Installing Double DIN radio (Digoptions) in MN GLX-R

Re: Installing Double DIN radio (Digoptions) in MN GLX-R

Postby ellewill on Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:04 pm

salt36 wrote:I found a pic, as you can see I had to cut away all the area to the bottom of the unit so I could still use the buttons.

The white plastic thing that illuminates with the dash lights is gone to make room for the RV unit.

21052011565.jpg

Thanks Salt36.

I think it might be too big a job, all things considered! I have a current model GLX-R, and the dash is a little different, and also the display is different.

Might have a look at getting something in the dash that will do GPS, DVD, Bluetooth, Ipod, and have OBD II interface capability. I have had a look online but there is not really much I could find.

Cheers,

Scotty
ellewill

Re: Re: Installing Double DIN radio (Digoptions) in MN GLX-R

Postby coxy47 on Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:34 pm

ellewill wrote:Might have a look at getting something in the dash that will do GPS, DVD, Bluetooth, Ipod, and have OBD II interface capability. I have had a look online but there is not really much I could find.

Cheers,

Scotty

You can get double din head units that run on android now. Should interface with a Bluetooth obdII adapter and let you run something like Torque (i think that's the app).

I'm pretty sure froggymicb posted a link to one in the ebay thread. Ill try and find it tomorrow since I'm on tapatalk at the moment.
coxy47

Postby gregned on Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:47 pm

Any word on the steering control cable for the units? It's getting a bit long in the tooth now.
Hills maketh the man
Why do you have to ride today? Because getting fat never takes holidays
gregned

Postby perko on Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:01 pm

Email Matt and ask him, I did and he sent me the bits, you have to solder the cables between the two plugs but Rocko sent me the pics...easy!
"No! Try not. Do. Or do not. There is no try."
perko

Postby Froggy on Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:45 pm

coxy47 wrote:
ellewill wrote:Might have a look at getting something in the dash that will do GPS, DVD, Bluetooth, Ipod, and have OBD II interface capability. I have had a look online but there is not really much I could find.

Cheers,

Scotty

You can get double din head units that run on android now. Should interface with a Bluetooth obdII adapter and let you run something like Torque (i think that's the app).

I'm pretty sure froggymicb posted a link to one in the ebay thread. Ill try and find it tomorrow since I'm on tapatalk at the moment.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/ES666AU-7-HD ... 336b8422b2

It doesn't seem to be listed at the moment. there is another person trying to sell them for just shy of $1000 :shock:
Tell em he's dreamin' :!:
Froggy

Postby salt36 on Sat Oct 08, 2011 5:28 am

Guys I replaced my SD card for the Navigator with a decent one and now it boots up faster and every time :D

I Googled reviews and Patriot and Verbatim seem to top the list of quality SD cards so I went Verbatim.

Heaps available on Ebay relatively cheap 8-)
salt36
Valued Contributor

Postby SecondEye on Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:00 am

With the SD cards you want to aim for class10 (little round symbol on the card). Concerning the type of card th standard SDcard is about 8gig max and can usually be replaced with a SDHD card ok and then holds upto 32gb. I have my doubts the XDSD would work at all as this is fairly recent and even the andriod based smart phones cant use them yet.
SecondEye

Postby NowForThe5th on Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:09 pm

Hmmmm, no photo in my build thread - must get around to updating that. There is a photo in my shed, though.

Here's another one:
Click to view larger picture

Not that difficult to do, except for extending all the harnesses. Careful trimming is the key. More difficult on the MN though - have to move switches etc.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby Sapient on Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:02 pm

froggymicb wrote:
coxy47 wrote:

Cheers,

Scotty

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/ES666AU-7-HD ... 336b8422b2

It doesn't seem to be listed at the moment. there is another person trying to sell them for just shy of $1000 :shock:
Tell em he's dreamin' :!:

This should have no problem running Torque, and OziExplorer now has an Android version (beta) so this is looking like a really good fix for my CarPC that is gathering dust under my desk! :)
Sapient
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Froggy on Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:05 pm

Do it! Do it!
We need a guinea pig!!!
Froggy

Postby Sapient on Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:08 pm

froggymicb wrote:Do it! Do it!
We need a guinea pig!!!

Yes Dear, you heard me right....I spent the grocery money on another toy for the Triton cause froggy said I should.

MEDIC!!!!!! 8-)
Sapient
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Steane on Sat Nov 05, 2011 6:19 pm

Need some help from the geeks out there.

