ChipIt & Steinbauer Discussion

ChipIt & Steinbauer Discussion

Postby ironhide on Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:34 am

Sorry guys, I dont mean to be rude, but are you very slow or to stubborn to look outside of the window and do some research! All your problems come from the chip it system. Ask anyone who knows a little about the mitsubishi motors and will also confirm what I have previously said. Our motors have many sensors built in to pick up any problems that may occur, to prevent any damage. Other vechile or models may work differently, I dont know. Some of the mitsubishi sensors are: Sensors in the turbo that pick up over heating and boost pressure, pressure sensor in the fuel common rail, intake and exhaust pressure, and oxygen sensors, plus, plus, plus!!! Due to the way chip it alters the system, it pretty much stuffs up all of these sensors eventually. So after all the problems you are having, does it at least click in your mind that maybee it's the problem and not mitsubishi that you keep trying to blame??? The DP chip system is even worse. :oops: Thats why I chose the steinbauer module as it is tuned not to alter and affect these sensors. The extra $ 400 doesnt seam like much difference in your pocket now does it??? get over the problems and upgrade boys. My steinbauer has never missed a beat or thrown any problems, just hauls arse away from the rest. :lol:
ironhide

Re: 2.5HP Intermittent loss of power/limp/smoke

Postby patrolus on Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:15 pm

i kinda agree with ironhide on this one.
sorry guys. :shock:
but it really looks like the whole forum is very keen on chip it modules and just don't want to admit that they seem to cause trouble for SOME of the users.
if u read all the posts, firsteverybody is happy with it and its the best thing since moses rolled the stone wheel down the mountain, but slowly there is a growing no of troubled users ....
would be interesting to see how many have it, how many k's done , what sort of probs , and put it into a ratio??
just my 2 c worth... ;)
patrolus

Postby Tony on Fri Sep 10, 2010 5:20 pm

Chip is now behind the dunny door. ;) With all the other useless gadgets. ;)
Tony
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Naff on Wed Sep 15, 2010 4:30 pm

ironhide wrote:Sorry guys, I dont mean to be rude, but are you very slow or to stubborn to look outside of the window and do some research! All your problems come from the chip it system. Ask anyone who knows a little about the mitsubishi motors and will also confirm what I have previously said. Our motors have many sensors built in to pick up any problems that may occur, to prevent any damage. Other vechile or models may work differently, I dont know. Some of the mitsubishi sensors are: Sensors in the turbo that pick up over heating and boost pressure, pressure sensor in the fuel common rail, intake and exhaust pressure, and oxygen sensors, plus, plus, plus!!! Due to the way chip it alters the system, it pretty much stuffs up all of these sensors eventually. So after all the problems you are having, does it at least click in your mind that maybee it's the problem and not mitsubishi that you keep trying to blame??? The DP chip system is even worse. :oops: Thats why I chose the steinbauer module as it is tuned not to alter and affect these sensors. The extra $ 400 doesnt seam like much difference in your pocket now does it??? get over the problems and upgrade boys. My steinbauer has never missed a beat or thrown any problems, just hauls arse away from the rest. :lol:

Sorry to burst your bubble chief, the Steinbauer does the same as the Chip It. It reads from sensors, passes them through the chip where they are amplified and passes them to the ECU. No chips actually physically affect any sensors. And to rub salt in the wound, we had an MN with a Steinbauer throw a limpy on the weekend meetup. Was it due to the Steinbauer? Who knows? All Steinbauer does is alter more readings, for what effect, again who knows.

