Brake controller - location and wiring

Re: Brake controller - location and wiring

Postby Cowboy Dave on Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:33 pm

yeah money well spent I reckon.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby Calblitzen on Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:38 pm

I installed the factory brake controller harness. Took me some time but very happy with the results.
No matter what life throws at you, SMILE.

Better to be looking at it, than looking for it.
Calblitzen

Postby 08glxr on Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:01 pm

Mines all done and working fine positive direct from battery via 20amp circuit breake and negative straight off battery. Tapped into brake light wire in passenger kick panel along with brake wire.
08glxr

Postby Calblitzen on Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:16 pm

I maybe wrong but when using the factory controller harness, with you hit the trailer brake override it brings the stop lights on the trailer to indicate that you are braking.

Calblitzen

Postby 08glxr on Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:35 pm

All units will do that through the brake light/switch connection
08glxr

Postby Calblitzen on Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:41 pm

Anyway it was only $80 and made a very neat install and integrated into the car system. No having to run cables to tge rear of the vehicle.

Calblitzen

Postby Cowboy Dave on Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:06 pm

Yeah mine does it with no trailer, which is handy if someone is on your arse, you can look like you're braking when you're not.

Cowboy Dave

Postby 08glxr on Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:04 am

Hahaha that's a good one have to remember that
08glxr

Postby baileysw on Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:18 pm

I have an MN Triton GLR and have installed at Tekonsha Primus IQ controller myself by connecting the control wire of the Tekonsha to the blue wire with orange stripe at the back of the stop light switch. It works well but the cruise control occasionally drops out for no apparent reason. As suggested in this thread, I have tried to adjust the switch sensitivity but for the life of me can't work out how to adjust that beast of a thing. It is the same as shown in Tritium's pics on page 1 of this thread.

1) Does anyone know the secret to adjusting this switch?
2) Can anyone else confirm that I have the right wire - i.e. the cold side of the stop light switch?
baileysw

Postby biggibbo on Thu Apr 03, 2014 5:21 pm

I think there are two switches on the brake pedal, 1 for stop lamp, 1 for cruise cutoff. Maybe you picked up the wrong switch or wire.

I seem to remember someone doing it a while back and an auto leccy picked it up
biggibbo

Postby tanii51 on Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:55 pm

just comment i installed the factory harness for brake controller and got right to the end and found it connects into relays that don't exist apparently they are only part of Mitsubishi factory tow bar addition mines a tjm .
went back to dealer and very helpful mechanic told me to go the simple route direct from battery via cct breaker splice into brake pedal then to plug at rear
use heavy duty wiring all the way
john
ps dont waste your 80+ dollars
tanii51

Postby magictux on Wed Nov 19, 2014 5:15 pm

I literally enquired about the harness yesterday and was thinking it might be worth it. Maybe I'll save the bucks after all..

thanks for the heads up
magictux

Postby Cowboy Dave on Wed Nov 19, 2014 5:18 pm

I just saw a genuine harness on ebay today packaged together with a redarc brake controller. I thought that would be a pretty handy way to do it. But I guess if you don't have the factory tow loom the utility of the whole thing drops away a bit.

Cowboy Dave

Re: Brake controller wiring

Postby yoshioneill on Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:18 am

Tritium wrote:Mine is all hooked up except the brake wire. Won't get to that till Tuesday.

Tritium did you attach the power directly to the Battery? How does the unit know when to turn on if it connected directly to the battery, rather than wired through the ignition??

Cheers, J
yoshioneill

Postby Cowboy Dave on Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:28 am

Mine knows to turn on once you connect a trailer to the plug at the back. Until there's a load connected to the relevant pins it sits there doing nothing. Mine is connected straight to the battery with an auto resetting circuit breaker as per the original installation instructions it came with.

Cowboy Dave

Postby Cowboy Dave on Sun Mar 22, 2015 10:41 am

So in my second wiring post for the day here's a tip about picking up the brake light trigger for an electric brake controller.

Rather than pick up the wire above the brake pedal where access sucks, you can pick it up behind the passenger side kick panel or along the rails below the door sill trims on that side.

In the diagram plug c-30 is the second from the bottom (the common earth plug is off to one side so doesn't count). That said the earth plug is as good a point as any to stick a ring terminal for your earth wire for the brake controller unless you run a separate one from the battery.

The wiring diagram is from an MN and says that the wire should be orange. On the 09 ML GLXR we were working on it was actually orange and blue.

Anyway it is pin 11 on the plug labelled C30. I can't quite remember the orientation of the plug but if memory serves it was the second wire down on the driver's side of the plug when viewed in situ from the rear of the plug. Easy enough to test though as it should go live each time someone presses on the brake pedal for you. You can follow the wire down the loom towards the door sills and tap into it down there where you have a bit of room and seal it all up again quite neatly when you're finished.

