broken cv joint

Engines, Gearboxes, Transfers, Tailshafts, Diffs, axles and CVs

Re: broken cv joint

Postby Homer on Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:46 am

Bursons are different and significantly better than Repco I think you'll find....at least they were when they all first came on the market.

Also some issue with the ABS ring on a Repco from memory :?
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Everything you want to find or know about the Triton - click here
Easy how to search on this site - click here
Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby Homer on Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:55 am

jop wrote:
Homer wrote:
A couple of times we've had them go just turning onto the track :? but suspect that was due to ride height (spacers - you know who you are :twisted: ) and possible previous damage....bloody Victorians :lol:

Didn't the ride height make it a royal pain in the coin to get the cv seated properly as well?

You aren't kidding there :evil: only with the passo side though AFAIK.

There could also be other factors at play there as sometimes the taper on the actual diff (aftermarket locker/Lokka) can be the issue with the C clip not compressing...
Not sure if that was the case or not in this instance and I think the offending party will be too humiliated to pipe up to let us know :P :twisted: although he has a 'short' temper and may fire in a rebuttal :P
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby George Kyro on Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:29 am

"I think the offending party will be too humiliated to pipe up to let us know although he has a 'short' temper and may fire in a rebuttal "

Offending party ?
Humiliated ?
Short Temper ?

You musnt of read what he wrote further up ?
So i guess someone can take a stab at you on a public forum and you'd take it like a B?
well thats you not me.

As for the cv's it was definitely ride height.
Im lowering them to 585 until i source out some aftermarket uca's and a diff drop kit.
These should help with this problem so hopefully once there in it gives my cv's a bit more of a longer lifespan on the "mall crawler" :?
BROKE BACK MUD BUM CHUM RUNNERS CLUB
George Kyro

Postby 4wd26 on Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:36 am

George- quite a few here have busted CV's and in this instance they are infering to a person short of stature, that has not posted in this thread yet.

it was noted when changing out his cv that it was aweful high, and it was nearly imposible to reinstal the cv, using the usual method in Fraz's "how to"

please don't read too much into posts, sometimes things can be missunderstood, especially some of the banter from "long standing members" as too their humour :roll:
Getting Out There
Sucks to be you, glad I bought a 3.2 :o
4wd26

Postby srb on Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:39 am

Ohhh here we go again.... Down boy down. :roll:
TO SEE HOW TO HAVE A TRIP OF A LIFE TIME v
http://www.exploroz.com/Members/281229. ... x#mptabs=2
http://www.flickr.com/photos/exploroz/

Only those who will risk going too far can possibly know how far they can go.
srb
Platinum Subscriber

Postby al coholic on Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:43 am

:lol: :lol: :lol:
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything important, it's too late to stop reading it.
al coholic

Postby Homer on Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:55 am

No George I was referring to someone else...someone I helped change their CV if you'd read what I wrote.

Yes George it was your ride height as was told to you would happen by various members when you posted in the MR thread and paid no attention...don't make me go back and find it for you ;)

No George diff drop and UC arm will not dramatically help you protect your drive train and will probably offer little to no off road advantage anyway.

Have a read of my post up further on page 3 after you first asked about CV lifespan...it is on the money ;) but you are more than welcome to do your own thing and let us know how it goes as we are always interested to see and hear how various mods work out when put into off road testing :)

Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby George Kyro on Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:28 am

Homer wrote:No George I was referring to someone else...someone I helped change their CV if you'd read what I wrote.

Yes George it was your ride height as was told to you would happen by various members when you posted in the MR thread and paid no attention...don't make me go back and find it for you ;)

No George diff drop and UC arm will not dramatically help you protect your drive train and will probably offer little to no off road advantage anyway.

Have a read of my post up further on page 3 after you first asked about CV lifespan...it is on the money ;) but you are more than welcome to do your own thing and let us know how it goes as we are always interested to see and hear how various mods work out when put into off road testing :)

Cheers Homer, I remember the thread quite well. I did also say that i was willing to see just how long the cv's will last me if i was to leave them at that height just to see how often i would have to change them at that height.
So 20,000 kay is pretty much it.

As for the diff drop and uca, i will be wiling to put them in some day just to see whether they do last longer with those mods but in saying that it isnt a cheap task either.
At 1400 bucks for the kit and then install, it may be a little pricey but i remember stefano saying that hs a sitting virtually flat now and he hasnt broken a cv since so I'm willing to give it a go.

I know there not legal either but hey thats the road i'm willing to take, not everybody cares whether there car is 100%.