I've said it elsewhere, these chips, any brand, are highlighting inherent errors in the engine, likely bringing them to the surface earlier than if the chips weren't installed.
Naff
Platinum Subscriber

Postby ironhide on Wed Sep 15, 2010 6:30 pm

NaffX214 wrote:
ironhide wrote:Sorry guys, I dont mean to be rude, but are you very slow or to stubborn to look outside of the window and do some research! All your problems come from the chip it system. Ask anyone who knows a little about the mitsubishi motors and will also confirm what I have previously said. Our motors have many sensors built in to pick up any problems that may occur, to prevent any damage. Other vechile or models may work differently, I dont know. Some of the mitsubishi sensors are: Sensors in the turbo that pick up over heating and boost pressure, pressure sensor in the fuel common rail, intake and exhaust pressure, and oxygen sensors, plus, plus, plus!!! Due to the way chip it alters the system, it pretty much stuffs up all of these sensors eventually. So after all the problems you are having, does it at least click in your mind that maybee it's the problem and not mitsubishi that you keep trying to blame??? The DP chip system is even worse. :oops: Thats why I chose the steinbauer module as it is tuned not to alter and affect these sensors. The extra $ 400 doesnt seam like much difference in your pocket now does it??? get over the problems and upgrade boys. My steinbauer has never missed a beat or thrown any problems, just hauls arse away from the rest. :lol:

Sorry to burst your bubble chief, the Steinbauer does the same as the Chip It. It reads from sensors, passes them through the chip where they are amplified and passes them to the ECU. No chips actually physically affect any sensors. And to rub salt in the wound, we had an MN with a Steinbauer throw a limpy on the weekend meetup. Was it due to the Steinbauer? Who knows? All Steinbauer does is alter more readings, for what effect, again who knows.

I've said it elsewhere, these chips, any brand, are highlighting inherent errors in the engine, likely bringing them to the surface earlier than if the chips weren't installed.

Sorry to burst your Bubble Nathan, but where did you get your info from??? kellogs packet! The steinbauer and chip it modules work completely different. The Chip module connects prior to the ecu, smudging the signals taken from the sensors, then placing a ghost signal back to the injector and other devices, making the motor increase fuel pressure and turbo boost etc. :o The Steinbauer module is placed after the ECU and plugs into each injector seperately and with only those signals and a throttle position sensor, it recalulates the timing and lenth of blast of fuel into each injector, placing no added pressure on the motor! :D Simply making that motor work to its best efficiency. Thats why steinbauer vechiles usally blow very little smoke.

If a MN threw a limp with a steinbauer, it would most probally be because of another problem, usually in the like of a dirty sensor, or as simple as a dirty air filter.
ironhide

Postby Naff on Wed Sep 15, 2010 6:39 pm

Right so.. both chips 'recalculate' and the result is more fuel. Whether it's before or after the ECU, is there more fuel being calculated with the addition of the chip or not? In which case, the motor does more 'work' or as you put it 'added pressure'.
Naff
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Fnordy on Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:01 pm

In an effort to clarify (I among others are sitting on the sidelines waiting for some answers before purchasing) I have a few questions....

1) Who was it that went into limp mode with a Steinbauer (is he on this forum, can we find out why?)

2) What is the extent of surging / limp mode for MN's that have NEVER had a chip or blanking plate (is there a correlation)?

I know there are Mits service guys who are on this forum just as their are chip manufacturers and resellers (some obvious, some possibly not so open?) Maybe some solid information would help get to a solution. I agree that there are now sufficient cases to be able to get some patterns and diagnostic information.

You raise some interesting and informed points Ironhide. I don't have the knowledge to support / disprove but if the different chips do sit pre/post then there is a chance we will be experiencing some differences in symptops (or even different codes?)

What do we know and what can we prove would seem to be more important with regard to getting an outcome yes?

Fnordy
Fnordy

MY10 GLX-R Manual Diesel (loads of mods - see shed)
MY09 200 Series VX Landcruiser (stock standard with Poly Airbags & UHF)

MY09 Giant TCR-Advanced 1
MY10 Specialized Epic Expert Carbon
Fnordy

Postby Tony on Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:03 pm

Plenty of MN's having issues with no chip. ;) Even a few in this small forum.

