Harmonic balancer stuffed/oil leak

Engines, Gearboxes, Transfers, Tailshafts, Diffs, axles and CVs

Harmonic balancer stuffed/oil leak

Postby Pkucha on Thu Nov 10, 2011 2:53 pm

Have had a great run with very few minor issues for 124,000km now with my 06 3.2 GLXR until today (2months after warranty end). Hadn't used the car for two weeks since a Fraser Island trip. Found a small oil stain in garage today and had a quick look underneath. A fair bit of oil sprayed around front components.

Dropped off to my mechanic shortly after, it appears the harmonic balancer dampener has failed allowing the balancer to move back and come in contact with the timing cover wearing it away to a point where a pin size hole responsible for the leak has appeared near a sensor at bottom right of cover.

I was told best case scenario will require a new harmonic balancer and some alloy repair of the cover which will hopefully work. Worst case new timing cover as well requiring major parts removal/ lots of labour to access. Funny thing is the car made no noises as you would expect for such a failure.

Anyone had a similar issue or ideas on what it's going to cost worst case?
Pkucha

Re: Harmonic balancer stuffed/oil leak

Postby boatpc on Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:32 pm

i had a harmonic balancer replaced recently
made a real noticeable sound when the air con was engageing and i thought it was the belt squealing.
mine was a warranty fix so i cant help you there.
boatpc

Postby SecondEye on Thu Nov 10, 2011 7:06 pm

Actually thinking mine might be gone. round 2500k and up under acceleration im getting a rumble from the engine. even with the clutch in.
SecondEye

Postby Pkucha on Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:43 pm

Hmm did have a slight squealing months ago and thought it was the belt also. Auxillary belt got replaced at 120k service and seemed to fix it. Maybe wasn't the belt after all :shock:
Pkucha

Postby boatpc on Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:54 pm

Yea mine would squeal then disappear after awhile.
Was told by the mech there was a noticeable wobble in the balancer when running :shock:
Pays to get that supposed squeaky belt looked into
3.2 glx 08 with 60k when mine went
boatpc

Postby Pkucha on Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:13 pm

All sorted new harmonic balancer, and some steel putty to plug oil leak, hopefully holds. Outta warranty so $415 all up to fix. Harmonic balancer from a company in Wagga Wagga itemised price $145 on the bill for anyone who might need this done. SecondEye better get yours checked could have been worse for me if timing cover needed replacement.
Pkucha

Postby SecondEye on Sat Nov 19, 2011 4:47 pm

Actually mine has resolved itself. I reblanked egr adjusted the wastegate preload and tightened all my fittings (noted carbon marks on old blank radiating out from circle carbon print , may have been a leaking me thinks.)
However I now have a full complement of bolts washers and pins somewhere in the bottom of my engine bay. :|
SecondEye

Postby viking shippy on Sat Aug 17, 2013 5:06 pm

Ok this morning I was welcomed by a pool of oil on the drive
You can imagine the expletives about my dealer...the pope the queen ext
when you pay them good money to avoid this very situation...
anyways ....it turned out o be the harmonic balancer yes you guessed it slipped back whore a hole in the front of he timing Cain cover (cast alloy)....(to replace this is major surgery inc engine removal and the head and sump pan removal...
So I'm going to use a dremill to etch the minute hole and use Devcon epoxy alloy to repair the hole ...I'm not worried with this repair..
as I've used it quite a bit on outboard engines and I'm quite amassed at how long it lasts....its never failed again after the deavcon treatment..
Then it's of to Repco for a new HB via my dealer to ask why they didn't check the belts and HB..last service ..THE BELTS WERE CACTUS...THE HB WAS OBVIOUSLY DOING A WOBBLY and the front flanges out were of alignment and the rubber clearly seen to be protruding past he hub face see pictures
..i.e. the front of the hb components should be aligned flush not wobbling and no rubber forming a step.....you call also see in the bottom rh corner of the first photo the areas were the pulley wore through and made the pin hole the black in the wear spot is oil..
...my recommendation
if your coming up to or past 100k change your Harmonic balancer its on its way out...
It won't fix itself it will just go quiet and wear away your engine....in silence....after the noise stops after you've tightened the Belts...
yes I heard the squeak and did the belts...and thought it would be fine...doh
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
viking shippy

Postby 4wd26 on Sat Aug 17, 2013 5:12 pm

wouldn't this be covered by drive train warranty- which was 10 years ;)

just a thought before spending hard earned
Getting Out There
Sucks to be you, glad I bought a 3.2 :o
4wd26

Postby 4wd26 on Sat Aug 17, 2013 5:13 pm

sorry - just checked your shed- not the original owner- bugger :cry:
Getting Out There
Sucks to be you, glad I bought a 3.2 :o
4wd26

Postby glxrboy on Sat Aug 17, 2013 5:13 pm

Pkucha wrote:All sorted new harmonic balancer, and some steel putty to plug oil leak, hopefully holds. Outta warranty so $415 all up to fix. Harmonic balancer from a company in Wagga Wagga itemised price $145 on the bill for anyone who might need this done. SecondEye better get yours checked could have been worse for me if timing cover needed replacement.

