Installing Double DIN radio (Digoptions) in MN GLX-R

Re: Installing Double DIN radio (Digoptions) in MN GLX-R

Postby rodeddy on Sun Feb 15, 2015 9:46 am

hi,
I don't think even an auto electrician will take this on ....
I used the ASX head unit as it fits perfectly in the post 2014 Triton double cowling. My issue was relocating the trip computer into the top section. The newer trip computer for the top section is narrower and fits BUT i managed to get it my older version to fit ... there is a whole thread about this...
The ASX unit is full touch screen, 12 FM stations availability and i still have ALL functions working, ie voice activated calling, usb in glove box etc etc. I got this unit out of my wifes car when she bought a new ASX and upgraded to sat nav.
I use my Galaxy S4 for if i need sat nav. either google maps or Navion, so sat nav in head unit was not important to me.
I suppose it depends on your priorities. I like the voice activation and use it often.
As for the convertor plug in your second link, you will need buy this just for the two white plugs. You can see how one plug has lots of wires, this is for radio functions and the other plug only 2 wires, this is for steering wheel controls. You need this plug with all wires fitted to get everything to work...

Even if you buy this, you still need make up the other half of the harness to fit the newer 2014 mitsubishi head unit.
As you need to make a new harness, you require,
2 x 2013 Triton plugs in male version - (as just discussed above) so you can plug into the 2013 cars harness, which are female. You can get these but need to buy a few as not enough wires/pin outs in one plug. You then use a pin to pull some pin outs out of one of the plugs and refit into another plug so you end up with one plug with all pin outs fitted.
2 x 2014 Triton plugs in female version - so you can plug into the back of your new Mitsubishi head unit. Here is an issue, you can find one plug that fits BUT not the second plug.
This is where you need to connect each individual wire seperately into the back of the radio....
you need lots of patience, be good reading wring dia to cross ref and use soldering iron.

cheers, Rod

krimmo wrote:Rodeddy thanks for your response. So basically I need a auto electrician? Dose everything work like normal once done
I like the look of the Asx unit. What trip computer is that? Is that from the Asx as well.?
Dose that s converter plug work.
http://m.aerpro.com/vehicles/mitsubishi ... 2014_glx_r
rodeddy

Postby krimmo on Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:32 am

Oh my god. That sounds like a mad mission. The reason I wanted to put the new trip up the top in the new hood is because I wanted to keep all my voice controls. When I put a new head unit in. I was going to put the 2014 stereo in just until I got a new head unit with gps and stuff like that.
I don't know where to go from here. I'm pretty good at fiddlie stuff. But I'm no auto electrician and I would defiantly have trouble with wiring diagrams.
Think I might need a mistubishi auto electrician?
Is there anyone that you can recommend that could have a look at doing it or maybe wiring up a harness for me. Surely there are going to be more and more people out there that will want to do this once more of the 2014 hoods and rv meters start coming out and working there way thought wrecking yards.
Anymore Info would be greatly appreciated.
Maybe I should just sit on it for a while. Someone might come out with a converter loom or something like that.
krimmo

Postby krimmo on Sun Feb 15, 2015 12:36 pm

ok so my idea is to open up look and note/photo the wiring out the back of the 2014 rv meter and stereo and just relate that into new plugs on the 2013 wiring ? could this work?
the wires should be the same colour in both models?
krimmo

Postby rodeddy on Sun Feb 15, 2015 2:49 pm

hi,
you say you are going to fit a head unit with GPS etc so i take it you'll be fitting an aftermarket unit ?
If so, you will not be able to keep voice activation. The steering wheel controls will work with aftermarket unit but no voice control, re call button will bring up call on your new head unit, hang up will be hang up but the speech button will become mute for phone calls.
This is pretty simple to instal as they have harness to connect std wiring to aftermarket head units.
The trip computer has a complete seperate plug and nothing to do with head unit or voice activation or phone calls. So you can fit the trip computer in the top - saying this, you need have a look at the back of the 2014 trip computer to see that it has the same plug as earlier trip computer - in the pic i showed earlier.......