I happen to know a master Tech, and from what he has told me we may be in for a little surprise soon.
I'll leave the chip debate alone till I know more facts. ;)
Tony
Platinum Subscriber

Postby ironhide on Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:50 am

All i was pointing out is the difference between how the modules work, and that the steinbauer seems to be a lot safer and with no problems that any one can clearly show. ;) I thought this is a forum site right? so Im putting my views and knowledge accross so others can make their own decision, and not a mistake :x . Around the country area where i live,( and utes are the most common vechile on the road here), in alll the different makes of utes, be it triton, hilux, BT50, navara,or colarado, no one has ever complained of any problems with thier steinbauer, and no one has ever had a fault with a standard mn, ( I have spoke to my service agent) but there Is a LOT of problems with these other makes of modules. Maybee there is a prob that the odd standard motors have, but in moduled (chiped) vechiles, I think the steinbauer shows very little or no problems :D . Again it doesnt change the standerd ecu's way of thinking like the others. Another good module is the P-Tronic, but you have to order it into australia and deal with customs etc. Check it out on the web as it works the same as the steinbauer! Not like these other makes here in australia.
ironhide

Postby ironhide on Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:00 pm

NaffX214 wrote:Right so.. both chips 'recalculate' and the result is more fuel. Whether it's before or after the ECU, is there more fuel being calculated with the addition of the chip or not? In which case, the motor does more 'work' or as you put it 'added pressure'.

Yes both have a simular outcome, but listen, the steinbauer only changes the timing and lenth of blast of fuel into the injectors after the ecu has sent the signal, :D but these others increase the commonrail fuel pressure and some times turbo boost by smudgeing the signals to and from the ecu. :cry: Thus the steinbauer only adds fuel to the situation,( no real problem), but other modules put added pressure!!! on parts of the motor and thats where the sensors start sending codes to the ecu, and BAM, limp!!! The added fuel is not the problem.Thats all that i have researced and figured out.
ironhide

Postby Naff on Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:29 pm

ironhide wrote:All i was pointing out is the difference between how the modules work, and that the steinbauer seems to be a lot safer and with no problems that any one can clearly show. ;) I thought this is a forum site right? so Im putting my views and knowledge accross so others can make their own decision, and not a mistake :x .

That's fine - but you can't go around calling people stubbon or tight-arsed without backing yourself with factual data.

My chip only plugs into the fuel rail. So as far as I'm aware, only the fuel is being altered. I haven't opted to connect the MAP sensor or do the boost option. I haven't had any issues. Just like you have not had issues with your Steinbauer. So there's no argument, if it were between just you and me. I got a chip at half (probably a third) the price of you and we both get the same results.

Now if Steinbauers were installed in as many Tritons as the Chip Its, and only those with Chip Its were having problems, then your argument is quantitive. If there are 20 tritons with Chip Its and 3 are having problems, and there are 2 tritons with Steinbauers and 1 has experienced a problem, what are the better odds? We are talking Tritons here, not utes in the outback. To have a proper argument, the statistics have to be equal.

It's not about being 'tight' either. If you can get an equal product for less, you are being financially smart. Has anybody proved, without a doubt, that the chips are causing problems? If you unplugged a chip and the problem goes away, what are you proving? You are proving the car can run without problem at a lower standard. A lot of people have unplugged the chip and found that the problem still occurs.
Naff
Platinum Subscriber

Postby 4wd26 on Thu Sep 16, 2010 3:15 pm

A lot of people had problems before chips or ERG blocking became common.

KM's are starting to clock up on both the ML and MN engines- I'm sure we will hear about problems with standard engines in the MN soon enough.

my 2cents.

BTW- what does the "master tech" have to say- whats the surprise....?
Getting Out There
Sucks to be you, glad I bought a 3.2 :o
4wd26

Postby chick_magnet_0001 on Thu Sep 16, 2010 3:22 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: feel like hitting your head against a brick wall naff :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: ill keep out of this and just laugh from afar
COME ON FULL NOISE!!!!
Recovered:
Jop at scenic rim
Homer at janowen Hills
Homer at janowen Hills (3mins later)
Recovered
by fridgie 4wd Training Day... "shakes head" i woulda made it
chick_magnet_0001

Postby ironhide on Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:12 pm

NaffX214 wrote:
ironhide wrote:All i was pointing out is the difference between how the modules work, and that the steinbauer seems to be a lot safer and with no problems that any one can clearly show. ;) I thought this is a forum site right? so Im putting my views and knowledge accross so others can make their own decision, and not a mistake :x .

