Reverse wiring tapping points?

Reverse wiring tapping points?

Postby Tritium on Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:54 am

Are there any tapping points in the dash for a reverse supply for a display trigger ?
I see many pull a wire back from the reverse light for their additional lights.
User avatar
Tritium
 
Posts: 206
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:11 pm
Location: Latrobe Valley, Victoria.


 

Re: Reverse wiring tapping points?

Postby cyberhonky on Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:14 am

Tritium wrote:Are there any tapping points in the dash for a reverse supply for a display trigger ?
I see many pull a wire back from the reverse light for their additional lights.


yeh- i popped the tail light and tapped it in there (keep it up high) for my camera- never had any problems
Grammar: Lesson 1- Capitalisation.

Capitalisation (n), is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
User avatar
cyberhonky
Platinum Subscriber
 
Posts: 845
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2008 3:00 pm
Location: melbourne, VIC

Re: Reverse wiring tapping points?

Postby MN GLXR on Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:37 am

I also tapped in at the reverse light, but then you need to run the trigger wire all the way up to the front cabin if you want to have a secondary switch :cry:

If you have an auto, you might be able to take a feed from the gear shift illuminated indicator (P R N D)?

I just mounted a Hella LED worklight on the sportsbar and ran a direct switch to the cabin with no relay as it draws only 0.9A :D
User avatar
MN GLXR
 
Posts: 918
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2009 4:02 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Reverse wiring tapping points?

Postby Cowboy Dave on Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:04 pm

maybe this will help?

Click to view larger picture

that's from the L200 so no guarantees the wiring colours will be exactly the same.

now all you have to do is find the actual plugs and stuff, if you can work out what the diagram means!
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
User avatar
Cowboy Dave
Moderator
 
Posts: 18098
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:46 am
Location: Sydney

Re: Reverse wiring tapping points?

Postby Tritium on Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:13 pm

Found it

Click to view larger picture
Click to view larger picture
Click to view larger picture
Click to view larger picture
Click to view larger picture


MY08 ML 3.2Man

Remove passenger side kick plate
Its on the fourth plug down.
Red with green wire only connected on the plug that runs back to the door sill.
Bottom RH corner of the plug when looking at it from the seat when its still plugged in.
The other half of the connector does not have a pin or wire.
Powers up when ignition on and car is put in reverse.
Such is Life.
User avatar
Tritium
 
Posts: 206
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:11 pm
Location: Latrobe Valley, Victoria.

Re: Reverse wiring tapping points?

Postby Cowboy Dave on Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:32 pm

that's a potentially very handy little discovery. why are your photos so small? can't get a good look at what they show. looks like they used to be bigger from the text across the bottom?

how long did it take you to locate it?
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
User avatar
Cowboy Dave
Moderator
 
Posts: 18098
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:46 am
Location: Sydney

Re: Reverse wiring tapping points?

Postby Tritium on Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:18 pm

Such is Life.
User avatar
Tritium
 
Posts: 206
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:11 pm
Location: Latrobe Valley, Victoria.

Re: Reverse wiring tapping points?

Postby 4wd26 on Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:25 pm

MN GLXR wrote:I also tapped in at the reverse light, but then you need to run the trigger wire all the way up to the front cabin if you want to have a secondary switch :cry:

If you have an auto, you might be able to take a feed from the gear shift illuminated indicator (P R N D)?

I just mounted a Hella LED worklight on the sportsbar and ran a direct switch to the cabin with no relay as it draws only 0.9A :D


I have the secondary switch in the rear - just above the reverse light.
Its 3 way-
triggered by reverse, wife dosn't like it when driving in the city, but very handy when camping young kids in unison with the reverse camera..
on and off- very handy. this allows the best of all worlds. Its not often in normal driving I wish I had access to the switch from the cab- maybe the camera helps?
Getting Out There
Sucks to be you, glad I bought a 3.2 :o
User avatar
4wd26
Moderator
 
Posts: 8284
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2007 3:00 pm
Location: Bayside Bundy and Monto

Re: Reverse wiring tapping points?

