Reversing Camera suggestions

Re: Reversing Camera suggestions

Postby Rav4000 on Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:50 am

Thanks so much insomniac92. I found the one under the cab but was looking for something a bit higher up.
Cheers
Rav4000

Postby insomniac92 on Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:56 am

No problems, the one behind the rear seat is where I brought mine in, just take care removing the plastic trim in the corner, I think from memory its held in pretty tight and a bit awkward to get the clips to release.
Good luck
insomniac92
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Cowboy Dave on Mon Jul 21, 2014 12:37 pm

Also take off the wheel arch liner above the passenger rear wheel. Then you'll be able to feed the cable through to the cabin more easily. If you're extra ambitious you can also run a wire through the hole under the left rail of the tub near the front corner down past the fuel filler - this is where my dual battery cable enters the tub. Worth thinking about since you'll be there anyway and also a possible route for the camera cable that will keep it out of harms way under the truck.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby Rav4000 on Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:22 am

Thanks guys I will be attempting this on the weekend, weather permitting. Appreciate the tips.
Cheers
Rav4000

Postby triton_guru on Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:16 pm

I have a gator reverse camera from repco done a river crossing and still all good ;P
triton_guru

Reverse camera installation for 2014 GLXR triton

Postby pockets73 on Sat Jul 26, 2014 4:09 pm

Hi I have a new GLXR triton and would like to add a reverse camera. Any suggestions as to which ones are best and ideas of where and how to install the wiring and remove any trims that need to be removed would be appreciated. I think I will go for the type where the rear view mirror is replaced. Also has anyone installed revere warning buzzers in the rear bumper and if so where? Thanks
pockets73

Postby NowForThe5th on Sat Jul 26, 2014 4:21 pm

Welcome to the forum, pockets73.

I've moved your post in here where you'll find discussion on reverse cameras. Please use the Search facility and try to post in an existing, relevant thread before you start a new one, in the future.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby jman on Sat Aug 02, 2014 4:06 pm

Hi pockets73- I went thru the same questions as you on my new my15 GLXR and ended up going the replacement mirror type with reverse sensors and tyre pressure monitoring sys from germid.com.au.

I had the 2 sensors put in the bumper rounds, wide angle cam directly above no plate and tow ball. Was pricey but very happy with result, also quality unit not the crap wireless one. Got 3 yr warranty also cheaper and better than stealer offerings.

Cheers- Jman
Cheers- Jman
jman

Reversing camera - rear view mirror

Postby feckinirish on Thu Nov 20, 2014 4:29 pm

<snip> This should have gone in a new thread. Not sure how it got here. :D :lol: :oops:

Edit> Now I do, it seems the mods had moved it here. No worries but a heads up would have been helpful, I thought I was losing my marbles. :D

To cut long story short as I cant be arsed typing it out again. Does anyone have pics of how the rear view mirror on a 2014 GLX-R attaches to the windscreen?
feckinirish

Postby Earlyninja on Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:45 pm

isn't it just a matter of grabbing hold of the curved neck and reefing it upwards towards the roof? the older models mirrors attach to the windscreen by sliding into a wedge, similar to the photos from your original post.

saw some rear view mirrors on ebay with built in dash cams and AV ports so you can record front and back at the same time and then become a reverse camera when flicked into reverse.
Earlyninja

Postby feckinirish on Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:32 pm

Earlyninja wrote:isn't it just a matter of grabbing hold of the curved neck and reefing it upwards towards the roof? the older models mirrors attach to the windscreen by sliding into a wedge, similar to the photos from your original post.

saw some rear view mirrors on ebay with built in dash cams and AV ports so you can record front and back at the same time and then become a reverse camera when flicked into reverse.

The reversing camera/monitor and parking sensor bundle I'm going to get from Aliexpress comes with a monitor/rear view mirror that replaces the default one. They can supply the correct mirror attachment depending on the type of manufacturer/model and they recommend taking a photo of the end of the mirror and the attachment on the windscreen so that the correct attachment gets sent.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Car-4-Rearview-Mirror-Monitor-DVD-2-Video-Input-Reverse-Camera-Parking-Backup-Radar-4-Sensor/1569171101.html
feckinirish

Postby Cowboy Dave on Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:16 pm

Cowboy Dave

Postby feckinirish on Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:23 pm

Great find Cowboy Dave, cheers.
feckinirish

Postby feckinirish on Mon Dec 22, 2014 3:53 pm

So I ended up getting this bundle from Aliexpress:

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Car-2-way-Video-input-4-LCD-Rear-View-Mirror-Monitor-with-Waterproof-Reversing-Backup-Camera/1326981775.html

I decided not to go with the reversing sensors as I thought it overkill to get both.

It was easy enough to install. Bearing in mind I have no experience in doing this. I hooked the camera into the passenger side reversing light and ran a power and earth along with the video cable under the body, in through a bung under the passenger seat to hook up with the cables from the monitor/mirror.

Took less than two weeks to arrive.
Click to view larger picture

I sent photos of original mirror bracket to supplier to ensure correct one delivered.

Camera

Remaining contents

Mirror/Monitor installed. I liked the fact that this replaces the original mirror and also has a little channel to hide the cable going up to the roof trim.