That's fine - but you can't go around calling people stubbon or tight-arsed without backing yourself with factual data.

My chip only plugs into the fuel rail. So as far as I'm aware, only the fuel is being altered. I haven't opted to connect the MAP sensor or do the boost option. I haven't had any issues. Just like you have not had issues with your Steinbauer. So there's no argument, if it were between just you and me. I got a chip at half (probably a third) the price of you and we both get the same results.

Now if Steinbauers were installed in as many Tritons as the Chip Its, and only those with Chip Its were having problems, then your argument is quantitive. If there are 20 tritons with Chip Its and 3 are having problems, and there are 2 tritons with Steinbauers and 1 has experienced a problem, what are the better odds? We are talking Tritons here, not utes in the outback. To have a proper argument, the statistics have to be equal.

It's not about being 'tight' either. If you can get an equal product for less, you are being financially smart. Has anybody proved, without a doubt, that the chips are causing problems? If you unplugged a chip and the problem goes away, what are you proving? You are proving the car can run without problem at a lower standard. A lot of people have unplugged the chip and found that the problem still occurs.

I would just like to know how much you guys have really paid$?? Mine was $1280 installed, and thats buy a expert who installs them everyday. I guess you took the tight way and ordered it over the net or over the phone, and frigged with it installing it yourself! So compare a installed apple with another installed apple please! So who has the back up when things go wrong? I was quotted nearly $1000 for a installed chip it system. Not much less. Plus, I would really like to hear from the guy with the mn who has had the prob with the steinbauer! I would say he is a fictional character in a chip it 's head. :roll: get your own facts right first mate. As for a comparision in performance, bring it on, show me some real data on what you can do, not imagine what you can do! if you havnt connected all of the extras on yours, my guess is you will be back near the hilux on the quater mile run, and thats about 5 lengths back :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: I've checked mine out and really happy to be a lot further in front. I'm done arguing with you, I think your the one banging your head against the brick wall!!! :roll:
ironhide

Postby Tony on Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:32 pm

ironhide wrote:
NaffX214 wrote:

I would just like to know how much you guys have really paid$?? Mine was $1280 installed, and thats buy a expert who installs them everyday. I guess you took the tight way and ordered it over the net or over the phone, and frigged with it installing it yourself! So compare a installed apple with another installed apple please! So who has the back up when things go wrong? I was quotted nearly $1000 for a installed chip it system. Not much less. Plus, I would really like to hear from the guy with the mn who has had the prob with the steinbauer! I would say he is a fictional character in a chip it 's head. :roll: get your own facts right first mate. As for a comparision in performance, bring it on, show me some real data on what you can do, not imagine what you can do! if you havnt connected all of the extras on yours, my guess is you will be back near the hilux on the quater mile run, and thats about 5 lengths back :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: I've checked mine out and really happy to be a lot further in front. I'm done arguing with you, I think your the one banging your head against the brick wall!!! :roll:

You criticism is most welcome, as are factual input. You have excelled in this part.

I do hope your a very strong and healthy young lad. :lol: I also hope you fall on your arse soon. ;)

I have dumbed this down till now... Just remember, this is only the interweb... Face to face you may like to be a little more reserved in how the chain of thoughts come out. I'm very easy going but do find your approach slightly annoying. Good advise is....Never annoy a Cowboy ;)
Don't rubbish a product you know little about. All hear say in your case. FYI, my trouble has nothing to do with the chip anyway ;)

Have a nice day ;)
Last edited by Tony on Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tony
Platinum Subscriber

Postby jop on Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:32 pm

:lol:
:lol:
jop

Postby Tony on Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:41 pm

^^^^ ;) ;) ;) :lol: :lol: Lighten up boys. :D
Tony
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Cowboy Dave on Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:44 pm

I spoke to the 'fictional' character about his CEL lights last weekend. I don't want to out him but let's just say he's from up north. I've not heard about what the diagnosis is on his truck but it was the first Steinbauer equipped vehicle I'd heard of with a problem.

