Complete electrical shutdown - temporary

Complete electrical shutdown - temporary

Postby Bammo on Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:21 pm

Tonight I parked the Ute outside the house and took a moment to listen in to a Ham radio conversation that was going on. After maybe 2 minutes the radio cut out and I noticed that all electrical power was gone. Nothing at all was lighting up and engine totally unresponsive.

I checked the fuse bay and connections thinking that the new battery I fitted a couple of weeks ago might not have been securely mounted but all OK and nothing appeared out of the ordinary. I was about to go inside to get a multimeter to start checking fuses when the radio came back to life and the ute appears normal (albeit the radio had lost its programming). No more than 6 or 7 minutes from cutting out and apart from some prodding no real action from me.

Not a particularly hot day and nothing unusual going on except for listening to the amateur radio which is wired direct to the battery (via a fuse of course). It's only drawing about 1A on receive and 5A on transmit and the battery wasn't flattened at all so I can't figure out what happened. The inline fuse on the radio (10A) was untouched.

Is there some type of temperature sensitive re-settable fuse on the battery connection?
Bammo

Re: Complete electrical shutdown - temporary

Postby OffRoadDave on Sat Feb 18, 2017 5:59 am

You say the amatuer radio also cut out?

Well if it's wired directly to the battery on its own fuse, it can only be a loose terminal clamp or a faulty battery as best as I can figure.
OffRoadDave

Postby ag9111 on Sat Feb 18, 2017 7:09 am

I would say a loose.battery clamp.
Had a similar issue once. Replaced negative battery clamp. All good
I love cats, but I couldn't eat a full one!

Mud is like unprotected sex
30 secs of fun for a lifetime of grief
ag9111
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Bammo on Sun Feb 19, 2017 2:14 am

Thanks guys - it was the negative battery clamp. Seemed absolutely secure and was tightened onto a new battery only a month ago. Touching the earth strap though you could hear arcing. Weird, the difference between working perfectly and dead as a doornail was a tiny amount of pressure on the cable...
Bammo

Postby Longranger1 on Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:53 am

Good result. Much better than aliens hovering above you. :lol:
The voices in my head may not be real, but they do have some damned good ideas.

If it's feral, it's in peril.

MN turbo lag? What lag??

99% of lawyers give the rest a bad name.
Longranger1
Platinum Subscriber

Postby MrCozy on Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:15 pm

not sure if my current problem relates, but turn ute on, let glow plugs warm up, go to start, and everything goes dead. happened few times randomly now..found if i slapped positive lead on battery, fine again till next time..suspecting fuse link going, but which one?
MrCozy

Postby MrCozy on Thu Dec 12, 2019 1:35 am

After this happening numerous times, finally decided to figure out what was happening.. was as simple as both battery clamp nuts loosening up, probably from vibrations

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MrCozy

Return to Electrical