Installing Double DIN radio (Digoptions) in MN GLX-R

Re: Installing Double DIN radio (Digoptions) in MN GLX-R

Postby Cowboy Dave on Sun Dec 28, 2014 8:47 pm

On the iso plugs from what you're saying I think you've been seeing adapters - so ISO on one end for the new unit and vehicle specific on the other end for the actual vehicle.

Is the unit you bought the C1309A? If so it does appear to be just the two wires labelled SW1 and SW2 which you would connect to whatever wires on the back of the current head unit correspond to steering wheel controls. They may be as identified in that link above but they could also have changed the colours.

The problem for me at least is that I can only get a manual to 2013 so I can't tell you whether your wiring on a different headunit a year later will be the same or not.

You may work it out by elimination in the end as there are only so many wires that there can be coming out of it.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby shorsfall on Sun Dec 28, 2014 8:58 pm

Cowboy Dave wrote:On the iso plugs from what you're saying I think you've been seeing adapters - so ISO on one end for the new unit and vehicle specific on the other end for the actual vehicle.

Is the unit you bought the C1309A? If so it does appear to be just the two wires labelled SW1 and SW2 which you would connect to whatever wires on the back of the current head unit correspond to steering wheel controls. They may be as identified in that link above but they could also have changed the colours.

The problem for me at least is that I can only get a manual to 2013 so I can't tell you whether your wiring on a different headunit a year later will be the same or not.

You may work it out by elimination in the end as there are only so many wires that there can be coming out of it.

The unit I'm looking at buying is the Eonon M1A. I'm choosing this unit as it does screen mirroring which means I can bring the screen of my IPhone up on the screen of the Head Unit. From what I can gather the SW1 & SW2 are the 2 wires for the steering wheel controls I just don't know which wires to connect to on the Tritons harness. Does anyone know or have a wiring diagram or pinout for the factory unit?
shorsfall

Postby croc.me on Tue Dec 30, 2014 2:47 pm

Has anyone been able to source the double din fascia surround cheaply? (To cover gaps from aftermarket double din stereo).

I know they're included in the double-din kit from mitsubishi, but that retails for $95+ dollars.
croc.me

Postby tritonliz on Tue Jan 20, 2015 1:23 pm

peleroda wrote:Thanks Guys, I saw that some of you had mounted them under the hood but I was struggling to get as many cables out of the head unit hole that I felt it would be beneficial to take it out and away. By the time I had managed to refit the head unit I'm sure I would have damaged the antenna cable if I had left it under the hood. As I said space is at a premium with all the added cables behind the head unit. I cleared out as many as I could to ensure it would clip in fully when I re-installed it. I tried the Nav on our trip out to dinner and Jenny told me where to go in a very polite way even if she started out a block away from where she should have been. All good now I just have to speak to Matt about the steering wheel controls :D
Cheers

Hi
Did you have issues with the StreetNav initially? Mine isn't working properly, took SD card out and put back in a few times and even moved GPS receiver back on the dash slightly but still not working properly. It must be receiving Satellite signal as brings up road map, then when drive with it it freezes on screen and at one point said no GPS signal..it is located on dash above head unit about 3/4 way back towards windscreen.

It is really annoying me that not working properly. Street Nav should just work out of box shouldn't it? Shouldn't have to upload any maps, only for off road. I have had to plug in the Garmin again for Sat Nav and with that plugged in I can't play music on the Didoptions unit as it interferes with the Garmin Sat Nav..or something does. Aggghh.
tritonliz

Postby tritonliz on Tue Jan 20, 2015 1:26 pm

dig_options wrote:Hey guys, it's Matt here. Been a while since i posted. Thank you all for taking an interest in this new model under development. We have tweaked a few things to make it work with our model including an upgraded radio receiver (among other things). We are working through a few improvements with 'peleroda' and will launch late Feb (2014).
Peleroda, feel free to keep emailing me but i hope the steering wheel setup video helped. Many of our clients will mount the microphone on the A-Pillar (out of wind). I hope this works for you otherwise in front of the speedo might be a better way to get it out of the way.
Thanks again,
Matt - DIG Options - +61409 427 461

Hi

Have just got the prenium Digoptions unit for the MN Triton from you..all fiited in but GPS isn't working properly. It show street maps but then when start driving it freezes and at top right corner of screen the usual green direction area disappears or turns into yellow dots. I didn't have to load anything onto SC card for street maps did I?
tritonliz

Postby tritonliz on Tue Jan 20, 2015 1:29 pm

tritonliz wrote:
dig_options wrote:Hey guys, it's Matt here. Been a while since i posted. Thank you all for taking an interest in this new model under development. We have tweaked a few things to make it work with our model including an upgraded radio receiver (among other things). We are working through a few improvements with 'peleroda' and will launch late Feb (2014).
Peleroda, feel free to keep emailing me but i hope the steering wheel setup video helped. Many of our clients will mount the microphone on the A-Pillar (out of wind). I hope this works for you otherwise in front of the speedo might be a better way to get it out of the way.
Thanks again,
Matt - DIG Options - +61409 427 461

Hi

Have just got the prenium Digoptions unit for the MN Triton from you..all fiited in but GPS isn't working properly. It show street maps but then when start driving it freezes and at top right corner of screen the usual green direction area disappears or turns into yellow dots. I didn't have to load anything onto SC card for street maps did I?

