2010 MN GLXR - Android 2DIN Recommendation

2010 MN GLXR - Android 2DIN Recommendation

Postby Bammo on Sat Jul 04, 2020 12:34 pm

Hi Guys,

My 2010 MN currently has an Android 7" tablet in the top of the dash in place of the trip computer and an aftermarket Pioneer H/U in the dash. No steering wheel controls. Its worked well but the Android tablet is well past end-of-life now and time for an upgrade.

Plan is to purchase a full install kit from Aerpro (FP9013K) and put a 2Din Android HU at the top and reinstate the trip computer.

Anyone got a recommendation for the head unit? I want something that is reliable and hassle-free so it connects automagically every time - the cheap Chinese units just aren't consistent enough in my experience though happy to be corrected? Ideally I would like to be able to run Android Apps from the App Store on the HU too - does this means I need a pure Android unit instead of Android Auto?

Lastly, that FP9013K kit from Aerpro doesn't include the patch lead between the DIN unit and the steering wheel adapter - I've gone around and around in circles trying to figure out what one to buy - do I just choose the HU first then sort that out?
Bammo

Re: 2010 MN GLXR - Android 2DIN Recommendation

Postby NowForThe5th on Sat Jul 04, 2020 5:30 pm

Since buying the ML I've now been through 6 of these Double DIN units. The cheap ones are rubbish while those like the ones sold by DigOptions have been the best - but they all die after a while. Perhaps the "name"brand ones may be better but I've seen a few of those head the same way and the ones I looked at didn't have the ability to load the software I wanted. That may be different with the Android units.

With my current one now having volume control and screen issues I looked around and have decided to go with a quality touch screen and a Single Board Computer to run it. There are lots of Raspberry Pi equivalents out there with specs that would run a desktop computer and I'd get the ability to run both Android and Linux on the same machine. You need to be a little bit tech savvy but most things just plug and play. Overall cost works out roughly the same. Some of the hardware may need a little fabrication to fit, but nothing too difficult and 3D printing can work wonders.

I've started with a 10" touch screen, SBC with 4+2 core CPU at 1.8GHz, 4 GB RAM, Full HD graphics and 240GB Solid State Drive. Bench testing now and adding components still, but should end up being everything I need.

If you want to buy off the shelf then just choose a HU that does what you want. Connectivity can be worked out.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby Bammo on Sun Jul 05, 2020 9:17 pm

I started this whole journey with a hacked laptop and budget touchscreen so have experience going down that path but for a couple of reasons I need to stick with Android. Firstly, I want a simple solution that works reliably and quickly - particularly for the reversing camera. I start the car, put it into reverse and I want the camera to come up - not start booting the O/S and then ask me to connect WiFi etc! Secondly, some of the apps I want to run are only available on Android - for managing remote thermal camera inputs etc so I need something that is at *least* Android 7.0 but preferably 9.0 or even 10.0.

The bit I am not 100% sure about is whether to go a pure Android HU and run a dedicated data SIM in it or run an Android Auto HU and use the phone for data. Ideally, I want the car to be able to operate stand-alone so am leaning towards the pure Android solution...
Bammo

Postby Bammo on Thu Oct 08, 2020 10:10 pm

OK time for a quick update and a question. I bought an Atoto S8 Premium H/U and intend to relocate to the trip computer to the stereo spot.

The conversion kit I bought for the trip computer doesn't have room for the daughter PCB board that sits on top of the trip computer (hiding under that little black hood). I can easily mod the conversion kit to allow the daughter board to be installed and safely tucked away somewhere above the comupter.

...but...

What's that daughter board for? Given it was located off the main trip computer PCB and in a plastic shell I am assuming that it is something to do with the vehicle compass? Has anyone had any issues with this just sitting on top of the trip computer in the lower dash area?
Bammo

Postby thebaton on Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:39 pm

I listen to audiobooks a fair bit in my car. If I listen to an audiobook on mp3 and want to switch back to listening to music on mp3 I lose the position I am in the book which is a huge pain.

I end up burning CDs (how stone age!) so that I can change source and swap between music and audiobooks/long podcasts without losing my spot.

Can someone with an android system like digoptions tell me whether I could swap between mp3 files and not lose my position? or would I end up having to keep burning cds ? at least with a dvd I could store longer books and not have to be limited to 700mb size !
thebaton

Return to Electrical