ChipIt & Steinbauer Discussion

Re: 2.5HP Intermittent loss of power/limp/smoke

Postby Steane on Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:01 pm

jop wrote:I'm going to get some popcorn :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Vanilla choc top for me. I've just settled into an excellent isle seat up in the back row... :D

Was going to get some chips but the little guy behind the counter got a big agro when I went for the cheaper tastier ones... :shock:
Steane
Platinum Subscriber

Postby jop on Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:03 pm

:lol: :lol:
jop

Postby ironhide on Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:10 pm

NaffX214 wrote:Get some for me jop! :lol:

Why exactly do you 'think' the Chip it contributes to problems? Based on what pearls of wisdom?

Is it just because your Steinbauer doesn't have problems, which means all Steinbauers won't have problems?

Think of that little statistics point before you answer this..

What, ONE problem, and that probally wasnt the modules fault, Who knows at this stage! And from my reading on this site their is three happy guys with steinbauers that have said so. :D
ironhide

Postby ironhide on Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:13 pm

Steane wrote:
jop wrote:I'm going to get some popcorn :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Vanilla choc top for me. I've just settled into an excellent isle seat up in the back row... :D

Was going to get some chips but the little guy behind the counter got a big agro when I went for the cheaper tastier ones... :shock:

oh great, where can i still get one of them cheaper tastier ones! $ 1299 now i do believe. :D
ironhide

Postby ironhide on Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:14 pm

Hornet75 wrote:Any update on the original issue?

And whats the supprise from your tech mate??

Yes please, Can we get back to the original debate. Is their any updates?
ironhide

Postby jop on Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:15 pm

$1299?
jop

Postby ironhide on Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:24 pm

jop wrote:$1299?

Report this postReply with quotePRICE INCREASE AS ON MONDAY 20 SEPT.
by CHIP IT on Thu Sep 16, 2010 3:01 pm

As we are constanly making the Performance Module faster and better, and improving the harnesses with loop back bridges and weather proof plugs plus paying for the MAP Sensor plug mould etc we have decided to raise the price of the basic Chip to $899.00

We also have the option of EGT controlled re-mapping which is again a feature new to the market.

Total for Chip and EGT controller with in cabin display is $1299.00
ironhide

Postby jop on Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:28 pm

So i'm reading $899, some $400 below your figure
jop

Postby sam on Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:36 pm

Ahhhh... statitics and figures you can manipulate them any way you like can't ya... :lol: :lol:
sam

Postby gregned on Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:35 pm

ironhide wrote: And yes the steinbauer module will slow the signal down as it processes the info, but so do all the modules! What the!

Ok Say on acceleration propagation delay is 5 ms you would be getting 5 ms delay on every injection cycle on every cylinder.
I would be getting 5ms on the pump and thats it.
ironhide wrote:I also believe that the steinbauer actually places fuel in earlier in some parts of the cycle, thats why they inprove the response down low in the rev range, so its not just at the end of the combustion cycle. Oh, and yes, a sensor pics up what the motor is reporting or doing, and sends it to the ecu I believe. :D

Sorry did you just say preemptive injection timing? Not without moving the opto on the crank.
from SB website
Real Timing
– the actual beginning and end of injection timing - is not achieved by any "chip" available for diesel engines today. It's misleading to suggest so. With Steinbauer, duration is achieved by adding pulse width to a signal, i.e. at end of injection. This is not changing timing. That's best left to the factory ECU
Hills maketh the man
Why do you have to ride today? Because getting fat never takes holidays
gregned

Postby CHIP IT on Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:03 pm

A couple of testimonials

Steve, the Owner of RACE TORQUE ENGINEERING in Wanagara WA (a professional Ralli Art Race car driver) is heavily involved in the industry. As one would expect he is often away during the season

He used to run Steinbayer on his 200 Series Toyota, The system cost him $3000.00 due to requiring 2 units for his V8. Steve was unhappy overall with the their product and after witnessing the NS Pajero comparo Chip It Vs Spider Chip (ran on his Dyno facility) wanted to trial ours, He was given a 7 day trial on our Performance Module to test before he was required to purchase. Steve's own words are that ihe is much happier with the performance & fuel economy of the Chip It Module over Steinbayer & has since disconnected the Steinbayer system. http://www.racetorque.com.au/

Graham Dunjey of BlackStump Camper Trailers also had a Rapid Chip (installed by United Fuel Injection in Rivervale Perth) & was unhappy with the performance & excessive black smoke for the power he was needed to achieve. Graham was invited to come & test our Chip after he contacted us at Clarkson. He immediately felt the difference with the increased power & NO black smoke issues. Graham also took advantage of the Boost/Map feature (unique to Chip It) & we installed a manual boost controller & now he runs 20psi boost.

Graham has also has a positive response with his fuel economy.

Lastly, take a look at the dyno chart that shows a injector style interceptor compared to our Chip. We acheive same performance at 1/3 less fuel. Why would a customer want a injector style at these ratios?

