ChipIt & Steinbauer Discussion

Re: 2.5HP Intermittent loss of power/limp/smoke

Postby al coholic on Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:21 pm

ironhide wrote:I have done a great deal of research over the net on this topic, and thats why i want to share it with other Triton owners.

BWAHAHAHAHA.............I read it on the net.........it must be true :lol: :lol:

Now Ironhide..........i can understand you are very happy with the choice you made in the stienbauer chip.....but you cant just get on here and bag every other product because of the choice you made!!!

I am running mickey thompson ATZ 4 ribs on my truck...........are you???? Why not........they are the best tyre.......the rest are rubbish.........................see......sounds a bit ridiculous doesnt it mate :roll:

Your comments towards NaffX214 are outta line........your first post in this thread is rubbishing Chip IT and all its users.......Naff was simply trying to make you understand there ARE different options out there and you decide to start an argument and name calling like a school girl mate..........I have been on many newtriton.net trips with naffX214 and i can tell you he is a terrific bloke.....he has not been derogatory towards you during this.....just trying to get you to back up your statement with FACTS!!!

Of course there is always a better option on the market.......if you are going to spend $1250 on a stienbauer......why didnt you spend 2 grand and get the MRT ECU re-map???? Everyone has a choice to make with mods.......and for most it comes down to most bang for your buck!!!

I hope for your sake the stienbauer keeps performing........otherwise you will look like a goose.......but as those who have been on this site for a while........like Naff.......we all know these problems for the Triton were around before chip IT as 4wd26 mentioned above.........its not the chips CAUSING these issues.......but as Naff said........just bringing it to the surface earlier

I hope for your sake you take this post for what it is.........not trying to start ANOTHER argument :roll: Cheers mate.
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything important, it's too late to stop reading it.
al coholic

Postby Snooozy on Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:23 pm

now for my 2 cent worth,

I'm not going to hang sh*t on a product I know little about -Steinbauer but I am happy with my choice.
I paid way less than $1500 & was able to fit it easily within 1/2 hour.

I have had my chip it in for about 2 months. Yes I did have some problems, there was a fault with the wiring loom & a bad connection. That can happen to any addon product.
When I phoned the guys from chip it (mobile number available 7 days for product support) very few products offer that kind of support.
They diagnosed the problem & sent me a new wiring loom which I had the next day (Perth-Melb) fantastic service.
I have not since had any kind of fault.
I'm happy I saved my hard earned & can use the savings on other mods.
I'm also happy you like your Steinbauer, that does not make us wrong or the chipit a bad product.
LOVE THAT CAR>>>>LOVE THAT CHIP :D
Snooozy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Tony on Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:39 pm

Hmm, none are arguing, this has actually turned into a very healthy debate! :lol:
Tony
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Greedy on Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:40 pm

NaffX214 wrote:Not worth replying to except to say, I paid less than $500.

Wish I had bought one with you now. WOMEN! :x :( :oops:
I'd rather have a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal labotomy!

It ain't pretty being easy!!
Greedy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby ironhide on Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:31 pm

Cheers al coholic, I fully understand where your coming from, and maybee i do really push my opinion, but i wasnt trying to bag the chip it, as it seems they have many happy customers to, but just trying to show a few guys who are stubborn on this debate, and the guys watching from the sideline, that there may be a better option. :D I have to agree with you on the mickey's, that do look to be the best, and thats why i say you get what you pay for at the end of the day. ;) When a few more guys honestly try the steinbauer, my guess is it will show you guys the facts that your searching for. Until then we can agree to disagree i think. :D I think a few more guys will be looking at the other options now that the chip it is going up to very simular dollars!
ironhide

Postby Naff on Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:40 pm

Lets hope so - now if I was looking for a chip the Steinbauer would be an option. Chip It has done a quick word of mouth campaign, Steinbauer has some years behind it. At almost equal prices the next wave of modders will make things interesting.

It wouldn't hurt Steinbauer to join a site like this either, I'm sure they would increase business.
Naff
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Cowboy Dave on Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:50 pm

I'm sure Brendan told me that Ultimate was now a Steinbauer agent or something like that so maybe we can work up a group buy deal that way?

Brendan if you're reading this don't do it right now as I don't have the cash ready.... :oops: :cry: :oops:
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby borngeek on Fri Sep 17, 2010 1:05 pm

Yes Ultimate does have a link to Steinbauer from memory.

