Installing Double DIN radio (Digoptions) in MN GLX-R

Re: Installing Double DIN radio (Digoptions) in MN GLX-R

Postby Muttley74 on Mon May 26, 2014 10:41 am

Sorry for that. But I did look through threads over last 2 weeks an couldn't find anything related to my issue.
As for Matt, he isn't reading emails properly and just keeps directing me to utube vids or telling me irrelevant information if he actually responds. I've not had good experience with digoption from moment I paid.
Muttley74

Postby Cowboy Dave on Mon May 26, 2014 12:36 pm

Muttley74 wrote:Sorry for that. But I did look through threads over last 2 weeks an couldn't find anything related to my issue.
As for Matt, he isn't reading emails properly and just keeps directing me to utube vids or telling me irrelevant information if he actually responds. I've not had good experience with digoption from moment I paid.

Did you read the series of posts in this thread about that unit from peleroda?

See here: http://www.newtriton.net/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=8224&start=425#p388893

As far as I know he was the first to install one so perhaps shoot him a PM if you still have questions after looking through his whole install. I think he includes an image of what was in his package so if you're missing something you might spot it there.

When I asked him about the trip computer and how it was connected he said this:

peleroda wrote:The Trip computer uses the old plug into the newly supplied module which sits behind the LCD Screen as well as an additional lead that runs to the head unit and plugs into a port called "Control Cable". There are still 2 empty sockets on the new module but I've run out of plugs to fill them with! I'm sure I saw previously, the colour of the Reversing Light wire in the driver footwell connections but I'll be blowed if I can find it in the thread. Any suggestions please?
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby Muttley74 on Mon May 26, 2014 4:51 pm

peleroda wrote:OK, the story so far. The unit is installed & working! With limitations, the steering controls are not working even after I tried setting them up. I think there is a lead missing. The trip computer is coming up on the display but not running whilst driving. I suspect that may also be a lead issue. I have taken photos but don't have the patience to wait for Photobucket to do its thing. Install was relatively easy but my recommendation is that you have a careful think about just what you are going to connect to the head unit. If you aren't going to connect it then don't plug it in because it is a very very tight fit when you try and fit the head unit back in and I had to remove a couple of unused leads to get the unit to clip back in. The unit performed all other functions we'll, DVD,CD,FM,Bluetooth,haven't fitted the rear camera yet. The choice of LED colours is limited to Red, Orange or Red/Orange.the screen is bigger than the older model and OK for movies if you are desperate. I will be in touch with Matt on Mon regarding the steering controls/trip computer. To be fair to Matt I will let him advise on pricing as he gave me a good deal as the "guinea pig". Let's just say I was happy with the price. I will try and get some photos up tomorrow.
Cheers

Hey Bud , have you managed to fix the steering wheel and trip computer issue with digoptions yet?
I am having exact same issues as you?
Cheers
Muttley74

Postby Cowboy Dave on Mon May 26, 2014 5:20 pm

peleroda wrote:Hi Guys,
News on the "New" Double Din Radio. It's bloody grouse, thanks to Matt for his assistance in troubleshooting the steering wheel controls. They are now working a treat, the Trip Computer controls are showing all the usual stuff including outside temps of 46C which I'm over but all is good in the world. I need to confirm with Matt the size plug/socket for the 2010 GLX/R steering controls and then the install becomes a complete doddle. My wife now thinks I'm a genius instead of the nong that backed into her car before Christmas, I have tunes aplenty from USB,SD,FM Radio,iPhone which is fantastic. A very happy little Vegemite. :D :D :D :D :D
Cheers

eicarsto wrote:Hi peleroda,
Did you need Matt to supply the extra leads you mention above or did you already have them?
What did you have to do to get the trip computer operating properly, was that another additional cable or was it just user error? ;)
cheers eicarsto

peleroda wrote:Hi Eicarsto,
I did have the lead I required but unfortunately it came with a 20 pin socket fitted to it and I needed a 14 pin socket. I spoke to Matt about it and he said that unfortunately he didn't have one at the moment so I went to my local dealer and he told me that "We would have to get that in as a special order". At this point I thought "Stuff it, it's only 2 wires" so I simply cut and spliced them. This was in fact only for the steering controls, the trip computer was a plug not properly inserted. When I seated that fully the trip computer came up straight away. There is a minor glitch with the Exit button on this screen but Matt has spoken to the factory and I believe a firmware update may fix this. I am hopefully catching up with Matt next week to discuss all aspects of this install.
Cheers

