Reversing Camera suggestions

Postby tjhart78 on Tue Sep 21, 2010 6:38 am

With the canopy on the back of the Triton, I can't see a thing behind me! Can anyone recommend a good and reasonably priced reversing camera for a MN-GLXR? I don't think I'd try to install it myself either, so where would I go to get one fitted?
Last edited by tjhart78 on Tue Sep 21, 2010 7:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
tjhart78

Re: Reversing Camera suggestions

Postby amanda on Tue Sep 21, 2010 6:47 am

Do you have a MMCS? We are getting one fitted by Mitsi that runs into the MMCS for $600
amanda
Platinum Subscriber

Postby tjhart78 on Tue Sep 21, 2010 6:49 am

No MMCS.
tjhart78

Postby Cowboy Dave on Tue Sep 21, 2010 6:55 am

Someone here was getting a replacement visor that had a slim screen built into it. I think they were getting it from autobarn so perhaps search on that?
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby MN GLXR on Tue Sep 21, 2010 7:19 am

Tricky Dicky (DSE) sell a SWAN reverse camera and screen for $128. Not sure how good it is but the price looks good.

http://www.dse.com.au/cgi-bin/dse.store ... View/L6112
MN GLXR

Postby NitroGLXRin on Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:40 am

Cowboy Dave wrote:Someone here was getting a replacement visor that had a slim screen built into it. I think they were getting it from autobarn so perhaps search on that?

Yeah thats what I did. I think the RRP on the visor screen was $299 and then the camera was $199 (option audio from WOW Sight & Sound), but I had mates rates so only paid cost price instead of that rediculous rrp. Kinda wishing I lasshed out more dosh and went for my original plan of the kenwood flip tv as I think the visor looks a little bit dicky and cheap. other people reckon it looks ok though.
NitroGLXRin

Postby The Alberto on Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:49 am

A Mate of mine just had autobarn install the camera and the visor screen to his Hilux. The camera sits just above the number plate and there is no intrusive screen sitting up on your dash. It is Awesome, when you put it in reverse half the visor is screen and half remains mirror. When not in reverse, you cannot tell the difference between the normal visor. He got the better quality camera with the greater angle of view and the night vision. From memory he paid around $350 installed.

I am also looking into the VMS touring 500 system at the moment. vms4x4.com - Does a similar job to the HEMA navigator (onroad and offroad GPS) combined. It also incorporates a reverse camera and has the ability to incorporate a second reverse camera on the back of the van and/or the boat. Just sourcing prices etc. ATM.

Hope this helps. :D
The Alberto

Postby Fnordy on Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:28 am

Elinz (http://www.elinz.com.au) have a range of reversing camera solutions which are pretty cheap. I am getting one installed next week (have it all here and have plugged it in, just not wired yet).

Their wireless solutions inject an RF signal into the car power system so as long as there is DC continuity between front & rear power, it should work fine and they are real easy to set up - can be powered by your reversing light or a hot pin on the trailer plug if you want permanent.

I have upgraded the car stereo unit to a 7" DVD player (again, from elinz) which comes with reversing camera option for another $45. They are in Melbourne and support has been brilliant thus far (questions etc...)

If you were technically minded then you could order directly from China (http://www.chinavasion.com) which doesn't come with Aus warranty but saves you about 30-40%.

Options with GPS & wireless reversing camera combined are about $260 - no affiliation here. Similar thing was done on group buy for GPS/Wireless reversing from Digital Malls I think - a search should provide info on pricing and how effective they are.

Cheers

Fnordy
Fnordy

MY10 GLX-R Manual Diesel (loads of mods - see shed)
MY09 200 Series VX Landcruiser (stock standard with Poly Airbags & UHF)

MY09 Giant TCR-Advanced 1
MY10 Specialized Epic Expert Carbon
Fnordy

Postby The Alberto on Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:33 am

Can you post up some pics when done please Fnordy?
The Alberto

Postby Fnordy on Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:42 am

Will do - gets installed on 30th :)
Fnordy

MY10 GLX-R Manual Diesel (loads of mods - see shed)
MY09 200 Series VX Landcruiser (stock standard with Poly Airbags & UHF)

MY09 Giant TCR-Advanced 1
MY10 Specialized Epic Expert Carbon
Fnordy

Postby tjhart78 on Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:36 pm

The Alberto wrote:A Mate of mine just had autobarn install the camera and the visor screen to his Hilux. The camera sits just above the number plate and there is no intrusive screen sitting up on your dash. It is Awesome, when you put it in reverse half the visor is screen and half remains mirror. When not in reverse, you cannot tell the difference between the normal visor. He got the better quality camera with the greater angle of view and the night vision. From memory he paid around $350 installed.

Any chance you can find out the model no. etc?
tjhart78

Postby Cowboy Dave on Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:53 pm

I think it is the gear mentioned in one of several reversing camera threads over here:

http://www.newtriton.net/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=5882&p=96341&hilit=autobarn#p96306

Cowboy Dave

Postby The Alberto on Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:50 pm

Cowboy Dave wrote:I think it is the gear mentioned in one of several reversing camera threads over here:

http://www.newtriton.net/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=5882&p=96341&hilit=autobarn#p96306

^^^^^ Yeah very similar to these.

