DMS Piggy Back Test Results

Re: DMS Piggy Back Test Results

Postby Stu on Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:12 am

Stu's DMS initial thoughts

I've had the DMS sitting here for about a month now, I did install it as soon as I got it but had to remove it due to the same problem I was having with the TDC unit (motor cutting out @ 3000rpm & check engine light)

So after a bit of discussion with hicko all problems were pointing to carbon buildup so on monday she went in for the 30,000k service, tuesday went in for software update and clean out of the carbon which made her run like a dream, thursday I re-installed the DMS unit/boost controller/boost cut module & unifilter and then spent the next half hour doing a few runs through the gears & getting the boost spot on 21psi and then friday I installed the egr blank from Alex then yesterday I got to spend a couple of hours behind the wheel.

First couple of runs I was really happy with the power, very simillar to the tdc on the highest setting but much smoother and she is smooth & driveable and starting to boost from 1200 rpm in any gear. Some of the guys installing the egr blank are attributing the lower rpm boost to that, it may be? I can't tell for sure.

One thing I noticed early in the runs yesterday was that in 3rd & 4th gear between 3000rpm & redline it was loosing power, pretty much in the exact same rev range that I used to get the check engine light and particularly at spot on 120kms an hour in 4th (right at the point where you'd be winding up in an overtaking manoeuvre) although this time no check engine light and after a couple of runs through the gears it has dissapeared. I think this may still be the carbon issue and the dealer hasn't gone as far as I would have liked in regards to cleaning so I'll follow that up in the next week or so

Currently, I'm rapped with the way it's running, tight, smooth and heaps of power with turbo lag virtually non existent
gets to 100kph without effort & without the need to rev much over 2000rpm although getting it up around the 3000rpm mark it gets moving as well as any v6. the low end torque is where I'm most impressed, going around a roundabout in 2nd gear with the revs at around 1500, plant the foot and the rh tyre just lights up instantly, not a little chirp but a full blown burnout with 32" tyres (remember my thread about turning the difflock on in 2wd :twisted: )

I'll keep this updated with fuel economy over the next couple of weeks

as some of you may have gathered, I'm a bit sceptical of salesmen and get pissed when they're trying to push their products in every second thread and if it wasn't for hicko I would have never tried this unit but I'm glad so far that I did.

Also I've tried the TDC again with the updates & still getting the check engine light and loss of power
If god didn't want us to eat animals, he wouldn't have made them out of food
Stu

Postby amalinze on Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:43 am

They are good arn't they! You need super select. Then you could do what i did and light up all four wheels!
METHANOL INJECTION ROCKS!
amalinze

Postby Stu on Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:46 am

amalinze wrote:You need super select.

you need to shut up

:lol:
Stu

Postby sierra on Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:06 am

Stu wrote: I think this may still be the carbon issue and the dealer hasn't gone as far as I would have liked in regards to cleaning so I'll follow that up in the next week or so

Stu,
I've never been a great believer in Wynns products but they go into a lot of detail about how to use the stuff that cleans out the carbon gunk with before and after pics and it might work for you or there might be another product that does it better? Sounds worth a go though?

http://www.wynns.net/product_files/Exha ... %20PIS.pdf
sierra

Postby daryn on Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:14 am

Thats interesting Sierra, I wonder if anyone here has done this, as I dont know my way around diesels i would not have the foggiest on where to spray, I do know where the fuel filler is at least.
daryn
Valued Contributor

Postby sierra on Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:37 am

daryn wrote:Thats interesting Sierra, I wonder if anyone here has done this, as I dont know my way around diesels i would not have the foggiest on where to spray, I do know where the fuel filler is at least.

