Brake controller - location and wiring

Re: Location of Electric Brake Controller

Postby Stapler401 on Sun Mar 03, 2013 5:37 pm

I am installing a reverse camera during the week and tempted to run an extra wire ready for a brake controller.. are the wires supplied very thick? Wire I intend on using is about 1.5mm thick at the core (48x.02mm) old dse code wh3079
Stapler401

Postby Calblitzen on Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:31 am

firthy wrote:Primus IQ located left of steering wheel, doesnt get in my way at all...MN GLXR

Click to view larger picture

Just noticed your photo, is the controller covering the obd2 port, as it's positioned above your unit and techs will need ti get to it during servicing
No matter what life throws at you, SMILE.

Better to be looking at it, than looking for it.
Calblitzen

Postby firthy on Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:21 pm

The unit clips in there, only need to remove the plug and the controller can unclip and be put in glovebox so only the holder is left there.
firthy

Re: Brake controller wiring

Postby Caambo on Sat Jul 06, 2013 7:40 pm

Hi all, new to this forum.
I have an MY12 MN GLX-R and I tow a Jayco van. I went to my dealer and purchased the factory loom for a controller, about $90 i think and connected a prodigy P3 to it. It was a bit of mucking around, took me about 3 to 4 hours, the instructions were pretty good and I obviously played with enough Lego and Meccano when I was a kid. I mounted the controller in front of the rear window switch and ran the wires out from the dash through one of the blank switch bays next to the window switch. Works a treat and neat. I only have the controller connected when towing, so otherwise it is just the bracket.

Cheers, Neil.
Caambo

Postby pistol355 on Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:34 am

You can splice into the brake switch wire behind the passenger side kick panel! It is much easier to access there than the brake switch itself. It is the Blue wire with Orange stripe and silver dots, second bottom plug and is the top left wire, at least it is on my 2012 glxr!
pistol355

Postby dragonwagon on Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:21 pm

Just finished installing mine, tekonsha p3.

Wired up using genuine Mitsubishi wiring kit : Part No MR936977 - $99.80 at local dealer.

Made a quick release bracket out of a plate and holder for a camera tripod, about $9.00 from Ebay.

Cut up and shaped a plywood base for it, hit it with a matt black rattle can and there you go.

(Apologies for ghetto spec iphone photos)

Is mounted solidly and can be released and thrown in glovebox when not needed, im happy.

Now we wait for the camper to arrive :)

Cheers Greg
dragonwagon
Platinum Subscriber

Postby eicarsto on Sat Aug 24, 2013 7:44 am

dragonwagon wrote:Just finished installing mine, tekonsha p3.

Wired up using genuine Mitsubishi wiring kit : Part No MR936977 - $99.80 at local dealer.

Made a quick release bracket out of a plate and holder for a camera tripod, about $9.00 from Ebay.

Cut up and shaped a plywood base for it, hit it with a matt black rattle can and there you go.

(Apologies for ghetto spec iphone photos)

Is mounted solidly and can be released and thrown in glovebox when not needed, im happy.

Now we wait for the camper to arrive :)

Cheers Greg

Hmm, that does look like a great place to put it.

I dont fancy putting it near the steering wheel as I think I will smash my knees.

What ebay thingy did you use? Do you have a link?

eicarsto
eicarsto

Postby dragonwagon on Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:27 pm

Sorry out of country right now, will post link when back next week
dragonwagon
Platinum Subscriber

Postby dragonwagon on Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:09 pm

dragonwagon
Platinum Subscriber

Brake Controller Wiring.

Postby Don16 on Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:29 am

I note that Mitsubishi sell a wiring loom, quoted $150, & wonder if anyone has used one?
Seems expensive, I'm not doing the instal so have no idea.

Cheers
Don16

Postby Cowboy Dave on Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:50 am

I'm moved your post to a thread with exactly the same title. It helps to keep all the information together. We always prefer to add to an existing thread than create a new one if possible.

That does sound a little pricey but if it's convenient maybe it's worth it. When I bought my controller it came with all the wiring necessary. Did yours not come with that? I've seen spare tekonsha looms on ebay so you could check there on price. They are generally all the same 4 or 5 wires (pretty sure its 4, red, white, blue and black maybe?) from memory, standard colouring and so on.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby koshari on Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:35 pm

pistol355 wrote:You can splice into the brake switch wire behind the passenger side kick panel! It is much easier to access there than the brake switch itself.

the brake plug is not too bad if you unplug it from the switch whilst splicing., still relatively painfull and you still have to contend with replacing the connector after splicing. In my case the auscruise aftermarket controller was connected to the same wire which made it easy to identify.
koshari

Postby Don16 on Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:14 pm

Thanks Cowboy Dave , I didn't see the other thread when I searched.
I have been quoted approx. $230 to install the controller(Primus iq) by a auto elec & wondered if the Mitsubishi loom would make it easier. Would need to be a lot cheaper anyway I thought.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Cheers

Don
Don16

Postby Cowboy Dave on Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:21 pm

I'm sure I've seen a few posts from people using them but maybe I was confusing the towbar wiring loom. I only found one post (with not much detail) that was definitely the brake loom when I searched earlier today but it was a fairly cursory search.

