foglights installed, now various things happening

foglights installed, now various things happening

Postby MrCozy on Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:03 pm

Hi guys, as the topic says, installed my foglights yesterday..oem style, and all was fine. This morning, start her up, coolant and battery light light stay on, then start flickering with accelerator, and eventually go out...did this several times today. Also, before I disconnected battery, and after I reconnected, green light in battery was on as should be. Today, I checked, no green light.

I run wiring from foglights, through firewall, right next to the brake booster where there is a pull plug, and fed it through as high over the fusebox under the dash as possible, and grounded them at switch point where the fusebox bracket bolts to chassis frame. Is it possible this ground might be causing issue? or possibly voltage leak afffecting ETACS or something? Most wiring is encased in plastic spiral shield, except for tap from parking lights to the switch.
MrCozy

Re: foglights installed, now various things happening

Postby NowForThe5th on Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:57 am

Please detail exactly where you made all of your connections, especially this one:
MrCozy wrote:tap from parking lights to the switch.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby RHKTriton on Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:20 am

With all the electrickery in vehicles these days, I'd be loathed to tap into much upstream (on the switch or ecu side) of any load controlling relays, ie headlight, fan or horn relays.

Given that modern vehicles are virtually a rolling computer network, I would advise anyone who isn't technically competent not to dive into the wiring, as so many safety systems can be easily compromised. The days of simply splicing an accessory in at a convenient wire, like we all used to do back in the older Holden/Ford days are gone.
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby MrCozy on Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:36 am

I've tapped the parking lights directly behind the parking light at the business end on the drivers side, and cable tied the wire to the loom running along the fender past the overflow, to the firewll and down through. I reopened the dash last night and shifted the loom around a little bit so wasnt directly in front of the fuse block, so will see how that goes this morning.

The ground at the switch end as I said before, is grounded just above the fusebox to one of the 2 screws holding the fusebox to the chassis. extra wiring is tucked in up under the dash a little to the left of the fusebox.

The main power to the lights is connected at the battery, with inline fuse, then going to the 40A relap, which Ive secured in place using the same bolt from the main fuse box in the engine bay. The ground for the business end of the foglights is grounded to the body at the bash plate...not the greatest location, i know, but will suffice till I can extend the wire. The Wiring loom from lights to firewall is run through channel behind fusebox in engine bay, and tied to loom running back all the way to the firewall access.

It does look like im up for a new battery though...black in the sight hole, little bit of boil over corrosion at the hold down bracket :roll: ...hopefully the alternator is fine...Ive misplaced my meter during my move a few months ago, so not been able to check the output yet, but am hearing a little bit of chirping in the general vicinity
MrCozy

Postby MrCozy on Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:16 am

Now, I've just received new switches I plan to use for the Fogs and spotties, and on the diagram, it states for newer vehicles, a 1amp diode should be added on the line from switch to relay on newer, negative switched vehicles, with the direction of flow to the relay. Guess this means another trip to Jaycar, which I found, is cheaper than Bunnings, where connectors and such is concerned, even with my Team discount :roll: :lol:
MrCozy

Postby NowForThe5th on Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:37 pm

From what you've described it sounds like you've done it right, but I'm not 100% sure.

This diagram is how it should be, substituting parkers for high beam and foglights for light bar. Maybe check that you've done the same?

Click to view larger picture

Wired correctly, as above, there should be no need for a diode, since there is no current to flow back, unless there was a short, and then the fuse will take care of it.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby MrCozy on Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:46 pm

Thanks 5th...Way mine is wired is almost identical, though the line from 86 terminal of relay to the high beam is from parking light pos back to the push switch in the dash..the push switch is a four wire( though on the old switch, 2 are joined to also provide illumination) the new switches are slightly different, but similar.

It seems to be just coincidence that about the other issues...the battery actually did develop a bad cell. Replaced today with a new Panasonic 740cca, 140min reserve capacity, and 3yr warranty for $258

At that point, after the battery was changed, and tested, alternator was charging at 13.5V. After driving for an hour or so, and shutting off twice in that period, start up again, and the battery light and fuel filter light came back on steady, then eventually went out. tested when got a chance and voltage across the battery only at 12.18. Drove a bit more, full A/C going, radio, etc...voltage only at 11.8..OBD2 readings at ECU 11.6-11.65, so I'm guessing the alternator as it warms up, something in the voltage regulator on the alternator is getting weak or separating, and only producing roughly 11-12v, and of course, it seems to be the 4pin version..will confirm tomorrow....new, at a cost of anywhere $400-$600, so am vigorously searching ebay and google to see if I can find new under $300, or secondhand under $200.

Hopefully, somebody will read this, that knows somebody in Melbourne Metro area that can point me in the right direction. :lol:
MrCozy

Postby BillMcQuade on Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:03 pm

Turn off the vehicle, disconnect the positive lead from the alternator and put an ammeter in between the cable and the alternator output. If you are drawing current (it will be in the order of 0.5A - 3A+) , it means the rectifier has gone. Do this with a cold and a hot test. This can cause issues with battery draining, and also create problems with the ECU.
White 2013 MN GLX+ manual

"Tuned by Doctor Diesel"
BillMcQuade
Platinum Subscriber

Postby MrCozy on Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:38 pm

Thanks for the advice..problem sorted. After replacing battery, and secondhand alternator ($195), and still having same issue, 16v coming up from starter wire, but only 11.7 at the post, double check the links again..ok. Then had very detailed look at all the connections at the post and links..come to find the starter connection had melted plastic all around it, and the connection on the other side the nut was loose several threads. Undid both connections, cleaned em up and reconnected. Started her up, check output..12.8 and climbing. Smacking head. Mechanic blew a fuse link when working on it before, must got distracted and didn’t finish the job.
MrCozy

Postby RHKTriton on Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:22 am

Every effect has a cause! :lol:

So now is the time to do some maintenance on your original alternator.

Alternators are generally a tough beast.

Reminds me when a couple of years ago, son rings me at 4pm to say he'd broken down in the middle of Warrigul road at the Princes Hwy. Long story short, on getting his jeep home, I found the alternator's brushes had worn the slip rings down through to the insulation, effectively dangling in a trench, occasionally making contact with any remaining slip ring. Ultimately, 18yrs out of any ancillary device ain't too bad. :lol:
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby MrCozy on Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:41 pm

Finished upgradeat least 95% anyways..somehow got wrong can of paint to paint the chrome fog light rings black..got satin instead of matte..small job for another day, anyways
Also pair of 7” Cree rectangular spotlights

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MrCozy

Postby MrCozy on Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:45 pm

This is where she started from

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MrCozy

Postby xenocatalyst on Thu Jan 30, 2020 8:43 am

Hi MrCozy,

Where did you get those swtiches to fit the dash from?
I haven't had any luck looking for them.
xenocatalyst

Return to Electrical