Harmonic balancer stuffed/oil leak

Engines, Gearboxes, Transfers, Tailshafts, Diffs, axles and CVs

Re: Harmonic balancer stuffed/oil leak

Postby 5immo on Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:36 am

no big trips, av 15k-20k a year. I must check my service history but i think the belts where replaced at the 90k service
5immo

Postby viking shippy on Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:01 am

It's an easy thing to keep an eye on with a torch their should be a 7-8 mm gap between the pulley and the timming cover and the fount face of the pulley should be flush..and no rubber showing.....another biggy is the subtle squeak.
viking shippy

Harmonic balancer stuffed/oil leak

Postby mattz on Sun Apr 03, 2016 4:31 am

I changed my harmonic balanced yesterday and seeing this thread seems to have the most information on replacing the harmonic balancer I thought I'd add a bit more.

Recently whilst working on my car I discovered my harmonic balancer wasn't running true. From underneath,while running, you could see the belts that run through the HB were wobbling around. Like running through a buckled bike wheel is the easiest way to describe it.

It was a pretty straight forward job.
Remove radiator, shroud and fan assembly.
Before loosening the belts I thought I'd try and crack the HB nut while there was still some tension on it,thinking this would aid in keeping the HB from turning......wrong.
With the handbrake on, in gear and a 4ft steel pipe over a breaker bar there was just to much movement in the whole engine assembly to loosen the nut. There was give in the engine mounts plus you're also turning the engine over and the nut is done up bloody tight.......as it should be.
Looking at the HB there are two threaded holes so I found a bolt to match the thread and bolted a chain to the HB and then wrapped it around the chassis to keep it rigid.
Like this.........

View from above

Click to view larger picture

View from below.

Once it was secured the nut came undone easily.......still needed the piece of pipe over the breaker bar.

The HB came off easily then and it was just a matter of lining up the key way and sliding the new HB on the shaft and reassembling everything.

The dampening rubber had started to seperate/crack and this is what caused it to wobble. Luckily I got onto it early and it wasn't bad enough to hit the timing cover and rub a hole in it like some others have done.
THE ONLY DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A MAN AND A BOY IS
THE PRICE OF HIS TOYS
mattz

Postby pikey on Mon Apr 04, 2016 5:42 pm

210,000km on the 07ML HB never replaced. Might need to investigate a little I think. Great info Mattz.
pikey

Postby RHKTriton on Mon Apr 04, 2016 6:29 pm

210k? Murphy has missed your patch! :lol:

Is yours petrol or diesel? It seems diesels give the HBs a tougher time.

I got the Power bond unit off an eBay seller when mine went a while back and it seems to be much better made than the OEM. Time will tell.
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby pikey on Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:22 pm

RHKTriton wrote:210k? Murphy has missed your patch! :lol:

Is yours petrol or diesel? It seems diesels give the HBs a tougher time.

I got the Power bond unit off an eBay seller when mine went a while back and it seems to be much better made than the OEM. Time will tell.

Diesel, Had the gearbox rebuilt
at 190,000 did the clutch at the same time, other than the manifold issues(EGR mod now) trouble free motoring.
So far
pikey

Postby RHKTriton on Thu Apr 07, 2016 8:06 am

Touch wood - mitsis seem to be pretty reliable overall.
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby carrrake on Mon May 14, 2018 5:55 pm

This is probably is the best thread.

So i brought this stupid Powerbond Harmonic balancer from Dayco. Good price. Trouble is there is no threaded holes,in hex or any other rigid means of holding this HB while i torque the washer and bolt on. Taking off the OEM was piss easy with a homemade bar. Installing this looks to be a nightmare

I figure the only way is to wrap rubber around the outside and use a chain wrench. Has anyone installed this little unit and recommend any tricks?????

carrrake
Platinum Subscriber

Postby RHKTriton on Mon May 14, 2018 8:52 pm

Manual gearbox? Top gear and handbrake on.

Auto? Duplicate holes like in the OEM.

Don't know if there is a spot you could jam the ring gear on the fly wheel?

What you could try, is get a large block of wood, cut out a half circle to match the pulley.

Then get some rubber or leather to jam between the wood & pulley to increase friction.

Jack the front of the vehicle and let the pulley rest on the block. Hopefully this will provide sufficient grip to torque up against.