The brand is VGE and this is their website http://www.vge.net.au/index.html.

My mate got the IC750B Reverse Monitor http://www.vge.net.au/ic-750b.html which actually replaces the existing rear view mirror rather than just clipping on and the LCP4903PR camera http://www.vge.net.au/lcp-4903pr.html - This was $399 installed.

I am thinking I will change the camera to the CH-28065Y-PR http://www.vge.net.au/ch-28065y-pr.html which is about $40 extra, but includes an infrared feature for night vision. I am by no means an expert but these seem pretty good quality and are a much less expensive option. They aslo include the option to have 2 cameras wired into the monitor, so I can have one on the Caravan and the boat as well.

Autobarn also quoted me $299 installed for the "Vison Pack 1" - which has the same LCP4903PR camera as above (no Infrared) with the clip on screen IC-652 http://www.vge.net.au/ic-652.html. The bloke reckons they are doing 4 to 5 installs a week and no dramas with the gear.

For that price I am gonna give one a go - I'll post pics once installed.
The Alberto

Postby koshari on Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:46 pm

iam gonna try one of these suckers,

$70 aud delivered,

http://www.eonon.com/Car-Monitors/Rear-View/C0201M.html

should arrive next week, will post how it goes,
koshari

Postby mad992 on Tue Sep 21, 2010 6:29 pm

koshari wrote:iam gonna try one of these suckers,

$70 aud delivered,

http://www.eonon.com/Car-Monitors/Rear-View/C0201M.html

should arrive next week, will post how it goes,

PICCYS PLEASE LOOKS GOOD TELL US WHAT U THINK :)
mad992

Postby mitsifreak on Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:44 pm

I can recommend eonon as i have had there gear on a couple of my mitsubishi's and have their 7inch tv/dvd drop down face single din system with a camera and will be purchasing a new system from them to fit to the new MN next week( a bit sad seeing the ML go been a great vehicle).
The Mafia does exist its called the Government the legal Mafia
mitsifreak

Postby tjhart78 on Wed Sep 22, 2010 1:48 pm

mitsifreak wrote:I can recommend eonon as i have had there gear on a couple of my mitsubishi's and have their 7inch tv/dvd drop down face single din system with a camera and will be purchasing a new system from them to fit to the new MN next week( a bit sad seeing the ML go been a great vehicle).

Can I ask which system you're planning to buy and which bay in the MN will you have it installed?
tjhart78

Postby tjhart78 on Wed Sep 22, 2010 2:14 pm

Has anyone seen or tried this one?

http://www.jbhifionline.com.au/car-soun ... sor/448689

Local installer is selling it for $599 this month (will work out to about $1000) with camera and installation.

Also, will a double din fit in the top console where the factory installed info panel is?
tjhart78

Postby Cowboy Dave on Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:33 pm

tjhart78 wrote:Also, will a double din fit in the top console where the factory installed info panel is?

This has been covered elsewhere before. Try searching "double din". There is a helpful thread telling you the best ways to search to make the task even easier.

As I recall it you can fit a double din sized item up there but you would have to replace the cover with one designed for the MMCS or another double din item. There is a whole thread (or maybe there were two?) dealing with the different parts available for the job.

I think Chris also dealt with it in his build-up thread - look for Nowforthe5th's thread in the build-ups area.

There are also others who have moved that information display to other spots on the dash and kept them working (except for the bit that says what radio channel is being played, if that is, you replace the stereo while you are at it.

Cowboy Dave

Postby mitsifreak on Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:03 pm

tjhart78
i will PM you with details
regards
Mitsi ;)
The Mafia does exist its called the Government the legal Mafia
mitsifreak

Postby yami on Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:53 am

amanda wrote:Do you have a MMCS? We are getting one fitted by Mitsi that runs into the MMCS for $600

Having trouble finding a place that installs a reverse camera connected to the factory MMCS on a GLXR MN triton. Any suggestions?
yami

Postby yami on Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:57 am

Having trouble finding a place that will install a reverse camera connected to the factory MMCS on a GLXR MN triton. Any help or suggestions in locating someone in the Sydney metro area would be much appreciated.
yami

Postby damo3442 on Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:52 am

:D ive also looked into it but in brissy?i havent been able to find any aftermarket systems that are compatable with mmcs?i had my 15000k service today and asked about a reverse camera option as some newer modeled mitsibishi have one with mmcs and there is an option for this and it is around $600 just for the camera and fitting because the mmcs needs a speed over ride to veiw images on the mmcs?hopefully someone will make the override soon? :roll:
damo3442

Postby Cowboy Dave on Fri Sep 24, 2010 1:00 pm

I've posted here before with the part numbers you need. Search on "lancer" and it should turn up. The lancer harness is cheaper (from memory anyway) and their MMCS is the same as ours. There is also a lancer camera you can source but I've ended up using a cheapy I got at Repco. Need to make sure your camera will run off 6 volts though because I think that's all the MMCS puts out. It's not a hard job and you can DIY if you're game. The harness comes with instructions although I think they might be downloadable too. Can't remember if I posted that as well.

Cowboy Dave

Postby sam on Fri Sep 24, 2010 1:42 pm

Would wireless be better or is cable the best way to go as I've heard that wireless can have patchy reception at times :? :?
sam

Next

Return to Electrical