Factory Tweeter - is there a crossover?

Factory Tweeter - is there a crossover?

Postby jaffa_cecil on Tue May 31, 2016 7:07 am

Hi,

I am now an owner of a second hand 2010 MN Triton GLXR. I absolutely love it. Just have to clean out the carbon build up and get the EGR valve working again.

I got 2 sets of JL Audio splits that I am working on putting in (convertible ones so I can mount the tweeter on the woofer so it looks like a coaxial - for the rear doors). I have already pulled the door panel off and pulled the woofer out of one of the doors, hacked it up using a Dremel and mounted one of the JL Audio woofers in it. Almost a perfect fit, the screws had to go on a slight angle to mount the woofer in the hacked up original speaker.

I looked at the tweeter and it has a couple of capacitors on the back of it, which is a budget, yet effective, version of a high pass crossover. There wasn't one on the back of the dual cone woofer though. I tried looking around inside the doors to see if there was something like a choke/coil looking thing for the woofer to stop high frequencies going to it, but I couldn't see one. Mind you, I haven't taken a "Mum's Look" as that would require dismantling some more bits or hacking into cables.

So my question is, does anyone know if there is a factory crossover for the front speakers? And if not, does the tweeter have a separate wire going back to a separate channel on the stereo or does the tweeter and woofer wires meet and join in parallel?
jaffa_cecil

Re: Factory Tweeter - is there a crossover?

Postby ag9111 on Tue May 31, 2016 7:16 am

CCt diagram for a GLXr amp and speakers

Audio Amp 1.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I love cats, but I couldn't eat a full one!

Mud is like unprotected sex
30 secs of fun for a lifetime of grief
ag9111
Platinum Subscriber

Postby jaffa_cecil on Tue May 31, 2016 7:54 am

Thanks for the circuit diagram, that shows that the tweeter has it's own separate run to the amplifier.

Couldn't see any other components on the diagram, except plugs, running to the woofer, so I should hopefully be fine just using that run to wire in the new crossovers.

Cheers
jaffa_cecil

Postby Cowboy Dave on Tue May 31, 2016 8:32 am

That's how I did mine. Seems fine. In the end I bypassed that amp and stuck in a bigger one.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby Jspark91 on Sat Nov 26, 2022 2:56 pm

Cowboy Dave wrote:That's how I did mine. Seems fine. In the end I bypassed that amp and stuck in a bigger one.

Hey mate, how’d you go about replacing the factory amp? Did you use the factory wiring?
Jspark91

Return to Electrical