moved in and out easily)
Once this is done, fit your display unit into the MID unit, screw together (make sure your buttons move freely), plug in the compass unit into the top, once plugged it, it just sits free - you'll see why later - and your done...

With the dash hood, you need modify the opening:
This section needs to be carefully dremmeled away so the new HID sits flush. Its fiddly, and needs patience BUT as you do it you will see what i mean.
Once done, the new MID unit will sit in nicely. The width is perfect and locks in like its made for it. Check the front sits nice and flush and then simply make a bracket that sits across the back holding the MID unit in place. The little compass will still fit in but as there is not much room above the MID, its just sits back a bit, hence why its loose from previous, you will understand when you at this step.

The reason this works and my previous attempt did not is that the this MID unit allows the original display to sit closer to the buttons and the whole unit is thinner and more compact that i could create when i was trying to cut down the metal housing.
Be mindful though:
-it still sits at a sharper angle than previous but still good and easily read.

-you do need to sit forward a little to see the very bottom of the screen that show adj, back, etc but not an issue.

- the new red plastic lens will make your display a dark pink colour when on, not white like it shows now.
Why it looks this colour , i don't know - as the lens on the original is also red?? You will need set display a brightest for day time, ie on 6 and its easy to read. It actually looks good at night as it matches the red of the dash lights.

- in daytime, the sun can be a pain, but this depends on the sun angle and only on the bottom part of the screen, more unshaded section. The top which shows time, temp, compass is virtually always shaded.

-Another issue i found at the very end is that the wiring loom that goes to the display unit is not that long. so i could not push my new head unit in as the wiring ran up here.
I did overcome this issue by:
unclipping the main loom just at the back where the original display sits in. Then lifting this up and using a cable tie to keep it sitting higher. This just gave me another few cm so i could fit in the new head unit.
sorry i don't have more pic's, but im open to questions and if you in the sutherland shire can certainly help.
cheers, Rod :D

Ok.. since my final result i found the red colour from the std MID unit lens to difficult to see. So i removed the MID red perspex lens and and then made the std reds perspex lens from my std unit fit ...here is a pic... way beter.
rodeddy

Postby viking shippy on Sun May 10, 2015 5:50 pm

I just tried to fit my ml 07 blue display..trip computer into the top section of a mn double pocket hood ..
With no luck it's just to big to accommodate the row of buttons..without destroying the neat look of the hood....as you will find described below if it was installed here by deconstructing the unit and installing the circuit boards only...you cannot view the screen ta the driving position.....so it negates the moove...
The next choice was the old radio position but needs some serious cutting and fitting
And is the path I've chosen...the cables are long enough and the compass and decoder needs re mounting..
A note of caution you have to mount it at a 30 deg of vert. As the screen has a narrow viewing angle...
I'm well into fitting a 2din stereo and the above mod...
sourcing bits and pieces and the like I'll post some pics soon.
viking shippy

ML GLX-R Audio Options

Postby viking shippy on Tue May 12, 2015 6:27 am

Can anyone identify these wires from my ome head unit from my ml 07 ... glxrClick to view larger picture
viking shippy

Postby sheepo on Mon Dec 21, 2015 9:06 am

Hi all I have just brought a new single din head unit for my ml and I have the parrot blue tooth is there any thing special u need too do to keep the blue tooth working? When I fit it ?
The new unit is not a blue tooth one
Thanks Peter
Peter
08 VR
sheepo

Postby Humzie on Sun Sep 01, 2019 9:03 pm

Hello rodeddy, thank you for the very informative post.

I have but one question, the small oem display how is this mounted in? After looking at mine I see the headunit once it's installed will take mounting position what is done to secure it in the new upper position?
Humzie

Postby explorer.dave on Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:00 am

Humzie wrote:Hello rodeddy, thank you for the very informative post.

I have but one question, the small oem display how is this mounted in? After looking at mine I see the headunit once it's installed will take mounting position what is done to secure it in the new upper position?

Rodeddy hasn't visited this forum since June of last year, so don't hold out on a reply.
Better to be silent and thought a fool than open your mouth and remove all doubt.[

[b]Penrith Panthers 2021..Finally :roll:

Posts should be like mini skirts, long enough to cover the subject matter, but short enough to keep things interesting
explorer.dave
Platinum Subscriber

Previous

Return to Electrical