I know ... BECAUSE THEY DON'T KNOW ABOUT OURS.

http://chipit.com.au/chipped_vehicles/m ... /ml-triton
CHIP IT
Diesel Performance Solutions from SPV Industries (An authorised dealer)
-power when you need it-

Web: http://www.chipit.com.au

For forum discounts, please contact tony@spvindustries.com or PM Chipit
CHIP IT

Postby CHIP IT on Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:04 pm

A couple of testimonials

Steve, the Owner of RACE TORQUE ENGINEERING in Wanagara WA (a professional Ralli Art Race car driver) is heavily involved in the industry. As one would expect he is often away during the season

He used to run Steinbayer on his 200 Series Toyota, The system cost him $3000.00 due to requiring 2 units for his V8. Steve was unhappy overall with the their product and after witnessing the NS Pajero comparo Chip It Vs Spider Chip (ran on his Dyno facility) wanted to trial ours, He was given a 7 day trial on our Performance Module to test before he was required to purchase. Steve's own words are that ihe is much happier with the performance & fuel economy of the Chip It Module over Steinbayer & has since disconnected the Steinbayer system. http://www.racetorque.com.au/

Graham Dunjey of BlackStump Camper Trailers also had a Rapid Chip (installed by United Fuel Injection in Rivervale Perth) & was unhappy with the performance & excessive black smoke for the power he was needed to achieve. Graham was invited to come & test our Chip after he contacted us at Clarkson. He immediately felt the difference with the increased power & NO black smoke issues. Graham also took advantage of the Boost/Map feature (unique to Chip It) & we installed a manual boost controller & now he runs 20psi boost.

Graham has also has a positive response with his fuel economy.

Lastly, take a look at the dyno chart that shows a injector style interceptor compared to our Chip. http://chipit.com.au/chipped_vehicles/mitsubishi/triton/ml-triton We acheive same performance at 1/3 less fuel. Why would a customer want a injector style at these ratios?

I know ... BECAUSE THEY DON'T KNOW ABOUT OURS.
CHIP IT
-power when you need it-

CHIP IT

Postby CHIP IT on Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:12 pm

Guys if you ever get some BS about our Chip please let us know ... People that know Justin and I know we are no BS type of guys and are happy to lift the lid on the spin you get from the industry.

And for the record, we could have developed a steinbayer type of chip but when we looked into ALL methods of performance increase of diesels, the only way was the type of chip we bought out.

There is SOME merit on acting on injectors but it is VERY VERY MARGINAL

And think about pricing... who would like to pay $3000.00 for a chip for a V8 ... how crazy is that? No wonder we sell lots of 200 series chips.
Last edited by CHIP IT on Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
CHIP IT
-power when you need it-

CHIP IT

Postby CHIP IT on Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:13 pm

gregned wrote:
ironhide wrote: And yes the steinbauer module will slow the signal down as it processes the info, but so do all the modules! What the!

Ok Say on acceleration propagation delay is 5 ms you would be getting 5 ms delay on every injection cycle on every cylinder.
I would be getting 5ms on the pump and thats it.
ironhide wrote:I also believe that the steinbauer actually places fuel in earlier in some parts of the cycle, thats why they inprove the response down low in the rev range, so its not just at the end of the combustion cycle. Oh, and yes, a sensor pics up what the motor is reporting or doing, and sends it to the ecu I believe. :D

Sorry did you just say preemptive injection timing? Not without moving the opto on the crank.
from SB website
Real Timing
– the actual beginning and end of injection timing - is not achieved by any "chip" available for diesel engines today. It's misleading to suggest so. With Steinbauer, duration is achieved by adding pulse width to a signal, i.e. at end of injection. This is not changing timing. That's best left to the factory ECU

100% gregned
CHIP IT
-power when you need it-

CHIP IT

Postby daryn on Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:35 pm

Moving all relevant posts from http://www.newtriton.net/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=6099 into a more suited thread title.

Continue discussion here guys as it is going elsewhere, if you are specifically helping Tony go for it in the original thread above.
daryn
Valued Contributor

Re: ChipIt & Steinbauer Discussion

Postby Quinny on Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:51 pm

Daryn... move it to a new thread called ...

BUY A V6 you big handbag carrying girls 8-)
Never argue with an idiot ... they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ...
Quinny
Platinum Subscriber

Postby al coholic on Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:55 pm

Quinny67 wrote:Daryn... move it to a new thread called ...

Geez youre going to be embarressed next time a chipped turbo diesel 4cyl 3.2L Triton blows away your meezly V6 petrol from the lights Quinny :oops: :lol: :lol: Very very embarrissing :oops: :oops:
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything important, it's too late to stop reading it.
al coholic

Postby daryn on Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:05 pm

Hang on, I'm staying out of this discussion and then you go and say that quinny, no girly truck here just FULL NOISE.
daryn
Valued Contributor

Postby CHIP IT on Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:38 pm

BTW, Re the $1599 steinbauer 10 second MAX power system.

Our TOP OF THE LINE Chip with Full EGT controlled mapping is only $1299.00 8-)

This means that you don't just get 10 seconds of full throttle and then have it taken away ... like steinbauer ... but it allows you to keep the power AT MAX UNTIL and IF there is a need to reduce it because the EGT's climb to the preset safety zone.

