Airbag Warning Light

Re: Airbag Warning Light

Postby slickncghia on Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:54 pm

I'm not 100% convinced that 1 occurrence of the fault in 6 years at this stage necessitates a new harness. I'm not convinced it will be good willed either as some have had luck with that and others not. not really wanting to find out at the end of a big bill and being without my car unless it's necessary.

I'm not even convinced Mitsubishi knows what components are causing the fault. Replacing the harness screams of a corporate knee jerk bandaid.

Connectors jiggle around ect. The fault isn't current. I will watch how it unfolds in the next while.

If it keeps reoccurring then I will bring it to a dealer and try my luck with them.

I'm hoping my luck is more like rktriton
slickncghia

Triton airbag light on dash came on at 55000 klm

Postby 2013triton on Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:41 am

Good morning all, just been doing some research into this common manufacturer fault with Mitsubishis unsafe wiring loom that powers the airbag system. All owners of Mitsubishi will know about or will experience it as it is a manufacturer's fault from new. The dreaded airbag light comes on for no other reason than its faulty design poor contacts in the connecting plugs. So I did some research And I come across this Australian government website to list faulty design products. Come on all Mitsubishi owners follow this link fill out your details its the only way we can get a recall, is to make some noise about. Please don't sit on your hands with this one. People have spent thousands of dollars to have this defective wiring loom replaced. This is a very concerning safety issue that the government needs to get Mitsubishi to do a product recall just like the faulty airbags. Please help me to make some noise. Heres to link to get the ball rolling
https://www.productsafety.gov.au/contac ... fe-product
2013triton

Postby NowForThe5th on Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:36 am

2013triton, I've moved your post here, since this is the thread relating to airbag warning lights.

While the issue is not uncommon it certainly isn't every Triton that is affected so seeking a recall isn't the solution. Nor is it something specific that can be deemed to be a design fault. Mitsubishi have been pretty reasonable about honouring their obligations, when asked.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby RHKTriton on Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:46 am

Re the airbag warning light. My ML had this lol up several years ago. Got the warning cleared, only to reappear several months later. The loom under the driver's seat that connects to the seatbelt tensioner was the cause.

After 'disarming' the system, I removed the section from under the dash to b pillar. Continuity checks showed it all ok.

All the connectors were cleaned with contact cleaner and a smidge of dielectric grease applied before reassembly.

I've had absolutely no issues since then.

My conclusion is that a lot of stuff produced in Asian countries is assembled in humid environments.

Entrapped moisture eventually leads to corrosion, causing high resistance on contacts. Note that it won't necessarily be visible to the named eye.
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby m sciffer on Thu Jul 02, 2020 3:17 pm

hi there
if you think the dealer would help you forget it .when on a trip up north the air bag light came on and when checked I was told by a dealer up there that mit will not cover it. So I rang my dealer in Grafton and was told that other owners could not get the wiring done under warranty.
While up north I sent a email to mit and told them that the car is not road worthy,because the air bags don't deploy in a accident and waited 3 to 4hrs and a email from mit and agree that the car was nearly 12 months out of warranty they would honour the repair and when the dealer found out they were not happy .they were missing out on the money for the repair side . after owning two tritons and the mn triton came out with too many defects for a ute . I could not trust it with the motor overheating in the back of my mine on a trip and the high cost of a service over 2 thousand dollars for the five year service and only 58000 km on the clock . so I bought a 4ltr petrol ute with no timing belt but a chain I might use more petrol than the diesel but I can do the service myself .
m sciffer

Postby LJOS on Wed Sep 02, 2020 9:30 am

So I have now joined the SRS warning light club :(

This is the first issue that I have had with my 2012 GLX-R, So the light came on on the 7 August 2020 so I took the vehicle into Windsor Mitsubishi and they ran the Diagnostic scanner across it and as true as nut code B1441 showed up (Front Right Curtain Airbag). They reset all of the connections they could get to without stripping the interior, reset the code and sent me on my way with my wallet $160 lighter.

The SRS warning light came on again last week so I took the vehicle into Heartland Mitsubishi in Castle Hill this morning to get it attended to. Same code, apparently the floor and roof harness need to be replaced. They only have one of the parts in stock and will have to order the other part from Japan - waiting time 4-6 weeks :roll:

Cost to do the job $1050 and its an all day job!

Does anyone happen to know what the part numbers are for these parts?
mort certa hora uncerta
LJOS

Postby RHKTriton on Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:21 pm

Zero on the part numbers.

Just recounting my experience with the driver's side pretensioner loom fault; the SRS light came on and got reset a couple of times after a short period.

The standard remedy was a wiring loom replacement.

I decided to trace the loom and ended up cleaning all the plugs and sockets with contact cleaner and reconnected them with a small dose of dielectric grease. After reset the SRS, I have had no further issues for several years.

Before pulling your interior apart, the dealer should do some basic continuity checks and see if any shorts exist. The way wiring looms are run, it should be unlikely for them to get damaged post vehicle production.
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Handy_Wayne on Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:10 pm

Hello All,
I have the airbag light on on a 2010 MN.
I know that the light came on because I unplugged the instrument panel with the power on, this triggers a fault in the SRS system and logs a connection error, thus turning the light on.
I am looking for somewhere in Brisbane that will clear the airbag codes without charging an arm and a leg.
Any help would be appreciated, thanks Wayne
Handy_Wayne

Postby RHKTriton on Sat Jul 24, 2021 9:09 am

I'd give a couple of conveniently located dealers a ring and get a price. Just explain what you did and they may just charge you a small fee.

Can't hurt to ask.
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Previous

Return to Electrical