Saw one trick where a mechanic filled a cylinder with rope on a petrol donk, however I'd be loathed to stick anything into a diesel.
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby carrrake on Tue May 15, 2018 8:01 am

Of course! Mine is manual. Sometimes the best solution is the most obvious but you end up overthinking it
carrrake
Platinum Subscriber

Postby boatpc on Sun Nov 18, 2018 7:22 am

Well its been awhile since I've been on NT but the time has come to ask for some help.
My harmonic balancer has separated an needs replacing.
I've managed to pick up the same one as carrrake above with no threaded brace mount so i'll hopefully just first gear handbrake it to speck.

Now my need for help is with the torque speck of the bolt on the 3.2L
The only value i found seemed high so though best to ask here first .@ 323Nm Page 65 here
http://www.mitsubishilinks.com/fsm/paje ... diesel.pdf
Also suggest a few drops of oil on the cleaned thread too, i this right.

Any info would be appreciated.
boatpc

Postby RHKTriton on Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:17 am

They do have an insane torque spec. I just did it as tight as possible past what my wrench would measure. Hasn't budged in over 100k.

Yes you do need a drop of oil on the thread.

In hindsight, I wish I'd drilled and tapped a couple of holes in the replacement unit, mainly for future removal.
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby boatpc on Sun Nov 18, 2018 2:01 pm

RHKTriton wrote:They do have an insane torque spec. I just did it as tight as possible past what my wrench would measure. Hasn't budged in over 100k.

Yes you do need a drop of oil on the thread.

In hindsight, I wish I'd drilled and tapped a couple of holes in the replacement unit, mainly for future removal.

Thanks RHKTriton.
What was your wrench rated to.
I don't own one as yet and it bloody expensive for the 300nm ones.
So would the 220 wench be suffice then 1\2 turn extra or do i need the proper one.

On the tapping some holes do you think any balance issues might arise.
Might think about doing mine.

Cheers
boatpc

Postby RHKTriton on Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:05 pm

My biggest wrench is only 210Nm but a long bar on a wrench didn't turn the bolt much more from memory.

I saw a suitable torque wrench at Total Tools a few months back, shortly after doing son's timing belt and it wasn't too badly priced, under $200 somewhere, from memory.

Re the HB drilling, the warranty aspect probably stopped me, however, as long as the two holes are symmetrical about the centre there shouldn't be any balance issues.

Being a ml we don't have to rip the bloody thing off again until it dies, unlike the poor buggers with rubber bands that have to be disassembled every 100k. :lol:
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby boatpc on Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:42 pm

Well that was a mission.

End up snapping both threaded holes in the old pulley when i tried mattz method above, i don't think i was pulling square enough so both tries cracked the casting :cry: .
Then i spent a day fabracobbling an indestructible brace that locked into the fins in the centre of the hub plus 2 holes for bolts to tie into the now stuff threads. This pulley was never going to win :lol: .

Was beginning to think i was going the wrong way until the bloody thing finally let go :)
Also managed to turn the motor backward in the process when originally trying, lucky i remembered reading something ages ago about this being bad, so off with the timing chain tensioner for a reset as recommended.
Oh and i also snapped one of the fan shroud clips when taking it off, epoxied back together now.

Now big thanks for your input RHKTriton and the recommendation for Total tools, this made me think of a few other mobs and i found Trade tools had a 60-300nm wrench for $119 :lol: , now i know its no mechanic grade tool but it'll do me just fine..

So cleaned all surfaces, oiled the thread and bolt surface, car in first gear, wrong :twisted: . Quick look at this thread ;) top gear 5th :roll:. Torqued it on, new belts and buttoned up the rest.

This is the second time mines been done now with the first @ 60k and this one @ 200k. I rekon every 100k i'll chuck in another for peace of mind, the squeaking is torture when they separate.

Well my triton is a pleasure to drive again and still feels the same as when i bought it.
Now i just need to replace the front diff solenoid :lol:
boatpc

Postby RHKTriton on Tue Nov 20, 2018 7:40 pm

Good stuff!

You'll find the Power Bond units are so much better quality than the Mitsi units that you should get a better life span before the next saga.
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby carrrake on Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:59 am

I know mechanics cop alot of flak for using pneumatic rattle guns on the crank pulley but its easy to see why. Zero mucking around loosening and tightening that bastard of a bolt
carrrake
Platinum Subscriber

Previous

Return to Drive Train Components