Caravan Hazard Lights Blowing Fuse

Caravan Hazard Lights Blowing Fuse

Postby PhillipJ on Mon Aug 22, 2022 3:07 pm

Never towed much with my MN but recently got a caravan and if I turn on the hazard lights with it hooked up the indicator/hazard 10A fuse immediately blows. Adding up the Triton indicator bulbs and the two 21W indicators on the caravan exceeds 10A so no mystery there but it seems a bit strange that the circuit is so close to the limit without a trailer.

I think my options are low power (probably LED) lights for the van or putting in a 15A fuse and hoping I don't start a fire.

Anyone now how big a risk the 15A fuse is or have any other ideas I could try before replacing the lights?

Cheers.
PhillipJ

Re: Caravan Hazard Lights Blowing Fuse

Postby WUNSIE on Mon Aug 22, 2022 4:58 pm

For it to blow immediately sounds like a dead short. Remove both the caravan indicator globes and try turning the hazards on and see what happens, if the fuse blows again, then you know its not the extra draw doing it, but a dead short somewhere between the plug and van lights, speaking of plug , open up the van connector plug and check what its like inside
If it looks like new tail lights have been fitted to the van, remove them and check that the wiring hasn't chafed
WUNSIE

Postby PhillipJ on Tue Aug 23, 2022 3:16 am

Don't think it's a short because that would blow the fuse from have either left or right indicators on but it only blows with all of them on.
PhillipJ

Postby RHKTriton on Tue Aug 23, 2022 8:50 am

Has the MN got the proper trailer loom?

This should provide an independent supply via relays.

Definitely don't use larger fuses anywhere! Auto wiring is designed within a bee's dick of what should be in place and will quickly become a fire starter!
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby PhillipJ on Tue Aug 23, 2022 9:28 am

Indicators are not supplied via that additional inline fuse, only brake and tail lights. A bit of a search around on this site leads me to believe this is normal as you can find plenty of instances of people losing trailer brake lights but still having indicators working because that fuse has gone.

Like this thread: viewtopic.php?p=28204
PhillipJ

Postby PhillipJ on Thu Sep 01, 2022 9:27 am

Solved this by replacing the caravan 21W globes with LEDs that draw about 5W.
PhillipJ

Postby WUNSIE on Thu Sep 01, 2022 6:16 pm

Good to hear mate ;)
WUNSIE

Return to Electrical