Airbag Warning Light

Re: Airbag Warning Light

Postby Stumpy on Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:25 pm

No I'm not the original owner I bought the car 2nd hand but it has been always fully serviced by Mitsubishi. I thought this was a common problem after reading all the posts on here about the same issue.

That was my though as well that the airbag harness has SFA to do with the amount of k's on the car and by the sound of it it should have been a national recall.

Might press the issue further with Mitsubishi and see how I go.

Thanks Cowboy for the reply.
Stumpy

Postby Lee-thal on Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:17 am

Where are you located?
Lee-thal

Postby variflex on Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:18 am

Stumpy wrote:No I'm not the original owner I bought the car 2nd hand but it has been always fully serviced by Mitsubishi. I thought this was a common problem after reading all the posts on here about the same issue.

That was my though as well that the airbag harness has SFA to do with the amount of k's on the car and by the sound of it it should have been a national recall.

Might press the issue further with Mitsubishi and see how I go.

Perhaps we should collect some data from this forum and report the fault to push for a recall

http://www.recalls.gov.au/content/index ... mId/986050
variflex

Postby Lee-thal on Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:31 am

Manufacturers issue recalls all the time and they are in constant contact with the GOV in regards to to them. i could tell you how many i have on other vehicles right now. But they all have to meet the criteria to be a recall first.

I can assure you that if a recall was needed, then it would be in place, but from my understanding it does not meet the criteria for a recall (at this stage anyway).

Trust me i have asked/questioned it ;)
Lee-thal

Postby Sootie on Wed Jun 04, 2014 12:58 pm

gazman152 wrote:Any dramas with appearance of roof lining after they rip it off to put roof loom in? I had heard they never go back up looking as good as factory.

I didnt know they took the roof lining out to be honest.

I think for mine maybe they only had to replace the floor one but I will definitely be checking my roof when I get back to my car this arvo :lol:
Sootie

Postby kevin on Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:41 pm

Sootie wrote:
kevin wrote:Mine is in the workshop having the harness replaced. Will be interesting to see what happens afterwards! I have an after-market alarm which was wired into the harness - they had to cut the wires and of course I'll have to get it wired up again :roll:

Mine has been fine since the loom replace mate (about 20, 000kms ago) so hopefully you shouldn't have any more issues with that (fingers crossed).

Yep, all good now; they replaced upper and lower harnesses. Went across the Simpson and up to Alice Springs since the fix and no problems.
MY'10 MN GLX-R auto
MY'03 Forester XS
https://www.offroadsubarus.com/
kevin

Postby ronl on Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:14 pm

re airbag warning light

just one week before I needed to xfer my interstate registration the airbag light stayed on, so i failed the inspection & went to local dealer, who then suggested that Ii head on into town because they didn't have a scanner in their service department (sounds like not having a 12mm ringspanner to me). anyhow, I picked the bus up after leaving it with the dealer. a problem with the codes and connectors. we will need your bus for 2 days to replace the wiring harness(es) under warranty - whew!! i can still hear the ka-ching of cash registers for this one if it wasn't warranty. now, no need to worry we have ordered the bits, um... well ok. how long will it take to get the parts says i. anytime from 5 days to 4 months.. light was turned off and bus re-registered. the stealer says there is no problem here, i think there is (i had forgotten that i joined the site sometime late last year), but didn't even think of looking up the site again. seems to me that there is a problem considering that only a small percentage of owners are members of this site and this problem has been around for > 3 years.

no wonder i drink.

cheers
ronl

Postby gazman152 on Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:02 pm

Increasingly a problem. Mine is booked in for loom replacement in two week. It's at sub 30000 km MN.
gazman152

Postby beare on Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:49 pm

The looms are no longer being replaced , they are sourcing patch harness's now , quicker fix as long as the guys can solder properly! , the problems have been with the crimps at the connectors
beare

Postby gazman152 on Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:12 pm

My looms have been on order for a few months. Been told it's a full floor and roof loom. No mention of patch looms from dealer. Have been to told it's the connectors too. Too short a looms from factory result in connectors momentarily disconnecting and causing fault light. To be honest, I don't care what they do as long as they fix it permanently. Without the dirty paw marks on the roof liner too!
gazman152

Postby fraz91 on Fri Aug 08, 2014 6:17 am

gazman152 wrote:My looms have been on order for a few months. Been told it's a full floor and roof loom. No mention of patch looms from dealer. Have been to told it's the connectors too. Too short a looms from factory result in connectors momentarily disconnecting and causing fault light. To be honest, I don't care what they do as long as they fix it permanently. Without the dirty paw marks on the roof liner too!

