or it didnt happen lol :lol:
Read this First ;) ;)Then still cant find what you are after
Use this Second ;) ;)Then still no Joy Go Here
Look in this thread 8-) 8-)
coughy
Platinum Subscriber

Re: Reversing Camera suggestions

Postby glenn63 on Thu Oct 08, 2015 7:26 pm

Lol true seeing is believing . I will eventually get a camera without the parking grid as there is a grid already on the screen.

Click to view larger picture

Cheers
glenn
glenn63

Postby Graeme1957 on Tue Jan 05, 2016 9:14 am

Glen, wish I had seen this conversion earlier... :mrgreen:
I put a Polaris unit in (with the Hema mapping option) retrospection tells me I would have been better off with your idea and a VMS... LOL
Oh Well! :oops:
ANYWAY... The Polaris supplied camera is badly located and has no lines, so I am upgrading to another camera and relocating it from above the number plate to the roof line so I can actually see more than a skinny narrow band of whatever is behind me and the tippy-top of my tow-ball! (current view is severely limited by the tailgate lip and the rear step)
SO... if you still want a camera with no lines pm me - my old one is yours!! :lol:
MY15 MN GLX TRITON Diesel Dual cab with a few bits and a never ending list.

"If that's all there is my friend, then let's keep dancing.
Let's break out the booze and have a ball."
Graeme1957
Platinum Subscriber

Postby lazy351 on Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:41 am

Im a bit late to this party but one of the first things I did was install a 7 inch touch screen to get a reversing camera.
All the leads and panels came from areopro and it was a plug and play thing ( although if I got a 6.2 inch it would have been even easier)
The head unit has Reverse camera, DAB+, TV, GPS etc etc, and all up it owes me about $650 ( no labour as I did it my self)
Also the steering wheel controls work :D
The $750 the dealer wanted for the rear vision mirror version seemed excessive , and now I have a fancy unit and saved $100 bucks to boot !

Scott

lazy351

Postby Kevin Vermaak on Fri Apr 01, 2016 10:59 am

That is a great idea Glen. Do you know what year Outlander models will fit the MN Triton?
Kevin Vermaak

Postby shaman42au on Fri Apr 01, 2016 11:12 am

I have a wireless one with clip on mirror.

Only issue I have with reception is sometimes when driving I get signals from cameras at servo's for example. LOL.

Camera is mounted high (on canopy wind spoiler) so I don't actually see the tow ball when reversing up to trailer hitch. The transmitter is mounted high in canopy as well, so it has a straight line of sight to the receiver attached to rear vision mirror.

Easy to install myself, only issue is a power cable running fro cigarette lighter up to rear vision mirror. Will want to hide that all by rewiring power source for mirror.

Unfortunately no such thing as wireless power!
shaman42au

Postby Cowboy Dave on Fri Apr 01, 2016 12:05 pm

Kevin Vermaak wrote:That is a great idea Glen. Do you know what year Outlander models will fit the MN Triton?

If you have a look at the aerpro website they have a vehicle selector thing to tell you which looms/harnesses/adapters will suit your car. Once you've done that just match that number with the outlanders and whichever ones are the same will fit. Some of the lancer headunits will also fit. You'll probably find the same is true across a lot of Mitsy models provided the years are roughly the same.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby scumbag on Tue Apr 26, 2016 6:05 pm

Cowboy Dave wrote:
Kevin Vermaak wrote:That is a great idea Glen. Do you know what year Outlander models will fit the MN Triton?

If you have a look at the aerpro website they have a vehicle selector thing to tell you which looms/harnesses/adapters will suit your car. Once you've done that just match that number with the outlanders and whichever ones are the same will fit. Some of the lancer headunits will also fit. You'll probably find the same is true across a lot of Mitsy models provided the years are roughly the same.

no kidding hired a mitshubishi ASX last weekend while in adelaide and the best bit was the bloody reversing camera and touch screen... so its quite possible to just plug and play one of those touch screens into my old clunky 09 mn triton?
something such as this ?
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/MITSUBISHI-A ... SwgQ9VnbfY
scumbag

Postby scumbag on Tue Apr 26, 2016 6:07 pm

glenn63 wrote:Just fitted a factory mitsubishi touch screen radio out of a 2014 outlander in my 2015 mn glx triton, which fits perfectly and is plug and play and also retains the steering wheel controls. The good thing these radios are compatible with aftermarket reversing cameras. All i need to do was run power and earth from passenger rear reverse lights, then run the video input wire up to the radio and a reverse power wire from passenger side foot well to activate the radio screen. All up about $150.00 and still maintaining factory look and functionality.
cheers
glenn

so any bog stock outlander/asx touch screen should work?
scumbag

Postby Cowboy Dave on Tue Apr 26, 2016 6:21 pm

Yeah I'm sure I've actually seen a picture of someone here having mounted that unit into a triton.