Was going to stay right out of this thread but things seem a bit calmer now :D 8-)

I know ARB are distributors as well so it wont be any exclusive deal for the ultimate guys but I am sure if we ask nicely Brendan would get us some pricing... :mrgreen:

My questions about the Steinbauer (for you ironhide if you dont mind) is..
does it have a MAP channel so you can run higher boost >17psi?
can you adjust maps to suit your requirements.. ie. less power if you feel like it, or customise maps according to application.
if so are there any extra costs associated with these 'added extra's'??

I DO have a chipIT but I have not formed any bias toward any. I am impressed with the extra power it has given me and the ability to control MAP, fuel rail, and other things like water spray, petrol injection and now EGT stuff as well so I am curious about what the Steinbauer can do.

The other puzzling thing is how it creates more power without pumping more diesel in?? I know mine blows more smoke especially under load with the chipIT in. I figure more diesel = more smoke... :? maybe i have missed something.. (more likely)

cheers, BG :ugeek:
Last edited by borngeek on Tue Sep 21, 2010 4:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Don't be a tool, use this: FORUM DIRECTORY

Did you search first?

FL/LSD FTW

Sucks to be you, glad I bought a 3.2 :lol:
borngeek
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Joe on Fri Sep 17, 2010 1:37 pm

Just one question Ironhide. Are you basing your opinion on actual real world experience or just hearsay? Have you actually run a Chip-It module in your Triton and experienced problems or are you just rabbiting what Steinbauer have told you to justify your purchase?

I do have a Chip-It intalled in my ML and have experienced no problems whatsoever. I am not biased however to the Chip-It and understand that Stienbauer has a very good product with years of practical experience behind them. I was quite suprised when the owner of the vehicle wiht the problem in our convoy said he was running a Steinbauer in his MN as I had not previously heard of any problems with them.
Dad
----
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.
Joe

Postby al coholic on Fri Sep 17, 2010 5:01 pm

Joe wrote:I was quite suprised when the owner of the vehicle wiht the problem in our convoy said he was running a Steinbauer in his MN as I had not previously heard of any problems with them.

Thats because the problem is the Triton.........not the chip itself!!!! The Triton's ECU has very small tolerances built in....if it detects it is going anywhere near those outer limits........it will go limp mode and then a check engine light if there is something more serious. 95% of the time the limp modes and CEL are nothing to worry about........its just the truck doing its thing to make sure there is no further damage if there is a serious problem.

I had a good long talk to the head mechanic at my dealer about the limp modes and CEL after the probs with my truck coming home from Geraldine on the weekend..................4 limp modes and a CEL in an hour and a half.........running completely stock with no chip installed. :?

The chips............no matter what brand.........are highlighting issues earlier than if the truck was left alone........thats all ;)

No point anyone arguing with me about any of it..................cause im always right...........ask my wife!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything important, it's too late to stop reading it.
al coholic

Postby ironhide on Sat Sep 18, 2010 8:16 am

al coholic wrote:
Joe wrote:I was quite suprised when the owner of the vehicle wiht the problem in our convoy said he was running a Steinbauer in his MN as I had not previously heard of any problems with them.

Thats because the problem is the Triton.........not the chip itself!!!! The Triton's ECU has very small tolerances built in....if it detects it is going anywhere near those outer limits........it will go limp mode and then a check engine light if there is something more serious. 95% of the time the limp modes and CEL are nothing to worry about........its just the truck doing its thing to make sure there is no further damage if there is a serious problem.

I had a good long talk to the head mechanic at my dealer about the limp modes and CEL after the probs with my truck coming home from Geraldine on the weekend..................4 limp modes and a CEL in an hour and a half.........running completely stock with no chip installed. :?

The chips............no matter what brand.........are highlighting issues earlier than if the truck was left alone........thats all ;)

No point anyone arguing with me about any of it..................cause im always right...........ask my wife!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

You pretty much hit the nail on the head there al coholic, there just isnt much tollerance in the ecu for things to change, so the sensors pick it up asap and simply send out the warnings just in case.
ironhide

Postby ironhide on Sat Sep 18, 2010 8:45 am

borngeek wrote:Yes Ultimate does have a link to Steinbauer from memory.

