How cold is your Air Con

Re: How cold is your Air Con

Postby snowman on Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:08 am

gregned wrote:.............btw saw you today on my way to fourplay

man they teach that shit down there!!!!????

ok ok enuff of the SA bashing today...... :roll:
This car is like a bad drug habit. It is taking all my money and time, my family are concerned, but new mods just feel sooooooo good.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby amanda on Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:41 pm

gregned wrote:I have air out of mine probably forgot to plug the selector switch btw saw you today on my way to fourplay

Yeah I was wondering if that was you going there :) Had it narrowed down but no pics of your car in your shed to confirm before I put a post on the spottos thread.
amanda
Platinum Subscriber

Postby sam on Tue Oct 12, 2010 3:40 pm

Amanda stop whinging about having to take your car back to mits :roll: you will get used to it and then it becomes a habit :? :? :cry:
sam

Postby Longranger1 on Tue Oct 12, 2010 3:40 pm

We did an interesting comparison one day walking through a hospital car park (about 33 degrees C ambient). Using a Fluke IR thermometer we compared different coloured cars roof temperature.

We found over a 30 degree difference in surface temps. No surprises really, but I would not own a dark metallic painted car in NQ. A shiny white car is by far the coolest temp wise.

What struck me was how hard this must be on the paintwork. I bought a white Triton (Fairy white... Aargh) for this reason alone. Has to make a difference how hard the A/C works though.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they do have some damned good ideas.

If it's feral, it's in peril.

MN turbo lag? What lag??

99% of lawyers give the rest a bad name.
Longranger1
Platinum Subscriber

Postby amanda on Tue Oct 12, 2010 3:45 pm

sam wrote:Amanda stop whinging about having to take your car back to mits :roll: you will get used to it and then it becomes a habit :? :? :cry:

:? I know.. my problems are minor compared to lots of others but we had it back 6 times in the first 6 weeks for stupid little things and this is just another one of those stupid little things. I wouldnt be surprised if they did disconnect something last week and forget to plug it back in, it wouldn't be the first time.
amanda
Platinum Subscriber

Airconditioner cool not cold

Postby obrienn1 on Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:28 pm

Hi all. I have a 2013 MN GLX with ARB bull bar. Noticing that the Aircondioner hasn't been real cold lately. Having to turn it up to 4 and on re circ to get cool. We are only talking about 35 degree heat here.....not our normal NSW outback mid 40's. Anyone else finding that their air con just aint cutting it?
obrienn1

Re: Airconditioner cool not cold

Postby GLRkenny on Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:33 pm

There is a thread somewhere about putting in the condenser fan out of a challenger to help keep it cold, on tapatalk now so can't link to it sorry
GLRkenny

Postby gaspode on Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:35 pm

Here it is.

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=12913

I have this installed in mine, and travel out west and up north. It makes a BIG difference and worth the outlay.
This is the best bad idea I have
gaspode
Platinum Subscriber

Postby GLRkenny on Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:37 pm

Thanks gaspode
GLRkenny

Postby gaspode on Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:39 pm

No worries mate ;)
gaspode
Platinum Subscriber

Postby rodeddy on Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:13 pm

I fitted the thermo fan fan with realy also to aid efficienty AND also fitted insulation around the air cond pipes in the engine bay from where it comes out of the cabin and then passes adjacent the turbo.
I had some cheap foam type insulation lying around which i just used as an experiment to see and it actually melted where it ran past the turbo - this shows how hot this area is and certainly this radiant heat would not be helping the air cond efficiency.
I have now fitted good quality insualtion along this area on both the high and low pressure air cond pipes.
After driving the other day and checking under the insualtion, the pipe was cold.
Most cars usually have these pipes covered in insulation, why mitsubishi chose not to ?
All these little things help.
cheers, Rod :)

GLRkenny wrote:There is a thread somewhere about putting in the condenser fan out of a challenger to help keep it cold, on tapatalk now so can't link to it sorry
rodeddy

Postby GLRkenny on Tue Dec 03, 2013 5:03 am

What type of insulation did you end up using rod?
Any pics?
GLRkenny

Postby rodeddy on Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:25 am

hi,
I used the std pipe insulation i got from a air conditioning guy.. I had to cut it in half and slip over the pipe. Fits nicely.
I was going to clark rubber to get some as the stuff they have seems ok too - as long as its not the really cheap foam type , as seen in the pic...

this is the really cheap foam type that had melted from the radiant heat....
Click to view larger picture

this is another pic of the cheap foam type...

this is the better stuff fitted....

cheers, Rod :D

GLRkenny wrote:What type of insulation did you end up using rod?
Any pics?
rodeddy

Postby GLRkenny on Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:51 pm

Thanks, might look into some
GLRkenny

Postby rodeddy on Tue Dec 03, 2013 5:17 pm

oky doky .... what made me do this is when i noticed that my Prado has all these lines insulated as std.. :D

GLRkenny wrote:Thanks, might look into some
rodeddy

Postby gaspode on Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:06 pm

Just put some tubing over the lines in my bus. Hope it makes as big a difference as the additional AC fan.
gaspode
Platinum Subscriber

Postby NowForThe5th on Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:27 pm

Meh. What you need is a proper fan. Like this:

Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby gaspode on Wed Dec 04, 2013 5:59 am

^^^it's not the size of the fan, but how you use it...
gaspode
Platinum Subscriber

Postby ko7624 on Wed Dec 04, 2013 7:58 am

Just my two cents worth.....

For those of you making comments that your old MK or commodore had colder A/C...yes it would have as older cars used R12(ozone unfriendly) refrig gas that could regularly spit out 3°C. The ML & MN use R134a which is kinder to the environment but is far less efficient as it wont get as cold and runs at higher pressures for the same temp when compared to R12.