I will be sure to let you know how it all goes and if they do help with this problem.
Cheers ;)
George Kyro

Postby Homer on Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:37 am

No worries George, mods like these are the reason a lot of people come to this forum.

Be aware that Stefano spent significant time and money manufacturing his own diff drop uca modification as he does to all of his mods (and I think he had a couple of stabs at it to get it right if my fading memory is correct :? ).

He engineers them very well and to suit his individual vehicle from what I can see, so an off the shelf aftermarket mod may not give you the same results...will be good to know if it does though.

Be wary of some of the big Thai stuff as they have no regard for safety and you will often see their monster 4wd's aren't even 4wd anymore due to the issues they create building them...

Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby George Kyro on Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:56 am

This is true, i have spoken to him a number of times and he did say that a lot of the manufacturing was done by himself as he seems to be a very talented individual.

As for the thai stuff i couldnt agree with you more about them being on the unsafe side but besides the uca's making contact with coil at full droop i cant really see what else could be an issue with them so i'll give em a go and keep you guys posted.
George Kyro

Postby al coholic on Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:37 am

George Kyro wrote:
I did also say that i was willing to see just how long the cv's will last me if i was to leave them at that height just to see how often i would have to change them at that height.
So 20,000 kay is pretty much it.

Mate, can I ask why you have it stuck in your head that a CV should last a certain amount of Km's??? I don't know how many more times it can be explained to you??

It depends on things like ride height (as you've found out) droop, full lock, momentum, the obstacle you are trying to climb and plenty of others. It has ZERO to do with how many Km's you've travelled :?
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything important, it's too late to stop reading it.
al coholic

Postby Cowboy Dave on Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:37 am

I can see all sorts of potential issues. How about crap steel or dodgy welds for example? Wouldn't like to find out at 110kmh when I hit a bump on a freeway bridge. At least if you're going that way buy them from Superior Engineering in Australia so you have someone to sue if it all goes bad.

I'm still unsure on the motivation for extra lift. Are you dragging your diffs on a regular basis so that clearance is a big issue?

All that extra height comes at a potential stability cost too. You only have to look at our most recent rollover to observe the possibilities there.

I'm not giving you grief on this personally George, as you're not alone in pursuing extra height, but I still haven't ever had anyone persuade me that the whole thing is a good idea. I can see that some think it looks better, but beyond that, what is the need?

The legal ramifications of a mod like this are also pretty heavy if it all goes bad.

I have the standard 2 inch lift, have driven places that downright scared me, and have managed to keep my vehicle mostly (I would say wholly) legal. And (touch wood) haven't blown a CV yet. Granted I'm not as much of a kamikaze as Geek and others but it is possible to get good life out of them if operating within known parameters.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby George Kyro on Tue Oct 22, 2013 3:12 pm

Alcoholic - dont have it stuck in my head that my cv's are going to last me 20,000 Kays. I purely used it as an example for myself and to let others know that given the amount of wheeling i do added with the ride height i have and the type of terrain i muster up against that that was roughly the amount of kilometres i got out of it.

I understand that that is also nothing to swear by either as if i left it at that height again once cv's were changed it could happen to me the second i stepped out in the bush with a new cv too.

You sound quite caught up on the whole kilometres thing but it was just a way to let everybody know that thats what i got out of them at 610 mm. Thats all! :roll:

Dave, once again you bring up some very true points and i couldnt agree with you more about the whole build quality issue from products like zaw4x4 and other thai/overseas components. But unless someone on here has bought them , tried them , tested them and had them fail in the australian outback or for our applications then i would be more than keen to buy these and try something different to see if it works so we can all see whether we are just falling victim to australian suppliers and manufacturers saying dont go buying these products because there crap not to mention illegal and thats why they havent made anything for our vehicles because business wise it doesn't seem worthy for them to spend thousands of dollars and put it in production because of this.

Also besides that can any of you well experienced members say you have purchased these products personally besides saying that because they are made in thailand that they most probably will be crap or dangerous unsafe etc???

The reason i want to try these things Dave and am so adamant about it is because i am not one to stick with the norm. The norm has been tried tested and proven and if nothing i try will work then at least i know gathered by all of your experiences what my vehicles limits are.

But up until then i do want to see what i can personally achieve above the norm, and am willing to try these products since by the looks of things no body else has here.

And lastly i think our vehicles are one of the most underrated 4x4's in the 4x4 community. I know that many of you guys can get to area's that even higher lifted vehicles with bigger tyres can get to too and that it comes down to how good of a driver you are, line you choose and heights/ clearances of your vehicle etc.

