All Cabin Power Lost on Start

All Cabin Power Lost on Start

Postby timboc85 on Wed Feb 23, 2022 8:10 am

Apologies if this issue already exists, I had a search around and couldn't find anything.
The last two mornings I've been losing electrical power to the entire cabin when I go to start the engine. Yesterday the car started fine, drive 5mins to childcare drop-off then when I got back in the car, turned key to ignition and waited for glow plug light to go out, all normal, turned key to start and everything went dark. No dashlights, radio, interior lights, nothing. After about 10 mins of Googling and finding nothing I noticed the interior light had come back on. Car started normally. Same thing happened this morning, but this time it didn't start the first time like yesterday.
I checked the battery and it is fine. It's only a year old and reputable brand (Century), plus I can measure 12V on it while the cabin has no power.
Once the car starts it's fine, drove it 25mins to work without problems. So it only seems to be an issue on start.
I wonder if there is a resettable fuse somewhere that might be causing this? I haven't heard of that in a car before, but that's the only thing I can think of to explain it. Maybe my starter motor is on the way out and occasionally pulls enough current to "trip" something?
Anyone come across this before or have any ideas what might be going on?
timboc85

Return to Electrical