Disabling ASTC on 2013+ MN's

Disabling ASTC on 2013+ MN's

Postby ag9111 on Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:14 pm

Has anybody worked out how to disable the ASTC on the upgraded 2013+ Tritons.

I know on earlier models you could pull the relays but mine doesn't come with relays.

I tried pulling the feed fuse, fuse 15, but this killed the whole car and now I have an airbag light :(

Open circuiting one of the wheel sensors will disable the ASTC but it will also cause a code that I don't know if I can clear it.

Diff lock, reverse and stop switch are all incorporated into the ASTC so there might be a way there. I know the diff lock signal will not register a code until over 10kph.

Anyway, heading to Fraser in 2 months for 10 days so I would like to sort this pretty soon ;)
I love cats, but I couldn't eat a full one!

Mud is like unprotected sex
30 secs of fun for a lifetime of grief
ag9111
Platinum Subscriber

Re: Disabling ASTC on 2013+ MN's

Postby mIwoo on Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:20 pm

speaking of newer MN's... have MMAL incorporated the TC to work with the DL on yet? if not, has somebody else done this yet? just thought it might be useful for you ag....

i assume your looking to disable traction control as well as stability control here...
1130 BARRA - 850 Murray Cod - 640 Dusky - 445 Aus BASS - 585 Yellow-belly - 440 Redfin
mIwoo

Postby ag9111 on Fri Oct 03, 2014 6:09 am

Yep
want to kill TC and ASC

ag9111
Platinum Subscriber

Postby NowForThe5th on Fri Oct 03, 2014 7:02 am

You have the factory rear locker, Garth? TC disengages when locker is on so (and I'm thinking out loud here) if the car thought that the RDL was engaged that might be a starting point.

For ASC you can always push the switch but that's a pain every time you restart the vehicle. So, a switch that enables a momentary closing of the ASC switch wires when the ignition is turned on would work for this.

The Pajero guys have a number of threads on related things but mainly aimed at having the TC on with the RDL to mimic a front locker. Still, the systems are similar and there may be some clues there.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby 4wd26 on Fri Oct 03, 2014 7:18 am

does the system get disabled in low range?
might be another source of "tricking" the system?

it is a real pain in other vehicles in the sand (use quite a lot of different types and ALL the newer ones have this as standard) the only way to disable in stuff like hilux, ranger, prado and Isuzu is low range?
Getting Out There
Sucks to be you, glad I bought a 3.2 :o
4wd26

Postby chrisdoherty87 on Fri Oct 03, 2014 7:37 am

I have done this. 2013 mm triton without the diff lock option. :D I'm not telling you to do it but if your were going to do it this one way it can be done :D. After looking at the wiring schematics I wired in a toggle switch that when flicked, turns off ASC, TC and ABS. If you don't want to wire in a switch it is a simple case of getting a short (60mm or so) wire with small male terminals on each end and looping it on the plug that usually plugs into the diff lock when optioned. There are 2 spare plugs tied back just above the diff. You want to loop the rear diff lock detection switch which is a 2 wire plug with 1 black (earth) wire and 1 blue with yellow trace wire (power). Loop them and it will act as if your diff lock is engaged. You may need to just turn car off and back on to clear the dash lights once you unplug the wire to re-enable everything ....I was turning car off to plug and unplug wire before I fit the switch anyway. No codes show with scan gauge. No fuses blow or damage done as the power going to earth activates the dash lights which stops a short circuit. I have had no faults/ codes/ blown fuses/ bad smells or anything and I have had this done for a while now. All I am left with is a triton that I can now turn tc off when it suits me which I believe should of been standard.
chrisdoherty87

Postby chrisdoherty87 on Fri Oct 03, 2014 7:39 am

Unplugging speed sensor on one wheel also disengages but I have not played around with that to see of any other things affected.
chrisdoherty87

Postby Cowboy Dave on Fri Oct 03, 2014 8:51 am

Well now this is starting to sound pretty interesting. Does the rear locker light come on at all?
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby chrisdoherty87 on Fri Oct 03, 2014 9:05 am