Hey i had the exact same problem and the mechanic did the same thing put putty on the hole and it has held for a long time now so if he did it right it should be fine. Let me know how much its going to cost to fix it otherwise?
glxrboy

Postby viking shippy on Sat Aug 17, 2013 5:19 pm

4wd26 wrote:wouldn't this be covered by drive train warranty- which was 10 years ;)

just a thought before spending hard earned

Nah she's already in bits and I'm a second owner...
Oh yeh if any one does this yourself take the radiator out you need plenty of room
the truck in gear and a 1.5mtr breaker bar and your truck on ramps...the nut cracked when I put my feet on the bbar and my back against the wall...and pushed till veins popped out of my neck..then crack TFFT
viking shippy

Postby gauci204 on Sun Aug 18, 2013 5:30 pm

i think i might get mine replaced as im starting to get belt noises and 1 of the drive belts is more loose than the other.

can you get parts from repco etc or is it an OEM part only?
gauci204

Postby viking shippy on Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:57 pm

gauci204 wrote:i think i might get mine replaced as im starting to get belt noises and 1 of the drive belts is more loose than the other.

can you get parts from repco etc or is it an OEM part only?

Bursons have em..
You can see clearly if your balancer is on the way out if it wobbles with the engine running..and looking from underneath the belts are not aligned ..this is we're the squeek comes from and the flact that the rubber in the balancer is worn..the flanges at the front should be flush also..
viking shippy

Postby Cowboy Dave on Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:01 pm

There was an ebay seller selling aftermarket belts last time i looked. Dayco brand maybe?
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby viking shippy on Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:51 pm

Thanks Dave I have a set of dayco belts ready to go...
I've ordered a new balancer from Mitsubishi for $290 not much more that aftermarket jobs ..its just $30 more....and a new mounting bolt as recommended by mits...Im going to clean out the inter cooler and grease the air con idler pulley bearing whilst I'm at it..whilst I'm waiting for parts..
viking shippy

Postby Pkucha on Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:58 pm

Precision parts at Wagga Wagga is where mine came from. $145 and the blurb on website makes it sound better than oem. I'm at 158000km now with the steel putty and still no leaks so pretty happy. Funny my issues happened shortly after the belts were changed. New tension must of been enough to finish off the old HB.
Pkucha

Postby gauci204 on Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:35 pm

Pkucha wrote:Precision parts at Wagga Wagga is where mine came from. $145 and the blurb on website makes it sound better than oem. I'm at 158000km now with the steel putty and still no leaks so pretty happy. Funny my issues happened shortly after the belts were changed. New tension must of been enough to finish off the old HB.

i only recently changed my belts maybe 10k ago. ive been told that you should try to get "matched belts" when you run a double belt like in the triton. ive never heard of it before.

at $230 ill just replace it and be done with it. im ordering the radiator and turbo this week, so will just add it to the list :( and fit it all at the same time.

ill check the idlers and fan clutch while im at it, hopefully the parts list doesnt get much longer.
gauci204

Postby viking shippy on Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:21 am

Matched belts : yes it is so they stretch at the same rate if ..they were different they possibly could put uneven pressure-on the harmonic balancer and only useful when you have twin belts running parallel to each other...at the very leased get the same brand ....and if possible the same matched serial number..
viking shippy

Postby viking shippy on Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:32 am

Mits $313 trade price inc bolt
Bursons $240 trade price-powerbond
Repco $270 trade price -powerbond
Precision aus made $190 delivered manufacturer of powerbond..
viking shippy

Postby Tom B on Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:52 am

gauci204 wrote:
at $230 ill just replace it and be done with it. im ordering the radiator and turbo this week, so will just add it to the list :( and fit it all at the same time.

ill check the idlers and fan clutch while im at it, hopefully the parts list doesnt get much longer.

Can't be as bad as my parts list which includes new clutch, rear main seal, crankshaft sensor seal, radiator, intercooler as well as a new HB.
And somehow there is still not a drop of oil on the driveway :/
No more Triton....

Now where did I leave that Patrol ;)
Tom B

Postby gauci204 on Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:24 pm

viking shippy wrote:Mits $313 trade price inc bolt
Bursons $240 trade price-powerbond
Repco $270 trade price -powerbond
Precision aus made $190 delivered manufacturer of powerbond..

where can you get the precision aus made jobbie from?
gauci204

Postby gauci204 on Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:23 pm

gauci204

Postby viking shippy on Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:29 pm

Precision parts google it...
viking shippy

Postby 5immo on Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:33 am

I got a 135k service coming up, should i get the harmonic balancer replaced? I dont have any problems yet like oil leaks or noises etc but should i pay safe cause to me it seems like it could start being a common problem
5immo

Next

Return to Drive Train Components