Disabling ASTC on 2013+ MN's

Re: Disabling ASTC on 2013+ MN's

Postby Probz on Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:14 pm

Has it been confirmed they do throw a code when bridging the diff lock plug? Because the diff lock is just a proximity switch so that would mean all factory diff lock cars would log a code every time the locker is engaged. On another note i'll check next service if it has because i've just hooked up a switch to it
Probz

Postby jack7 on Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:09 am

Keen to find out if this does cause a code or not want to do this modification please advise if you can find any more information.
jack7

Postby Enid_Triton on Mon Mar 02, 2020 5:48 pm

Probz wrote:Has it been confirmed they do throw a code when bridging the diff lock plug? Because the diff lock is just a proximity switch so that would mean all factory diff lock cars would log a code every time the locker is engaged. On another note i'll check next service if it has because i've just hooked up a switch to it

Does this mean that it would log an entry each time you use 4WD as well? Just curious because my Mitsubishi stealer knew that I hadn't been off-road for 6 moths.
My Son-in laws Merc Van does everything except steer. I liked it better back in the day when my cars knew nothing.
Probably has a log for each time I f*** too.
Enid_Triton

Postby jnik on Thu Aug 26, 2021 11:24 pm

swampview wrote:Just to clarify a few points,I too have tried this and it works beautifully.I went a step further and hunted around for blue wire/yellow trace behind the dash to no avail (I was hoping that it was attached to the diff lock switch plug,which resides next to the asc switch behind the dash even if you didnt option a diff lock).So instead I settled for tracing it back to the passenger side lower door trim panel,which is easily popped off).One bundle of wires comes from under the seat and heads rearward,the other bundle of wires comes from the same place but heads forward,it is in this bundle that the wires will be found.

There are two blue wires with yellow trace in this bundle so you have to choose the correct one (which is of a smaller diameter than the other) .Earthing this wire will disable all of the electronic braking,without any dramas,as it is the sensor wire that makes sure that when the diff lock is engaged no electronic braking is applied.By earthing it you are tricking the computer into believing that the imaginary diff lock is engaged.

It is very easy to run this wire up around the passenger footwell and behind the dash from this point and with the use of a relay powered from the 4wd light could be only engaged whilst in low range 4wd for example.I havnt got this far yet but intend to do this as a safety feature,so that if the toggle switch is left on by mistake,the abs and stability are switched back on when high range is engaged.

Hope this helps someone, who like me gets pissed of with traction control in soft sand. J

I've put some thought into this (thought only at this point ... nothing has been verified!) ...

Here's a simple circuit consisting of a DPDT relay and a dual-action DPDT momentary rocker switch: https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1DdtTIUaovLo7sAB0qvuWs2f5WCP4vGibjoLDFdw3rps.

Note that the Light-Green:Red wire can be found in the same bundle as the Blue:Yellow cable mentioned above. It wouldn't be difficult to run both wires to a suitable location for the rocker switch. One option would be to run the cables below the carpet under the passenger seat to the centre console ... the centre console's cigarette lighter socket wiring could be used to provide power when the ignition is on.
jnik

Postby NowForThe5th on Fri Aug 27, 2021 9:29 am

Thanks jnik. I've uploaded your schematics to the server here. Far too often links break and we lose valuable stuff.

tcmod1.jpeg

tcmod2.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Previous

Return to Electrical