Cowboy Dave

Postby dragonwagon on Thu Feb 20, 2014 6:31 pm

I used the genuine Mitsubishi loom when I wired in my Tekonsha P3, Mitsubishi part no was MR936977. Cost was about $100.

Took me a couple of hours to fit, but no cutting required.
dragonwagon
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Calblitzen on Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:31 pm

^^^^ Mate you did well. Maybe I'm just slow but the Mits brake control harness took me quite a few hours. Only cost $82. There was 5 different little harnesses to install and works in with the towing harness. Very happy with the result.
No matter what life throws at you, SMILE.

Better to be looking at it, than looking for it.
Calblitzen

trailer brake wire

Postby 08glxr on Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:28 am

Hi guys

Ive read through the trailer and brake controller topics but still cant find the answer to my question.

I have 08 glxr triton that has the factory harness for the trailer and i am about to install a brake controller.
The actual brake wire (blue) from the trailer socket is not connected to anything but there is a spare yellow one in the loom that the red and and white wire plug into which in turn is not connected in the footwell area either. My question is can i use that yellow wire to connect blue wire at back then blue wire from my controller to other end of yellow wire in footwell?
Anyone who has fitted one how did you do it?

Cheers

Paul
08glxr

Re: trailer brake wire

Postby fairmontpsbf on Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:31 pm

Gday Paul

Have a search of the forum, I found a fair bit of info there, including details of the Mitsubishi factory harness for the brake controller. Consists of a number of separate harness's that all plug into the loom at various points.

I purchased one last week for around $100, and will install shortly. The instructions look a bit involved, but it is very straight forward. there is a reference in the manual to using an incorrectly installed controller causing issues. The harness kit is part No MR936977, searching that No should find something!!

Hope that helps

Tony
Tony
Melbourne
MN MY14 GLX+ 4WD white Dual cab, ARB canopy and lots of radio gear
VK3AN
fairmontpsbf
Platinum Subscriber

Postby NowForThe5th on Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:40 pm

Welcome Paul.

Tony is, I believe, talking about the factory harness for the trailer plug, not an electric brake controller. I'm sure this has been covered but my memory fails me at the moment. Someone else is bound to chime in soon....
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby Cowboy Dave on Wed Apr 02, 2014 3:28 pm

Sorry Chris, Tony is correct, they do sell a brake controller harness and that does appear to be the part number - at least if others on the forum are correct.

To which I should add for Tony's benefit, mate for someone with only 10 posts on the clock that one was bang on the money (at least IMO anyway). I like seeing that as it gives me confidence about the future of the place when new members take up the mantle like this. :D

For my controller I'm pretty sure fresh wires were run all the way to the rear of the vehicle, which is what I wanted as I didn't want any uncertainty about my trailer brakes being adequately wired or not. I paid to have it done for the same reason. If there had been a harness from Mitsubishi then and I'd known about it I might have gone that way instead.

Cowboy Dave

Postby pearcey on Wed Apr 02, 2014 3:49 pm

G`day mate
Just run a blue wire from the controller to the plug at the rear
The red to the cold side of the stop light switch BUT don`t get it confused with the cruise control
Also run the power and the earth back to the battery DO NOT earth to the body.
You can fuse it if you like just check instructions with the unit .
If not sure about the stop light switch you can run a red wire to the rear and tap in on the plug or at either one of the stop lights
pearcey

Re: Brake controller - location and wiring

Postby NowForThe5th on Wed Apr 02, 2014 4:11 pm

See I fell into the same trap you did only a month ago, CD. :lol:

Fellas, I've merged these threads together so that all the information is now in one place - should make it much easier to find in the future. ;)
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby Cowboy Dave on Wed Apr 02, 2014 4:26 pm

NowForThe5th wrote:See I fell into the same trap you did only a month ago, CD. :lol:

Can you PM me a link so I can go back and erase the evidence? Already erased from my brain so I have no recall whatsoever... :oops: :oops: :oops:

Cowboy Dave

Postby 08glxr on Wed Apr 02, 2014 4:40 pm

Thanks for the info guys. Have found out that the yellow wire im talking about is indeed to be used for the actual brake wire (blue), thats why its in the same connector as the red/yellow and blue/yellow. The towbar harness has the blue and black wires free in which can push into connector at rear for this purpose although you can only use one.
08glxr

Postby fairmontpsbf on Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:11 pm

Thanks Cowboy

Whilst it costs $100, it saves running cables to the rear of the car, and it obviously is setup to work correctly etc with the ECU, and whatever else.

Hopefully I can continue to value add here and there, just retired, so I have heaps of time to research etc !!

I am very happy with the Triton, the ARB canopy is being fitted in 10 days, looking forward to that

Cheers from Melbourne
Tony
Melbourne
MN MY14 GLX+ 4WD white Dual cab, ARB canopy and lots of radio gear
VK3AN
fairmontpsbf
Platinum Subscriber

PreviousNext

Return to Electrical