Lokka differential lock

Engines, Gearboxes, Transfers, Tailshafts, Diffs, axles and CVs

Re: Lokka differential lock

Postby triton_guru on Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:08 pm

So been reading as much as i can into the looks and have to say i have heard loads with the centre pin breaking anyone else had this problem?
triton_guru

Postby Cowboy Dave on Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:42 pm

I've certainly heard of a few on the forum. Mattz was one. Alco another. A bloke in qld and one down south somewhere. Pretty sure they had a dud batch of pins but how would you know for sure?
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby 4wd26 on Thu Jul 03, 2014 4:56 am

Froggy, ax9
Getting Out There
Sucks to be you, glad I bought a 3.2 :o
4wd26

Postby c-dale on Thu Jul 03, 2014 6:55 am

Was there a batch number or anything to go off? I bought one in a group buy 2 or more years back that still isnt installed :oops: so would be good if there was something I could check pre install.
c-dale
Platinum Subscriber

Postby 4wd26 on Thu Jul 03, 2014 7:09 am

^^^ reading between the lines it was about that time that the faulty batch seems to have occurred :(
Getting Out There
4wd26

Postby macca002 on Thu Jul 03, 2014 7:11 am

Pins are super cheap to buy c-dale. When I re-did my diff seals in my last rig decided to also do the pins. New pins cost me $15 direct from 4wdsystems.

Cheap peace of mind IMO ;)
macca002

Postby c-dale on Thu Jul 03, 2014 7:26 am

Thanks 26

Thats good news Macca, might swap em out to be sure. In no rush to have it installed as our cape trip keeps getting pushed back. Need to stop having kids, pesky little buggers play havoc with your travel plans. :lol:
c-dale
Platinum Subscriber

Postby macca002 on Thu Jul 03, 2014 7:35 am

c-dale wrote:Thanks 26

Thats good news Macca, might swap em out to be sure. In no rush to have it installed as our cape trip keeps getting pushed back. Need to stop having kids, pesky little buggers play havoc with your travel plans. :lol:

HAHA - yes I know all about kids. Mine are now at the age where they love to jump in the truck and head out. Only took them 2 years and DVD players :D
macca002

Postby Froggy on Sat Jul 05, 2014 3:18 pm

4wd26 wrote:Froggy, ax9

Nothing to do with a pin. The damn thing munted my transfer case by overriding the front diff actuator and constantly spinning the output shaft of the transfer case. The drive chain couldn't cope with this and filled the box with filings.
I wouldn't be putting one anywhere near my car unless you could fit free wheeling hubs.
Froggy

Postby Kegsy on Sat Jul 05, 2014 3:23 pm

Doesn't work like that...
Triton be gone :cry:
Kegsy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby triton_guru on Mon Jul 07, 2014 11:30 pm

Does anyone know the legal status of a auto locker? I recently read in a old 4wd action magazine that they were illegal as they can not be deactivated from within the drivers seat? Not sure if the legislation has changed or not
triton_guru

Postby mattz on Tue Jul 08, 2014 3:19 am

I've never heard that one before. :?
Maybe they are referring to the rear fitted auto lokka?
The front, can be deactivated from the drivers seat by taking it out of 4wd. ;)
THE ONLY DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A MAN AND A BOY IS
THE PRICE OF HIS TOYS
mattz

Postby triton_guru on Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:43 am

Haha that's what o thought but yh its in the magazine but they don't specify states or rear or front, just a thought that's all lol
triton_guru

Postby NowForThe5th on Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:44 am

Not illegal because they will allow differential action, i.e. outside wheel to turn faster than the inside one.

Yet another urban myth promoted by those who don't have a clue. :roll:
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby triton_guru on Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:41 am

Haha yh well its in the magazine, it was the issue where they spoke about light vehicle modifications etc regardless good to know cheers 5th
triton_guru

Postby triton_guru on Thu Jul 10, 2014 12:00 pm

Deposit has been paid ;P couple weeks and the Lil triton will be a Lil mountain goat haha cheers for all your guys help with making the decision i think i have chosen wisely :D
triton_guru

Postby MN2014GLX on Sun Aug 03, 2014 2:09 pm

Want to get one of these for my MN GLX. How does the transfer case cope with having a locked front end? I have had a lokka before, but not in something that didn't have freewheeling hubs. I have read that the older triton with the actuator meant 1 side was always disconnected when in 2wd, but the later models don't have this and (if not mistaken) rely on the open diff and transfer case to deal with the locked hubs. Therefore wouldnt locking the diff put all the load on to transfer case? The lokka does disengage when turning, but I suspect load is being delt with transfer case too?
MN2014GLX

Postby triton_guru on Wed Aug 13, 2014 6:20 am

Just an update i have installed the lokka and what a beast of a thing haha i am well impressed with the ability of it anyone who has doubts about getting one dont they work and they work well, have transformed the triton into an absolute weapon, thanks again everyone who helped me to make the right decision and also for the install, cant go wrong with a locked front end for around 500 haha
triton_guru

Postby Sharkey on Wed Dec 23, 2015 8:51 pm

Hi triton_guru,

I just wanted to know if you were still impressed with the Lokka auto locker? I'm researching this as we speak and I'm seeing that the auto Lokka gets a reasonably good write up.
I have the MN 11 GLX-R and I'm wanting to know which diff this should be fitted to, and if fitting one of these does it have an adverse impact when towing caravan?