Camera installed

Looks more washed out than it actually was. Fault of my phone camera.

All in all it works well with a good quality image. A little hard to see during the day compared to a monitor installed in the centre of the dash as this has the reflection of the rear window also.
feckinirish

Postby gusdale on Wed Feb 18, 2015 3:53 pm

Hey dudes,
Repco have the navman mivue drive with crash cam and rear view camera on special for $269.

I have purchased this and installed it today.

The reverse camera is not a genuine navman unit but one they sell at Repco, it is the wired type.

This was exactly what I wanted, a mainstream gps with av in. The crash cam is just a bonus.

The gps switches automatically to the rear view mode when reverse is selected and is decent quality.
gusdale

Postby mad992 on Wed Feb 18, 2015 4:19 pm

any photos gusdale :shock:
mad992

Postby gusdale on Wed Feb 18, 2015 6:53 pm

Not much to see. The camera is mounted exactly like the one earlier in this post, just above the number plate. (It looks like some of these cameras are all made in the same factory!)

Power was taken from the trailer loom and the rca cord routed through under the passenger side front seat.

The gps it's self is mount centre bottom of the windscreen touching the top of the head unit.
gusdale

Postby willotriton on Fri Aug 07, 2015 1:37 pm

Got a Gator hard wired reverse camera today from supershit. Comes with a bonus crash cam.

Wired the thing up and buggers me why but the reverse camera won't display. The crash cam displays but nothing when put in reverse. Have it wired into the reverse bulb which is getting power. Says not to earth it so i didn't. RCA is connected...

Theres a mystical blue wire that comes from the mirror which is not mentioned on the wiring diagram. Has a tag on it that says 'ACC'. The other two wires that come from the mirror are:

+12 (red) and
a neutral (black and red) which i have tapped into the ciggie wiring.

Have tried it with with and without the ACC wire to 12V and also with the camera ground wire connected. No bloody difference.

Any ideas?

Cheers, Willo
willotriton

Postby DCDAD on Fri Aug 07, 2015 2:13 pm

I just called Mitsie's and priced their rear vision reverse camera....
$995.00 :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :shock:
It wasn't me , Your Honour! :lol:
DCDAD

Postby Cowboy Dave on Fri Aug 07, 2015 2:18 pm

Any chance you wired it to the wrong side of the reverse lamp?

There's a green with red trace wire behind the passenger kick panel that works as a reverse trigger. Which plug it is in depends on whether you have an auto or a manual.

ACC should be a switched power, so on when the keys are switched to accessories. The other 12v+ should probably be constant power but probably makes no difference, particularly if the crash cam seems to be working.

Cowboy Dave

Postby DCDAD on Fri Aug 07, 2015 10:53 pm

DCDAD wrote:I just called Mitsie's and priced their rear vision reverse camera....
$995.00 :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :shock:

Has anyone by chance installed an ARB Camera in their car? Good or Bad? :?:
They can run an Aux camera ( so you could have one in the Front or one in the Tray area :idea: ) as well...

Im still tossing up wether to go with a system like that ( replace OEM Mirror ) or....
ditch the radio in favour of a Touch Screen 6.5" and connect camera to that ( and lose the Mitsie Voice thing for phone ) :?
DCDAD

Postby willotriton on Sat Aug 08, 2015 9:38 am

Cowboy Dave wrote:Any chance you wired it to the wrong side of the reverse lamp?

There's a green with red trace wire behind the passenger kick panel that works as a reverse trigger. Which plug it is in depends on whether you have an auto or a manual.

ACC should be a switched power, so on when the keys are switched to accessories. The other 12v+ should probably be constant power but probably makes no difference, particularly if the crash cam seems to be working.

Rewired the camera into the ciggie lighter power and eliminated the interconnecting RCA lead and it worked. Rewired it to the rear - no work. Gave the RCA connection under the dash a twist and bingo.

Turned a couple hr job into a 4hr expletive bonanza :oops:
willotriton

Postby DCDAD on Sun Aug 23, 2015 12:08 am

Has anyone seen this idea... or actually have it?

Wireless camera utilising Garmin NUVI GPS !

I'm really thinking of getting it , would love to hear if someone actually has it and their thoughts ..
https://www.facebook.com/ElectricBug/po ... 5636316776
DCDAD

Postby DCDAD on Wed Sep 09, 2015 8:12 pm

im thinking of getting the $69 Reverse Camera on the front page of the latest REPCO catalouge and installing it in the Sunglass holder, out of site until i need it. I havent seen the unit yet ( Hopefully Tomorrow ) , its a 5 inch screen... what are peoples thoughts :?:
DCDAD

Postby glenn63 on Thu Oct 08, 2015 3:23 pm

Just fitted a factory mitsubishi touch screen radio out of a 2014 outlander in my 2015 mn glx triton, which fits perfectly and is plug and play and also retains the steering wheel controls. The good thing these radios are compatible with aftermarket reversing cameras. All i need to do was run power and earth from passenger rear reverse lights, then run the video input wire up to the radio and a reverse power wire from passenger side foot well to activate the radio screen. All up about $150.00 and still maintaining factory look and functionality.
cheers
glenn
glenn63

PreviousNext

Return to Electrical