ARB DUAL BATTERY SYSTEM

ARB DUAL BATTERY SYSTEM

Postby steventsegos on Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:37 pm

Hey guys,

Could anyone please tell me if they purchased an ARB dual battery system and had it fitted by ARB?
I would like to know if they are happy with it and if it is trouble free?
They are asking about $1200 fitted, is this reasonable?

Thanks,
Steve
steventsegos

Re: ARB DUAL BATTERY SYSTEM

Postby boycee on Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:42 pm

Geez. that sounds pricey :o what size battery do you get with that.
www.4wdsupplies.com.au
boycee
Platinum Subscriber

Postby greeny03 on Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:52 pm

Gotta agree with Boycee on the price!! A 4wd dealer here in Adelaide believes the ARB is in fact made by Redarc. Now how accurate this is who knows but it doesn't surprise me either!! Reckon I got a quote from ARB for a set up and it was around $900, but nothing special when it came to the battery.
VR Triton
greeny03

Postby steventsegos on Sun Jun 14, 2009 7:15 pm

hey boycee, i didn't go into battery type or size. I was still picking myself up off the floor when i heard the price.

greeny03 i guess i have to shop around some more.
steventsegos

Postby boycee on Sun Jun 14, 2009 7:19 pm

If you are confident enough to install yourself I got my whole system for around $350 from supercheap auto. including an 85ah battery. They are pretty easy to install only two wires. :D
www.4wdsupplies.com.au
boycee
Platinum Subscriber

Postby steventsegos on Sun Jun 14, 2009 7:40 pm

how long did it take boycee? And are you an auto electrician? lol
steventsegos

Postby boycee on Mon Jun 15, 2009 12:48 pm

Only took about 2 hours. :D and i'm no auto electrician the instructions are very straight forward only one wire from battery to isolator then from the isolator to the second battery. and then just use existing screws to earth the unit and battery. easy :D ;).If you aren't keen to give it a go, auto electrician's in sa were going to charge $600ish to supply and install everything. So maybe go to your closest and see what they say. 8-)
www.4wdsupplies.com.au
boycee
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Greedy on Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:16 pm

I would avoid ARB like the plague for dual battery systems. Very much over-priced. A decent isolator like Redarc should set you back about $100-130. Where you place the second battery will determine how much cable you require. If you get it under the bonnet (this option allows up to about 75ah), less cable will be required keeping the costs down. If the second battery is to be mounted in the tub, you can get a much larger battery but will also need heavier guage cable and a lot more of it. This adds up in cost. As Boycee said, they're dead easy to install. Make sure you put fuses (50amp) close to both batteries to protect your cable. For cable size, I would suggest at least 8 guage (13mm2). If you want to set it up for jumpstarting, you'll need heavier cable again (at least 25mm2) and probably have to go circuit breakers of at least 100amp instead of fuses.
Total costs for a system like I'm describing (non-jump start) would be about $200-250 plus cost of the battery. This doesn't include battery trays which are also well over-priced for what they are.
I'd rather have a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal labotomy!

It ain't pretty being easy!!
Greedy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Naff on Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:14 pm

Redarc - ebay $97.
Battery - $120
Cable + Fuses + Lugs - $70

Labour - 3 hours (max)

The redarc comes with the instructions and gives you fuse and cable sizes - if it's within 3m of existing battery, use 19mm2 and 60A fuse and if you use the start feature, 32mm2 and 100A fuse.

If it's further than 3m, use 32mm2 and 60A fuse (start feature 32mm2 and 100A fuse).

Even if you bought all the parts yourself and took it to an auto electricion it should not cost you more than $500.

I'll be doing mine in the next 2 weeks - battery in the tub and redarc in engine bay. Will give you exact cost breakdown if you can wait that long.
Naff
Platinum Subscriber

Postby steventsegos on Mon Jun 15, 2009 8:30 pm

Thanks guys.

I'm glad you all talked me out of the ARB.

I'll wait until you reply NaffX214 please send me step by step of all the problems you come across and a couple of pics if you can.

thanks in advance,

steve.
steventsegos

Postby Naff on Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:24 pm

No worries steve, as i said - will be a couple of weeks, just waiting on a box im getting made up.
Naff
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Mikew on Mon Jun 22, 2009 5:57 pm

Just fitted a Projecta duel battery system, inc TJM duel battery tray $320 (no battery) so $1200 seems a bit expensive you could but a huge battery with the difference.
Took about 1.5 hours and a piece of piss to fit
There's more ways to kill a cat other than shoving strawberries up its arse
Mikew

Return to Electrical