krimmo wrote:Oh my god. That sounds like a mad mission. The reason I wanted to put the new trip up the top in the new hood is because I wanted to keep all my voice controls. When I put a new head unit in. I was going to put the 2014 stereo in just until I got a new head unit with gps and stuff like that.
I don't know where to go from here. I'm pretty good at fiddlie stuff. But I'm no auto electrician and I would defiantly have trouble with wiring diagrams.
Think I might need a mistubishi auto electrician?
Is there anyone that you can recommend that could have a look at doing it or maybe wiring up a harness for me. Surely there are going to be more and more people out there that will want to do this once more of the 2014 hoods and rv meters start coming out and working there way thought wrecking yards.
Anymore Info would be greatly appreciated.
Maybe I should just sit on it for a while. Someone might come out with a converter loom or something like that.
rodeddy

Postby rodeddy on Sun Feb 15, 2015 2:53 pm

as previous - the rv meter is totaly seperate and just plug in....no need to change any wiring.
re mitsubishi stereo - the colours are not all the same. some basic radio wires are but others are not...
cheers, Rod

krimmo wrote:ok so my idea is to open up look and note/photo the wiring out the back of the 2014 rv meter and stereo and just relate that into new plugs on the 2013 wiring ? could this work?
the wires should be the same colour in both models?
rodeddy

Postby Nerdy on Fri Feb 20, 2015 1:56 pm

I've just completed a install of one of these into my new MN.

I'm very impressed with how easy it was (except for removing the existing cowling, what a PITA) and the quality of the unit.
Sound quality I think is better, there's more mids in the sound now and less 'warble'.

My GPS receiver is mounted under the hood, it seems to be perfectly suitable there.

Click to view larger pictureClick to view larger pictureClick to view larger pictureClick to view larger pictureClick to view larger picture
Nerdy

Postby tritonliz on Sat Feb 21, 2015 9:47 am

Nerdy wrote:I've just completed a install of one of these into my new MN.

I'm very impressed with how easy it was (except for removing the existing cowling, what a PITA) and the quality of the unit.
Sound quality I think is better, there's more mids in the sound now and less 'warble'.

My GPS receiver is mounted under the hood, it seems to be perfectly suitable there.

I have one of these and the lovely Cowboy Dave installed it for me, it was easy to fit if you would be fitting as a stand alone unit but if you want to add reverse camera, GPS, USB etc etc then there is a lot of wiring involved...also I had big issues with my GPS that too some time to get sorted. Seems to be sorted now (faulty GPS receiver) . Road maps are good but havn't tried the off road yet, sound also good but still gonna upgrade the speakers at some point. The surround, which I used from the MN GLR original unit doesn't fit well, Dave trimmed it back so it fit flush but it is hard to keep the corners in place, prob needs glueing somehow. All in all, for the money, a good unit.

Also my GPS would only work if right under the windscreen and almost against windscreen. Under the hood, no way.
Last edited by NowForThe5th on Sat Feb 21, 2015 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed quotes and removed unnecessary duplication of pictures
tritonliz

Postby Horratio on Sat Feb 21, 2015 2:21 pm

Hi Nerdy. Install looks great! Just wondering if you installed a reverse camera? If so, how long does it take for the image to appear on the screen once you put it in reverse? Also is obd reader available on this stereo? I've read that it is but can't find the option when ordering on the site.
Horratio

Postby Cowboy Dave on Sat Feb 21, 2015 2:43 pm

If you buy the android models some of them will connect to a bluetooth OBD reader and run the torque app like on your phone.

There's also a model from Brash Imports which looks very similar to the digoptions models but has the trip computer stuff built into it.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby ppr on Sun Feb 22, 2015 10:01 am

Click to view larger pictureClick to view larger pictureClick to view larger pictureClick to view larger pictureClick to view larger picture

Awesome job mate, did you get the unit from the dig options web store or their ebay store? Ebay store unit looks like $100 cheaper for same unit, if im looking at same one, as im looking for the same unit as you have put in. Any major things to be aware of?? Cheers.
ppr

Postby mad992 on Sun Feb 22, 2015 10:32 am

yeah looks fantastic wish my ML had one of them :oops:
mad992

Postby Nerdy on Mon Feb 23, 2015 6:11 am

Tritonliz: My GPS receiver is directly behind the trip computer above the head unit. It seems quite stable (signal wise) in there.

