Throttle Body Wiring looks like its been tampered with

Throttle Body Wiring looks like its been tampered with

Postby jowmow on Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:29 pm

Hi Forum,
I recently purchased a very low kms and very original 2013 MN Triton GLX dual cab 4D56 Automatic which was a local shire fleet vehicle with 54,000kms.

It looks like some foreign electrical tape has been wrapped around the wiring of the throttle body. I rang up the local Mitsubishi dealer which did all of its servicing but they didnt have any record of anything that may have been done. See attached photo. Its the orangy yellow tape. Any info on similar scenarios would be great.

Click to view larger picture[/URL]
jowmow

Re: Throttle Body Wiring looks like its been tampered with

Postby NowForThe5th on Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:23 pm

Your photo is way too small to see in detail but the more obvious thing is the colour of the seals in the back of the plug. I don't recall ever seeing those purplish coloured seals anywhere on an OEM connector - generally they're a sign of a Chinese made fitting.

So, my guess is that the plug has been replaced at some point, perhaps after suffering damage. Accidental or maybe the catch was broken, something that does happen from time to time if the plug gets a bit dirty and stuck in the socket.

Apart from the seals and the yellow tape, the job looks professionally done, although I probably would have put some split loom tube over that wiring.

At any rate, if it's not causing an issue, don't worry about it.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby RHKTriton on Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:46 am

That would explain the tape.

Most likely old connector chopped off and new one with tail soldered onto wires.
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby jowmow on Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:21 am

Thanks guys. The strange thing is, it looks like only a couple of the wires have tape around them and the rest are the original, ie, the 2 greenies run from the connector and out into the loom with no intersection of any other wires. Doesnt make sense. Thought it mightve been a 'cut a certain wire job to stop/mod or bypass a problem'
jowmow

Throttle Body Wiring looks tampered with

Postby jowmow on Sun Aug 18, 2019 8:09 pm

Hi Forum,
I recently purchased a very low kms and very original 2013 MN Triton GLX dual cab 4D56 Automatic which was a local shire fleet vehicle with 54,000kms.

It looks like some foreign electrical tape has been wrapped around the wiring of the throttle body. I rang up the local Mitsubishi dealer which did all of its servicing but they didnt have any record of anything that may have been done. See attached photo. Its the orangy yellow tape. Any info on similar scenarios would be great. Strange thing is the green wiring is untouched from what it looks like. People have said it looks like a replacment connector but some of the wiring is untouched so it cant be.

Click to view larger picture
jowmow

Postby NowForThe5th on Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:05 pm

Topics merged.

Jowmow, one is enough.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby jowmow on Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:15 pm

Sorry mate. Thought id posted in the forum that was for MQ+ models. So thought id post it in the MN section. My bad
jowmow

Postby SLIMaxPower on Wed Aug 21, 2019 6:15 pm

some type of chip/mod was used previously.