Headlights will not swith off and turn signals will not work

Headlights will not swith off and turn signals will not work

Postby JustAtrucker on Sun Dec 22, 2019 5:59 pm

Hi guys. i am very new here. I have searched this topic and found nothing, please help.
i have a 2007 2.5D Triton. Last nigh out of the blue my headlights will not switch off when the car is switched on even when the switch is turned to the off position. Also the turn signals will not work, no clicking from the relays nothing. The hazards work, but i suspect they are on a different circuit altogether. I have tried disconnecting the battery over night still the problem is there. The car runs like normal, and and i have no "engine light" that comes on. I am a bit stumped here..... please any ideas?
JustAtrucker

Re: Headlights will not swith off and turn signals will not

Postby NowForThe5th on Mon Dec 23, 2019 2:45 am

Replace stalk.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby JustAtrucker on Sat Jan 04, 2020 1:34 am

hi, have you had this problem and was this the fix? Any help will be appreciated :D
JustAtrucker

Postby RHKTriton on Sat Jan 04, 2020 2:49 pm

The two items, that cop the wear and tear are usually the light stalk and ignition switch/lock units.

From your own test you've more or less proven that the basic indicator circuitry is ok.

Lighting stuck on, would suggest either a collapsed switch or faulty relay, however, the blinkers being involved points back to the stalk.
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby NowForThe5th on Sat Jan 04, 2020 5:45 pm

Similar, yes.

Firstly I presume that you've done the most obvious thing, which is to check the fuse (J/C 5, Fuse 15) which is shown on the circuit diagram I uploaded, and that you've checked the circuit diagram for the indicators and noticed that it is the same fuse.

Surely no-one would waste the time of people on a forum without doing the basics first. So, using a little logic and some knowledge of the system....

Both the headlights switching and the indicator switching are controlled by a computer. The only place where those two, completely separate, circuits come together downstream is in the stalk. So, logic says that the stalk is the first place where one should look for the problem.

The other option is to look for complete breaks in the cabling between the steering column and the ETACS-ECU. Based on what you've told us, which includes no mention of any damage, it is only reasonable to look at the first possibility, first.

Now, considering the stalk itself. The headlights switch in the stalk is known to give occasional problems. The identical stalk is used in the Pajero and it was the cause of a recall because of dry joints in the connector where the stalk itself plugs in to the indicator switch on the steering column. So, it's feasible that a Triton, some 12 years old, could be suffering from the same issue. Solution in this case is to remove stalk, clean the contacts and replace with a smear of electrical grease on the contacts. This may solve the problem, but, if not, then stalk replacement is the answer since logic then tells us that the problem is in the switch at the end of the stalk, which is not serviceable.
Chris

NowForThe5th

Postby JustAtrucker on Sun Jan 05, 2020 1:33 am

firstly thank you for the reply. Yes..... checked the fuses and replays...... all good. This problem only pops up when it rains. Its as if water t is getting in somewhere. For the life of me i can not find it. I have no wet spots under the dash or anywhere near the fuse box or body control module. it all seems to come right after a few days drying out. Frustrating.
JustAtrucker

Postby JustAtrucker on Wed Jun 17, 2020 1:35 am

Finely fixed this...... the problem was a water leak in the top left corner of my windscreen that trickels water down the inside of my door rubber on the left hand door, that empties out on a group of plugs in the passenger side foot well...
JustAtrucker

Postby NowForThe5th on Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:21 am

Awesome!

So much for my series of logical deductions. :roll: :lol: :lol:
Chris

NowForThe5th

Return to Electrical