Brake controller - location and wiring

Re: Location of Electric Brake Controller

Postby mattz on Sun Aug 05, 2012 6:43 am

Heres mine......p2 where the ashtray usually goes in a ML. Click to view larger picture
THE ONLY DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A MAN AND A BOY IS
THE PRICE OF HIS TOYS
mattz

Postby Big Damo on Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:36 pm

fRuItCaKe wrote:Ok, pictures as promised:
MN Triton, GLR

Click to view larger picture

Mate great spot I reckon - and I love the way the GLX has the spare storeage just above where you located yours....my Scangauge wedges perfectly in there (with a bit of help from some rubber and a d hold drilled in the back to pass the wire through)

Did you consider using the plastic claw-like clip-in bracket with the P3 rather than the metal one? If so what were your reasons for going with the metal one? I just ask because it seems to hold the unit up a bit higher and sit a bit neater....I'm also thinking about biting the bullet and cutting a hole where the rear of the P3 goes to enable it to sit further back out of the way...I will most probably sell the vehicle one day leaving the P3 in it anyway to hide the hole! Juast have to make sure I don't take out a wire in behind there at the same time!
Big Damo

Postby Ranga Tang on Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:41 pm

In this case I just gave the whole box-and-dice to my auto electrician and told him to do what he likes!

He picked the metal bracket and installed it.
You can't have manslaughter without laughter.
Ranga Tang

Postby Big Damo on Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:00 pm

Can anyone see any potential problems with the installation of the unit virtually an invertion ofr Fruitcake's install - that is with bracket up the other way sitting flush on the plastic just behind the 4wd lever with the wires threaded through the gap between the lever cover and the front console cover? The metal bracket would sitflush and straight against the moulding just behind the low range lever, the wires pass through the gap between the mouldings, it gives easy access to the overide lever and controls, doesn't interfere with the low range lever at all , no holes to drill in any plastic except screwing the bracket in, and I can still utilise all of the switch blanks (which I'll definitely be needing) and cigarette lighter socket easily.

Any thoughts?
Big Damo

Postby Big Damo on Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:26 am

bump, anyone got any thoughts??
Big Damo

Postby RockoWallaby on Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:37 pm

You need to determine if the unit you have is fitted with any accellerometers. If it is, and you don't mount it aligned as per the instructions, then it won't pick up heavy braking, and won't work correctly.

In the past, every one I've fitted had to be installed horizontal, aligned with the direction of vehicle travel, and within a limited vertical incline. If your unit isn't fitted as stated by the manufacturer, and you have some sort of towing accident, you could be writing off your claim to insurance.

I fitted mine (P3) on the fuse box cover. Then bought a spare fuse box cover, to replace it when I sell the vehicle, so no holes are evident.
Personally, it's a prick of a place for whacking knees. Wouldn't recommend it.

I'm going to either refit it higher, closer to the buttons, or will try the ashtray idea. Sounds good, and within reach, which is the key thing.
Last edited by RockoWallaby on Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Arthur Dent: All my life I've had this strange feeling that there's something big and sinister going on in the world.
Slartibartfast: No, that's perfectly normal paranoia. Everyone in the universe gets that.
RockoWallaby

Postby RockoWallaby on Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:54 pm

Here's the P3 installation instructions.
They state:
NOTE:
1. Front of the P3 must be horizontal.
2. The P3 must be parallel to direction of travel.

I'd check the install direction carefully. Has to be in the direction of travel. Has to be horizontal. Vertical levelling not as big an issue.
http://www.tekonsha.com/content/downloa ... N90195.pdf
Arthur Dent: All my life I've had this strange feeling that there's something big and sinister going on in the world.
Slartibartfast: No, that's perfectly normal paranoia. Everyone in the universe gets that.
RockoWallaby

Postby RockoWallaby on Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:51 pm

:lol: Grinz. Posted earlier, I see. Oh well. Can't be too careful :lol: :lol: :lol:
RockoWallaby

Postby cryonicjason on Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:21 am

My P3 was shipped yesterday, so thanks for the info in this thread guys :)

edit: Err, the GFs P3 i mean :D
cryonicjason
Platinum Subscriber

Postby cryonicjason on Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:36 pm

And it turned up today. Plus 8m of auto wire, 30amp circuit breaker and some connectors.