Cowboy Dave

Postby scumbag on Tue Apr 26, 2016 7:37 pm

Cowboy Dave wrote:Yeah I'm sure I've actually seen a picture of someone here having mounted that unit into a triton.

top of the thread theres a picture?
scumbag

Postby DanAu on Wed Apr 27, 2016 12:20 am

I did it too. Plug and play took me 15 minutes.
Just trying to source the factory camera!
DanAu

Postby GLX58 on Wed Apr 27, 2016 11:11 am

Very interested in this mod!

Any loss of features at all i.e. bluetooth?

Any where did you source yours for $150? ebay?
GLX58

Postby scumbag on Wed Apr 27, 2016 5:13 pm

DanAu wrote:I did it too. Plug and play took me 15 minutes.

bullshit! what year triton are you putting it in?
iv got the old 2009 spec radio and red led type deal dash
scumbag

Postby lgd on Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:55 am

I was wondering if it is possible to have two reversing cameras [ one high and one at tow ball] with split screen . I have dig options system atm but would be good if it could do that.
I used to be uncertain but lately I'm not so sure.
lgd

Postby Intruder on Thu Apr 28, 2016 6:28 pm

You can do that, you'll need a multiple camera switch box though. Allows multiple cameras to be plugged into it, then the box connects to the standard reverse camera input on the av unit. Otherwise, unless you plan on disconnecting the trigger wire on one of the cameras and manually turning the unit onto av mode when you reverse, you'll always get the single camera view of the camera connected to the trigger wire through the av unit.

Most units I'm aware are not designed for a multi camera view triggered off the reverse signal, hence the need for a switch box.

Digoptions sell some, link is http://www.digoptions.com.au/2-camera-s ... wer-supply. I assume other companies make em too. This one is for two cameras, believe there is one on their website for up to 4 cameras.

Handy if you want to have a reverse camera on something you tow that automatically engages off the reverse trigger, ie when you engage reverse. Would just as easily allow for the multiple camera set up you mentioned above.
Yes... I'll have another beer.
Intruder
Platinum Subscriber

Postby yeahbutnah on Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:45 pm

Hi Guys,
I have standard dealer fit cam with screen in the rear view mirror,
I also have a cam on the back of my camper trailer,
behind the rear bar I added a 2 into 1 RCA adaptor, when the trailer is hitched, I actually have both cameras plugged into the same input feed at the same time but I put in a switch to cut the +12V supply to the main cam, same switch cuts power to the reverse beepers too, they are a real PITA going off while putting the camper back in the shed!!
yeahbutnah

Postby DanAu on Sun May 01, 2016 9:39 am

GLX58 wrote:Very interested in this mod!

Sorry forgot to re-check this thread. No loss of anything all the factory streering wheel functions were retained (I'd actually hoped that I'd get a better bluetooth system but that must be separate)

I got mine on ebay. I can neither confirm nor deny that I paid $60 delivered!
DanAu

Postby DanAu on Sun May 01, 2016 9:42 am

scumbag wrote:
DanAu wrote:I did it too. Plug and play took me 15 minutes.

bullshit! what year triton are you putting it in?
iv got the old 2009 spec radio and red led type deal dash

2014 model. Source me a pic of the back of your models stereo I'll tell you if it's the same plugs as mine
DanAu

Postby diver albie on Sun May 01, 2016 10:42 am

I've got a metal camera I purchased off ebay mounted between the number plate and the spare tyre acesshole thingy. It's connected to my Hema Navagitor and with the 7" screen it's just like being there :D :lol:
“Wilderness is not a luxury but necessity of the human spirit.” –Edward Abbey
diver albie

Postby GLX58 on Tue May 03, 2016 11:08 am

DanAu wrote:
GLX58 wrote:Very interested in this mod!

Sorry forgot to re-check this thread. No loss of anything all the factory streering wheel functions were retained (I'd actually hoped that I'd get a better bluetooth system but that must be separate)

I got mine on ebay. I can neither confirm nor deny that I paid $60 delivered!

