Trailer - Brake/Stop lights not working

Re: Trailer - Brake/Stop lights not working

Postby slese on Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:25 pm

A HEX on you. My trailer brake lights just stopped working!!!!! :cry: :cry: :cry:
slese

Re: Trailer - Brake/Stop lights not working

Postby billsmith01 on Sun Jul 08, 2018 9:58 pm

I found it!!!!!!!!

There is a 3 amp in line fuse in the stop light line. This feeds the tow harness ECU.

It is a mongrel to get to - and is hidden by being wrapped in a foam tape and then a cloth tape. It is then bound to a diode (see photo when they are separated)

Issue is my Sensabrake EVO controller. This has a function where when an 'emergency mouse' button is pressed on the controller, it lightly applies the brakes for 3-5 seconds to stop trailer sway.

The EVO controller is also attached to the stop light switch. When the 'emergency' is pressed, it draws 7.2amps through this 3 amp fuse therein blowing it. It only happens when the button is pressed. Otherwise everything works normally

So problem is fixed, so long as I don't use the 'emergency' function.

How to fix?
1. Put a 10 amp fuse in
2. Rewire the EVO to the 'hot side' of the fuse holder. This will leave the tow harness ECU protected by the 3 amp fuse as designed.

Anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks
https://imghostr.net/image/JRvBn
billsmith01

Re: Trailer Brake lights fault

Postby Joel on Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:04 pm

Thanks every one. this just saved me hours of head scratching and swearing. 2 minute fix before work and lights are up and running again.
I only drink on days starting with T... Today and Tomorrow
Joel

Previous

Return to Electrical