VGT solenoid

VGT solenoid

Postby Peem on Mon Feb 03, 2020 2:32 pm

Would VGT solenoid go by another name? Search yields nothing and it seems mine might be faulty as prolonged high manifold vacuum situations [like a long hill on the freeway] triggers engine management light.
Peem

Re: VGT solenoid

Postby DibbyDibbyDJ on Mon Feb 03, 2020 3:52 pm

What model do you have? if its an MQ then Refer to your dealer. there is a software update to cure this problem
2024 Outlander

mitsubishi-forums.com
DibbyDibbyDJ

Postby Peem on Mon Feb 03, 2020 4:59 pm

Thanks DibbyDibby,
it's an MN and it has happened before. The dealer suggested a new VGT valve so possibly he is not aware of software or not for MN. Found by a search outside NewTriton that it stands for Variable Geom Turbo. Post from someone near Mudgee mentioned a chip was available and Dawes valve but having trouble locating on the forum to access the links and every time I click on another tab have to log in to NewTriton when I return. As described in his post only happens when towing and long open throttle pull.
Peter
Peem

Postby Peem on Mon Feb 03, 2020 5:00 pm

Had to log in again during reply. Most annoying.
Peem

Postby DibbyDibbyDJ on Mon Feb 03, 2020 5:31 pm

The VGT solenoid has two thin pipes going to it. they run over the cam cover, and can get tiny holes and splits in the pipes. Also check they are going to the correct places. The pipe with the red line goes to the VGT actuator if my memory serves me right.

Also there is a damper chamber on the VGT solenoid. Make sure that is there and has not fallen off, or knocked off by accident. It just pushes on to the nipple on the VGT solenoid

Its not a common occurance, thats why i asked if it was a MQ. I have seen more MQ with that issue than MN.
2024 Outlander

mitsubishi-forums.com
DibbyDibbyDJ

Postby srb on Mon Feb 03, 2020 6:12 pm

Vgt solenoid isn't a common problem on the MN.. Do you know what code your ecu recorded?

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk
TO SEE HOW TO HAVE A TRIP OF A LIFE TIME v
http://www.exploroz.com/Members/281229. ... x#mptabs=2
http://www.flickr.com/photos/exploroz/

Only those who will risk going too far can possibly know how far they can go.
srb
Platinum Subscriber

Postby ag9111 on Mon Feb 03, 2020 6:22 pm

Peem wrote:Would VGT solenoid go by another name? Search yields nothing and it seems mine might be faulty as prolonged high manifold vacuum situations [like a long hill on the freeway] triggers engine management light.

Sounds like you have an overboost issue, which is a common problem with MN's. It is exacerbated by running a larger exhaust such as 3".
Tony, Mudgee, has had success with different devices and the dawes valve is a common fix. Dawes valves are used on many common rail vehicles.
I used to drive around it by backing off the throttle slightly whilst going up hill at full noise under load.
The ECU throws an engine light, and drops into limp mode, when it detects an overboost situation for 25sec's, if memory serves me.
By backing off for a fraction of a second you drop the boost off and reset the time.
Changing my 3" exhaust to 2.75" solved the issue
I love cats, but I couldn't eat a full one!

Mud is like unprotected sex
30 secs of fun for a lifetime of grief
ag9111
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Peem on Tue Feb 04, 2020 2:16 pm

Thanks to all replies.

Don't know the code - only going by dealers report about a year ago, last time I towed. Have since purchased an ODB2 reader but yet to set up my phone to talk to it so I guess that will become a priority. No hint of a problem during the intervening year until I hooked the van up again. It is interesting that this time I towed for three or four days on the back roads without a problem but then had a number of instances on the freeway when returning home. I came to realise it only occurred on the long semi-open throttle pulls and modified my driving to reduce speed and use a lower gear. Then no more problems although I will have to reset the engine management light.

I was lucky enough to have Mitsubishi install a new motor about 50,000 km ago, to solve the problem of overheating caused by mismatched machining between head and block [if you call it lucky that I had that problem]. Have only experienced this VGT problem since the new motor so will investigate all your suggestions as there may be a problem with re-plumbing after swap. So hard to find real knowledge.

Thanks again for all your help as all this newfangled stuff is baffling to someone who grew up using super petrol when the mark of proper tuning was to have grey exhaust pipe.
Peter
Peem

Postby Peem on Tue Feb 04, 2020 2:17 pm

Should also have mentioned that car is pretty much bog standard with standard exhaust.
Peem

Postby Peem on Tue Feb 04, 2020 2:20 pm

PPS have taken on suggestion about backing off for a fraction of a second but probably won't know how well this works until the next time I tow. Have also messaged Tony at Mudgee.
Peem

Postby WUNSIE on Tue Feb 04, 2020 6:45 pm

Peem wrote:Thanks to all replies.
someone who grew up using super petrol when the mark of proper tuning was to have grey exhaust pipe.
Peter

Mate I could remember my Ol,man who would always walk around to the tail pipe and give it the swipe so to speak and boast proudly at how nice and grey the exhaust was on his 318ci V8 Valiant wagon after a good run and taught me from a young age that that is a sign of a healthy engine, Ah the good ol days ;)
WUNSIE

Postby ag9111 on Wed Feb 05, 2020 6:17 pm

Peem wrote:Should also have mentioned that car is pretty much bog standard with standard exhaust.

Overboost has occured on standard engines with standard exhausts.
It is just exacerbated by having a larger exhaust
I love cats, but I couldn't eat a full one!

Mud is like unprotected sex
30 secs of fun for a lifetime of grief
ag9111
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Peem on Sun Feb 09, 2020 3:58 pm

Thought I should offer an update since I have now managed to get Torque Lite bluetoothed to ODB2. It showed no ‘logged faults’ and no ‘historic faults’ which is a little baffling as the engine management light was still on and the same fault had occurred about a year ago [which I would called historic] but when I clicked on ‘clear logged faults’ the light disappeared. I found something in the online manual about doing a static test with electricity and vacuum on the VGT solenoid but the weather has not been suitable to get around to this lately but I suspect it will test okay.
So thanks again to all who replied and I may add to this later.
Peem

Postby Peem on Sun Feb 09, 2020 4:21 pm

One more question. Google search for MR258166 VGT solenoid yields everything but. Any thoughts?
Peem

Return to Electrical