Cowboy Dave

Postby Muttley74 on Tue May 27, 2014 7:59 am

Hi Peleroda,
Thanks for info, atleast i know im not only one having this issue, just have few questions if you wouldnt mind answering. Where did you splice the 2 wires into? Or should i hit matt up for correct leads?
The trip computer lead you mentioned is that the one going into metal box behind screen?
Cheers Muttley
Muttley74

Postby insomniac92 on Tue Jun 03, 2014 7:23 pm

Just a quick post to say thanks to Rodeddy for doing the leg work on the double din surround mentioned a few posts back in this thread. I got mine last week. Fits perfectly. Thanks mate.
Cheers
insomniac92
Platinum Subscriber

Postby rodeddy on Tue Jun 03, 2014 7:38 pm

no worries ...... I've only just started looking at trying to fit the current type multivision display into the new spot BUT its not as easy as i had hoped ... one thing need to factor in is the angle of the screen ...
hopefully when i get more time i can figure something out
cheers :D

insomniac92 wrote:Just a quick post to say thanks to Rodeddy for doing the leg work on the double din surround mentioned a few posts back in this thread. I got mine last week. Fits perfectly. Thanks mate.
Cheers
rodeddy

Postby Connorjack on Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:00 pm

G'day, first post and have been looking at the dig option double din for my 2013 GLX-R. Matt been very helpful but need a couple of things answered. Do the steering wheel buttons relevant to the phone work with the system? I realise the voice recog does not work which is no big issue. Been told she should all plug in and operate without any splicing (which includes the current steering wheel set up) Unit looks good and with the standard radio cd now deceased I'm looking at the dig option unit because of the practical aspects like the camera. Usually do my own installs but don't want to buy the unit to find out I need to spend more time trying to get it to work when dig options state she's all plug and play from the outset. System I'm looking at includes the head unit to replace the current radio/cd and the monitor which replaces the current trip computer at top centre of dash.

Connorjack
Connorjack

Postby Connorjack on Thu Jun 05, 2014 11:40 am

Don't bother with my previous post just found the threads from peleroda. Should answer all questions if not I'll send him a message. Surprised to to hear about service from Matt at Digoptions. Has been excellent with me.
Connorjack

Postby krimmo on Sun Jul 13, 2014 3:47 pm

Muttley74 wrote:
peleroda wrote:OK, the story so far. The unit is installed & working! With limitations, the steering controls are not working even after I tried setting them up. I think there is a lead missing. The trip computer is coming up on the display but not running whilst driving. I suspect that may also be a lead issue. I have taken photos but don't have the patience to wait for Photobucket to do its thing. Install was relatively easy but my recommendation is that you have a careful think about just what you are going to connect to the head unit. If you aren't going to connect it then don't plug it in because it is a very very tight fit when you try and fit the head unit back in and I had to remove a couple of unused leads to get the unit to clip back in. The unit performed all other functions we'll, DVD,CD,FM,Bluetooth,haven't fitted the rear camera yet. The choice of LED colours is limited to Red, Orange or Red/Orange.the screen is bigger than the older model and OK for movies if you are desperate. I will be in touch with Matt on Mon regarding the steering controls/trip computer. To be fair to Matt I will let him advise on pricing as he gave me a good deal as the "guinea pig". Let's just say I was happy with the price. I will try and get some photos up tomorrow.
Cheers

Hey Bud , have you managed to fix the steering wheel and trip computer issue with digoptions yet?
I am having exact same issues as you?

hey guys just wondering if this was the one you installed as i am looking at installing it myself.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/251462043129 ... 1436.l2649

is there any option out there where you keep your Bluetooth voice recognition on steering wheel?
krimmo

Postby krimmo on Mon Aug 04, 2014 5:28 pm

rodeddy wrote:I got around to fitting the new facia unit part number MI-8060A234XA.... fits perfect. No issues.
I simply fitted over the info display unit so pay no attention to it sitting in there. I have taken facia back off and put std back on for now.
I did notice that my info display unit is large, and this is no way going to fit in the new console ... does anyone know whether i can modify it or do i need buy the matching, smaller unit?
cheers, Rod :D

Click to view larger picture

:D :D

so i was thinking about getting one of these fascia hoods for my ute and getting one of those dig-option units and putting some gauges or switched or something in the top part. because the dig-options unit has all the trip computer stuff on it i don't need it.
what i was wondering is the new fascia hood the same size as the old one? (the big opening where the gps/lcd screen would go)?
krimmo

Postby Cowboy Dave on Mon Aug 04, 2014 6:14 pm

Seems to be for mine. The only catch is it doesn't seem to provide quite as much shading over the top of the screen. No biggie for a new install where you determine mounting depth.