Having said that, I find my ML petrol triton doesnt have very good A/C whilst at slower speeds (ie in traffic or at idle) this is because the compressor isnt revving much(low rpm) and also the amount of air flow going through the condensor at front is also minimal until the viscous fan cuts in. To get the coldest air out of your triton I recommend: higher driving revs (2000rpm+), driving at speed(60kmh+), recirc on, low fan speed (1 or 2 max). Driving like this on a warm/hot day for 10 - 15 mins should still yield around 10°C or better depending on outside temp.

For those of you putting extra insulation on the low side(cold) pipes that will definitely help, if your insulation is melting, try aluminium/thermal tape wrap over it or also butyl or black cork tape(gooey sticky insulating tape) to keep the temps down.

The front electric thermo fan would definitely help but I have seen some people install these with the blades facing the wrong way. Depending on their design(curved or straight blades), it may be a better air pusher than puller and some dont like being turned the wrong direction depending on polarity or direction flow) Check install instructions carefully.

Finally, as previously suggested keep your condensor/radiator clean by reverse washing water or compressed air to clear any debris.

Hope this helps,

Cheers,

Ken
ko7624

Postby GLRkenny on Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:50 am

ko7624 wrote:Just my two cents worth.....

For those of you making comments that your old MK or commodore had colder A/C...yes it would have as older cars used R12(ozone unfriendly) refrig gas that could regularly spit out 3°C. The ML & MN use R134a which is kinder to the environment but is far less efficient as it wont get as cold and runs at higher pressures for the same temp when compared to R12.

Having said that, I find my ML petrol triton doesnt have very good A/C whilst at slower speeds (ie in traffic or at idle) this is because the compressor isnt revving much(low rpm) and also the amount of air flow going through the condensor at front is also minimal until the viscous fan cuts in. To get the coldest air out of your triton I recommend: higher driving revs (2000rpm+), driving at speed(60kmh+), recirc on, low fan speed (1 or 2 max). Driving like this on a warm/hot day for 10 - 15 mins should still yield around 10°C or better depending on outside temp.

For those of you putting extra insulation on the low side(cold) pipes that will definitely help, if your insulation is melting, try aluminium/thermal tape wrap over it or also butyl or black cork tape(gooey sticky insulating tape) to keep the temps down.

The front electric thermo fan would definitely help but I have seen some people install these with the blades facing the wrong way. Depending on their design(curved or straight blades), it may be a better air pusher than puller and some dont like being turned the wrong direction depending on polarity or direction flow) Check install instructions carefully.

Finally, as previously suggested keep your condensor/radiator clean by reverse washing water or compressed air to clear any debris.

Hope this helps,

Cheers,

Ken

R134A has been around a long time, at least 10 years, when fitting air con to MK tritons, CE lancers etc we filled them with R134A, as far as commodores go you'd have to go back past VR (1993) or even further to find one with an R12 system, so it's still a fair comparison to say that older cars with r134a have had better air conditioners than new tritons
GLRkenny

Postby rodeddy on Wed Dec 04, 2013 1:09 pm

hi Ken,
re the thermo fan .... i installed the OEM type to suit the Triton... the one Mitsubishi in their wisdom decided not to fit here in australia !... cheers, rod :)

Hope this helps,

Cheers,

Ken
rodeddy

Postby ko7624 on Wed Dec 04, 2013 2:16 pm

Yes I agree that many older cars with R134a have colder air than the Tritons. Its just that the R12 gas was even more efficient.

I also agree MMA should have fitted the extra electric fan to Tritons. Any one want to start up a class action to get a shipping container of fans sent to newtriton hehe.
ko7624

Postby fridgie on Wed Dec 04, 2013 3:45 pm

GLRkenny wrote:

Hope this helps,

Cheers,

Ken

R134A has been around a long time, at least 10 years, when fitting air con to MK tritons, CE lancers etc we filled them with R134A, as far as commodores go you'd have to go back past VR (1993) or even further to find one with an R12 system, so it's still a fair comparison to say that older cars with r134a have had better air conditioners than new tritons

From memory r12 began being phased out about '93 and was no longer available for purchase around '97-'98.

15yrs is a long time to remember how cold the ac was :lol: :lol:

The thermo fan is the biggest, best and most practical solution for our problems, aside from redo-ing the whole system ;)
I'm not so good with the advice :oops: ... Can I interest you in a sarcastic comment??? :twisted:

FORUM DIRECTORY - Click here

SEARCH TUTORIAL - Click here

MY TRITON - SEE IT HERE
fridgie

Postby Longranger1 on Wed Dec 04, 2013 4:02 pm

R12 was about 15-20% more efficient from memory. It could leak like bastard too with a small molecular structure so cars tended to need more attention than they do now using R134A.

It was and still is an ozone depleting gas. R22 will go the same way eventually and there is plenty of not so old A/C units and other stuff using it (not in cars).
The voices in my head may not be real, but they do have some damned good ideas.

If it's feral, it's in peril.

MN turbo lag? What lag??

99% of lawyers give the rest a bad name.
Longranger1
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Bigbirdalx on Wed Dec 04, 2013 4:07 pm

Longranger1 wrote:R12 was about 15-20% more efficient from memory. It could leak like bastard too with a small molecular structure so cars tended to need more attention than they do now using R134A.

It was and still is an ozone depleting gas. R22 will go the same way eventually and there is plenty of not so old A/C units and other stuff using it (not in cars).

R22 is already been phased out. Upto rnd 160/180$ a kg now...
If im posting, im either on the toilet, at work or both
Bigbirdalx

PreviousNext

Return to Electrical