No. Not sure I've seen a rear locker light? Lights on dash are just abs, stability control and traction control. Definitely works though as when turned off it will spin wheels/wheel :lol: for as long as you like with no cut outs or wheel braking. I did it for sand as I find the tc far too intrusive when on beach mainly in 2wd. I did try it in ripley (bush 4x4 tracks QLD) on some big hill climbs and as suspected I couldn't get even half way up after many tries without tc and turned it back on and crawled up. It is a good system on most terrain as we all know but the option to turn it off now is a nice touch.
chrisdoherty87

Postby chrisdoherty87 on Fri Oct 03, 2014 9:06 am

Haven't actually tried to lock the wheels up under brakes to confirm abs is not working but I'd say it too will be out as it appears they run off the same system.
chrisdoherty87

Postby Cowboy Dave on Fri Oct 03, 2014 9:40 am

It makes sense so far. I'd be keen to give it a try if I was doing sand stuff. But what it has reminded me is that I wanted to get the RDL light to work when I activate the ARB rear locker. When I started to look at it I thought I was going to have to go in behind the instrument cluster and I wasn't too excited by that prospect so gave up on it. It hadn't really occurred to me (but should have) that the other end of the loom might be easier to get to.

Cowboy Dave

Postby bill65 on Fri Oct 03, 2014 9:44 am

Hi Chris by putting the switch into the dash. Did you run the wire from the diff too the cab or did you pick it from the difflock wireing in the dash? Thanks bill
bill65
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Homer on Fri Oct 03, 2014 9:51 am

Cowboy Dave wrote:It makes sense so far. I'd be keen to give it a try if I was doing sand stuff. But what it has reminded me is that I wanted to get the RDL light to work when I activate the ARB rear locker. When I started to look at it I thought I was going to have to go in behind the instrument cluster and I wasn't too excited by that prospect so gave up on it. It hadn't really occurred to me (but should have) that the other end of the loom might be easier to get to.

Not sure if I'm understanding this?

AFAIK, on the earlier MN's like yours, there is a TC button to turn it off?

What I thought you would be looking for is traction control to be on when you engage a rear locker...although you have a front locker so that is probably incorrect.. :? :?
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Everything you want to find or know about the Triton - click here
Easy how to search on this site - click here
Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby Cowboy Dave on Fri Oct 03, 2014 10:04 am

No the button turns off ASC but not TC. I'm not worried about turning TC off but would be if I was doing beach driving as others are discussing.

I just wanted the ARB switch to talk to the dash so that the OEM DL light would show up as on when the ARB locker was on. Not essential, but aesthetically it would be a nice touch.

Cowboy Dave

Postby Homer on Fri Oct 03, 2014 11:35 am

:lol: :lol: :lol: self moderated about the gheyness of that post :P :lol:
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Everything you want to find or know about the Triton - click here
Easy how to search on this site - click here
Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby chrisdoherty87 on Fri Oct 03, 2014 11:56 am

Dave, yeah definitely no diff lock light. There is a control module that is normally fitted with the factory option. Id say that may control the diff lock light. I do not have that module I don't think.

Bill, I have every intention to trace the wires back to ecu somewhere and bridge it with a switch there but for now I have just run wires from the back.
chrisdoherty87

Postby ag9111 on Fri Oct 03, 2014 3:29 pm

Already know about the diff lock but that will throw a MUT3 code C1293. ABS, ASTC off and ASTC lights will be on. Your scan gauge cant read or clear codes starting with CXXXX
Playing with wheel sensors will give a code between C1200 and C1217.

Any other ideas?

ag9111
Platinum Subscriber

Postby baito on Fri Oct 03, 2014 4:44 pm

ag9111 wrote:Already know about the diff lock but that will throw a MUT3 code C1293. ABS, ASTC off and ASTC lights will be on. Your scan gauge cant read or clear codes starting with CXXXX

Any other ideas?

So are you saying this mod Chris has done will cause a code?

Chris do you have asc light staying on?
baito

Postby chrisdoherty87 on Fri Oct 03, 2014 5:10 pm

Lights stay on dash the whole time the switch or wire is in which gets rid of tc, asc and abs. Unplug the wire or turn the switch back and the lights go out and car is back to normal. I can't varify if it has mut code but definitely no code on scan gauge.
chrisdoherty87

Postby ag9111 on Fri Oct 03, 2014 7:16 pm

baito wrote:
ag9111 wrote:Already know about the diff lock but that will throw a MUT3 code C1293. ABS, ASTC off and ASTC lights will be on. Your scan gauge cant read or clear codes starting with CXXXX

Any other ideas?