I've recently had one of these dig_option units installed and had it set up with the screen to choose between on and off road GPS. It's got a trial version of Ozi Explorer, and I've got the unlock key for that.

What I'm not sure about is the mapping. I've got all of the Hema maps on my PC, can I use these? Is it as simple as copying them over to an SD card or is there more to it than that. Is there an SD card with mapping already in the unit, that I just add these maps to (I'd go look but the Tri is two blocks away)?

I've searched the net looking for answers on this, and there is plenty of talk about it, but nothing that gets down to the basics of the process required, which maps can be used and how you get them onto the digoptions unit.

If anyone can enlighten me it would be super (I'm not real smart with this shit, but I am good with kids and explosives...)
Last edited by Steane on Sat Nov 05, 2011 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steane
Platinum Subscriber

Postby motoz on Sat Nov 05, 2011 8:28 pm

Steane wrote:Need some help from the geeks out there.

If anyone can enlighten me it would be super (I'm not real smart with this shit, but I am good with kids and exposives...)

That post is GOLD !!!
One day your life will flash before your eyes. Will it be a good show ???
motoz
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Excolo on Sat Nov 05, 2011 9:21 pm

Steane wrote:Need some help from the geeks out there.

If anyone can enlighten me it would be super (I'm not real smart with this shit, but I am good with kids and exposives...)

Wow!?! Am I looking in a mirror? ........aside from different coloured Tritons. :mrgreen:
Strong like ox. Smart like tree.
Admit nothing - Deny everything - Make counter accusations.
Excolo

Postby fridgie on Sat Nov 05, 2011 10:45 pm

I had this kinda issue when trying to get the hema maps onto my tomtom, googled and googled and couldn't find a proper format solution.

Does the dig options unit use the Ozi maps or ecw files? If Ozi, should be able to copy file folders from pc straight over. If ecw this is where things can get fun :roll: all maps of the same folder must be of same datum and projection or some systems crash.

Took me quite a while to try and work this part out and never really found a clear answer. I was reduced to trial and error to the point where I placed each map in its own folder.

Good luck mate ;)
I'm not so good with the advice :oops: ... Can I interest you in a sarcastic comment??? :twisted:

FORUM DIRECTORY - Click here

SEARCH TUTORIAL - Click here

MY TRITON - SEE IT HERE
fridgie

Postby fridgie on Sat Nov 05, 2011 10:57 pm

Just found this on prado point

"Download Oziexplorer for Windows CE. From http://www.oziexplorer.com/ (go to the OziexplorerCE page)

Should be the wince_core-runtime_arm.zip it's only 3.7MB, not a big download.

Make a new folder on your desktop called Oziexplorer, then unzip the download to the folder you just created.

Copy and paste this entire folder to your Micro SD card using a card reader.

Change the default Navigation program using the settings menu from IGO8 to Oziexplorer.

Then you need to go through the menus in OZi to link it up with the GPS to get it talking to Ozi.

Now you need some maps.

Looks like the converted map download links on Pradopooint are dead.

You can do the following, it takes a while.

1. Download the .ecw file from http://www.ga.gov.au

2. Import to Oziexplorer (Trial version will do it)

3. Convert to .ozf format using the "image to .ozf tool" downloaded
from the WINCE page on the Ozi website. (Note: this takes a few hours to convert all of QLD). This process makes the two files.

Load onto the map folder in Ozi on your Micro SD card then you should be away. Hope all this helps and makes sense."
I'm not so good with the advice :oops: ... Can I interest you in a sarcastic comment??? :twisted:

MY TRITON - SEE IT HERE
fridgie

Postby fridgie on Sat Nov 05, 2011 11:25 pm

Quick look on the oziexplorer website, basically... copy your maps folder from your pc to the sd card.

The below is a screen shot of the folder tree so you can see which maps and folder format to use ;)

The first pic is of the folder names inside my maps folder, pretty sure yours should be the same.

This one is of the files inside the folder, from the info I got you need the 'ozf*' file (* = version of ozi eg 2 for mine, prob 3 for yours) and the 'map' file.