Also if I have Digoptions unit on and plus in my Garmin Sat Nav unit into 12 volt it won't detect signals until I turn of Digoptions unit, as through Digoptions unit is interferring with the Garmin Sat Nav....also meand if I use the Garmin I can't have any music on as can't have Digoptions unit on.....please help. Why is my signal so poor?
tritonliz

Postby coughy on Tue Jan 20, 2015 5:07 pm

if any one is removing there rv meter and not using it can i have it to try and have a play with my car to see if i can get it to work as i dont have one... ;)
Read this First ;) ;)Then still cant find what you are after
Use this Second ;) ;)Then still no Joy Go Here
Look in this thread 8-) 8-)
coughy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Cowboy Dave on Tue Jan 20, 2015 5:24 pm

I'm about to do the same with mine mate. If I strike out completely you might be able to pick mine up afterwards. Or if you have an ML I think tritonwreckers have a couple if they haven't been sold since they were last advertised.

Cowboy Dave

Postby coughy on Tue Jan 20, 2015 6:55 pm

cheers dave very interested if you can get it to work as ive stated before i have the mmcs in my pb challenger but no rv meter seriously WTF mitsubishi so now in the new pc challenger they have both GGGRRRRRR :evil:
coughy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Cowboy Dave on Tue Jan 20, 2015 7:13 pm

Ah then your situation is even more like mine that I thought. Same exact issue. MMCS and no external data/trip computer. There is an RV meter on ebay that's been there for ages for about $150. They've dropped the price a few times but seem stuck on the $150. I was hoping to wait them out but a bloke popped up on facebook who had actually fitted a headunit just like the digoptions and was selling his old single din and info display for I think less than half the ebay people. So if anyone wants a single din headunit it's free to a good home.

Anyway back to the RV meter, as a starting point it would be worth checking to see if you have the ambient temperature sensor present. On the MN Triton it sits on the driver's side vertical at the front of the radiator behind the grill. It would be maybe an inch down from the top and has a plug with two wires coming from underneath. The sensor itself is mounted on a white nylon press in fixture. In my case I had the wire and the plug but no sensor. I scored a sensor off a wreck from our forum sponsors - Tritonwreckers and it fit the plug perfectly. I think i have a part number for it somewhere here too if you're interested. When i was checking ebay it turns out they use the same part (Denso I think?) in some lexus models and a variety of other cars.

I traced through all the wiring diagrams in the manual and it seemed to me that it shared fuses and relays with other things I already have so I shouldn't need to install anything extra there. The big question in the end is whether, if I go ferreting in behind the MMCS and inside the dash, I'm going to find a matching plug taped to a loom in there somewhere. I very much hope so because if I have to run fresh connections from the various plugs and other connections behind the dash it could quickly become mission impossible.

I assume you've also read rodeddy's posts about modding the housing and 4wdtrainer's posts about connecting his ML wires to the MN specific headunit with display functions? I can see myself having to print those later as reference material at some point.

There's a facebook group called Mitsubishi Triton 4x4 Buy Swap Sell that might be worth joining so you can post a wanted listing? You may as well cover as many bases as possible. And if you could do that, successfully prove the concept and send me some instructions afterwards well that would be perfect. :lol: :lol:

Cowboy Dave

Postby coughy on Wed Jan 21, 2015 5:00 pm

hahahaha yes i have read all posts i pulled out the mmcs other week i didnt see any extra plugs in the radio area so i need to pull of the cover under neath the radio and go ferreting around like you said ..
mm ty for the reply my quest continues .
as for the sensor at the radiator i will go look see...
coughy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Cowboy Dave on Wed Jan 21, 2015 5:03 pm

Not on my car but on some others I've recently looked at there are random plugs taped to the looms down behind the centre part of the dash - I am hoping mine is the same and that one of them is the one I need.

Cowboy Dave

Postby coughy on Wed Jan 21, 2015 5:18 pm

i just had a look and i found this plug looking thing is this the sensor you talk of???

click on picky to resize
bit hard to take photo from grill lol
this on u can see some numbers on the side of it
i dont know what it is
maybe the one
Edit
ok so this one i just found "Forward distance warning sensor or Corner clearance sensor"

but it is most likekly Ambient temperature sensor (for air conditioner) <Automatic A/C>
will this do the job dave or i need to get the other on on the other side (driverside)??

