info on how to replace factory MN FM antenna

info on how to replace factory MN FM antenna

Postby AussieAnth on Sat Sep 24, 2016 3:15 pm

I've got a Kenwood stereo with DAB+ radio.

The Kenwood DAB antenna is a stick on unit on the windscreen, and reception can be patchy.
I bought and installed a DAB to FM antenna adapter with 12v booster, so the DAB daisy chains onto the FM antenna.

Reception is actually worse than the glass antenna. Kenwood stereo has the option to power the antenna also, but I've had to disable this feature when hooked to the adapter as it has its own power supply, and it detects an error with both power sources on.

So I' can either get a dedicated DAB antenna and mount it on the roof (looking at magnetic base unit), but then I have to route wiring to the outside, probably through the firewall and up the side of the windscreen trim.
OR, I can replace the FM antenna with an AM/FM/DAB compatible unit, and I belive the factory unit is not suited for DAB frequencies/reception.

Has anyone done a replacement of the factory telescopic unit? Do you access it by removing the pillar trim inside the cabin? I can't find any guides, other than a few vehicle generic youtube videos.

Any suggestions on the best solution?
MY13 GLX Plus pack dual cab Triton.

My MN & ML Triton WORKSHOP MANUAL page on DropBox. Take a look.
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/mmyqr05gb8c8hgv/eKE4W216Dj

FORUM DIRECTORY
http://www.newtriton.net/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=8230
AussieAnth
Platinum Subscriber

Re: info on how to replace factory MN FM antenna

Postby Cowboy Dave on Sat Sep 24, 2016 3:29 pm

There is a description in the workshop manual. You basically have to follow the antenna cable all the way from the headunit to the driver's kick panel. Look for bits of yellow tape on the cable because at each of those the cable is clipped and you need to unclip it to get it out. Once it's free all the way you undo the two screws on the outside in the black plastic at the antenna base.

The important bit of the instructions is to tape a draw wire or cord to the cable before removing the antenna otherwise you will have zero chance of getting anything new back in there.

The whole assembly that comes out is longer than you'd think - like 1.5 metres plus cable.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby Cowboy Dave on Sat Sep 24, 2016 3:34 pm

I've recently been exploring similar issues for similar reasons. I went with a gme antenna and a gme splitter. The antenna is about a metre long and sold as dab compatible.

The antenna I probably should have böught was an axis branded rubber thing about half that length. Anyway the gme is on the bullbar waiting for me to run the cable into the cabin etc

I decided roof mount couldn't work for me due to carpark height restrictions.

Cowboy Dave

Postby AussieAnth on Sat Sep 24, 2016 4:43 pm

Cowboy Dave wrote:I've recently been exploring similar issues for similar reasons. I went with a gme antenna and a gme splitter. The antenna is about a metre long and sold as dab compatible.

The antenna I probably should have böught was an axis branded rubber thing about half that length. Anyway the gme is on the bullbar waiting for me to run the cable into the cabin etc

I decided roof mount couldn't work for me due to carpark height restrictions.

THanks Dave, thats really helpful mate.

I will be going with a roof mounted option, preferably where the factory unit comes out. I figure a unit that leans back should be fine for any height restriction issues.

I imagine I'd need another unit with a base that screws down, like the factory unit does, or something that will fit through the factory black plastic base. Did you come up with any good roof top mount options? I guess I could run the wiring through the plastic base & seal it, then mount a magnetic or similar roof top unit somewhere close.
MY13 GLX Plus pack dual cab Triton.

My MN & ML Triton WORKSHOP MANUAL page on DropBox. Take a look.
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/mmyqr05gb8c8hgv/eKE4W216Dj

FORUM DIRECTORY
http://www.newtriton.net/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=8230
AussieAnth
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Cowboy Dave on Sat Sep 24, 2016 6:56 pm

The only option I really thought about for the roof, was a hinged mount on a roof rack with the idea being I might use it when going bush and whack a bigger aerial on for trips. It all got a bit hard though so went back to the bullbar. Pretty sure I saw some pillar mount antennas but they were meant to go on the outside and screw to the metal I think?

Cowboy Dave

Postby Cowboy Dave on Sat Sep 24, 2016 7:14 pm

From the manual. Euro model hence the wrong side for the pillar mount.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Cowboy Dave

Postby Enid_Triton on Fri Feb 25, 2022 2:42 pm

Cowboy Dave wrote: Look for bits of yellow tape on the cable because at each of those the cable is clipped and you need to unclip it to get it out.

Sorry about the old post revival but I am just about to do this, so how hard is it to undo these clips and do you need to be a contortionist to get to them?
The reason I have to ask this is because I have enough metal rods in my spine to set off airport metal detectors (wonder if they will??) so bending and twisting is quite limited.
I can still do most things and I have replaced the Head unit, speakers & antenna (Bull bar mount GME-AEM7W) only 650mm long and it's brilliant compared to that coat hanger that Mitsubishi put in it.
I sound deadened the whole cab including the doors but the only thing I haven't done is to remove the pillar mounted static receiver.
I have a custom made super thin black nylon blanking plate to take its place
Enid_Triton

Postby RHKTriton on Sat Feb 26, 2022 8:23 am

Before ripping out the existing stick, try just partially extending it and see how it goes. The frequencies involved need around a 350 to 400mm whip.

This DAB antenna saga is sounding very "digital" tv antenna scam.

A matching/ booster unit between the existing aerial plug and radio may be all that required.
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Return to Electrical