As another interested sideline sitting person who has yet to decide I need a chip etc I can see that you both have good points. I don't think there's much doubting that of late a few MN owners have had dramas with the ChipIt product. I think it's probably too early to be confident as to the real cause of these problems whether it be the chip, or the chip exposing an underlying problem or whatever. I also think that perhaps there's not enough guys on here with the Steinbauer to be confident that it will be 100% trouble free, especially if the occasional stock engine starts throwing codes.

I'm sure much of what you say is well meant Ironhide but I suspect that the derisory tone you've adopted has riled people more than was necessary. It's good to see you're happy with the choices you've made but I don't think it follows that people who made different choices are stupid or tight arses. I'm inclined to agree that there are some ChipIt users who have bordered on evangelical at times but I don't think that means we need the alternatives pushed back just as hard.

The price you paid for yours sounds quite good, I'd heard $1,500 so you've done well by the sound of it. I noticed tonight the ChipIt is the subject of another price rise so I suppose parity is closer than we think. Are you able to tell us where you got yours fitted at that price? I imagine a few more fence sitters would be interested to know.

Right now I'm off for a glass of milk and a lie down....
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby Naff on Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:44 pm

:roll:

Not worth replying to except to say, I paid less than $500 and installed the chip in less than 10 minutes with the comfort of knowing if I had problems support was a phone call away. So I'm $780 happier than you.

I'm not going to name the person who had a problem with his MN with the Steinbauer, it's not my place to do so. If he wants to he will put his input here. I'm not imagining it, he's not fictional. There were 6 cars in a convoy when it happened. ;)

Now back in your box.
Naff
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Cowboy Dave on Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:46 pm

GLX-R MN wrote:Good advise is....Never annoy a Cowboy ;)

Oi! Leave me out of it...

:lol: :lol: :lol:
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby ironhide on Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:46 pm

Sorry GLX-R MN, I was not pointing at you. My last few comments were aimed at NaffX214 :shock: . Im also very simular in profile to you, so Im just trying to show him that there is other parts to the world, not just his backyard or situation. Sorry to offend you :oops: . I have done a great deal of research over the net on this topic, and thats why i want to share it with other Triton owners.
ironhide

Postby Tony on Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:58 pm

ironhide wrote:Sorry GLX-R MN, I was not pointing at you. My last few comments were aimed at NaffX214 :shock: . Im also very simular in profile to you, so Im just trying to show him that there is other parts to the world, not just his backyard or situation. Sorry to offend you :oops: . I have done a great deal of research over the net on this topic, and thats why i want to share it with other Triton owners.

All good ;) What I said was in tongue. ;)
Although at first I did think you were pointing this way.... My bad. I'll shake you hand on being down to earth however.
Now also off to have a glass of milk :lol:

Your input is still most welcome, and any factual info would be great. Lets try not to have anyone lock horns here on the different opinions. ;)
Tony
Platinum Subscriber

Postby ironhide on Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:00 pm

Actually my module was installed by my mitsu dealler! and dynoed by a performance company in cairns. As it was one of the first mn's to have it, the guys at steinbauer were interested in the results, so we did 3 hours of dyno testing to check out all it has to offer and peform. It has the equall best kw's at 107, and approx 60nm more torque than any other tested ute up here. So pretty good results considering all the rest is stock. The module was imported here by Cairns Diesel Performance Solutions. I did my research and was the lucky guinne pick to check it all out.
ironhide

Postby ironhide on Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:04 pm

Sorry that message is to Cowboy Dave.
ironhide

Postby Tony on Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:07 pm

That's more like it, some facts. Great results I must say.
Tony
Platinum Subscriber

Next

Return to Electrical