Loss of Speed signal

Loss of Speed signal

Postby Wannis on Tue Aug 24, 2021 12:58 am

Hi guys,
have a 2008 L200 with manual gearbox. First the alternator had a shortcut and the batteries were discharged (first we thought that the problem was the batteries and charging them again and again and jump starting the car with cables from another car). Changed the alternator to a new one. After this (or at the same time as the alternator broke down) the speedometer started to work spontaneous on and off and after a while stopped working totally.

Read the Error codes "low/no speed signal". Changed the speed sensor in the gearbox. But still the same error code.

Had a mechanic check the cables and everything seems to be fine with them. Any ideas? Could the ECU had a turn after trying to jump start the cars with cables? or when the alternator had a short cut?
Wannis

Re: Loss of Speed signal

Postby RHKTriton on Tue Aug 24, 2021 8:15 am

Haven't looked at it on my ML, but on the 2009 MN that my son had, there is a plug setup behind the console ( from memory) where the wires from the sensor, ecu, RV Meter and instrument cluster all get commoned up. I'd give this a shot of electrical cleaner and make sure the shorting plug is properly inserted.

Having another read through your post, its a worry that your issue seems to start with the alternator works. It's possible you've damaged electronics with the jump starting.

Do you have the RV Meter? If so, are the fuel economy and distance to empty figures updating?
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Wannis on Tue Aug 24, 2021 1:24 pm

Thanks for your ideas. The wiring behind the consol, is that within the glove compartment? The speedomeeter and distance does not work. Everything else seems to work fine with the car. It run as it should.
Wannis

Postby RHKTriton on Wed Aug 25, 2021 8:01 am

I think it was towards end of centre console in the footwell. Best shot would check a manual.
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Return to Electrical