ML GLX-R Audio Options

ML GLX-R Audio Options

Postby I3endar on Fri Jul 18, 2014 4:08 pm

Hi all, first off, great resourceful site we all have access to here!

I've spent weeks researching stereo options for my '08 ML GLX-R and I'm still running around in circles trying to figure out what will and won't work. I'm currently stock standard with the factory (aftermarket Parrot) Bluetooth and want to get my iPhone 5S running through the speakers for music (Spotify more than anything else).

An easy fix would be to get the AUX cable going but I recently put in a ClicOn mount so it'd be great to be able to run the USB cable back to a head unit for data and charging and not have to worry about the 3.5mm jack each time.

Am I right in saying a single DIN tuner will be a direct swap using the correct ISO cables?
How will this affect the Bluetooth or even the trip computer?
If I went double DIN is the other hood and facia required and can the computer be relocated to the existing single DIN slot?

I've had quite a few looks through the search (including the forum directory) and most threads relate to the GLX or the GLR which I believe has a different audio system, especially with the trip computer etc.
I've completed dozens of audio installs on older vehicles before but nothing that's tied into the rest of the electronics like this.

Cheers for the help.
I3endar

Re: ML GLX-R Audio Options

Postby Cowboy Dave on Fri Jul 18, 2014 7:12 pm

Depends what you want to spend and/or take on. There's an aerpro kit you can buy which actually has cables and plugs and stuff to facilitate the info screen being moved. But it's stupidly priced at over $400 last time I looked. You can pick up aftermarket hoods for double din on eBay for about $100. Not all of them protrude the same distance over the top of the double din unit on top so you can get some sun glare issues. The genuine hoods and part numbers are discussed quite a bit in the dig options thread which you may already have seen. The latest digoptions unit has two parts, one single din and one double and is allegedly able to display info like the info display on the double din screen, which would be pretty cool.

There's also now an MN hood which is like a double decker with another little pod on top of the double din for the info display. That one is about $110 from mitsy. Whether you could shoehorn in the old style info display I don't know. I'll add two photos of the double decker hood below to give you an idea what I mean.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby Cowboy Dave on Fri Jul 18, 2014 7:13 pm

Click to view larger picture
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1405678379.230754.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Cowboy Dave

Postby I3endar on Fri Jul 18, 2014 7:37 pm

Thanks for the reply, definitely a few things to think about.
The double decker type one could be an option, especially if it will take the display without additional cables. Whether it would fit the ML GLX-R, someone would have to confirm.

I did see the Digoptions one you're talking about, but I think the info only works with the MN display from what the description says. Might confirm with them.

Would another option be to replace the whole display section with double DIN, and get something like a Scangauge for my fuel economy and range?
My main concern is buying bits that are no good for the GLX-R. I might be reading into it wrong but it feels like there's a lot of small differences between that and the GLX / GLR.

Cheers again.
I3endar

Postby Cowboy Dave on Fri Jul 18, 2014 7:44 pm

I wouldn't overthink the differences. The dash is still the same just maybe the stock head units and sometimes the hoods are slightly different. I'm pretty sure the MN hoods would fit an ML but someone with an ML might confirm. Do your vents up the top look like the ones in that picture?

As to whether the info display would fit - in that photo there is an additional bezel sitting inside the top hole which is screwed in. So if you removed that you'd gain some width which makes your limiting factor the height. I'd be happy to take some measurements if you knew what you were working towards. I'd guess the cables would reach. You might have to cut them free of a cable tie or two or maybe re-route a little to get the extra distance.

I've done the scangauge thing for fuel figures and found it a bit crap to be honest. Now trying an ultragauge which looks nicer but I haven't calibrated it for the fuel stuff yet so don't know how good it is with that stuff.

Cowboy Dave

Postby NowForThe5th on Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:16 pm

Cowboy Dave wrote:I'm pretty sure the MN hoods would fit an ML but someone with an ML might confirm.

Double DIN in my ML with the standard ML hood (which needed some trimming to fit the bigger unit.

Later on, because I was getting a bit too much reflection off the screen, I changed to a hood like this one. Standard Mitsubishi part, but this one was actually a little wide and I had the same problem which needed infill pieces in the sides. There is another hood which has the correct size opening...
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby adrianp on Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:31 pm

I have just received the full aerpro kit today, it is 399 on ebay and every now and then they have it on special, I suppose, I know it was when I bought it. The guys selling it were very helpful to answer my questions and checked with the producer, as I wasn't sure it will fit, as well. It seems that I'll only need another cheap "C type patch" cable to fit the specific HU. I don't know how it fits, it still is in the box.

