Oil Catch Can working

Engines, Gearboxes, Transfers, Tailshafts, Diffs, axles and CVs

Re: Oil Catch Can working

Postby mad992 on Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:29 pm

snoozy ive got the same set up mate works well dont it :!: :D
mad992

Postby Magoo on Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:33 pm

Installed a can as well , hopefully it works , cleaned out inter cooler which had about 100ml in it all going well
I think having the can is a good improvement for several reasons
Magoo

Postby big_bob_thefirst on Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:09 pm

I've had mine in for a while and went to drain it the other day. Nothing came out of the drain... Thinking it might b leaking out somewhere or there wasn't that much oil to start with???
I feel sorry for people who don't drink...
When they wake up in the morning, that's the best they're going to feel all day.
big_bob_thefirst
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Longranger1 on Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:41 am

big_bob_thefirst wrote:I've had mine in for a while and went to drain it the other day. Nothing came out of the drain... Thinking it might b leaking out somewhere or there wasn't that much oil to start with???

I think also that they reduce blowby when they fully run in after about 20-30000km's. I've noticed the same thing.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they do have some damned good ideas.

If it's feral, it's in peril.

MN turbo lag? What lag??

99% of lawyers give the rest a bad name.
Longranger1
Platinum Subscriber

Postby dan.batto on Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:43 am

big_bob_thefirst wrote:I've had mine in for a while and went to drain it the other day. Nothing came out of the drain... Thinking it might b leaking out somewhere or there wasn't that much oil to start with???

Mine took a while to get something out of it, now I'm always getting something! How long you had yours in you reckon?
dan.batto

Postby big_bob_thefirst on Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:09 am

Mayb 2 months now. I opened it and there was some residue but not a whole lot.
I feel sorry for people who don't drink...
When they wake up in the morning, that's the best they're going to feel all day.
big_bob_thefirst
Platinum Subscriber

Postby srb on Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:20 am

Snooozy wrote:this is what I found when I opened my catch can yesterday :shock:

it may only be a cheapy with stainless steel scourers to filter, but it works quite well.
It is also very easy to clean out with just a bit of turps & I can reuse the scourers.

click for full pic
Click to view larger picture

I drained about 100ml in total

I only travel short distance, so that would be the reason for the tan coulored oil (moisture build up due to not reaching working temp)

I'm sure glad that goo is not entering my inlet :twisted:

:-o WTF? Looks like you got a bit too excited there snoozy :lol:
I've never seen moisture in mine... Except when I forgot to close the drain tap once :roll:. I used to get quite a lot of oil build up after about 5k but of late Im finding less and less? I have just checked it after 7k and hardly a drop :shock: I have just on 29k in total on the clock. Oh and its a provent.
TO SEE HOW TO HAVE A TRIP OF A LIFE TIME v
http://www.exploroz.com/Members/281229. ... x#mptabs=2
http://www.flickr.com/photos/exploroz/

Only those who will risk going too far can possibly know how far they can go.
srb
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Magoo on Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:24 am

I have a question (which may b stupid) if u have the steel wool pads in there couldnt small pieces come a drift and suck into the turbo
Magoo

Postby DRdB on Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:22 am

Magoo wrote:I have a question (which may b stupid) if u have the steel wool pads in there couldnt small pieces come a drift and suck into the turbo

I had the same concern.
Regards Davis Ribot de Bressac
DRdB

Postby Magoo on Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:45 pm

Mine is just a can which can b drained but not opened and so far I have done 1000 odd ks and I checked the hose out of the can into the air intake and it is as clean as when I put it on , indicating that nothing is getting thru now ???? I hope
Magoo

Postby alan_blue on Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:07 pm

well did mine today, just got to get some scourers, what types are people using?
alan_blue

Postby alan_blue on Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:22 pm

another question,does it really matter if i used 1/2 inch tubing as its a tad smaller that the stock? only reason i used it was that the tank nipples were 1/2 inch? will it cause a problem?
alan_blue

Postby Snooozy on Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:50 pm

alan_blue wrote:well did mine today, just got to get some scourers, what types are people using?