Was going to stay right out of this thread but things seem a bit calmer now :D 8-)

I know ARB are distributors as well so it wont be any exclusive deal for the ultimate guys but I am sure if we ask nicely Brendan would get us some pricing... :mrgreen:

My questions about the Steinbauer (for you ironhide if you dont mind) is..
does it have a MAP channel so you can run higher boost >17psi?
can you adjust maps to suit your requirements.. ie. less power if you feel like it, or customise maps according to application.
if so are there any extra costs associated with these 'added extra's'??

I DO have a chipIT but I have not formed any bias toward any. I am impressed with the extra power it has given me and the ability to control MAP, fuel rail, and other things like water spray, petrol injection and now EGT stuff as well so I am curious about what the Steinbauer can do.

The other puzzling thing is how it creates more power without pumping more diesel in?? I know mine blows more smoke especially under load with the chipIT in. I figure more diesel = more smoke... :? maybe i have missed something.. (more likely)

cheers, BG :ugeek:

//i realise this is waaay off topic but I think your cool about that Tony???

Hi borngeek, I hope i can sort out a few of your questions! Firstly, the steinbauer is the one module that has a wiring loom that piggy backs to each injector, a single earth wire to a in cab swith to turn it on and off, a single wire to the throttle to pick up the throttle position, and power wires. There is no oter extras costs or accesories to you down the road. There is adjustment in the steinbauer module itself to change it to whatever setting you prefer. It has five pre dettermined settings using four different toggles, and they range from 80% to 130%. On the dyno testing i did, 80% gives you more response down low in torque and power, and 130 % setting gives you more kw's and top end torque above 2500 rpm.
I guess that is so you can make it suit your driving style or needs. All settings are a big inprovement on the standard ecu ratings. I wish i new how to post up my dyno results to prove it to you, but i cant figure out how to on this site. I could email them to you if you like. The turbo boost is not changed nor any of the standard motor settings, the module simply changes the timing of the blast of fuel, and the lenght of the blast of fuel going into the injector, still allowing the motor to burn that extra volume of fuel efficiently, thus no smoke, which is unburnt fuel, if that is what you currently have. Because the mn's have the new variable geometry turbo, the boost should not be changed or it will not perform correctly to the way these turbos are set!!! I also think the mn's turbos are allready running 20 or22 psi boost standard. search up vnt turbos on youtube and see how they are variable. They work differently to the previous wastegate turbos which could be wound open a little. hope that answers your questions? :D
ironhide

Postby ironhide on Sat Sep 18, 2010 8:49 am

I dont think the triton is the problem, its what we are changing on them to change how they perform compared to standard! The manafactures dont think or live how we do! all we really want is our own personal vechile to suit our own needs. ;) Have a good weekend guys! :D
ironhide

Postby ironhide on Sat Sep 18, 2010 9:03 am

Joe wrote:Just one question Ironhide. Are you basing your opinion on actual real world experience or just hearsay? Have you actually run a Chip-It module in your Triton and experienced problems or are you just rabbiting what Steinbauer have told you to justify your purchase?

I do have a Chip-It intalled in my ML and have experienced no problems whatsoever. I am not biased however to the Chip-It and understand that Stienbauer has a very good product with years of practical experience behind them. I was quite suprised when the owner of the vehicle wiht the problem in our convoy said he was running a Steinbauer in his MN as I had not previously heard of any problems with them.

Joe, I havnt personally had a chip it module, Im just going off what is reported all over this web site, and what other mates have done to their utes, plus what the installing dealers around here have said there involvement was, and i get a very bad feeling for you guys with them that ere experiencing problems. No one wants to get suffed around after paying for something that is suppose to do its job properly every day you use it. Im really happy with mine, and as i have said, i have had a good bit of research and involvement with mine. Is this mysterious guy who says he has a steinbauer, really got one? or is he not sure? I would like to know some truth to that so i could here what he experienced and be aware of it for my own use. Thanks, Im glad you are one of the lucky ones. Cheers.
ironhide

Postby borngeek on Sun Sep 19, 2010 5:19 am

Firstly thanks for the replies ironhide! :D
Very informed and interesting re changing boost on the new turbo's I had heard someone say that once but wasn't sure about it. I know the chipIT varies turbo (no idea how much) electronically.
Definately using a different tech to chipIT by sounds and sounds like a neat piece of kit.