(Mine is an NM GLXR)

cheers,
Adrian
adrianp

Postby I3endar on Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:56 pm

Adrianp, I believe the "c type" cables are for the steering wheel controls, which the ML doesn't have.

Looking at your first pic NowForThe5th, I assume the "standard" hood there is from or in a GLX/GLR?
It seems to stick out at the top a lot more than mine does, will have to confirm in the morning.
I3endar

Postby Cowboy Dave on Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:59 pm

He actually used standard twice, once for each hood but in a different way. The bottom one looks like the one I just removed from mine to put the double decker on.

I recommend you have a close look at this post: http://www.newtriton.net/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=8224&p=334103&hilit=hood#p334103

Also i would read that whole thread. There will be a good few nuggets of gold in there for you.

Cowboy Dave

Postby viking shippy on Sat Jul 19, 2014 11:07 am

Dave do you have the part numbers for the facia unit that you have provided photos above....
Is this unit any good for my ml
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/291186420963

Is this it....
viking shippy

Postby Cowboy Dave on Sat Jul 19, 2014 12:27 pm

Yeah Rodeddy bought his before I got mine. That eBay unit looks like it might even be the later model if it is a genuine oem item. Some of the pajero and lancer forums have threads comparing the different models since the mmcs was more common in those vehicles.

It would want to be a fair improvement on the version I have although that price looks okay. GPS on mine is woeful and apart from iPod integration it's pretty basic.

Cowboy Dave

Postby rodeddy on Sat Jul 19, 2014 2:20 pm

hi guys,
i tried fitting the std MN info display in the top section .... I managed to get the unit cut down in size ( height is the limiting factor) but when i fitted it, the angle was to steep and couldn't read it properly.
To reduce the angle, i needed to bring the top of the unit forward BUT this created an issue with the selection buttons .... If you look at the current display unit fitted to the double decker unit, you will notice the buttons are virtually just below the screen - new design ..... on my older type, there is a bigger gap between the screen and buttons, making it overall too high ......

here is the pic of the original double decker with new design display buttons ...

here is where i ended up BUT the angle was too much ...... if i try to reduce the angle, the bottom slides down and buttons go behind the panel.... it can't go higher as it hits the shroud top section . Generally, the unit is too high - the button are the issue...

this is about as small as i can make the entire unit and still have it all hold itself together ....

still working on it though but too busy with other stuff at the moment
cheers, Rod :)

Cowboy Dave wrote:I wouldn't overthink the differences. The dash is still the same just maybe the stock head units and sometimes the hoods are slightly different. I'm pretty sure the MN hoods would fit an ML but someone with an ML might confirm. Do your vents up the top look like the ones in that picture?

As to whether the info display would fit - in that photo there is an additional bezel sitting inside the top hole which is screwed in. So if you removed that you'd gain some width which makes your limiting factor the height. I'd be happy to take some measurements if you knew what you were working towards. I'd guess the cables would reach. You might have to cut them free of a cable tie or two or maybe re-route a little to get the extra distance.

I've done the scangauge thing for fuel figures and found it a bit crap to be honest. Now trying an ultragauge which looks nicer but I haven't calibrated it for the fuel stuff yet so don't know how good it is with that stuff.
Last edited by rodeddy on Sat Jul 19, 2014 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rodeddy

Postby Cowboy Dave on Sat Jul 19, 2014 4:09 pm

Does removing that bezel on the upper part give you any more clearance? Haven't checked mine for that yet. If it were me I'd be looking at pulling the screen off the metal housing and then maybe cutting the plastic down a bit with a dremel or similar - will depend how the wiring is setup of course. The other option which is similar would be to move the buttons but that will be a lot of work for you.

I'm seriously contemplating moving my UHF up there but need to spend a while thinking through the options. Good thing I don't have the info display or I'd be thinking about it for a year.

Cowboy Dave

Postby rodeddy on Sat Jul 19, 2014 7:59 pm

hi Dave,
i was trying to keep the front plastic as one unit, as much as possible because it keeps the front bezel with the buttons lined up and holds it all together ...
If i cut any more away it starts to fall apart and nothing left to secure the buttons in place.
In the pic you can see on the circuit board where the buttons push onto ... cant change this and you can see how far away the buttons are from the screen....
I'm going to try to spend more time and modify the facia more rather than the unit itself now ..

here you can see where the plastic knobs protrude to activate the buttons on the circuit board ps this is what is looked like before i cut the bottom section off .....

Cowboy Dave wrote:Does removing that bezel on the upper part give you any more clearance? Haven't checked mine for that yet. If it were me I'd be looking at pulling the screen off the metal housing and then maybe cutting the plastic down a bit with a dremel or similar - will depend how the wiring is setup of course. The other option which is similar would be to move the buttons but that will be a lot of work for you.