I just use the stainless steel course ones (pics in earlier post)

alan_blue wrote:another question,does it really matter if i used 1/2 inch tubing as its a tad smaller that the stock? only reason i used it was that the tank nipples were 1/2 inch? will it cause a problem?

from what I understand it is best to have as close to original size as possible to prevent pressure build up in the crankcase
nasty things can happen if it gets too much pressure in the crank :o
Snooozy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby alan_blue on Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:01 pm

ok well i meausred the original and got 14mm and the hose i used is 12.7mm. The next size up is 15.8mm (5/8) so wondering if its best to be a little under size or over? any thoughts guys?
alan_blue

Postby ag9111 on Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:06 pm

Over
I love cats, but I couldn't eat a full one!

Mud is like unprotected sex
30 secs of fun for a lifetime of grief
ag9111
Platinum Subscriber

Postby mad992 on Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:28 pm

alan_blue wrote:ok well i meausred the original and got 14mm and the hose i used is 12.7mm. The next size up is 15.8mm (5/8) so wondering if its best to be a little under size or over? any thoughts guys?

ive gone under seems all good havent had any issues ;)
mad992

Postby alan_blue on Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:08 pm

i have ordered some 14mm hose tonight so should be the same as stock when it arrives from U.K
alan_blue

Postby Cowboy Dave on Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:27 pm

I was sure it was 16mm...
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby stefanos on Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:40 am

Cowboy Dave wrote:I was sure it was 16mm...

Yeap!!...16mm
stefanos

Postby dan.batto on Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:52 am

Mine is working well! After about 6 months I Left about 100ml of oil in a cup in Mooons tree! Sorry mate totally forgot about! Hope your tree doesn't get carbon build up and stunt it's growth :lol:
dan.batto

Postby alan_blue on Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:20 pm

well i have measuered it with verniers and its not 16 its 14mm guys so dont know what is going on there?
alan_blue

Postby sarice on Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:59 pm

Pulled the egr system to pieces today to see what it looks like inside since adding my provent about 30K ago. Looking down the inlet from under the EGR valve there is a layer of bone dry carbon about 1mm thick. Had a few limps even with the one way valve in the map line so pulled the blank out as well and am going to run some FTC decarboniser from the CEM website to see if it cleans it up at all.
sarice

Postby Brayden's dad on Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:01 pm

Ok....just finished installing my Provent this afternoon. 570 km's on the clock.

I had to pick up my young bloke after installation and I lifted the bonnet when we got home to check if all was ok. Everything seemed fine so, of curiosity, I unscrewed the Provent lid to have a peek inside....after a 25km drive, there was visible oil in there already!!! I nearly fell over!!! It wasn't much - just a drop or 2 on the inside of the filter and a smear on the inside of the entry cyclone - but it was there. It was the visible stuff on the inside of the filter that alarmed me.

Regards,
Troy
"Apart from the sanitation, the medicine, education, wine, public order, irrigation, roads, the fresh water system and public health - WHAT have the Romans ever done for us??"
Brayden's dad

Postby Tim007 on Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:13 pm

Brayden's dad wrote:Ok....just finished installing my Provent this afternoon. 570 km's on the clock.

I had to pick up my young bloke after installation and I lifted the bonnet when we got home to check if all was ok. Everything seemed fine so, of curiosity, I unscrewed the Provent lid to have a peek inside....after a 25km drive, there was visible oil in there already!!! I nearly fell over!!! It wasn't much - just a drop or 2 on the inside of the filter and a smear on the inside of the entry cyclone - but it was there. It was the visible stuff on the inside of the filter that alarmed me.

Regards,
Troy

HI Troy,

I have my hoses and looking to tackle the fitting of the thing this week. Do you have any pics on how you mounted it?
Any one else who reads this and has pics to share detailing how they fitted it would be awesome. I am not much of a fabricator so every pic will help.
Keen to get amongst it!!
Tim007

Postby ag9111 on Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:24 pm

Tim007 wrote:I have my hoses and looking to tackle the fitting of the thing this week. Do you have any pics on how you mounted it?
Any one else who reads this and has pics to share detailing how they fitted it would be awesome. I am not much of a fabricator so every pic will help.

Read back. 14 pages of pics and detail :roll:
I love cats, but I couldn't eat a full one!

Mud is like unprotected sex
30 secs of fun for a lifetime of grief
ag9111
Platinum Subscriber

PreviousNext

Return to Drive Train Components