Possible damaged ECU

Possible damaged ECU

Postby Kierangesle4 on Wed Oct 12, 2022 8:04 am

Hi guys,

I've been lurking the forum for years, every time I have an issue with my triton really. I have a 08 glxr model and I've had gremlins with the electrical for years. I get engine codes for MAF, MAP and fuel pressure sensors daily and have for quite a long time. I usually just use the scan tool to clear them and be on my way. My air intake temperature bounces from -10 degrees to 50 degrees within the second, throttle position sits either on 20.8 or 100, never in between. My cruise control stopped working a few years ago and now I'm driving from Brisbane to Cloncurry monthly I decided to try to get it working again. (No cruise light on dash at all for years). I replaced the clock spring and that did nothing. Using wiring diagrams I found the power wire to the cruise switch and it had no power coming from the ecu. I decided to jump 12v directly to that switch to see what happens and it worked. I removed my jump wire and it is still working but I still get the usual engine light and error codes. This leads me to believe my ecu is faulty (and every single error code diagnostic has faulty ECU as a possibility). I have bought a second hand ecu, I'm just wondering if anyone has information on reprogramming it to work with my car as I've seen some info about the etacs , keys/ immobiliser etc. Or if anyone knows of anyone in Brisbane who can do it??

Thanks guys
Kierangesle4

Re: Possible damaged ECU

Postby Kierangesle4 on Wed Oct 12, 2022 8:32 am

Also, forgot to mention it charges at 14.7v which I think is a bit high. I've had 3 batteries swell up in it in the 10 years I've owned it, probably replaced 50 or so headlight/ Park light bulbs and the blower fan stopped working a few years back and I found it to be the little box which had the resistors in it for the fan speed, all the solder joins had been hot and popped. I'm wondering if I should remove the ecu, open it up for a visual inspection?

Thanks
Kierangesle4

Postby NowForThe5th on Wed Oct 12, 2022 12:27 pm

At least you've had the advantage of nice bright headlights, when they're working, that is. :P I'm having trouble understanding why you've put up with these problems for so long, and worn the costs of the various replacements you've done.

14.7V is a bit high but not beyond the acceptable range which goes up to about 14.9V. Even so, it's not just voltage but current as well and a fault in the alternator will produce ECU failure and would have me looking first at the alternator. Maybe ECU damage isn't so bad that feeding it correctly wouldn't solve the issues. Don't know from here but much easier to swap a known good alternator than fit and code an ECU. If the problem persists then maybe look at the ECU, but I suspect that an overvoltage or improperly regulated supply may be the root cause. They're not a "smart" alternator and voltage is not controlled by the ECU. Alternator testing specifications are detailed in the online manual.

An ECU change can be done but requires the unit to be coded to the car and that means a MUT3 and only dealers have the latest versions. That said, with their resources, dealers have the best chance of diagnosing the problem, quickly.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby gartam on Wed Oct 12, 2022 2:06 pm

Any tuner should be able to read the ecu on a bench and clone it and swap it over. You just have to find the right person to do it.
gartam

Postby Kierangesle4 on Wed Oct 12, 2022 2:59 pm

G'day,

I have replaced the alternator about 2 years ago. I've put up with it because I have had a work vehicle for most of the last 10 years and only really took the triton camping.
Kierangesle4

Postby RHKTriton on Fri Oct 14, 2022 8:04 am

At what time are you measuring the voltages?

Mine goes high after starting but then gradually goes back around 13.8v.

Sounds like it's getting a dodgy reference point. ( haven't checked out circuit).

If not already done, I'd unplug the ECU and give the plug and socket a shot of contact cleaner.

Also the connectors on the ETACS.

Make sure the battery is disconnected for these tasks.
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Kierangesle4 on Fri Oct 14, 2022 6:28 pm

Thanks for that suggestion mate I'll give that a try. I have removed the etacs before and opened it up looking for obvious damage but I'll give the contact cleaner a go. I have the scan tool plugged in all the time when I'm driving and it's between 14.3v and 14.8v all the time.
Kierangesle4

Postby RHKTriton on Sat Oct 15, 2022 8:48 am

What model battery are you using?

The reason I'm suspect of electrical contacts is that I had the dreaded SRS light years ago. The common dealer solution was to replace the wiring loom. Being a tight arse, I buzzed out the wiring, cleaned the contacts and all good since.

I would suggest the humidity in the factories is the culprit. Trapped moisture leading to corrosion.
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby NowForThe5th on Sat Oct 15, 2022 12:02 pm

Kierangesle4 wrote:I have the scan tool plugged in all the time when I'm driving

Remove it from the OBDII port and see what happens.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Return to Electrical