Postby easyt on Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:31 pm

Tritium wrote:Found it

MY08 ML 3.2Man

Remove passenger side kick plate
Its on the fourth plug down.
Red with green wire only connected on the plug that runs back to the door sill.
Bottom RH corner of the plug when looking at it from the seat when its still plugged in.
The other half of the connector does not have a pin or wire.
Powers up when ignition on and car is put in reverse.


I was just trying to get my reverse camera wired up and was planning on tapping into this wire that you found to switch the monitor on. problem is that my ute doesnt have any wire connected to that pin like yours does.

i have a MY08 GLS Auto.

is there any other place in the cabin that i can get a reverse signal from that anyone knows of??
-
MY08 GLS Auto 3.2DiD
Car PC with 7" touch Screen, Reversing Camera, OBDii interface.
Chip-IT chip
-
User avatar
easyt
 
Posts: 57
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 9:07 pm
Location: Melbourne

Re: Reverse wiring tapping points?

Postby Tritium on Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:57 pm

Yours is an auto so it would more than likely have a different connector plug with possibly different color codes. Try looking at the connector on the auto box and see what colored wires are connected to it. See if you can follow the wiring if it goes to the same spot and try using a multimeter to determine which one signals reverse. I would expect something to feed back to the dash for the R lamp to light up on the dash.

I used a changeover switch for my camera. I used the battery connector to the radio memory as an alternative switched power for the camera. Switch has three positions -Reverse switch activated , camera off, Camera On.
Such is Life.
User avatar
Tritium
 
Posts: 206
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:11 pm
Location: Latrobe Valley, Victoria.

Re: Reverse wiring tapping points?

Postby MLTRIT08 on Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:22 pm

Ok so I finally hooked up my reverse camera today and spent a bit of time trying to find the tap in point for the camera. As mine is an automatic I found the bottom plug as pictuerd above is the go, should be a brown wire in the middle facing towards the body if looking from the seat. Was getting dark at the time so the wire may actually be red but using a test light and activating reverse with the ignition on (car not running :D ) you should find it no problems.
User avatar
MLTRIT08
 
Posts: 658
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:28 pm
Location: Burton, SA

Re: Reverse wiring tapping points?

Postby stillhere69 on Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:58 pm

Nothing Here
User avatar
stillhere69
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:33 pm
Location: Yamanto

Re: Reverse wiring tapping points?

Postby Earlyninja on Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:54 pm

easyt wrote:
Tritium wrote:Found it

MY08 ML 3.2Man

Remove passenger side kick plate
Its on the fourth plug down.
Red with green wire only connected on the plug that runs back to the door sill.
Bottom RH corner of the plug when looking at it from the seat when its still plugged in.
The other half of the connector does not have a pin or wire.
Powers up when ignition on and car is put in reverse.


I was just trying to get my reverse camera wired up and was planning on tapping into this wire that you found to switch the monitor on. problem is that my ute doesnt have any wire connected to that pin like yours does.

i have a MY08 GLS Auto.

is there any other place in the cabin that i can get a reverse signal from that anyone knows of??


I have a 08 ML glx-r 3.2 Man and no such wire exists :?: Not even a connection pin for it. Odd. Guess the only place now is to tap off the passengers rear tail light
User avatar
Earlyninja
 
Posts: 267
Joined: Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:18 pm

Re: Reverse wiring tapping points?

Postby Belbrook on Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:08 am

Bumping this thread for anyone who is waiting to wire an S-drive go pedal thingy.

mine hasnt arrived yet and Im also waiting on an OBD2 double adapter to arrive so I can run ultragauge also.
Not bad for an old bloke
User avatar
Belbrook
 
Posts: 368
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:15 am

Reverse wiring tapping points?

Postby motoz on Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:47 am

Belbrook wrote:Bumping this thread for anyone who is waiting to wire an S-drive go pedal thingy.

mine hasnt arrived yet and Im also waiting on an OBD2 double adapter to arrive so I can run ultragauge also.


Great idea mate. I fitted one yesterday. We have quite a steep driveway and mine lit up the back wheels this morning while reversing out. :shock:

Do you have a link for an OB11 double adapter? I'd like to run the gauge full time also.
One day your life will flash before your eyes. Will it be a good show ???
User avatar
motoz
Platinum Subscriber
 
Posts: 3049
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:23 pm
Location: Adelaide Hills

Reverse wiring tapping points?

