MN Triton charging issue

MN Triton charging issue

Postby jnik on Sat Nov 12, 2022 9:24 am

My 2013 Triton has developed a charging issue that I've been unable to troubleshoot.

My first thought was that it would be the battery, as it was pretty old. I already had a new battery (less than 2 weeks old), so I installed it.

The battery voltage was 12.8V regardless of whether the engine was running or not.

After checking the "ALT" fusable link was OK I ordered an alternator from a wreckers.

I've installed the replacement (I can't call it "new", but it was off another 2013 which was reported as having driven 124k) ... same outcome (no voltage increase when the engine is running).

With the ignition off, the battery is sitting at 12.8V. I've checked the "B" terminal on the battery ... also 12.8V.

The alternator's regulator plug only has two wires (manual transmission) ... 12.4V on the "always on" terminal, 0V on the (switched) "warning light" terminal (this is with the plug removed from the alternator).

With the ignition on, the only thing that changes is the "warning light" terminal goes to 11.8V.

With the regulator plug back on the alternator and the engine running, the voltage at the battery drops to 12.2V.

So, are both alternators (original and the one from the wreckers) faulty, or could there be a problem elsewhere?

TIA,
J.
jnik

Re: MN Triton charging issue

Postby DibbyDibbyDJ on Sat Nov 12, 2022 12:20 pm

Does the Warning light come on with just the ignition on?
2024 Outlander

mitsubishi-forums.com
DibbyDibbyDJ

Postby jnik on Sat Nov 12, 2022 12:30 pm

DibbyDibbyDJ wrote:Does the Warning light come on with just the ignition on?

The battery warning light comes on (with all of the others) when the ignition is on, but goes off when the engine is running.

When the issue first presented the battery warning light came on (along with the washer warning light!) when the car was idling. I was going to check it out when I got home, but the car stalled < 1km from home, by then the entire dash was lit up.
jnik

Postby DibbyDibbyDJ on Sat Nov 12, 2022 5:29 pm

Have you checked ALL of the fuses?
2024 Outlander

mitsubishi-forums.com
DibbyDibbyDJ

Postby jnik on Sun Nov 13, 2022 7:34 am

DibbyDibbyDJ wrote:Have you checked ALL of the fuses?

Pretty much (didn't check the headlight ones as they weren't energised at the time) ... but I'll double-check 'em this morning.
jnik

Postby jnik on Sun Nov 13, 2022 8:23 am

Yup ... EVERY fuse checked (including headlights and electric seats ... even though I don't have them!).

I even rotated each of the relays.

Still no charge.

I'm going to see if I can get both alternators tested tomorrow.
jnik

Postby DibbyDibbyDJ on Sun Nov 13, 2022 11:27 am

how about the fusible link on battery terminal
2024 Outlander

mitsubishi-forums.com
DibbyDibbyDJ

Postby jnik on Wed Nov 16, 2022 9:55 am

Done.

The autoelec couldn't fit me in for a while, so I just ordered a new replacement alternator Monday night, took out the secondhand one during a break in the rain on Tuesday, the new one arrived this morning ... fitted it, all good.

So, trying to save $210 by buying the secondhand alternator ended up costing me days of head scratching and didn't save me a cent (actually cost me $35) ... but I'm much better at sitting in my wheel well and getting alternators in and out, so that's a plus(?)!
jnik

Return to Electrical