The best hose to pull off would be the last one that connects to the intake manifold where the big throttle butterfly valve is that was mentioned recently. On mine[2.5] the EGR connects after that point so you would be treating the area contaminated. Gently on the throttle too, so you don't boost the turbo with an open system and wind it up to speeds it shouldn't go. It's a bit ambiguous when suggesting a drive because it doesn't mention reconnecting the hose to the inlet which , again, would be bad news for the turbo unless the computer shut it down[still bad news]
Sounds like it will rev when you spray because it's throttled by fuel not air, so might be a good idea to have someone in the pilots seat.
Using the last point of accesss like that you also avoid getting the stuff on the rubber hoses where it might speed up the ageing process?
Very straightforward but best get a mate to help.
sierra

Postby amalinze on Sun Aug 16, 2009 1:52 pm

Stu wrote:
amalinze wrote:You need super select.

you need to shut up

:lol:

And you need a one piece tail shaft! :lol:
amalinze

Postby hicko on Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:14 pm

Stu wrote:Stu's DMS initial thoughts
One thing I noticed early in the runs yesterday was that in 3rd & 4th gear between 3000rpm & redline it was loosing power, pretty much in the exact same rev range that I used to get the check engine light and particularly at spot on 120kms an hour in 4th (right at the point where you'd be winding up in an overtaking manoeuvre) although this time no check engine light and after a couple of runs through the gears it has dissapeared.

Stu
I found the exact same when I first installed the DMS. It was the DMS learning the computer settings and changing them to suit the new programming. I am running 32s as well and second gear wheelies on rounder a bouts are a bit of a worry. You will find that it is a lot more driveable now with the bigger wheels on . With standard wheel first gear is almost useless with the extra power.
Remember we do not inherit the earth from our ancestors
We borrow it from our children

My best day at work is still not as good as my worse day fishing
“Aren’t you wishing you were fishing “
hicko

Postby MonsterTriton on Tue Aug 18, 2009 2:53 am

right gents, happy you are happy with the performance.
Mind you, Hicko has the tuning cable and program, so he can provide retunes at anytime :)
THERE IS A MONSTER IN ALL OF US
MonsterTriton

Postby MonsterTriton on Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:07 am

An update,
Gordon Vin. from NZ
just dyno his 3.2L triton, he got very impressive results,
217HP and 585Nm of torque.
MonsterTriton

Postby MonsterTriton on Fri Sep 04, 2009 10:14 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_2QJt2KBvA

here is the dyno video....enjoy

325HP 725NM of torque, my monster triton.
offically not only most powerful 3.2 4m41 in the world,
but has also now taken Torque King title in thailand,
for the most torque generated by a four cylinder turbo diesel.
MonsterTriton

Postby Stu on Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:28 pm

Monster can you post a photo of your odometer please?
Stu

Postby mad992 on Sun Sep 13, 2009 7:18 am

hey hicko, hows your truck goin , hows the chip performing mate :x
mad992

Postby hicko on Sun Sep 13, 2009 5:58 pm

mad992 wrote:hey hicko, hows your truck goin , hows the chip performing mate :x

Absolutely unreal. I have had no problems since I cleaned out the carbon.
You blokes don’t know what you are missing out on.
Saw you at Chancellor park shop on Saturday but by the time I got back you where gone.
I’ll catch up with you one day and you can take my triton for a run.
Remember we do not inherit the earth from our ancestors
We borrow it from our children

My best day at work is still not as good as my worse day fishing
“Aren’t you wishing you were fishing “
hicko

Postby mad992 on Sun Sep 13, 2009 6:21 pm

cheerz mate sounds good ,yeah mines sweet now ive blanked egr at 10k hopefully no probz,shit mate homer reckons if i have a drive of yours i wont wanna get back in mine ,so thats a bad move :x ha ha yeah well catch up 1 sunny sunday for sure ,yeah you busted me at woolies on saturday mate normally im at work on saturday cheerz
mad992

Postby Stu on Sun Sep 13, 2009 6:38 pm

I had my first offroad low range r(f)un today

Pretty much exact same route that I've done a couple of times and I am happy as a pig in shite. Hills where I used to have to drop down to 2nd to get the turbo to spool right up I can now cruise in 4th with boost just sitting on 5/6 psi,
Steep rocky and rutted climbs where I used to have to use 1st because the speed I would have to go in 2nd is too fast can now be idled up in second with acceleration on tap and no bogging down.