Click to view larger picture

and this is the sensor looking thing pointing straight up just under the grill

these are on the passenger side on the drivers side like you stated is a plug but it is empty looks like this

but i just have a look in the manual online and this is what i found
"<Vehicles without auto A/C>" have the sensor so it looks like i wouldnt have it so im going to have to buy it...
as my pb is a xls with climate control(auto) air..
so after more looking i do indeed dont have this sensor mmmm dam u mitsubishi it is never easy

when u get one dave you have to change the body type in the rv listed here

http://faq.out-club.ru/download/pajero_ ... dex_M1.htm
coughy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Cowboy Dave on Wed Jan 21, 2015 6:36 pm

That first one on the other side does look very similar. It's hard to tell from the pics but if the empty plug is the same size and shape as the full one then that likely to be the one.

I stuck my sensor in and half expected something to happen all on its own - like ambient temp turning up on the scangauge- but of course it didn't.

Does your model have headlamp washers? I discovered recently that the relay spot for headlamp washers on mine is populated with wires and connectors so I'm going to try and trace those so see if they lead where they should. This could make a HID conversion a bit more viable.

Cowboy Dave

Postby coughy on Wed Jan 21, 2015 7:23 pm

yes mine does have headlight washers
im trying to read these wiring diagrams of mitsubishi but im having trouble working them out. :cry:
coughy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Cowboy Dave on Wed Jan 21, 2015 7:57 pm

I don't have any issues with following them - my issue is I wish they'd label the bloody plugs in the car with the numbers that appear in the manual. It would make life so much easier.

The one issue that did used to bug me about their diagrams is the little arrows. I used to mistake them for directional indicators of some sort whereas for the most part they are telling you whether the connection is a male or female join.

Cowboy Dave

Postby coughy on Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:41 pm

or a spare plug

Indicates that the terminal is a
spare one if the device is not provided

so yes i dont have the sensor so im going to have to pull apart the car again to have a good look now
shall make the wifey very upset AGAIN.
lol oh well only live once. bring on the week end
coughy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Cowboy Dave on Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:54 pm

I can't picture the Challenger grille but on the MN it can be off in all of 30 seconds. Well mine can anyway, it's been off and on so many times. :oops:

Cowboy Dave

Postby coughy on Sun Jan 25, 2015 8:47 am

so i found this behind the air con controls dave any ideas??
and this little one

for those ferriting around behind the radio
my question does the rv meter plug go back in to the harness or is it a jumper plug that conects to some other plug in the dash??
as i can see the rv plug of the grayish looking one in there..
wonder if i need a can adapter and a nother harness??
coughy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Cowboy Dave on Sun Jan 25, 2015 8:36 pm

I'm not sure mate but neither of those will plug straight into the back of the Rv meter I've got. I spent some time this arvo with an ml loom out of a wreck but have yet to find that circuit. I also got elbows deep in the dash of another MN with MMCS yesterday and today but didn't spot any good candidates. I'm hoping to spend some quality time tearing my own car down looking for the answer soon.

One other option with serious potential is connecting the CAN to the MMCS itself. The manual shows it functioning with some trip computer functions and the info screen suggests it at least collects mileage data. There are one or two pins vacant in the main plugs which are marked for CAN connection in the overseas manual. I'm tempted to try connecting those but suspect I would also have to obtain a different firmware disc to get the rest of it running. It would be cool though.

At some point I might move all our recent posts into their own thread since we're way off the original topic. Too hard for me on this ipad though.

Cowboy Dave

Postby coughy on Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:48 am

it looks to me the there is a can adapter which gets pluged in to the loom and then a nother harness comes from that to the rv
coughy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Cowboy Dave on Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:53 am

In the ml maybe but the MN it seems to be plugged directly to the loom. I can't remember the numbers too well from last night but plug c171? rings a bell. Should be grey anyway by the look of it.

Cowboy Dave

Postby Horratio on Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:58 am

Just a question about the Double Din factory unit described above. How does the factory microphone mounted in the roof plug into the factory head unit? I would like to use this microphone for a new dig options head unit. The dig options external microphone seems to be a 3.5mm standard headphone jack. Would be ideal if it is the same but can't see an obvious hole in the pics above.
Horratio

Postby coughy on Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:25 pm

no factory one is in the plug in back of unit in the original wiring
so a 3.5 mm plug will have to be modified or redesigned if you wont to use factory mic.
coughy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby coughy on Sat Jan 31, 2015 7:48 am

hay dave look at what i just found
it can connect to obd2 port
interesting http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/EXTNIX-6-2-M ... 0906212534