You got to remember, im not going for anything crazy height wise. I want that extra inch :P because I've barely been stuck anywhere at that height and thats where i want to keep it.

Hope that clears it all up for you fellas.
Once i buy them and try them and test them to destruction or success you guys will definitely be the first ones to know.
More encouragement, less negativity :D
Peace!
George Kyro

Postby mattz on Tue Oct 22, 2013 3:53 pm

George stick your head underneath the front wheel arch and have a look at your current control arms and have a look at how they are built,what they do and what will collapse if one doesn't cut it.

I'm all for pushing the boundaries but the build quality of the aftermarket control arms just doesn't do it for me.
I'd hate to be towing my caravan at 100 km/hr on a dirt hwy in the middle of Australia with my family on board to find a cheap uca wasn't up to standard. The consequences could be dire.
Remember these are not a static part.

If there was something like stefanos uca on the market I would consider it after a lot of thought and research.
This ain't a pissing contest......your life could be on the line.
Or an insurance co could reject a claim after you've written off your triton and you're left with 4 1/2 years of repayments and no wheels :roll:

You might call this post negative :roll: but I'd hate to say "go for it"and hear you've put it into a bridge at 110km because a cheap uca let go.
I know it's not what you want to hear but that's what forums are all about.
Listen to everyone and then make an informed decision.
THE ONLY DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A MAN AND A BOY IS
THE PRICE OF HIS TOYS
mattz

Postby har05l on Tue Oct 22, 2013 4:02 pm

108k km's travelled, still running oem cvs, lost count of the hard core tracks I've put the old girl through :twisted:

Did hard core unlifted and the same lifted and an extra inch is worth nothing :lol: , my triton has gone further than my 7" lifted 4runner did FFS :lol:

I agree with CD in regards to legalities, you may want to be different and look outside the box but if you were involved in an accident and heaven forbid somebody was killed, with your illegal mods would it be worth going to jail for :? , I think not.

I take my young fella on a lot of trips with me and safety is always number one when he's with me ;)

Food for thought
[censored]
har05l
Platinum Subscriber

Postby mattz on Tue Oct 22, 2013 4:12 pm

Homer wrote:
jop wrote:
Homer wrote:
A couple of times we've had them go just turning onto the track :? but suspect that was due to ride height (spacers - you know who you are :twisted: ) and possible previous damage....bloody Victorians :lol:

Didn't the ride height make it a royal pain in the coin to get the cv seated properly as well?

You aren't kidding there :evil: only with the passo side though AFAIK.

There could also be other factors at play there as sometimes the taper on the actual diff (aftermarket locker/Lokka) can be the issue with the C clip not compressing...
Not sure if that was the case or not in this instance and I think the offending party will be too humiliated to pipe up to let us know :P :twisted: although he has a 'short' temper and may fire in a rebuttal :P

George Kyro wrote:"I think the offending party will be too humiliated to pipe up to let us know although he has a 'short' temper and may fire in a rebuttal "

Offending party ?
Humiliated ?
Short Temper ?

You musnt of read what he wrote further up ?
So i guess someone can take a stab at you on a public forum and you'd take it like a B?
well thats you not me.

As for the cv's it was definitely ride height.
Im lowering them to 585 until i source out some aftermarket uca's and a diff drop kit.
These should help with this problem so hopefully once there in it gives my cv's a bit more of a longer lifespan on the "mall crawler" :?

4wd26 wrote:George- quite a few here have busted CV's and in this instance they are infering to a person short of stature, that has not posted in this thread yet.

it was noted when changing out his cv that it was aweful high, and it was nearly imposible to reinstal the cv, using the usual method in Fraz's "how to"

please don't read too much into posts, sometimes things can be missunderstood, especially some of the banter from "long standing members" as too their humour :roll:

And what wrong with being short? :evil:

If I was short it wouldn't bother me.......but as you're all aware I'm a 6'6" giant.........anything is possible on the internet. :lol:
THE PRICE OF HIS TOYS
mattz

Postby srb on Tue Oct 22, 2013 4:18 pm

:lol::lol:
TO SEE HOW TO HAVE A TRIP OF A LIFE TIME v
http://www.exploroz.com/Members/281229. ... x#mptabs=2
http://www.flickr.com/photos/exploroz/

Only those who will risk going too far can possibly know how far they can go.
srb
Platinum Subscriber

Postby George Kyro on Tue Oct 22, 2013 4:59 pm

All these a very valid points and by the looks of things i may have to consider other options. Considering i want to achieve more lift for better clearances and not have my cv's at an angle that are going to bust up everytime i head out i may have to look at other options.