Postby Cowboy Dave on Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:58 am

I bought a y splitter for the obd. Will dig up a record if anyone needs it but it was probably an eBay job.

There are alternatives though. Tony removed the pins from the plug and pushed them into the top ie the vehicle side of the obd plug. The other option is to just cut them and find 12 volts elsewhere - like the cigarette lighter.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
User avatar
Cowboy Dave
Moderator
 
Posts: 18098
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:46 am
Location: Sydney

Reverse wiring tapping points?

Postby irwazza on Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:59 am

Type this item number in eBay search : 110873481893
A cheaper method would be to just tap the power wires into something that runs off ignition like the cigarette lighter.
User avatar
irwazza
 
Posts: 612
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:07 pm

Re: Reverse wiring tapping points?

Postby Belbrook on Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:04 am

this is the one I bought
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/110873481893 ... 1497.l2649
it was $10.99
got pipped at the post . same as above
Not bad for an old bloke
User avatar
Belbrook
 
Posts: 368
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:15 am

Re: Reverse wiring tapping points?

Postby Silvermoose on Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:43 am

Just installed a reversing camera on a 2012 MN (manual). Big thanks to Tritium who saved me hours of trying to find the reverse wire.
For those of your who may be interested in doing this, the wire is still Red/Green in the 4th block down as per the pics above but is no longer the last wire in that block.
User avatar
Silvermoose
 
Posts: 9
Joined: Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:38 pm

Re: Reverse wiring tapping points?

Postby wickee on Sat Nov 23, 2013 9:12 am

Hi All,

I just bought my first ute and it's a Triton MN MY14 2013 GLXR.

Obviously never have driven a ute before so still taking some time to get used to the ridiculous amount of space required when reversing.

I bought a wireless reversing camera off eBay and was wondering whether anyone has any experience with the install.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/New-5-inch-Car-GPS-Blutetooth-Wireless-Reverse-Camera-AU-Seller-POI-Speed-Cam-/120896846700?pt=AU_Electronics_GPS&hash=item1c26037b6c&_uhb=1

I'm not to sure about the tapping points onto the reverse lights. Any pointers would be appreciated (especially pictures).

Cheers,
Ricky
wickee
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Sat Nov 02, 2013 9:11 am

Re: Reverse wiring tapping points?

Postby NowForThe5th on Sat Nov 23, 2013 10:27 am

Um, did you read the posts above? Pictures, wiring diagrams?
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
User avatar
NowForThe5th
Moderator
 
Posts: 8729
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2008 2:00 pm
Location: Holt, ACT

Re: Reverse wiring tapping points?

Postby wickee on Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:45 pm

Yes I have but I thought it was as simple as tapping in the reverse light wire in the tail light.

I don't understand why people are tapping it in the front...
wickee
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Sat Nov 02, 2013 9:11 am

Re: Reverse wiring tapping points?

Postby Cowboy Dave on Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:51 pm

It depends on the camera but often the reverse trigger is just to activate the screen so it is easier to trigger it in the passenger footwell than it is to run a cable all the way down the chassis rail from the rear lights. Also it means you don't have to go creating a joint in a spot that is subject to water and dust etc.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
User avatar
Cowboy Dave
Moderator
 
Posts: 18098
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:46 am
Location: Sydney

Re: Reverse wiring tapping points?

Postby wickee on Thu Nov 28, 2013 3:06 pm

Cowboy Dave wrote:It depends on the camera but often the reverse trigger is just to activate the screen so it is easier to trigger it in the passenger footwell than it is to run a cable all the way down the chassis rail from the rear lights. Also it means you don't have to go creating a joint in a spot that is subject to water and dust etc.


Ah ok fair enough.

Do most people run a wired reversing camera? The one I ordered is wireless. I'm just worried it will only work intermittently...
wickee
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Sat Nov 02, 2013 9:11 am

Re: Reverse wiring tapping points?

Postby oldplodder on Thu Nov 28, 2013 3:35 pm

Run a wired reversing camera.
The screen auto senses power on the input video line and comes on.
Rear camera is powered off the reverse pin of the trailer plug, easiest place to get to at the rear.

John C
oldplodder
Platinum Subscriber
 
Posts: 199
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:17 am

Next

Return to Electrical

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest