Installing Double DIN radio (Digoptions) in MN GLX-R

Re: Installing Double DIN radio (Digoptions) in MN GLX-R

Postby ag9111 on Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:27 pm

Rocko
After all that, how did you attach the fascia to the radio?
I love cats, but I couldn't eat a full one!

Mud is like unprotected sex
30 secs of fun for a lifetime of grief
ag9111
Platinum Subscriber

Postby salt36 on Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:53 pm

X2 ;)
salt36
Valued Contributor

Postby RockoWallaby on Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:59 pm

Umm....Gravity ;)
Have avoided it until I get the steering control cord, as the hood will need removal to install the cable.
Probably use double sided tape or such.

Here's something I've found! There's a reason the unit doesn't charge an iPod. It's because it hasn't got the newer 5V charge system.
So, on eBay, did some research, and came across an adapter unit that supposedly charges newer iPods/iPhones on an older charge system. Might be worth looking at, if you want an iPod charge option.
Took a punt, and bought one.
Works great!! Tried with Gen 3 Nano, and a 3GS iphone. Both seemed to charge fine with it.
So, for $20 from Oz seller, or $16 from China (least the Chinese one looks like the same one, although I bought from the Oz guy), it should overcome the issue with charging.
Here's the link...

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll ... K:MEWAX:IT

http://my.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... RK:ME:LNLK

Hope it helps
Scotty
Last edited by RockoWallaby on Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Arthur Dent: All my life I've had this strange feeling that there's something big and sinister going on in the world.
Slartibartfast: No, that's perfectly normal paranoia. Everyone in the universe gets that.
RockoWallaby

Postby RockoWallaby on Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:14 pm

Hmm, an alternate would be to make a fascia plate from ABS sheet, as was mentioned before.
It wouldn't be difficult for me to trace the plate shape onto a piece of paper, scan it, and then send it as a PDF to anyone who wants it as a template. My only concern is whether the scanner resizes it at all, but could put sizes on it in case.

It'd work perfectly OK, although would be somewhat time consuming to do neatly. However, we found the existing ABS fascia files well, so should be quite workable.

You can get a piece of ABS sheet from eBay, delivered, for under $15-20. If you got one with a textured and a smooth side, it'd work fine, with the textured. Just do a search for ABS sheet, and plenty will pop up. Choose your size and thickness, and wait for it ;)

Anyone be interested in this? Otherwise I won't worry ;)

Scotty
Arthur Dent: All my life I've had this strange feeling that there's something big and sinister going on in the world.
Slartibartfast: No, that's perfectly normal paranoia. Everyone in the universe gets that.
RockoWallaby

Postby tokirky on Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:57 am

OK just been over to Rocko's to check out his hood and fascia and they fit perfectly on the ML.

So for you ML owners follow Rocko's install and part numbers and all will be sweet.

I have emailed Dig options regarding a chinese hood and fascia and waiting a reply.
If its worth doin' its worth doin' right !
tokirky

Postby RockoWallaby on Tue Apr 19, 2011 5:47 pm

When Tokirky was here, he also showed me where he'd fitted his radio brackets in the next set of holes towards the front, so the radio sits further back in the cavity. MUCH better! The fascia plate fits better and, while it still is glary on the screen, it's better than it was. Also looks much better, as the small gap at the sides of the fascia plate are now gone ;)

Will try going even further when I fit the steering control cable, and see how that looks.

By fitting further back, the fascia plate sits tight at the bottom, so no need on my install to stick it, either. ;)
RockoWallaby

Installing Double DIN radio (Digoptions) in MN GLX-R

Postby gregned on Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:44 pm

I have a couple of questions to see if others have found the same issues.
My iPhone 3gs charges no need for adaptor
When iPhone is connected using as iPod and make a call the music stops during a call and resumes after the call all good.
If I receive a call the same happens but when the call ends theres no sound even though the music seems to continue as indicated by the time bar.
Also the radio doesn't seem as sensitive Ie fuzzy where the mitsu one wasnt and audio output on radio seems a bit "muddy" Ie the audio output on the mitsu is better.
Hills maketh the man
Why do you have to ride today? Because getting fat never takes holidays
gregned

Postby RockoWallaby on Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:32 am

On the hilux forum, they mentioned needing a radio antenna booster to get decent radio signal. Mine isnt bad, but possibly slightly less than the original.
RockoWallaby

Postby tokirky on Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:57 pm

Mine seems OK as well but I did read in the booklet about a radio booster MAY be needed in some cases.
tokirky

Postby RockoWallaby on Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:22 pm

Matt confirmed the iPod chargers he's getting are the same as those I posted info about from eBay.
Also, bought the 16GB SD card, and simply copied all the files over. No encryption on the igo8 software I received. So, for $26, got all the space I ever could use for oziexplorer maps ;)
RockoWallaby

Postby gmhl on Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:06 am

If I can add one very small, helpful tip it is this:

When unscrewing the brackets (and re-screwing) be very careful with the factory screws. I found them to be very soft and chewed the head on one of them quite easily. I was using a drill to speed things up and now I have to use a hacksaw to cut a slot for a flat blade screwdriver to get it out. So either use screwdrivers or be very careful with a drill.