By the sound of things the oem or bursons cv's also seem like the go for now.

Thanks for the input fella's and if i come up with any other options i will definitely let you guys know ! ;)
George Kyro

Postby har05l on Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:52 pm

George, other than selling the Mn and getting a ML and doing a live axle swap you basically have your hands tied :roll:

The only other option is moving O/S to Thailand :lol:
[censored]
har05l
Platinum Subscriber

Postby motoz on Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:07 pm

2" body lift and 34" tyres.

Problem solved...
One day your life will flash before your eyes. Will it be a good show ???
motoz
Platinum Subscriber

Postby macca002 on Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:24 pm

Another option is to go spherical CV joints. RCV does them, and they are pretty much bomb proof. If you want to go big, wheel hard, and turn big rubber whilst you're doing it, then they are worth the look.

Some of the top level Fink racers run these CVs and they take a complete flogging on high speed woops for hours on end and roll back on the trailers afterwards with sweet fa play in them.

They are a bit on the pricey side (around 2k for the 2) but to put things in perspective, they are a similar price as a set of UCAs and diff drop from Thailand. The big difference is that these CVs are chromoly whereas gear from Thailand is made from old Milo tins.

The lifetime no questions asked warranty on them is also pretty hard to pass up IMO.

If you can break an RCV joint wheeling in a triton, I will buy you a beer or two - because you are going to have one bloody wild story to share!
macca002

Postby stefanos on Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:58 am

As all we know the Triton front end have limits......mine have a lot lot lot of personal work,but I finished (the only thing is a mod to dissconect somehow the sway bar........but will see).....
As I said Thai products 2 to 3 are really crap......if you don;t have fully details DON'T BUY ANYTHING!!!

I want the 3 of 4 wheels on the ground.....so I must mod the rear end now!! :D :D
stefanos

Postby mattz on Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:28 am

macca002 wrote:Another option is to go spherical CV joints. RCV does them, and they are pretty much bomb proof. If you want to go big, wheel hard, and turn big rubber whilst you're doing it, then they are worth the look.

Some of the top level Fink racers run these CVs and they take a complete flogging on high speed woops for hours on end and roll back on the trailers afterwards with sweet fa play in them.

They are a bit on the pricey side (around 2k for the 2) but to put things in perspective, they are a similar price as a set of UCAs and diff drop from Thailand. The big difference is that these CVs are chromoly whereas gear from Thailand is made from old Milo tins.

The lifetime no questions asked warranty on them is also pretty hard to pass up IMO.

If you can break an RCV joint wheeling in a triton, I will buy you a beer or two - because you are going to have one bloody wild story to share!

Unless things have changed in the last 6-12 months........they don't make them for the triton.

BUT...... Stronger CVs may create more problems though.
A stronger CV will transfer the stress further down the line and the next thing down the line is the front diff. :o
I find it easier and cheaper to carry a couple of spare drive shafts than to carry a spare diff. It's also easier and quicker to change a drive shaft than a diff. Believe me......I know. :roll: :lol:

I, like many others here ,use the cv as a fuse to protect the drive line.
And if they were 2k a pair.......it's a pretty reasonable price considering that about the price of OEM ones.

Here is a previous discussion on the RCV gear.
viewtopic.php?t=12657

We just need to convince Stefanos to put he's beautiful engineering skills to go use and get him to produce his control arms for us. :lol:
I'm still amazed at your talent Stefanos. 8-)
THE PRICE OF HIS TOYS
mattz

Postby al coholic on Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:28 am

macca002 wrote:

That's correct, they would be a very strong CV ;)

But install them and every time you blow your front diff out wheeling, you can buy me a beer or 2 :twisted:
I might actually become an alcoholic then :lol: :lol:
al coholic

Postby borngeek on Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:22 am

:lol: :lol: :lol:
As it is quite important, I did the math. Took me a couple minutes to fire up the scientific calculator and get myself prepared for the outcome.
With just over 91,000km's on the clock... I found a CV lasts me 6500km's (rounded up). Pretty damn good I reckon. :D

//Could have bought a couple sets of non existent RCV's, and half a inch of diffs for that. :lol:
Don't be a tool, use this: FORUM DIRECTORY

Did you search first?

FL/LSD FTW

Sucks to be you, glad I bought a 3.2 :lol:
borngeek
Platinum Subscriber

PreviousNext

Return to Drive Train Components