Noisy bearing

Engines, Gearboxes, Transfers, Tailshafts, Diffs, axles and CVs

Noisy bearing

Postby acecom on Tue May 22, 2012 12:08 pm

Just had a call from the dealer to say that they can't tell if the noise is coming from the thrust, spicket or gearbox bearing, if its the gearbox they will do it on warranty but I dont want to give them $1100 plus parts if its not covered, would rather give it to a local mechanic. The noise disappears when the clutch is in which makes me think it wont be the thrust bearing. Do they have a spicket bearing or just a bush on the ML model. Also they want $550 to adjust the valve tappets, does that sound too dear
Cheers Gary
acecom

Re: Noisy bearing

Postby Robo1 on Tue May 22, 2012 4:59 pm

Hi Acecom Had my tappits adjusted cost was at trade so dear because they have to remove inlet manifold & injectors to get the tappit cover off the seals for the injectors were over $100.00. Noise is in the gearbox we used to call it Roll over noise when your foot is on the clutch nothing moves in the box Regards Robo
Robo1

Postby acecom on Tue May 22, 2012 5:34 pm

Thanks for your help Robbo
acecom

Postby fraz91 on Tue May 22, 2012 5:46 pm

Depends on what the noise is. If it's a squealing/high-pitched noise then it could be a bearing. If it sounds like gears rolling over one another then it's rollover.

See the build up of my old Triton here.
fraz91

Noisy bearing

Postby Joe on Tue May 22, 2012 5:55 pm

fraz91 wrote:".."......If it's a squealing/high-pitched noise then it could be a bearing.........

Or the wife :lol:

I had issues with an NP Pajero clutch years ago and they pulled the 'it might not be covered by warranty' crap on me too. I was pretty sure it was a misaligned centre bearing but i couldn't be bothered with the shit fight so I ended up leaving it :roll:
Dad
----
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.
Joe

Postby acecom on Tue May 22, 2012 6:33 pm

Could be the wife Joe, but not really a whining noise, cheaper to get it fixed than payout the missus though.
acecom

Postby Klink on Mon May 28, 2012 12:00 pm

acecom wrote: The noise disappears when the clutch is in

Ive got the exact same issue. Gave it to the mechanic for a services and he pointed it out to me. Its only a year old and that noise hase been there for months but I thought that was normal. Mechanic is saying posibbly bearings. Does that sound right to you guys. Im gonna book with Mitsu to look at. What a pain :roll:
Its Klink..........not Clink!
Klink

Postby Harro on Mon May 28, 2012 12:48 pm

G'day Boyze dont know what a noisy wife sounds like as I have never been married , but have had loud ladies in the toolroom haha. My Clubcab (12 months old ) has had that noise from day one. It is the gearbox not spigot or clutch brg but I figure with the Mitsi 10 year / 160 klm Warranty if it breaks then they can just fix it.
Harro

Postby SmithyXRT on Mon May 28, 2012 1:09 pm

I had the same noise when new and told them when had first service, told me was selector fork sticking and said that they lubricated it. Noise came back about a day later so I pulled the rubber boot off and sprayed some inox in there no noise since 40,000kms later.
SmithyXRT

Postby Mooons on Mon May 28, 2012 3:48 pm

SmithyXRT wrote:I had the same noise when new and told them when had first service, told me was selector fork sticking and said that they lubricated it. Noise came back about a day later so I pulled the rubber boot off and sprayed some inox in there no noise since 40,000kms later.

Spot on Smithy that's how I fixed mine
When you point your finger cos your plan fell through
Theres three more fingers pointing back at you
Mooons
Platinum Subscriber

Postby smlr on Mon May 28, 2012 6:21 pm

Mine is a year old & i too have noticed it is noisy & when i put the clutch in it goes away. I have also noticed that when the car has warmed up, it is not noisy.
smlr

Postby acecom on Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:16 pm

Thanks for the replies, the ute is at the dealers getting the bearings in the gearbox replaced a new clutch and the tappets adjusted. $1700 for a clutch and tappet adjustment, turned out to be an expensive warranty claim. Had the ute for a week and still don't no when I get it back.
acecom

Postby Lee-thal on Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:25 pm

If the Bearings in the gearbox are noisy that would be a Warranty thing??? Surely they would charge Mits to remove the gearbox, i would think you would just pay for a clutch and machine.
Lee-thal

Postby mic k on Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:12 pm

I have the same noise not all the time @ just 15k km ,6 months old must take note of temp.
mic k

Postby acecom on Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:58 pm

They replaced the input shaft and all the bearings under warranty but ended up costing $1450.00 for clutch kit assembly and tappet adjustment. All good now, hooking up the van and off to Longreach and surrounds for 5 weeks. Cheers Gary
acecom

Postby kumarsan on Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:51 pm

I also experience same noise due to bearings.
kumarsan

Postby Sean990 on Thu Aug 12, 2021 4:31 pm

hey guys,
I've got a similar issue to what people describe here with my 2014 2.5l 4x4 - rattle noise when the clutch pedal is out while idling, it goes away when the foot is on the clutch.
The noise first developed about 5-10,000km after I had the clutch replaced at 80,000 (she had an abusive ex ;) )
I returned it to the dealer and they diagnosed it as a dodgy clutch fork, new clutch fork fitted and happy days...
Unit it started rattling again after about 5,000km. The rattling is now very apparent when idling (sometimes it doesn't rattle when its warm but more often than not I can hear it). I've spoken to the dealer in anticipation of booking it in to be replaced under the parts warranty (12 month / 20,000km) but they are saying its likely an issue with the gearbox (worn bearings/ excessive play) which is causing the problem.

To me this seems like they are just trying to shut me up (its only done 100,000km) but is there any merit to this?
Could it be related to the instillation of the clutch or (re)instillation of the fork?
I'm hoping to be armed with some info on this so I can appropriately filter the dealers BS.

thanks in advance
Sean990

Return to Drive Train Components