Justin's 770 NM 3.2 Triton EGTs climb to a WHOPPING 430 deg Cel. :roll:

So, by steinbayer's "feature" he would only be able to use MAX power for 10 seconds :shock:

With our system, he would be able to keep that full noise setting for ever in a day without the need to have his power cut. :lol:

Don't just listen to the BS Ironside ... you have just been lead to believe the BS about the Steinbayer product and its the reason we came onto the market in the first place ... ie so much BS out there.
CHIP IT
-power when you need it-

CHIP IT

Postby Quinny on Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:43 pm

Edit that - should be talking SH!T
Never argue with an idiot ... they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ...
Quinny
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Fnordy on Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:53 pm

It would seem that the only real Aussie way to settle this is to have a drag race - chip it versus steinbauer... with witnesses, beer and popcorn (but NO MILK - that would be totally UN-australian)...

First one to do 1000m wins. Probably need a stock standard Triton

Way better than a dyno thing - I mean WHO trusts those anyway... a race track is way more scientific.

Perhaps we could do one in every state culimating in a grand final somewhere other than the MCG...

Worth considering...

PS - very happy with my chip it, egr plate and catch can that justin installed the other day but not at all biased.

PPS - was reading one of the car mag articles about chips and espousing the pro's and con's of pre versus post ECU. some compelling arguments for each, but they were advocating safety advantages of Pre in that the ECU still made decisions and had final say based on the entirity of information it is processing.

PPPS - no flavoured milk either - just beer!
Fnordy

MY10 GLX-R Manual Diesel (loads of mods - see shed)
MY09 200 Series VX Landcruiser (stock standard with Poly Airbags & UHF)

MY09 Giant TCR-Advanced 1
MY10 Specialized Epic Expert Carbon
Fnordy

Postby borngeek on Tue Sep 21, 2010 5:29 am

:lol: Well all you back seaters with pop corn, choc tops and beer enjoy as I think its a worthy discussion. :ugeek:

I have further questions relating to firstly heat and second the MN turbo.

Steinbauer build this 10 second detune thing in as std. ChipIT has not. So if I were to 'upgrade' my DPS215 to enable this similar idea but more advanced 'feature' what would it cost? Do I have to pay to expand from 2 channels to 4 as well as pay for the probe and display gear.. a different loom.. and then install it all.. Installing a EGT probe requires some skills.. So theres a bit of $ to spend on install too..

My temps (coolant) get VERY high under big loads.. (range from 77-109degrees :shock: ) - the chip is causing this as it did not happen before the chip and I have disabled to confirm this. I wont be upping my boost till I have a EGT guage.

Will you guys supply extra 'detuned' tunes? The ones supplied dont really range up and down the scale in terms of power.. They are mainly aimed at diff setups (auto, manual, exhaust, blanks etc). We can pony up for "PRO" software to do ourselves ($880 extra).. or book a custom tuning session at $x/hour. Can i bring my trailer, go 4wding, go for a run on the hightway and a run thru the city in this time to create a tune for each scenario easily? (and a 'detune' for each..)

I realise Steinbauer doesnt give this much customisation at all, I think the discussion can show the differences so people can make a decision based on budget, power requirements, features etc.

Variable turbo.. What is chipIT doing to the MN turbo boost (increase by how much). Is it bad practice as suggested by ironhide?
Are the MN's engines having more issues with the chipIT relative to the ML??

Although the steinbauer only increases power up to 20% vs chipIT up to 40% (claimed by both parties) both are pretty impressive performance gains in fact. Possibly 20% would suit some people.? Especially if they dont have to install EGT probes, cut MAP wires, pony up $$ on channel upgrades and installation and the like to get all the features working..

cheers, BG :ugeek:

EDIT: sorry.. and can you run the steinbauer without the throttle position thing? does it require a cut.. I assume this mean the Sprint Booster wont work either (dealbreaker for me :mrgreen: )

//Thanks for the cleanup Daryn :D
Don't be a tool, use this: FORUM DIRECTORY

Did you search first?

FL/LSD FTW

Sucks to be you, glad I bought a 3.2 :lol:
borngeek
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Homer on Tue Sep 21, 2010 5:56 am

^^^best post on the entire thread here BG...except for this one:

Ohh..and this one:

Quinny67 wrote:Edit that - should be talking SH!T

Still an intelligent unbiased post though ;)
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Everything you want to find or know about the Triton - click here
Easy how to search on this site - click here
Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby al coholic on Tue Sep 21, 2010 6:34 am

Homer wrote:^^^best post on the entire thread here BG...except for this one:

How are your performance mods coming along there Homer???? Happy still with being beaten by 4cyl oilers are ya???? :twisted: :lol: :lol:
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything important, it's too late to stop reading it.
al coholic

Postby Joe on Tue Sep 21, 2010 6:34 am

Yeah, you got that right Homer. I still can't see through all the BS though :?

All I know is I have a Chip-It and I'm happy and I would no doubt be just as happy with a Steinbauer :)
Dad
----
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.
Joe

PreviousNext

Return to Electrical