The power is everywhere right through the rev range from 1200rpm and makes it much easier to control

I've also got some early fuel consumption figures which are the same as what I had before around 12.6l/100 but alot of the first 1000ks were done with a very heavy right foot so I will let you know
Stu

Postby Stu on Mon Sep 14, 2009 5:28 pm

sierra wrote:
Stu wrote: I think this may still be the carbon issue and the dealer hasn't gone as far as I would have liked in regards to cleaning so I'll follow that up in the next week or so

Stu,
I've never been a great believer in Wynns products but they go into a lot of detail about how to use the stuff that cleans out the carbon gunk with before and after pics and it might work for you or there might be another product that does it better? Sounds worth a go though?

http://www.wynns.net/product_files/Exha ... %20PIS.pdf

Thaks for that link sierra, I've since been trying to find where I can get it from. I've just sent wynns an email after watching this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DhYk3Mm8HQ

if you can't be bothered watching the whole thing just go to 8:50 for the interesting bit
Stu

Postby sierra on Mon Sep 14, 2009 7:47 pm

Stu wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DhYk3Mm8HQ
if you can't be bothered watching the whole thing just go to 8:50 for the interesting bit

So is the lesson there to run it for a while before connecting the hose so it doesn't boost itself to death on the residue?
:? :( :)
sierra

Postby MonsterTriton on Sun Sep 27, 2009 12:33 am

hey gents i am very glad you are all enjoy the great performance.

i also have an update to our product list.

its called the FPC (fuel pressure controller)
it adjust the commonrail pressure---like most piggyback boxes, but we offer
extream tuning availability, you can tune it your self, with a basic screw.
it has three adjustment tuning screws.

the fpc comes with a shim that fits on the pressure relieve valve, which
will avoide excessive commonrail pressure drop by the ecu,
it makes the power curve alot more linear.

THE FPC IS Compatiable with DMS! it gives an extra 20-38HP!!!!! extra and nearly over 100nm extra torque!
surely anyone who is using the dms, and wants to use the fpc will most defentially have a serious v6 killer,
a std 3.2 will produce approx 220-230hp with the fpc, shim, dms piggyback and boostcut with increased turbo boost to 22psi.

absolutly the most powerful option for your engines,
MonsterTriton

Postby MonsterTriton on Sun Sep 27, 2009 12:37 am

btw gents what program are you using to upload pics onto the forum without it
coming out to small to see.
i want to upload several pics of the fpc, the monster kit,
and various dyno results.
MonsterTriton

Postby amalinze on Sun Sep 27, 2009 6:21 am

How much?
amalinze

Postby MonsterTriton on Sun Sep 27, 2009 10:14 am

The FPC and shim costs a very relaxed,
Thai Baht B17,000 about half the cost of the dms piggyback.
Its a real saver.
MonsterTriton

Postby MonsterTriton on Sun Sep 27, 2009 12:46 pm

remember you can also have fun with the FPC,
because you can self tune it.

there are three tuning screws,
1st screw- adjust the commonrail pressure for the low rpm range.
2nd screw- adjust the commonrail pressure for the mid/high rpm range.
3rd screw- is used as a fine tuning tool, it also increases or decreases the commonrail pressure through
the rpm range. (but it is used to fine tune the first and second screw adjustments).

the power of the fpc is distributed,
1st and 2nd screw equates to 80% of power.
whilest the last (3rd screw) equates to only 20% of the power potential of the fpc.
That is why we use it as a fine tune tool, just to make the delivery of the commonrail pressure more smooth and adds slight power to the entire rpm range).

we designed the fpc to send out and reads the signals at the same speed as the ecu, which is at an extreamly fast rate. this allows our FPC to have extreamly good response and direct of the line feel.

the shim (washer) is also vital to fit on the pressure valve, (i have picture guides for the customers) its more of a trade secret, this will reduce the commonrail pressure loss that is bypassed naturally by the ecu,
it will allow the power and torque curve to be also alot more linear.

if you gents have more questions please do ask.

btw the fpc is universal between most commonrail 4 cyl turbo diesels, like the hilux, chevy, isuzu, navara etc.
MonsterTriton

Postby Homer on Sun Sep 27, 2009 2:17 pm

MonsterTriton wrote:btw gents what program are you using to upload pics onto the forum without it
coming out to small to see.
i want to upload several pics of the fpc, the monster kit,
and various dyno results.

http://photobucket.com/

Free site.
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Everything you want to find or know about the Triton - click here
Easy how to search on this site - click here
Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby MonsterTriton on Sun Sep 27, 2009 6:29 pm

Click to view larger picture
measured on fly wheel base, to get wheel hp (-drag from flywheel power = wheel hp)
MonsterTriton

PreviousNext

Return to Electrical