MN Triton won't start + Alternator not charging?

MN Triton won't start + Alternator not charging?

Postby jmorellini on Fri Dec 14, 2018 6:54 pm

My starter motor in the mighty Trity was on its last legs on 2 days ago and then died later in the day. I bought a new one from repco and installed it.

Now, the original starter is definitely cooked as I can't get the solenoid to engage or turn over outside of the vehicle.

After putting the new starter in, the female spade positive lead that plugs onto the starter motor solenoid for some reason is no longer getting 12v to it??

For the time being, we've made a separate wire to the positive terminal via a switch and straight to the solenoid on the starter. That way I could at least start a car.

Now today, for whatever reason, my alternator isn't charging the battery. It's getting power to the back of the alternator but the positive out on the alternator is only outputting 9v, the same that we get directly on the battery and scan gauge.

Checked all the fuses under the dash and bonnet in the fuse blocks and they're all good. Checked the fusible links on the positive terminal, including the alternators fuse and they're all good.

Everything was working fine before we changed the starter. (other than the starter)
If we hook it up to jump it, it starts perfectly as well.

Anyone had a similar issue or know of anything I could try?
jmorellini

Re: MN Triton won't start + Alternator not charging?

Postby RHKTriton on Sat Dec 15, 2018 7:18 am

The ole 'you can't go anywhere without the 20cent piece of Nicole you stick in the ignition switch' went through my mind. :lol:

I'd be checking the starter switch & wiring leaving there. Might be coincidental that your switch has carked it as well.

Not sure if there might be an intermediate relay between there an starter.
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Re: MN Triton won't start + Alternator not charging?

Postby jmorellini on Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:24 am

:lol: I know right!

Managed to get it all sorted. For some reason the Starter fuse didn't blow and instead the wiring melted inside some conduit. After replacing those wires everything kicked over as good as new!
jmorellini

Return to Electrical