Horratio: I have the reversing camera, I'm just waiting on a dry day when I could be bothered installing it. I hav'nt looked into OBD2 functionality. I may have another project on the way to do that. I've got parts to do it, I just need time.
Nerdy

Postby krimmo on Mon Feb 23, 2015 4:16 pm

nerdy. do all you voice controls work?
krimmo

Postby Nerdy on Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:13 pm

krimmo wrote:nerdy. do all you voice controls work?

Nah mate, it replaced the existing system.
All steering wheel controls work through the DigOptions unit instead.
Nerdy

Postby Horratio on Mon Feb 23, 2015 7:17 pm

Thanks Nerdy.
PPR - i emailed digoptions as i was wondering the same thing. Head units look different but specs are the same and ebay version is cheaper. This is the response i got today -

"Hi, they are the same systems. Just need to add the camera on the site but it still works out cheaper after adding the camera."

Not sure what he means as eBay site is cheaper and camera comes with it. Anyway seem to be the same unit. Nerdy - did you purchase from eBay store or dig options site?
Horratio

Postby Nerdy on Mon Feb 23, 2015 7:21 pm

I purchased from the DigOptions store - I Googled for a discount code. Saved about $80.
Nerdy

Postby krimmo on Tue Feb 24, 2015 2:38 pm

thanx nerdy. mate you dont happen to have any pix of the inside of the hood or anythnig like that? just need to get some pix of a 2014 plugs and cables and stuff.
krimmo

Postby uhuforrest on Wed Feb 25, 2015 7:45 pm

rodeddy wrote:hi,
the factory microphone does not plug into the head unit. It plugs into the handsfree ecu. This ecu controls the voice activation mode from your steering wheel controls, the steering wheel controls and it ALSO controls the usb plug in your glove box - yes the usb in your glove box is not connected to the head unit.
On the pre 2014 models it is called 'handsfree ecu'' and on post 2014 with the newer headunit with rv meter above it, they refer to it as the 'usb box'
The only connection from the USB box / handsfree ecu to the head unit is for display purposes and some minor control purposes.
This is why when you remove the factory head unit for an aftermarket unit, voice recognition no longer works and steering wheel controls serve a different purpose. They also need run new usb line to the glove box connection..
After market units cannot 'talk 'to the mitsubsihi usb box.
cheers, Rod

Hi, does the microphone connect up I n the hood lining or is it a complete line down to the USB box? Want to fit a roof console and relocate the microphone. Don't want to buy the console only to find not enough wire to relocate the speaker. Any help appreciated.
uhuforrest
Platinum Subscriber

Postby spoiltone on Thu Feb 26, 2015 6:55 am

I want that fascia and trip Tell me more. I have 2011 glxr don't care about voice controls I currently using Phillips ced1900bt double din but want my trip computer up top so I can have storage down low or fit UHF where old radio was

ppr wrote:

Awesome job mate, did you get the unit from the dig options web store or their ebay store? Ebay store unit looks like $100 cheaper for same unit, if im looking at same one, as im looking for the same unit as you have put in. Any major things to be aware of?? Cheers.
spoiltone

Postby spoiltone on Wed Mar 11, 2015 7:37 pm

I all ready have the double din installed but want to move my trip computer from where old cd player is. I molded it in there. What's the part number for this new style fascia so I can modify my standard trip to fit. Just need the fascia part number as I want to put a UHF were old cd player goes.
spoiltone

Postby viking shippy on Wed Mar 11, 2015 7:43 pm

Spoiltone Look^^^^^^^up it's in Dave's post^^^^above^^^^
viking shippy

Postby Cowboy Dave on Wed Mar 11, 2015 7:44 pm

MI-8060A234XA

At least that's what my note says.

Cowboy Dave

Postby spoiltone on Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:24 pm

searched that and it comes up as the double din unit. mmm in russia
spoiltone

Postby Cowboy Dave on Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:31 pm

It's the right number. If you search it here on the forum you will see it is mentioned several times by people who bought one.

It's also the part number I used to order mine from Eagers.

Cowboy Dave

Postby spoiltone on Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:55 pm

has any one retro fitted the older style trip into this unit?
been chasing wreckers all day to find a complete unit. few people have had them but i guess triton owners got them
spoiltone

PreviousNext

Return to Electrical