Everyone thanks to ironhide I have the dyno sheets which I will post on his behalf.
(I have edited the images to protect privacy)
He doesnt have the 80% on him but will ask his dyno if he can get a copy. 8-)

ENJOY 8-) - CLICKY for full size:
the dip switches to change tunes.. cool easier than hooking up your pc ;)
04082010736.jpg

set at 100 and 110% (you will need to overlay the below one for standard baseline)
Dyno tune 110% &100% mn triton 2.5ltr.jpg

set at 130% (highest setting) - baseline stock vs 130%
Dyno tune standard & 130% mn triton 2.5ltr_0001.jpg

Remember like all dyno's results vary so you should be looking at % increase in power. I am pretty impressed in the improvement. You would definately be feeling that gain :twisted:

BG :ugeek:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by borngeek on Tue Sep 21, 2010 4:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Don't be a tool, use this: FORUM DIRECTORY

Did you search first?

FL/LSD FTW

Sucks to be you, glad I bought a 3.2 :lol:
borngeek
Platinum Subscriber

Postby QueenslandeR on Sun Sep 19, 2010 8:49 am

I had the limp mode with the steinbauer on the way to geraldine. To be honest i cant say it was a direct fault of the chip, but I haven't had any other dramas since and the engine light ended up turning itself off after i got home on the sunday. As al said, i think its to do with the triton and if you have a chip installed your going to get to those limits quicker. I was doing 140km in 4th gear up a decent hill 1300m above sea lvl. So this may have played a big factor (overboost?) Should have a scangague in soon so i can read the codes.
QueenslandeR

Postby ironhide on Sun Sep 19, 2010 9:20 am

Thanks for that borngeek, Thats great to see them up :D . Maybee i should also point out a few other things in regards to the dynotuning and their results. :idea:
The results shown are for my ute, and other dynos and utes may vary. When we did my testing, we had to do it all in 4wd, as in 2wd the traction control keeps cutting in and wont allow the test to run. So as a result the readings are lower due to the fact that i was also running a front diff etc. The test is also taken in 4th gear on my manual, so a automatic test is difficult and would vary. If you were to estimate the results at the motor as compared to the standard figures, they would be around 155 kw's, and 460 in torqueat the 130% setting. I should point out to the sideline viewers that the % ratting on the module is only to do with the fuel gains and adjustments, not the power gain.
Also a little more info on the steinbauer unit and how it works. Steinbauer units have a saftey feature built in so that if you are on full throttle for more than 10 seconds, it will automatically detune itself by 1% every second till the throttle is released, this is to prevent the engine from overworking over a long time. ie if you were pulling a large trailer up a steep hill where you needed the full throttle for a while, the module will back off to allow the motor to work as standard settings, thus there can be no damage created from the module, nor risk of limps and engine warnings. :D The module setting will then return after approxamently 5 minutes. Due to this saftey, my results would have been a little lower than what it would actually do on the hard top. When doing a dyno test, buy the time the torque test is done then the power test straight after, the module would have backed off to protect, so there may have been a bit more in the result. Each run takes approxamently 20 to 30 seconds. Still i think the results are pretty good considering i have no other mods.
Again thanks to borngeek for his help, and allowing me to show you my results. :D Hope this may help some guys out. Cheers.
ironhide

Postby CHIP IT on Mon Sep 20, 2010 3:53 pm

ironhide wrote:Due to the way chip it alters the system, it pretty much stuffs up all of these sensors eventually.

What a load of BS. Do you even know how a sensor works???
Last edited by CHIP IT on Mon Sep 20, 2010 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CHIP IT
Diesel Performance Solutions from SPV Industries (An authorised dealer)
-power when you need it-

Web: http://www.chipit.com.au

For forum discounts, please contact tony@spvindustries.com or PM Chipit
CHIP IT

Postby CHIP IT on Mon Sep 20, 2010 3:57 pm

GLX-R MN wrote: Remember the chip and EGR blank are not in ATM.

Thanks for clearing this up GLX.

Its not the Chip. We have 100's of chips out there and almost every time there is a problem with the Triton it is SCV or MAP port or EGR related.
CHIP IT
-power when you need it-

CHIP IT

Postby CHIP IT on Mon Sep 20, 2010 4:09 pm

ironhide wrote:... The Chip module connects prior to the ecu, smudging the signals taken from the sensors, then placing a ghost signal back to the injector and other devices, making the motor increase fuel pressure and turbo boost etc. :o The Steinbauer module is placed after the ECU and plugs into each injector seperately and with only those signals and a throttle position sensor, it recalulates the timing and lenth of blast of fuel into each injector, placing no added pressure on the motor! :D Simply making that motor work to its best efficiency. Thats why steinbauer vechiles usally blow very little smoke.
[/color]

Ironside you're the one thats getting kellogs info.