I found this out whilst investigating fitting my new screen last week, not a big problem but a pain nonetheless.
gmhl

Postby RockoWallaby on Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:29 am

Bought some cheap screen protectors, for iPad, on eBay. Matt finish. Huge improvement in the reflection issue. 3 sheets, posted, for under $10. Make around 6 protectors, and enough to do the mobile screen too ;)
RockoWallaby

Postby gutters on Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:56 am

Hey guys,

I installed my unit before heading up the beach and I absolutely love it. Much better than the 7' ebay special I had before and I don't have to worry about the bloody thing falling off the windscreen when offroad. I transferred my ozi explorer license with out any drama and was soon marking waypoints (bloody huge washouts from lagoons) as we cruised up the beach. The kids and the wife love it as we can play movies and all of their music, all round all are happy in the Gutters household.

Only had one drama over the weekend, I was running Ozi explorer and the topo map of bribie island with the radio playing in the background when the screen flickered on and off and all by itself the unit switched to a CD. It hasn't done it again, but was wondering if anyone else has experienced this?

Still waiting to see if Matt can source an alternative fascia to the Mitsi one, has anyone heard??

RockoWallaby wrote:Also, bought the 16GB SD card, and simply copied all the files over. No encryption on the igo8 software I received. So, for $26, got all the space I ever could use for oziexplorer maps ;)

I have all the Hema raster files and the entire GeoScience Australia topo maps in the Ozi Explorer format and they take up about 4.5GB so you should have stacks of room.
Sto Pro Veritate
gutters

Postby perko on Sun May 01, 2011 7:01 pm

Hey Rocko, got mine in today, happy days thanks to all your advice and work :D Install was a breeze, ended up following to a t this thread. ;) ridiculous how easy it is when you have plug and play wiring harness. :D

Click to view larger picture

I'm extremely happy, for less than a third of the cost of a named unit :D I just need to work out how to use it now, I know you can listen to the radio while the nav is on? :?
"No! Try not. Do. Or do not. There is no try."
perko

Postby gregned on Sun May 01, 2011 7:49 pm

I can't work out how to have audio in the background either.
But if you do a PIP while on radio and choose nav, that will work but it's about a 2 inch screen and you can't interact with the nav function .
Hills maketh the man
Why do you have to ride today? Because getting fat never takes holidays
gregned

Postby gutters on Mon May 02, 2011 7:12 am

Hey guys, to get the radio,CD or IPOD playing in the background start your NAV software and lightly tap the screen, you should notice a little padlock appear in the top left corner. Press on the padlock and it should bring up the 2-zone menu, just select your music source from the options.
Sto Pro Veritate
gutters

Postby perko on Mon May 02, 2011 8:47 am

I knew it would be simple, thanks Gutters :D

Does your audio cut out for a second when you then change something on the Nav, like from 2D to 3D view? I guess the compromise of having a Windows CE system is the ability to process things simultaneously, vs being able to do so much more than a standard nav/audio unit...
"No! Try not. Do. Or do not. There is no try."
perko

Postby gutters on Mon May 02, 2011 11:22 am

Yep the audio cuts out when you make a selection on screen and it cuts out when the GPS gives directions/warnings. I turned off the GPS volume in the IGO8 application so this doesn't interrupt the audio, just means you have to keep an eye on the GPS for directions.
Sto Pro Veritate
gutters

Postby tokirky on Mon May 02, 2011 11:25 am

The only problem i have is that it cuts out a good song to say 'turn left 300m than 100m then turn',
by then the song has finished... :lol:

oh well cant have evrything I guess.....Got a genuine MN hood and it makes a big diff to the screen.
tokirky

Postby gutters on Mon May 02, 2011 11:38 am

You can turn the voice guidance off (that's what I've done) and that stops that, but you need to keep an eye on the screen to get the directions rather than listen out for directions.

Torkirky, did Matt from Digi Options get back to you on after market fascia's, I'm guessing no as you've got a genuine one, but thought I would ask before sending him an email.
Sto Pro Veritate
gutters

Postby tokirky on Mon May 02, 2011 11:45 am

Rocko has sent him some photos of what we need and he has 2 suppliers, but no word yet.

Could be a while I recko so i got a hood but no fascia.
tokirky

Postby gutters on Mon May 02, 2011 11:58 am

Do you have any pictures of your hood?
Sto Pro Veritate
gutters

Postby tokirky on Mon May 02, 2011 5:55 pm

Its the same as Rocko in his first post.
tokirky

Postby salt36 on Wed May 04, 2011 8:30 pm

Got mine to work tonite , I even got the light dimmer working !

My Triton is a mixture of ML and MN parts :roll:

Everything I do to it there is dramas and incompatibility issues :roll:

Thanks Rocko for the diagrams, cleared up the issues and had it working in about half an hour :D

Edit; I had to swap a few wires around in the new loom to suit my ML'ish plug :lol:
salt36
Valued Contributor

Postby gmhl on Thu May 05, 2011 9:11 am

I just went back to the mitsi dealer to get the mn hood and fitting kit, I accidently got the ml hood last week. I was charged $120 for the ml hood but the mn is only ~$77! What's the deal with the big price difference? The dude serving me wasn't really interested in investigating why, not that it matters because they will be swapping it for the mn one. (+refund)

Very strange.
gmhl

PreviousNext

Return to Electrical