Looks like i'll need a 20amp circuit breaker instead.
cryonicjason
Platinum Subscriber

Postby cryonicjason on Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:44 am

Good god, working out where to run the wires is doing my head in :-\

Might just pay someone else to install it.
cryonicjason
Platinum Subscriber

Postby koshari on Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:01 am

-brake trigger to blue wire on brake switch (unplug the connector to make it a little easier to connect).
-ground wire with appropriate m8 connector to m8 stud above brake pedal holding brake assembly to firewall (use additional m8 nut as there is plenty of thread on that stud.)
-trailer signal obviously goes down the back to the trailer connector (run it inside one of the chassis rails).
-supply goes to battery via 20A re-settable CB.

use the spare bung (pop it and drill a little hole through it) in the firewall located to the left of where the steering wheel column goes through the firewall to run the trailer connector and 12v supply through.
koshari

Postby cryonicjason on Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:51 am

koshari wrote:-brake trigger to blue wire on brake switch (unplug the connector to make it a little easier to connect).
-ground wire with appropriate m8 connector to m8 stud above brake pedal holding brake assembly to firewall (use additional m8 nut as there is plenty of thread on that stud.)
-trailer signal obviously goes down the back to the trailer connector (run it inside one of the chassis rails).
-supply goes to battery via 20A re-settable CB.

use the spare bung (pop it and drill a little hole through it) in the firewall located to the left of where the steering wheel column goes through the firewall to run the trailer connector and 12v supply through.

Thanks koshari, pretty much exactly how i was going to do it, but looking at it this morning, i'm going to be cramped for space trying to wire to the brake pedal since i'm over 6' tall.

The extra wire i have is 2x6mm auto wire, so i do have the option of wiring to the rear brake lights if i have trouble with the brake pedal. ( i presume that will work)

As for locating the controller, i was planning on mounting it to the right of the steering wheel (to the left, where others have, is going to be very close to my left knee, which would give me the &^%^ after a while)
cryonicjason
Platinum Subscriber

Postby koshari on Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:44 pm

put it on the dash like i did, 3m automotive double sided tape,

cover the visible wiring in heatshrink/black tape so it don't stand out.

i'm going to be cramped for space trying to wire to the brake pedal since i'm over 6' tall.

get someone to connect the brake cable for you then, 12 stubbles should cover it. , but yes you are correct , its a tight squeeze under there.
koshari

Postby cryonicjason on Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:36 pm

The issue with having it on the dash is that we have a dash mat,plus i being in direct hot sun all day can't be good long term.

Plus i can feed the cable through the fuse panel.
cryonicjason
Platinum Subscriber

Postby cryonicjason on Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:10 pm

No pics sorry, but managed to install the p3 yesterday without issue. Had a test run with the float and calibrated it.
cryonicjason
Platinum Subscriber

Postby SPB on Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:52 pm

[quote="fRuItCaKe"]Ok, pictures as promised:
MN Triton, GLR

I put mine in the same place as Fruitcakes yesterday.

Shane
SPB

Postby cryonicjason on Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:53 am

Heres where i put the p3, just have to be mindful of it when getting in the cab, otherwise no probs.
cryonicjason
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Martian on Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:58 pm

Hello Gentlemen,
I picked up a Primus IQ online from autoelecau. It's a controller which I have grown to trust and meets all my towing needs in a no fuss dependable way. Problem was how to fit it in the new Triton GL-R. Solution - Pics as per below, fits better than I ever thought, Got my AE to place it here:
http://rapidshare.com/files/3752877192/DSCN8679.JPG
http://rapidshare.com/files/2383074141/DSCN8681.JPG
Now just use a bit of of adhesive velcro and I think it will never move, fits tight and snug as it is. Or could screw in the bracket however it will be hard taking the unit out if the bracket is permanently fixed. The only downside I can see is that it will be a bugger to take it in and out but its out of the way and I'd much rather that than smacking into it with my appendage(s). :lol:
Martian

Postby Cowboy Dave on Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:36 pm

Links aren't working for me - get a permission denied message?
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby Martian on Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:55 pm

Hi Dave, should work - Rapidshare free access and download. Tested and working this end, you may have looked at my initial post as I had to change it to URL instead of Image in post.
Martian

Postby Cowboy Dave on Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:58 pm

Capture.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Cowboy Dave

Postby Martian on Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:57 pm

Thanks for picking up the Filesharing issue for the Pics Dave.. The share settings have tightened up a bit since last use, some things just dont change for the better. I think you may have to download to view them.
As originally mentioned in my post with the pic links, the Primus IQ brake controller fits and works like a dream in the new Triton. She's a Black Mica, Crewcab, auto, custom tray colour coded with a few extras here and there (sidesteps, HR H/D towbar), sets her off with the Chrome out the front (only went a nudge and a couple of lightforce lasers)... Kids and Missus love it. About to hitch her up to the new Jayco Swan and head to the Coast for Aussie Day long weekend, what could be better!! :)
Martian

Postby Cowboy Dave on Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:26 pm

Cowboy Dave

Postby firthy on Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:46 am

Primus IQ located left of steering wheel, doesnt get in my way at all...MN GLXR

firthy

PreviousNext

Return to Electrical