Just had my looms replaced, same issue. Done under warranty and in 2 days, so pretty happy with that considering its technically out of its warranty period. I did have to wait about 6 months for the looms to arrive though :(

See the build up of my old Triton here.
fraz91

Postby Sootie on Fri Aug 08, 2014 12:31 pm

beare wrote:The looms are no longer being replaced , they are sourcing patch harness's now , quicker fix as long as the guys can solder properly! , the problems have been with the crimps at the connectors

Interesting, they wouldnt do that for one of the connectors on the back diff I broke because they were worried the change in resistance would bugger up the ABS sensors
Sootie

Postby aids84 on Fri Aug 08, 2014 4:11 pm

No soldering required for the patch harness, It runs adjacent to the floor harness and basically replaces all the SRS related wiring and connectors from the floor harness. It makes the job a bit quicker too.
aids84
Platinum Subscriber

Postby fraz91 on Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:43 pm

aids84 wrote:No soldering required for the patch harness, It runs adjacent to the floor harness and basically replaces all the SRS related wiring and connectors from the floor harness. It makes the job a bit quicker too.
that explains why mine didn't take too long, was expecting it to take a week or so

See the build up of my old Triton here.
fraz91

Postby gazman152 on Sat Aug 09, 2014 8:52 pm

My dealer said it will all be done in a day, plus the 30 K service, so it may be the patch harness. Ill enquire when it's done and update this thread for those that are interested.
gazman152

Postby Calblitzen on Tue Sep 23, 2014 7:22 am

On Sunday during a short time home the airbag warning light come on. When I got home I restarted the car and noticed that the light went out as per normal, however a second later it was on again. It was too late and I couldn't be bothered to look further.
Early Monday morning I found it interesting to back down the driveway and realized that I have no reversing lights and the reversing camera was not active.
After work I looked at the fuses and found the reversing circuit fuse had blown. Had a look around and still not sure why and will keep an eye on it.
However the airbag light is now back to normal. Must be one way of letting you know about a blown fuse.
No matter what life throws at you, SMILE.

Better to be looking at it, than looking for it.
Calblitzen

Postby dazza_241 on Mon Oct 06, 2014 5:44 pm

After loving the triton and sticking up for it after being bagged out by friends and family since I bought it the air bag warning light finally comes on over the weekend! Purchased new 10/10/10.... MY11. After reading these threads it seems there is no easy fix? A patch harness has been spoken about in previous posts... Is this just a cheap temp fix from mits? Is this fix reliable? Not keen on having a ute that's got 60k on it and no air bags!
You would have thought mits would have ensured that all owners who have this issue had the confidence that in the event of an accident the air bags would be deployed. Looks like I'm ringing mits Newcastle in the morning.
dazza_241

Postby kxboss on Mon Oct 06, 2014 6:23 pm

Bugger mines a 2012 MY13 and lights on for second time and only 53,000 klm
kxboss

Postby jcee on Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:18 pm

Mine just came on the weekend - 2010 MN with 61'000 :|
jcee

Postby GLRkenny on Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:02 pm

Add me to the list too, mine came on a couple of times a few months back, mainly when things were under the drivers seat, luckily my scanner can check and clear the SRS codes, always RH curtain airbag squib, has been ok for a couple of months but came on last night, I cleared it this morning and it came on again tonight, nothing stuffed under the seat this time (yes, I know the wiring is in the roof for the curtain airbags, but it consistently came on when things were shoved under the seat)
GLRkenny

Postby dazza_241 on Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:05 pm

That's interesting about things under the drivers seat....will double check nothing is under there.
I'm guessing a scan gauge 2 can't clear srs codes??
dazza_241

Postby GLRkenny on Tue Oct 07, 2014 7:10 am

dazza_241 wrote:That's interesting about things under the drivers seat....will double check nothing is under there.
I'm guessing a scan gauge 2 can't clear srs codes??

I don't believe that a scan gauge will clear SRS unfortunatley
GLRkenny

Postby FreestyleCab on Tue Oct 07, 2014 7:40 am

No, the ScanGauge2 does not see or clear airbag codes.
Brett
FreestyleCab

Postby andriesvdv on Tue Oct 07, 2014 6:18 pm

GLRkenny wrote:Add me to the list too, mine came on a couple of times a few months back, mainly when things were under the drivers seat, luckily my scanner can check and clear the SRS codes, always RH curtain airbag squib, has been ok for a couple of months but came on last night, I cleared it this morning and it came on again tonight, nothing stuffed under the seat this time (yes, I know the wiring is in the roof for the curtain airbags, but it consistently came on when things were shoved under the seat)

What scanner did you use to check and clear SRS codes?
andriesvdv

Postby Cowboy Dave on Tue Oct 07, 2014 6:26 pm

He is in the trade mate so it won't be a cheapie domestic one.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

PreviousNext

Return to Electrical