Interestingly the vehicle in question had an arb installed tow harness and there was evidence of some of these wires being tapped into already by those installers which is somewhat less elegant than buying the plug and play harness from Mitsubishi.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Cowboy Dave

Postby snowman on Sun Mar 22, 2015 10:51 am

I have completed the 'brake pedal' version and now the ML passenger kick panel version of these and i can tell you the kick panel version os sooo much easier especially if you are not a contorsionist.

i will try and get a photo of this location today as i have not put the panel back in yet but it is taped up sorry. :oops: :oops: it is a relatively easy job as it is right next to the passenger side step.
This car is like a bad drug habit. It is taking all my money and time, my family are concerned, but new mods just feel sooooooo good.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby yoshioneill on Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:13 am

Cowboy Dave wrote:Mine knows to turn on once you connect a trailer to the plug at the back. Until there's a load connected to the relevant pins it sits there doing nothing. Mine is connected straight to the battery with an auto resetting circuit breaker as per the original installation instructions it came with.

Hmm maybe i have to look at mine again.... Its hooked up as per original instruction with auto resetting CCT breaker, direct to the battery, but comes on every time I drive (specifically brake) then it remains on until there is a period of 15min of no activity.... kind of annoying, would rather it only turned on when there was a trailer connected!!!!
yoshioneill

Postby GLRkenny on Tue Mar 24, 2015 2:05 pm

yoshioneill wrote:
Cowboy Dave wrote:Mine knows to turn on once you connect a trailer to the plug at the back. Until there's a load connected to the relevant pins it sits there doing nothing. Mine is connected straight to the battery with an auto resetting circuit breaker as per the original installation instructions it came with.

Hmm maybe i have to look at mine again.... Its hooked up as per original instruction with auto resetting CCT breaker, direct to the battery, but comes on every time I drive (specifically brake) then it remains on until there is a period of 15min of no activity.... kind of annoying, would rather it only turned on when there was a trailer connected!!!!

You could always just wire in a main switch so you turn it on only when req'd
GLRkenny

Postby whiteknightoz on Sat May 02, 2015 4:39 pm

snowman wrote:I have completed the 'brake pedal' version and now the ML passenger kick panel version of these and i can tell you the kick panel version os sooo much easier especially if you are not a contorsionist.

i will try and get a photo of this location today as i have not put the panel back in yet but it is taped up sorry. :oops: :oops: it is a relatively easy job as it is right next to the passenger side step.

Anyone got a pic of the MN version of the kickpanel wire to tap into? not sure which one to splice into under there and seems to the be the way to go as I cant get in under the drivers side brake pedal to do anything and will have no luck with a scorching soldering iron...
whiteknightoz

Postby Cowboy Dave on Sat May 02, 2015 5:48 pm

The diagrams above should be accurate for the mn.

Cowboy Dave

Postby whiteknightoz on Sun May 03, 2015 10:46 am

Yep those diagrams worked a treat, all done and dusted in under 2 hours..

I tapped into the brake wire under the passengers sill and ran positive and negative to battery and when I ran the trailer plug cable to the back I ran an extra cable just in case I want to run power down there in the future. I ran it along both sills and out the fuel puller cable plug in the back wall.

Mounted the P3 on the fuse box lid so I can swap over lids when its not in use.
whiteknightoz

Postby Cowboy Dave on Sun May 03, 2015 11:11 am

Sweet. Way easier than above the brake pedal.

Cowboy Dave

Postby Pearcie45 on Sun May 03, 2015 3:11 pm

Just bought a p3 as well. Got some spare time so am going to run some cables in while I wait for the unit. Is 6mm the right size to run into the trailer plug from the controller? From what I can see from the manual I've read online this seems right.
MN MY13 GLX-R - Silver - Rear Diff Lock - Rhino Lining Tub Liner - GME TX3100 UHF - Tinted Bonnet Protector - Basha 3mm Bash Plates
Pearcie45

Postby Pearcie45 on Thu May 07, 2015 12:58 pm

So I've ran the cable and am just trying to get the bigger cable from the controller into the plug and in the pin. It's not exactly made for to cables and a bigger sized brake cable. Am I missing something? Do I just join the one from the brake controller to the blue in the trailer cable? It's a 7 pin flat plug
MN MY13 GLX-R - Silver - Rear Diff Lock - Rhino Lining Tub Liner - GME TX3100 UHF - Tinted Bonnet Protector - Basha 3mm Bash Plates
Pearcie45

PreviousNext

Return to Electrical