Penrite new SIN diesel oil fact's

Engines, Gearboxes, Transfers, Tailshafts, Diffs, axles and CVs

Postby ArrowsWA on Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:15 am

I have been looking at this new range of oil, fully synthetic, but noticed a clause regarding its suitability, something about not to be used if engine is fitted with a particulate filter or some such thing, my question is how do we know if our vehicles have or don't have this and what is is it?below is an exert from the Penrite web site Sin Engine Oil 10, is a fully synthetic oil blended with a combination of PAO and ester plus highly shear stable viscosity modifiers and additives. Sin Engine Oil 10 exceeds API SM/CF and ACEA A3/B4 and JASO MA.Below is the statement on suitability of above productPenrite SIN Diesel is the ultimate oil for use in dieselengines operating in extreme conditions (that are notequipped with a DPF [Diesel Particulate Filter].
Live life now, Tomorrow might not get here
ArrowsWA

Postby Jitsukablue on Fri Aug 01, 2008 1:33 pm

It may have something in it that damages the part. filter in the exhaust? This was covered under a thread, and much debate ensued whether or not the tritons have a part. filter. I think the outcome was not.
He who dies with the most toys, wins
It's not the size of the dog in the fight that matters...
Jitsukablue

Postby FRDESP on Fri Aug 01, 2008 2:39 pm

Tritons Dont have DPF the Pajeros do.My understanding of them is they are like a Cataltic Convertor but for diesels.But the wrong oil creates soot and blocks them.Correct me if i am wrong please.Mike8-)
FRDESP
Platinum Subscriber

Postby ArrowsWA on Fri Aug 01, 2008 2:41 pm

Thx Frdesp that was what i needed 2 know8-)
ArrowsWA

Postby erne on Fri Aug 01, 2008 5:04 pm

I think the oil you found is perfect for our cars! ACEA A3/B4 is what needed!.
erne

Postby Jitsukablue on Sat Aug 02, 2008 2:02 am

Cataltic Converts are not the same as part. filters as I understand it, although some may have since combined into one unit.
They use Cat. Conv. to reduce NOx, CO & HC emisions in diesels/petrols. The Triton would have to have this to meet Euro standards.
Part filters just trap particulate polution and 'burn' them off every so often. Diesels with part filters emit fewer particulates that petrols without, although petrol particulates are just as bad as diesel particulates, as it's the stuff you can't see that gets down nice and deep into your lungs.
He who dies with the most toys, wins
It's not the size of the dog in the fight that matters...
Jitsukablue

Postby ArrowsWA on Sat Aug 02, 2008 7:49 am

Hi all this is the reply I got from Penrite, based on the following statement from them and they attached some data sheets to back up this, i will be using this product in futer (diesels only)

SIN Diesel, SAE 5W-40, is our synthetic oil recommendation for your model vehicle.

We do not expect a Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) in the 2007 ML Triton. The DPF is situated in the exhaust and is closer to the engine than a catalytic converter would be.

A vehicle fitted with a DPF (such as the auto Pajero but not the manual) needs a specific oil which must be low in Sulphated Ash, Phosphorus and Sulphur (SAPS), such as Enviro+ 5W-30 or Enviro+ 5W-40 .

The best way to find out if you have a DPF is to contact the Mitsubishi dealer. Or if you could scan and email a copy of the oil specifications page(s) from your Owners’ Handbook, I should be able to confirm whether or not a different oil is required but we believe the current Triton is not equipped .

I have attached an information sheet as well as a technical bulletin on SIN Diesel, Enviro+ 5W-30 and Enviro+ 5W-40 for your perusal.

All the best,

Fiona Luc

Technical Officer
Penrite Oil Company
Ph 1800 110 080

Ph 61 3 9801 0877
Fax 61 3 9801 0977
ArrowsWA

Re: Penrite new SIN diesel oil fact's

Postby FRDESP on Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:44 pm

I have ordered this oil today from Penrite rep will start carrying it in stock.It looks like the ducks nuts.When i get it in i will get a price up for it.Mike
FRDESP
Platinum Subscriber

Postby ArrowsWA on Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:07 pm

Frdesp would you mind putting 20 liters aside for me,?
if its in before the powerlines run I'll pickup and pay u for it then if thats ok cheers
ArrowsWA

Postby FRDESP on Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:59 pm

They are not doing it in 20s only 6 litres and 205 litrers.So 6s it will be will find out exact price tomorrow and post it up.Mike
FRDESP
Platinum Subscriber

Postby ArrowsWA on Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:22 am

Ok Frdesp i'll take 3 at 6 ltr no problems Thx
ArrowsWA

Postby FRDESP on Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:17 pm

Got in touch with Penrite again today the oil is so new they did not have any in stock.But they assure me it will be in tomorrow and shipped by the end of the week.Not sure if you are interested but i can get the genuine oil filters for $39.80 including gst.Mike
FRDESP
Platinum Subscriber

Postby ArrowsWA on Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:31 pm

Frdesp, how id you go with the oil n filter, if you will have by this Saturday 3 x 6ltr plus 1 x filter how much $ to bring along Cheers
ArrowsWA

Return to Drive Train Components