So are you saying this mod Chris has done will cause a code?

Chris do you have asc light staying on?

Yep but not one you can see

ag9111
Platinum Subscriber

Postby chrisdoherty87 on Fri Oct 03, 2014 10:29 pm

Do these clear over time or do the dealer have to clear them? Cause any issues?
chrisdoherty87

Postby swampview on Sat Mar 28, 2015 12:10 pm

Just to clarify a few points,I too have tried this and it works beautifully.I went a step further and hunted around for blue wire/yellow trace behind the dash to no avail (I was hoping that it was attached to the diff lock switch plug,which resides next to the asc switch behind the dash even if you didnt option a diff lock).So instead I settled for tracing it back to the passenger side lower door trim panel,which is easily popped off).One bundle of wires comes from under the seat and heads rearward,the other bundle of wires comes from the same place but heads forward,it is in this bundle that the wires will be found.

There are two blue wires with yellow trace in this bundle so you have to choose the correct one (which is of a smaller diameter than the other) .Earthing this wire will disable all of the electronic braking,without any dramas,as it is the sensor wire that makes sure that when the diff lock is engaged no electronic braking is applied.By earthing it you are tricking the computer into believing that the imaginary diff lock is engaged.

It is very easy to run this wire up around the passenger footwell and behind the dash from this point and with the use of a relay powered from the 4wd light could be only engaged whilst in low range 4wd for example.I havnt got this far yet but intend to do this as a safety feature,so that if the toggle switch is left on by mistake,the abs and stability are switched back on when high range is engaged.

Hope this helps someone, who like me gets pissed of with traction control in soft sand. J
swampview

Triton MN (ASC, TC) how do i turn it off

Postby Jaden99 on Sun Jul 29, 2018 3:56 pm

Hi All,

I am wondering how to fully disable Traction Controle and ASC off at same time, at current moment can only disable ASC and traction control stays on cause can feel power loss when driving in sand 4H, 2wd and not just sand..

I have seen on Pajero fourm that they have a plug and play kit that has another button with the kit to disable it completed just wondering if anyone has made one for the triton or know how to.

Triton Dual Cab MN GLR 2010

Cheers
Jaden
Jaden99

Re: Triton MN (ASC, TC) how do i turn it off

Postby L200Shogun on Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:33 pm

Jaden99 wrote:Hi All,

I am wondering how to fully disable Traction Controle and ASC off at same time, at current moment can only disable ASC and traction control stays on cause can feel power loss when driving in sand 4H, 2wd and not just sand..

I have seen on Pajero fourm that they have a plug and play kit that has another button with the kit to disable it completed just wondering if anyone has made one for the triton or know how to.

Triton Dual Cab MN GLR 2010

Cheers
Jaden

Disconnect a wheel sensor or bridge out diff lock plug above rear diff.
Why you would what an "open" diff with no traction aids off road I don't ever understand.
L200Shogun

Postby Shodown on Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:08 pm

Holy thread revival batman !!

So a few questions.....

So swampview's mod is the same as Chris's.....? And both throw codes.... but not visible to Scangauge?

Are they visible to other code scanners or you need an expensive ABS type one?

swampview wrote:passenger side lower door trim panel,which is easily popped off).One bundle of wires comes from under the seat and heads rearward,the other bundle of wires comes from the same place but heads forward,it is in this bundle that the wires will be found.

There are two blue wires with yellow trace in this bundle so you have to choose the correct one (which is of a smaller diameter than the other) .Earthing this wire will disable all of the electronic braking,without any dramas,as it is the sensor wire that makes sure that when the diff lock is engaged no electronic braking is applied.By earthing it you are tricking the computer into believing that the imaginary diff lock is engaged.

It is very easy to run this wire up around the passenger footwell and behind the dash from this point and with the use of a relay powered from the 4wd light could be only engaged whilst in low range 4wd for example.I havnt got this far yet but intend to do this as a safety feature,so that if the toggle switch is left on by mistake,the abs and stability are switched back on when high range is engaged.

Hope this helps someone, who like me gets pissed of with traction control in soft sand. J
Shodown

Next

Return to Electrical