Thanks mate, $60 delivered is certainly a bargain. Can only hope to be so lucky to find somebody selling one at that!
GLX58

Postby bigboots on Thu Oct 06, 2016 6:14 pm

Has anyone wired a 2nd camera (caravan) into the standard camera system in the MQ GLS system? I would like to put a camera on our caravan but don't want to have an addition monitor as I won't be able to see out the windscreen with anything else stuck to it.
bigboots

Postby Cowboy Dave on Thu Oct 13, 2016 7:41 am

I haven't done what you're talking about and nor will I since I don't have an MQ. I am however going to do much the same thing to an MMCS unit on an mn. My ideas/findings/research might assist you in your MQ project so here goes.

The level of complication depends on whether you want the camera to work while in motion (aka video in motion) or only in reverse.

Video in motion can be tough to achieve. Since it's basically illegal manufacturers don't make it easy. On an aftermarket unit it can be something as simple as grounding the handbrake wire to overcome the problem. On the MN the head unit receives a speed pulse to tell it when you're doing more than 4kmh and shuts video down then. It also uses GPS to determine if you're moving.

So that's your first challenge working out how the head unit knows you're moving. The second challenge is working out how to cheat it. For the MN people tried just interrupting the speed signal with a switch. The GPS readings stuffed that up. Then someone came up with a pulse generator to mimic the speed pulse for 2kmh. This works for everything except playing DVD video. I have one of these but expect to sell it soon after replacing it with a new Japanese device which not only mimics the speed signal but also interrupts and replaces the GPS signal with a signal consistent with being stationary - this should permit all video in motion.

If you get that far then you need to think about whether the extra camera is going to feed into an AV input (pretty simple) or will replace the reverse camera.

For reverse the head unit has to be told by the car that it is now in reverse. On mine this is done with a straight 12v signal to one of the pins on the headunit. This will be simple to mimic but I will either need a diode on the reverse signal wire to stop my replacement signal telling the rest of the car it's time for reverse or I will need to interrupt that connection (my current preferred option). I'm hoping to do that with an on/off/on type switch. One on = normal operation. The second on = break the usual connection between reverse and head unit and replace it with 12v from my location of choice and activate my fake reverse.

Now we need power to the camera. On mine the head unit supplies 6v to the camera in response to receiving the 12v reverse signal. So that's easy enough. Other vehicles do it more simply though in that reverse firstly sends power to the headunit to trigger the rear view display and secondly, often via the reverse light circuit, supplies 12v to the camera to make it run.

One device I was playing with earlier in the week relied on a 12v feed from the reverse light to power the camera, which in turn caused a 12v signal from camera to monitor to turn that on.

This is not hard though. Options include sending the same 12v signal used on the headunit to the extra camera, or in my case simply switching the 6v supply over to the second camera. I was able to buy a 6v camera so that's easy but otherwise you could use a 6v relay to trigger a 12v supply to the camera.

Cowboy Dave

Postby Cowboy Dave on Thu Oct 13, 2016 7:42 am

That post was getting a bit long on the ipad and I was getting worried I'd lose it. Also I accidentally fumbled and pressed the submit button as I caught the ipad. :oops: :oops:

So by this point, if you're not bored out of your mind, hopefully you've persuaded the head unit that it's okay to show video, then you've either decided to plug it into AV video input (but potentially lost your music) or to fool the head unit into thinking you're in reverse and sent power to the camera.

Which only leaves then switching the camera signal. In my case that's just 2 wires, one with the signal and one with the shield. This will also be easy enough. In fact Air-on-board on ebay sell a switch like the on/off/on switch I mentioned which is labelled camera one and camera two. so you put 2 wires from each camera onto the two pins on each end and connect the middle pins to the head unit and the switch determines which signal goes to the camera.

You could theoretically put all of this into one switch. My plan though at the moment is 2 switches. 1 to say hey we're faking reverse now and 1 to say no not that camera, this one. This way I have redundancy on the cameras and I can still use the normal reverse camera instead of a supplementary camera while not in reverse.

Hopefully all of that makes sense. Hopefully it also works when I get around to wiring it all in.

Cowboy Dave

Postby FreeFall_801 on Thu Nov 10, 2016 3:53 pm

So I'm going to jump in here and hope I can get the info I need.
I've got the MN with the GPS unit and plan on getting a ebay RCA camera and then hooking that up, my main question (as I know the answer to the second one will be spend more time using search :D) is when you are wiring the camera up is there a plug in the connection I need or will I need to grab a plug from somewhere to put my wires into?
FreeFall_801

PreviousNext

Return to Electrical