1) you say we send signal to injectors and other devices. WRONG
2) you say we increase fuel pressure. Wel in fact the way it works is that the fuel pump spins up the fuel pressure and the fuel reg, which is controlled by the OEM ECU controls the fuel pressure. We are telling the OEM ECU that their isn't enough pressure do the fuel reg allows more pressure from the pump to be used.
3). Your Steinbauer ACTUALLY just keeps the injector open longer and that is adding more fuel ... BUT GUESS WHAT ??? It s adding the fuel AT THE END OF THE COMBUSTION PROCESS. THAT IS NOT BEING EFFICIENT AT ALL
When the manufactures sets a given fuel timing and processes it via injection pulse width (open duration) it knows what is the BEST timing for efficiency.

Your knowledge is misplaced and choosing to rubbish our product with BS is a sure way to get trampled on this or any forum.
CHIP IT
-power when you need it-

CHIP IT

Postby CHIP IT on Mon Sep 20, 2010 4:22 pm

NOTE. Steinbauer say they increase performance by around 20%

Chip It Module increases performance by 40% or more sometimes and this SOMETIMES depends on the SCV or fuel pressure regulator.

You tell me which gives a better bang for your buck !!! :mrgreen:
CHIP IT
-power when you need it-

CHIP IT

Postby gregned on Mon Sep 20, 2010 4:37 pm

I agree with Robert but Id like to add that not only does the Steinbauer increase the duration by adding at the end of the cycle, but also Delays the beginning due to something called propagation delay i.e. it always takes time for signals to get reprocessed no matter how fast the processor is.
Hills maketh the man
Why do you have to ride today? Because getting fat never takes holidays
gregned

Postby ironhide on Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:34 pm

That is all good boys. Nice to finally see a response. Thats if :? your info is correct. Iam not trying to rubbish your product, this is a forum and i wanted to show other blokes a bit about the steinbauer that i have, and some seem to be getting their back up. Sorry.
Firstly chip it, i dont know your product, but from research through your installers selling the modules and word of mouth, net etc, I do believe that your chip does contribute to why your modules in the tritons are experiencing their problems, not the steinbauers. Just my opinion! YOU try to confuse us by saying the ecu controls the fuel pressure, yes but the chip it is then modifying it true! Now you also say the steinbauer puts the fuel in at the end of the combustion process, SO WHY is it that the chip it utes blow smoke ( unburnt fuel from any old school i believe) and the steinbauers dont. Maybee im missing somthing :? If the steinbauer was putting fuel in at the end of the combustion cycle, there would also be smoke!
Secondly, My personal results have been posted up showing the not so correct 20% figure, but you say yours can do a 40% inprovement! Wow. Show me then. Take a chip it triton to a independent dyno such as mine and show me your 40% please, and only use the $499.00 dollar or "bang for your buck" unit you refer to. I will concede if you can prove that.
And yes the steinbauer module will slow the signal down as it processes the info, but so do all the modules! What the!
I also believe that the steinbauer actually places fuel in earlier in some parts of the cycle, thats why they inprove the response down low in the rev range, so its not just at the end of the combustion cycle. Oh, and yes, a sensor pics up what the motor is reporting or doing, and sends it to the ecu I believe. :D
ironhide

Postby jop on Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:41 pm

ironhide wrote:That is all good boys. Nice to finally see a response. Thats if :? your info is correct. Iam not trying to rubbish your product, this is a forum and i wanted to show other blokes a bit about the steinbauer that i have, and some seem to be getting their back up. Sorry.
:D

Not trying to rubbish the product?

Some got their back up?

Your first line in your first post:
Sorry guys, I dont mean to be rude, but are you very slow or to stubborn to look outside of the window and do some research! All your problems come from the chip it system.

I'm going to get some popcorn :lol:
jop

Postby Naff on Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:52 pm

Get some for me jop! :lol:

Why exactly do you 'think' the Chip it contributes to problems? Based on what pearls of wisdom?

Is it just because your Steinbauer doesn't have problems, which means all Steinbauers won't have problems?

Think of that little statistics point before you answer this..
Naff
Platinum Subscriber

PreviousNext

Return to Electrical