Happy to go with whatever the rest of the Triton owners recommend but at the end of the day it must be reliable as 90% of my driving actually on the bitumen!

Cheers,

Sharkey
Sharkey

Postby L200Shogun on Wed Dec 23, 2015 9:01 pm

Sharkey wrote:Hi triton_guru,

I just wanted to know if you were still impressed with the Lokka auto locker? I'm researching this as we speak and I'm seeing that the auto Lokka gets a reasonably good write up.
I have the MN 11 GLX-R and I'm wanting to know which diff this should be fitted to, and if fitting one of these does it have an adverse impact when towing caravan?

Happy to go with whatever the rest of the Triton owners recommend but at the end of the day it must be reliable as 90% of my driving actually on the bitumen!

Cheers,

Sharkey

GLXR
Not a good idea if you have Super Select ie AWD
L200Shogun

Postby triton_guru on Wed Dec 23, 2015 9:24 pm

I would put the lokka as more reliable than any other sort of lokka as there are less moving parts and you do not rely on air or electrics to operate it. Ive had mine for a while and its been fantastic i cant fault it. As written above if you have super select it will be no good but when your in 2wd it does not affect the driving of the car it will be no different to how it drives now.

If i was to buy a new car now i would 100% put a auto locker I n the front and shim the rear lsd. i hope this has been helpful mate oh and also once the front diff is out of the car it should onlg take 30 mins if that to install :D

Merry Christmas
triton_guru

Postby Sharkey on Thu Dec 24, 2015 4:51 am

Thanks Mate, this is really good advice.
So just to confirm the combination seeing I'm a little rusty when it comes to the drive train, so you would put a Lokka in the front diff and then leave the rear as is? What would I have in the rear now as we speak given mine is a MN 11 GLX-R? I know it doesn't have the factory diff lock so would it incorporate a factory LSD?
I use the vehicle for towing a caravan quite a bit so I'm looking for something that will not affect that in any form. I've heard the ARB air locker can attribute to excess play within the diff centre when towing.
Anyway thanks for your input, I'm just researching whats the best combination based on everyone else's feedback before I go
ahead and make the mods.
Cheers
Sharkey

Postby 4wd26 on Thu Dec 24, 2015 6:07 am

Rear diff in your glxr will be open, no mechanical traction aid due to the vehicle having traction control

The auto locker in your super select will prohibit the use of super select option on the hiway, if you never use this function, you can fit the auto locker- but do so with that knowledge, it will bind and damage the diff if used in that mode

No problems in 2h 4h or 4l with the usual proviso of using them according to the manual just not SS

Air locker leaves the diff centre essentially standard for on road use, can use SS, and the vehicle as the manual recommends

Never heard of excess play once a locker is fitted, is essentially the same process internal fitment as a auto locker, fitment is key
Getting Out There
4wd26

Postby mattz on Thu Dec 24, 2015 6:18 am

4wd26 wrote:
The auto locker in your super select will prohibit the use of super select option on the hiway, if you never use this function, you can fit the auto locker- but do so with that knowledge, it will bind and damage the diff if used in that mode

It won't prohibit use of super select and won't bind and damage the diff it will just be engaged and give feedback through the steering wheel while super select is engaged. It will still temporarily unlock when turning etc.

Probably not ideal for super select vehicles but if you don't use super select on road much it's a viable option.
THE ONLY DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A MAN AND A BOY IS
THE PRICE OF HIS TOYS
mattz

Postby triton_guru on Thu Dec 24, 2015 6:36 am

Sharkey wrote:Thanks Mate, this is really good advice.
So just to confirm the combination seeing I'm a little rusty when it comes to the drive train, so you would put a Lokka in the front diff and then leave the rear as is? What would I have in the rear now as we speak given mine is a MN 11 GLX-R? I know it doesn't have the factory diff lock so would it incorporate a factory LSD?
I use the vehicle for towing a caravan quite a bit so I'm looking for something that will not affect that in any form. I've heard the ARB air locker can attribute to excess play within the diff centre when towing.
Anyway thanks for your input, I'm just researching whats the best combination based on everyone else's feedback before I go
ahead and make the mods.
Cheers

Your going the right way about it mate and asking the right questions aswell. I much prefer the set and forget method which is why im a bigg fan of auto locker jn the front and lsd in the back as you dont have to do anything to engage all 4 wherls other than select 4wd. Have you got super select? Because if you dont the other points being made by everyone are irrelevant.

hood luck with it mate and if i can help in anyway send us a message and i will do my best
triton_guru

PreviousNext

Return to Drive Train Components