Cowboy Dave

Postby krimmo on Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:30 pm

Cowboy Dave wrote:Seems to be for mine. The only catch is it doesn't seem to provide quite as much shading over the top of the screen. No biggie for a new install where you determine mounting depth.

ok thamx CD.
you dont have any pics of it? what setup have you got going on?
krimmo

Postby Cowboy Dave on Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:23 pm

Yeah I posted a few. I have the OEM MMCS in mine and I'm still debating what to do with the extra space. I'll try and find the other images and post you a link.

Cowboy Dave

Postby Cowboy Dave on Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:25 pm

Here's the thread - there are some shots earlier in that same thread as well:

http://www.newtriton.net/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=16825&p=425809&hilit=mmcs#p425996

Cowboy Dave

Postby krimmo on Tue Aug 05, 2014 5:39 pm

legend. thanx!!
krimmo

Postby tricky151 on Fri Aug 22, 2014 3:20 pm

really keen on getting one of these units from all the response that I've heard from here, mainly for the GPS and reversing camera.

two simple questions

1) how good is the reversing camera quality, which one should i get.
and
2) has anyone paired it with the reversing sensors they offer?
tricky151

Postby K-Spec on Tue Sep 09, 2014 12:55 pm

Am i the only one really impressed with what chops managed to do here? I am very interested in what needed to be done to replocate the buttons and mount the trip information screen into the bottom existing headunit space. To me that is the most factory looking option i have seen so far (well from those photos anyway), i really like the buttons that have been fitted as well as the look of the unit being fitted in that location.

Does anyone know where i could find some more information on that setup? Maybe I need to PM chops for some additional info.

chops133 wrote:yay i have done it, installed the trip computer into the old single din radio slot, had to do a little work but the good news is i didnt have to cut any of the existing dash! Had to remove the trip computer from the housing, and solder new buttons on, but in the end it looks professional and factory, you get a good clear view of the display, all the existing wires reached no dramas at all! Id post pics to show the end result but cant see how too!! Id be happy to email the pics to anyone that wanted to see them and tell them how i did it!! In my opinion it looks great and professional!

IMG_0371.jpg

IMG_0372.jpg
Struggle is Strengthening...
K-Spec

Postby myself62 on Tue Sep 09, 2014 2:48 pm

I am also interested in Chops133's solution.
have the trip computer pulled apart trying to work out how to instal it somewhere.
Bruno.
myself62

Postby Cowboy Dave on Tue Sep 09, 2014 4:19 pm

I had to go back 4 pages to find what you were talking about so I'm adding the pictures here so people can follow without having to do that.

IMG_0371.jpg

IMG_0372.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Cowboy Dave

Postby rodeddy on Tue Sep 09, 2014 6:55 pm

hi all,
another option is to use this idea ....... (look through the info and you will see the pics of the display unit relocated)

http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/forum ... eview.html

....and all you need buy is this ......

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product ... 70921.html

.... but whether it is a simple fit .... I don’t know .

cheers, Rod :D
rodeddy

Postby Cowboy Dave on Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:25 pm

Here's the pics. Wood grain is an acquired taste I guess.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Cowboy Dave

Postby Cowboy Dave on Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:27 pm

It looks like you'd either have to get the dash panel or hack into the existing one?

Cowboy Dave

Postby ag9111 on Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:37 pm

Not happening, Ugly as
I love cats, but I couldn't eat a full one!

Mud is like unprotected sex
30 secs of fun for a lifetime of grief
ag9111
Platinum Subscriber

Postby rodeddy on Wed Sep 10, 2014 6:27 am

thanks Dave for posting the pics ...as for being ugly .... I'm not sure its the best looking either BUT its original mitsubishi.
It is a different dash panel yes BUT maybe the info display unit will fit within the area where the radio was.. would need measurements.

I'm thinking this is the best option ....but not cheap::

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/251612322021 ... 1423.l2649

and i can't seem to find anyone that has one fitted for more info or pictures of it fitted . I know on the Barabarian in England, it was an option - i think.

cheers Rod :D

Cowboy Dave wrote:Here's the pics. Wood grain is an acquired taste I guess.
rodeddy

PreviousNext

Return to Electrical