MY TRITON - SEE IT HERE
fridgie

Postby trickydevil on Sun Nov 06, 2011 3:47 am

Got any pics of the unit installed?
trickydevil

Postby Steane on Sun Nov 06, 2011 4:50 am

Awesome stuff fridgie!! 8-)

The Ozi Ex is already on the unit, and setup with a split screen to access it (choice between on-road and off-road nav types), so it just needs the code to turn the trial version into the full version, which I have. So I just need to get my Hema maps on and in a format that will work.

I reckon you've explained it enough to get me sorted - BIG THANK-YOU!

It never fails to amaze me how hard it can be to get a step by step process online, one that assumes the person reading doesn't have a Phd in technology. Same with installing a UHF into a DIN slot, all of the explanations are "fit the radio to the din slot..."

Appreciate you taking the time to answer this in-depth ;)

Tricky, no pics but I'll get some today. Looks the same as the ones you see in the dig_options fitting thread, although mine came with a shroud and surround kit to suit the ML (can get the whole kit from dig_options on ebay). Not quite the same quality as Mitsubishi genuine shrouds but good enough.
Steane
Platinum Subscriber

Postby NowForThe5th on Sun Nov 06, 2011 12:30 pm

NowForThe5th wrote:For you guys that want maps if you want them to use with OziExplorer then these links might be helpful:

This is an index of the 1:25,000 NSW maps which you can use to work out which ones you need:
http://www.abcmaps.com.au/Topo%20Grids/NSW%2025k.htm

Then, from this link, download whatever you need:
http://maps.festy.org/downloads/ozi/NSW/25k/

When you unzip them, they're already in the OziExplorer format so just load them into your Maps folder and go.

This post from a while ago might help. Victorian maps are also on this site (festy.com).

The NSW maps are 1:25000 which is perfect, others are lower resolution but still useful. You can have two lots of maps and OziCE will just ask you which ones to use.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby ellewill on Tue Nov 15, 2011 3:20 pm

tjhart78 wrote:Can't get the Navigation to work on this unit. At first when pressing either the "street" or "offroad" button it would give me an error message in German, followed by a file path

\storagecard\Navione\icons\background.bmp

It would not let me go any further. Assuming the german meant it was looking for a background file that wasn't there, I copied an existing .bmp file and renamed it background. This seemed to do the trick initially as I could then do an address search, but now the unit just keeps resetting, every time I go through the menu to try to look at a map. Anyone had this problem at all?

Hi folks,

I am having a similar problem. Matt sent me the background.bmp file and the GPS function now works. Problem is, it defaults to the graphic equaliser screen after 10 seconds or so. I have to press NAVI to get it back to GPS, but then it defaults again after ten seconds or so....and keeps on going....

Anyone else had this issue or knows of a fix? I have sent Matt an email about this problem also.

Cheers,

Scotty

Matt just emailed me.....I had the graphic equaliser button activated in the SRC screen...tapped it and turned it off....no more problems :-)
ellewill

Postby perko on Sun Jan 01, 2012 2:07 pm

salt36 wrote:Guys I replaced my SD card for the Navigator with a decent one and now it boots up faster and every time :D

I Googled reviews and Patriot and Verbatim seem to top the list of quality SD cards so I went Verbatim.

Heaps available on Ebay relatively cheap 8-)

Just put a Sandisk 8GB in, I can't believe the difference! :lol: boots fast, finds addresses fast, the maps even keep pace with the car while driving now instead of being 20m behind 8-) good call on this one Salt, recomended to everyone with one of these units ;)
perko

Postby Chill on Sun Jan 01, 2012 5:30 pm

I'll try this tomorrow. Does it matter on the size of the SD card?? Do you just copy and paste from the old card to the new card or do you have to make an image first
Is there a fix yet if when you type in a street address and the music turns off then on again in the GPS mode
Chill

Postby perko on Sun Jan 01, 2012 7:42 pm

I think you want to get the biggest you can, at least a 4Gb.

The bigger issue is the speed class, it's the small number on the card with the c around it, go the biggest you are willing to pay for, but no less than 4... I paid $30 for an 8GB class 4 Sandisk card, you'll get it cheaper than that if you hunt around, I just happened to be in JB HIFI and went the impulse purchase :?

I just copied the files into a folder on my desktop then copied those to the new card ;)

No fix for the music cutout, isn't that a firmware issue? I would think this unit will always suffer from that...
perko

Postby Chill on Sun Jan 01, 2012 8:05 pm

I'll give it a shot and find a card tomorrow. Thanks perko
Chill

PreviousNext

Return to Electrical