I'm seriously contemplating moving my UHF up there but need to spend a while thinking through the options. Good thing I don't have the info display or I'd be thinking about it for a year.
rodeddy

Postby Cowboy Dave on Sat Jul 19, 2014 10:01 pm

I'll stop making suggestions now, you're clearly on top of it.

Cowboy Dave

Postby Bigbirdalx on Sun Jul 20, 2014 5:37 am

Cowboy Dave wrote:I'll stop making suggestions now, you're clearly on top of it.

:P :lol:

I thought you were going fine. Intrested to see how this will turn out
If im posting, im either on the toilet, at work or both
Bigbirdalx

Postby rodeddy on Sun Jul 20, 2014 8:08 am

hi Dave ,
lol,lol.... never stop making suggestions, you know how it is - so busy looking for the answer, when it been there staring you in the face the whole time.. 8-) ps my Dremel was the the favourite tool trying this mod..
My issue at the moment is time .... its on hold for now.

Cowboy Dave wrote:I'll stop making suggestions now, you're clearly on top of it.
rodeddy

Postby rodeddy on Sun Jul 20, 2014 8:43 am

here's a few more pics .....
simply pulled apart and shows the circuit board and the little black squares, these are the buttons to change display function. You can see they sit a fair distance from the screen unit..
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
complete unit still fully assembled
mg]http://i1345.photobucket.com/albums/p675/rodeddy/20140514_125202-1_zps2879c5c1.jpeg[/img]
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
front of unit - complete:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
front plastic facia part of unit with bottom section cut off - i can't cut anymore off as you can see the plastic squares on the btm hold the button knobs in place and lines them up with the circuit board buttons:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ready to cut the metal frame section. You can see the shiny metal top part.. it has a black plastic module on top which houses some more circuits .. this will need to be fitted back on later also;
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
plastic section cut and metal frame cut BUT still able to click together and be one unit. U can see the circuit board on the btm of the pic, this is about as small as i can make it with the buttons still lining up.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
.....and the 'shiny'metal top section that is required, clipped back in place but i still need to attach the extra plastic module on top .it has a small ribbon wiring loom joining the 2 together and you can see the plug through the hole in the lid:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
here it is all fully assembled. It still clips together on the top and sides. The plastic module that is not attached yet CAN be plugged back in and hang off the back of the unit rather than attach to the top. If i attach to the top, not a chance of fitting as it makes the unit higher again;
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
the biggest issue is, even though it did fit in the top opening, it was tilted too far on an angle and when i put in the car, you cannot see the bottom of the screen. The entire unit needs to have less angle, ie the top needs to come forward and the btm to remain where it is.. If i tilt forward, then the top if the unit hit the inside of the facia cowling making it slide down and the button are no longer able to seen..... basically it is too high..
still trying but on hold for now.
At least with htese pics you all have an idea what it looks like apart.
cheers, Rod
rodeddy

Postby ag9111 on Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:46 am

Rod
How big is the top opening?
I love cats, but I couldn't eat a full one!

Mud is like unprotected sex
30 secs of fun for a lifetime of grief
ag9111
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Cowboy Dave on Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:54 am

Cowboy Dave

Postby NowForThe5th on Sun Jul 20, 2014 11:38 am

Oh dear. :o The sign of the truly addicted - sitting in the traffic taking pics for the next post on NewTriton. :lol: :lol:
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby Cowboy Dave on Sun Jul 20, 2014 11:42 am

He'd pm'd me yesterday. The dark shot was last night. The other shots weren't great so I took more in daylight.

Cowboy Dave

Postby ag9111 on Sun Jul 20, 2014 2:29 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Cheers Dave about 155 x 45 mm
I love cats, but I couldn't eat a full one!

Mud is like unprotected sex
30 secs of fun for a lifetime of grief
ag9111
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Cowboy Dave on Sun Jul 20, 2014 2:35 pm

I spent 90 minutes sitting at an airport this morning too so caught up on the current threads on tapatalk. Kept asking it to refresh but it was a quiet morning.

It's not easy to pick from the front but at each end where there is an angle to it that's from a bezel which screws in from behind. I haven't worked out yet how much difference pulling that out will make.

Cowboy Dave

Postby rodeddy on Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:26 am

too funny - well done...
i didn't have a chance to get back re measurments but you have it covered. Thanks.

Cowboy Dave wrote:I spent 90 minutes sitting at an airport this morning too so caught up on the current threads on tapatalk. Kept asking it to refresh but it was a quiet morning.

It's not easy to pick from the front but at each end where there is an angle to it that's from a bezel which screws in from behind. I haven't worked out yet how much difference pulling that out will make.
rodeddy

Next

Return to Electrical